PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for scary jumps/obstacles

Anawazor
Apr. 7, 2009, 04:38 AM
I'm a huge fan of conquering "scary" things.
Tarps, noisey bags, strollers, umbrellas, basically anything a horse can consider evil.

What are your home-made ideas for frightening jumps?

LookinSouth
Apr. 7, 2009, 07:00 AM
those big black drain pipes.
decorative scarecrows.

these are two things my horse has not been fond of and not a whole lot bothers him.

A flipped over canoe at a local schooling HT has been known to elimnate alot of people on XC.

cobiemurphy
Apr. 7, 2009, 08:12 AM
Get a big sheet of black or coloured plastic, or canvas, or even old bed sheets.. drape it over an upright/vertical jump, secure the bottoms of the material on each side with another rail.. very scary! You can keep it an upright shape, resembling a wall, by securing the bottoms with the rails directly at the base of the jump on each side, or make triangle shape by placing the poles out further on each side.

To simulate a ditch in the arena, use your black plastic or sheet on the ground, fold it horizontally so you have a long, narrow rectangle on the ground. Start with it maybe a foot or two wide, with a pole on each side again to secure it.

BeaSting
Apr. 7, 2009, 09:07 AM
Balloons.

stormdancer753
Apr. 7, 2009, 09:14 AM
My two favorites:

1) Pinwheels in a row, beneath the jump ... or just by the standards.

2) Cardboard life-size cut-out of William Shattner/Captain Kirk, in a variety of poses: Next to the standard, underneath the jump lying flat, on top of the filler, on the ground to canter over ... even standing in the middle of a four-stride line. No kidding, this was one of the funnest lessons I've ever had! My crazy horse could have cared less, but the others found it totally bizarre. :cool:

gg4918
Apr. 7, 2009, 09:21 AM
BIG OPEN BLUE TARP
My fearless USET horse/big jumper had a heart attack when he saw this. Open water at USET finals was easy after that.

MissintheSouth
Apr. 7, 2009, 10:03 AM
Big. Neon Yellow. Wall.

My trainer had a big 3'6" wall in the ring that he painted with blinding yellow paint. I think he must have painted it with road paint b/c it sort of glowed. For some reason it spooked everyone.

One lesson we did the sheet thing which was pretty interesting. Most of our horses were fine when it was just hung straight down, but when he pulled the sides out to make a triangle, it became a real scary jump for most of the horses.

ClassyRide
Apr. 7, 2009, 11:04 AM
2) Cardboard life-size cut-out of William Shattner/Captain Kirk, in a variety of poses: Next to the standard, underneath the jump lying flat, on top of the filler, on the ground to canter over ... even standing in the middle of a four-stride line. No kidding, this was one of the funnest lessons I've ever had! My crazy horse could have cared less, but the others found it totally bizarre. :cool:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's awesome! :cool:

BeastieSlave
Apr. 7, 2009, 11:07 AM
At this time of year I like to stuff my brush box with brightly-colored Easter basket grass; you know, the pink, yellow, blue, and green shiny plastic suff? It goes on sale CHEAP next Monday ;)

caradino
Apr. 7, 2009, 11:15 AM

this is quite possibly the most amazing thing i have ever heard of.

and to spin off on the easter grass idea... christmas trees! you can lay old christmas trees underneath/against jumps, prop them up on standards...

Jo
Apr. 7, 2009, 12:19 PM
When I was growing up, we had a huge triple bar -- that was black and red. I have no idea if it scared the riders or the horses more, but I know it looked scary as heck to me!

Petstorejunkie
Apr. 7, 2009, 12:26 PM
Dangling soda cans on string from a single bar verticle. they clink in the wind, and move....
booga booga :eek:

mortebella
Apr. 7, 2009, 12:37 PM
Y'all have inspired me...has anybody ever thought about those battery operated Xmas lights that have a "chase" pattern that goes really fast? They're the ones in a plastic tube, not separate bulbs on a wire kind of thing. They're really made for outdoors, hence the battery power. They're pretty tacky, actually, and were more popular a few years ago. Probably wouldn't be that effective til around dusk and you turned your ring lights on, but then - SHEW! Might not really bother the horses at all, though. I think it would give me a seizure :lol:

Hunterlover17
Apr. 7, 2009, 12:40 PM
Every year we drag our old undecorated Christmas tree into the indoor and lay it flat under a jump - it still has shiny tinsel on it that moves with the slightest breeze.

Jleegriffith
Apr. 7, 2009, 12:42 PM
Dollar store is your friend;) I recently bought a bunch of fake flowers, garland, some bags that you can stuff full of leaves making big bags to put under the jumps, pinwheels, flower puts and the list of crazy stuff their goes on.

I also use the black drainage pipes in various sizes. Fake christmas tree's for under the jumps you can take the branches and fluff them out making lots of filling under a nice airy vertical or whatever else. I have some weird looking wood pallets that I use underneath a vertical. I got them on the side of the road.

Mia412
Apr. 7, 2009, 01:23 PM
We love to buy the wildest patterned plastic tableclothes (always on sale after every holiday) we can find to drape over our jumps. Once we hung the sheet from our evil small pony mare on a rail - our "steady eddie" lesson horse (who is terrified of her) didn't want to go near it! Use tinsel, those pinwheels stuck in a brush box, paper streamers, whatever you can find. Thanks to a neighbor, we've got a large inflatable alligator pool toy to play with this year!

Now if I could just find a life-size person cut-out . . . :D

touchstone-
Apr. 7, 2009, 01:31 PM
BIG OPEN BLUE TARP
My fearless USET horse/big jumper had a heart attack when he saw this. Open water at USET finals was easy after that.

Just make sure you secure it firmly. My jumps-through-fire equitation horse didn't blink at the tarp when we were jumping it. But when it got loose and started chasing him . . .

Personal Champ
Apr. 7, 2009, 02:06 PM
Oooh, I have a life sized Dale Earnhardt Jr cutout - he's even in camo!! I may have to try him - he's no Captian Kirk, but still.....

McVillesMom
Apr. 7, 2009, 09:46 PM
Inflatable pool toys. I had an awesome inflatable alligator a couple of years ago, but he sprang a leak. I may have to go shopping for his replacement :D You can usually find good stuff cheap at Wal-Mart, etc this time of year!

EventerAJ
Apr. 7, 2009, 10:32 PM
McVillesMom beat me to it! Pool toys (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v103/aljohnd/Horse%20Pics/ArticatPoolToys.jpg). Inflatable rings are cheap, hang them from poles with baling twine. They sway in the wind, give a little "substance" to an airy oxer or vertical. Most horses don't seem to mind nearly as much as their riders. ;)

I stock up at the end of the season... around September they're on clearance at Walmart, three for a dollar or less!

Anawazor
Apr. 8, 2009, 05:32 AM
This is awesome, wonderful ideas!
I had thought about draping something over a vertical, love the table cloth ideas, I was just going to use a tarp. Hadn't thought of pulling the edges out to create the tee-pee effect, I've been working on adding width to my jumps, that is beautiful- two birds, one stone!

I'm going off to see what kind of stuff the "junk stores" have to offer. This might also be fun to set up at the next barn show, for an added obstacle :)

A row of road cones are fun too- pinwheels would spruce them up, and add some height too!

I was going to use some shavings bags also, just stand them up in a row.

Since I've started this quest everything I look at is being evaluated for how safe/unsafe it would be as a jump. :lol:

... my poor horse.

(Will send pictures)
Are there any "Captain Kirk lesson" photos out there?

_downpour_
Apr. 8, 2009, 05:46 AM
wow what a great thread! i vote for it to be put into the favourites category

and im def. going to be trying these out!

gmv567
Apr. 8, 2009, 09:37 AM
Hmmm... lets see, we have a COW jump, the blue barrels, a christmas tree, I think I jumped a bike once, but my favorite scary jump is the LIVE kitty who insisted on standing on top of the front rail of a three foot oxer. My horse didn't find him to scary at all! Interesting.

eventchic33
Apr. 8, 2009, 10:54 AM
Here is one that is not exactly scary for the horse but will mess a few riders up. We had a homemade panel jump as a kid that had a stop sign painted on one side and "go for it" on the other. Can you guess which side had more refusals?
For some reason that stop sign made the kids all back off and stop.

caradino
Apr. 8, 2009, 11:03 AM
Here is one that is not exactly scary for the horse but will mess a few riders up. We had a homemade panel jump as a kid that had a stop sign painted on one side and "go for it" on the other. Can you guess which side had more refusals?
For some reason that stop sign made the kids all back off and stop.

oh interesting!! you can really psych yourself out with stuff like that.

Mia412
Apr. 8, 2009, 03:31 PM
Anawazor, I think having a "backyard jumper" type of class is a great idea for an in-barn fun show!!! You could make the fences low and be very creative.

jumpingpercheron
Apr. 8, 2009, 05:07 PM
Road cones underneath a vertical.

Good thread, lots of ideas in here!

gasrgoose
Apr. 8, 2009, 05:17 PM
How about a guy with a camera and a huge lens? I've thought about walking around during lessons with one. Those camera guys will scare a pony/horse right out from underneath you!!!
We probably should all change the looks of our jumps more often. But sometimes we have a hard time just changing the course at home (moving the jumps isn't near as much fun as riding):D

smilton
Apr. 8, 2009, 05:58 PM
we used to line one side of the area with the string of flags that are found a car lots. They are bright and they make alot of noise in the wind. Wind chimes and pink flamingos are another fun idea.

Mia412
Apr. 8, 2009, 07:15 PM
How about a guy with a camera and a huge lens? I've thought about walking around during lessons with one. Those camera guys will scare a pony/horse right out from underneath you!!!

Fabulous idea! The first time one of my young horses saw a photographer in the ring at a show he was fascinated. He wasn't scared, but he certainly wasn't paying any attention to me! I bet it would be helpful to have the camera guy use his flash randomly too.

Secretariat1194
Apr. 8, 2009, 08:03 PM
Like some people have mention. Set up a vertical with a horse cooler over it in a different color. Jump that and gradually raise jump. Hope it works! Best of luck.

ThatScaryChick
Apr. 8, 2009, 08:24 PM
Lots of wonderful ideas! I will have to keep track of this thread.

neigh.neigh
Apr. 8, 2009, 09:39 PM
We jump a lot of crazy things before finals time: tarps, kiddie pools, tree stumps, wheel barrows, goats (yes we have a pet goat and he likes to sit under the jumps), chairs, we created a phycodelic jump too http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2397467610104745619KURGhb?vhost=pets)

amastrike
Apr. 9, 2009, 12:56 AM
Love this thread! We still have our Christmas tree, I'm going to take it out to the barn soon. I LOVE the pool float idea. I wonder if the Dollar Store would carry stuff.

I've always wanted to have a good liverpool base, fill it with water, and put in some rubber duckies :D .

Whimsically Smart
Apr. 9, 2009, 03:18 AM
We probably should all change the looks of our jumps more often. But sometimes we have a hard time just changing the course at home (moving the jumps isn't near as much fun as riding):D

Speaking of horses fascinated by camera lenses...

http://www.new.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=652408&l=664240b9b5&id=514509555

...excuse my awful eq.

stormdancer753
Apr. 9, 2009, 11:22 AM
Alas, no pictures from the lesson with Captain Kirk. Most assuredly, if we do it again, there will be footage! :yes:

More of my favorites.... Where I used to live (Central Valley/California), there was a huge problem with people dumping trash in vacant fields. We scavenged for jumps ... set 'em up where we found 'em, would have to ride across the county to get to the jumps. (Yes, we'd clean up the mess, too....)

Anyway, it was thrilling to find couches and/or mattresses. You can prop the mattress on two buckets, to make it ramp-y. Couches: self-explanatory! Shopping carts make great standards, if you can find palm fronds or something else to use as poles/filler in between.

My first mattress jump had a spacemen theme in blues and dirty grays. It's such a shame when people throw out perfectly good [for jumping] couches!!

One time we picked up a piece of lavender piping 6' long X 2'6"+ wide, abandoned at roadside from a city project, took it home, painted "SPEED BUMP" on the side, and used it on skinny rails. It encouraged a round jump, if you can imagine. :)

_downpour_
Aug. 24, 2009, 02:24 AM
How about little mandarin/fruit trees? My pony freeeeaked when he saw them!!