PDA

View Full Version : Someone posted alternative EPM Marquis treatment....

shawneeAcres
Apr. 6, 2009, 12:08 PM
SOmeone posted on my post:

http://chronicleforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=198005

about an alternative treatment method they used from a vet in Camden recommendations. It seems to no longer be there (or I am blind!), please PM me as I wish to speak with you further, my vet thinks it might be something to try out, TIA!!!!

Iride
Apr. 6, 2009, 12:42 PM
You mean Navigator?

mroades
Apr. 6, 2009, 01:12 PM
diclazuril...my vet in camden does it, your vet could call him about it

mroades
Apr. 6, 2009, 01:13 PM
and theres a newer cheaper on called toltazuril that they are doing in camden as well

shawneeAcres
Apr. 6, 2009, 01:20 PM
No what I am talking about is SOMEONE responded on my other post about their vet having them do Marquis, but not dose every day, instead one full tube every 10 days I think it was, and I want to talk to their vet to see how well it has worked.

mroades
Apr. 6, 2009, 01:38 PM
well, fwiw I wont do Marquis anymore...every single one relapsed. I havent had one that I did the diclazuril on relapse (or reinfect)

Sing Mia Song
Apr. 6, 2009, 01:46 PM
Navigator is nitazoxanide. It is still daily for 28 days (but at an escalating dose rate).

Diclazuril is the generic name for Protazil. Also 28 days.

OP, if you find out the information, will you post it? Thanks!

shawneeAcres
Apr. 6, 2009, 01:51 PM
Navigator is nitazoxanide. It is still daily for 28 days (but at an escalating dose rate).

Diclazuril is the generic name for Protazil. Also 28 days.

OP, if you find out the information, will you post it? Thanks!

Yeah it is driving me crazy cause I KNOW it was in there, someone must have deleted it! It was a pony jumper in CAmden, SC, she said several horses in the area were treated conventionally and hers was treated every ten days (or perhaps she said every week?) with a FULL tube. Hers recovered well and is competing, the other horses did not respond to the conventional treatment and then were repeated using this protocol and they also responded. I KNOW I didn't imagine it!!

mroades
Apr. 6, 2009, 08:05 PM
Hmmm, we do one week of diclazuril iv once a day....

Iride
Apr. 6, 2009, 08:55 PM
Ask your vet?

MHM
Apr. 6, 2009, 08:56 PM
Which is the newer one that can be risky to the horse?

I know somebody who had a (very nice) horse die from one of the newer EPM treatments- not the Marquis.

MelantheLLC
Apr. 6, 2009, 09:02 PM
I got an email from someone who described the following protocol:

We did the first box of Marquis like this: 1/2 tube, off, 1/2 tube, off, 1 tube, off, 1 tube, off, 1 tube, off, then started box #2 of Marquis on the 28 day regimen. Dr. Mackay at UF suggested this, and he's been doing a LOT of research.

Just fyi; nothing to do with your former post, this thread just reminded me of it.