PDA

View Full Version : Childrens Eq 3' vs Eq 12-14 3' What is the difference?

Big Holsteiner Mare
Apr. 6, 2009, 08:57 AM
C Rated show, daughter is 13 and does hunters and eq 2'9" to 3". Next scheduled show in April offers childrens eq @3' and an eq division 12-14 @3' that immediately follows. What is the difference between the two? Would a judge be looking for something different in one vs another? Thanks!

make x it x so
Apr. 6, 2009, 09:01 AM
Both of these are unrated divisions with USEF, so your best bet is to read the prizelist specs and figure out what the difference is. In my area, children's eq usually is just a simple hunter course which the children's hunters use as a warm-up class, but this could be different in other areas.

heartinrye
Apr. 6, 2009, 09:01 AM
The childrens eq may be a simpler course, maybe with a rollback, where as the 12-14 may only have 1 or 2 related distances.
I see you're in SWFL, where are you showing, I can probably better answer this question that way.

joiedevie99
Apr. 6, 2009, 09:02 AM
I don't have the prizeist obvoiusly, but chances are that children's eq is restricted to riders eligible for children's hunter (i.e. 3' riders only). The age level eq is likely open to anyone in that age bracket, even if they are currently showing in the 3'6".

Big Holsteiner Mare
Apr. 6, 2009, 09:10 AM
The childrens eq may be a simpler course, maybe with a rollback, where as the 12-14 may only have 1 or 2 related distances.
I see you're in SWFL, where are you showing, I can probably better answer this question that way.

Hi - the show is at Fox Lea Farms in Venice. There is nothing more specific in the prizelist to differentiate between the two....

heartinrye
Apr. 6, 2009, 09:14 AM
Ok, I've showed there, there is realllllly good chance the courses will be exactly the same, so its up to you which one you want to do! They are really good about add/scratch there so if you go look in the morning and the courses are actually different (very, very small chance) you can pick which one will suit your daughter/horse best.

Big Holsteiner Mare
Apr. 6, 2009, 05:33 PM
What if they are the same? Why would they run two identical classes?

findeight
Apr. 6, 2009, 05:42 PM
Ah, age group Eq IS on a USEF national standard and 12-14 do 3'.

Childrens Eq is non rated nationally and depends on the nameyourstate HJA requirements.

Of course non USEF nationally rated shows do whatever the nameyourstate HJA allows.

As to why a show would offer both? To allow a 15 to 17 year old to show at 3' when their age group Eq is 3'3" or 3'6".

Hunter/JumperMom
Apr. 6, 2009, 06:12 PM
they way I understood it was the Children's Eq was more of a "huntery" course, where as the age group was more in line with the "big eq courses". At least at HITS Saugerties, the big eq kids never did the childrens - (maiden, novice, limit, etc) they did the age groups. Not sure this is the same thing or not, but just what I witnessed. When daughters horse was having issues (when was it not!!), we stuck to the childrens/intermediate, and stayed away from the age group.

heartinrye
Apr. 6, 2009, 06:26 PM

They would, and most likely will.
At their C shows, usually there are 2 jumpers courses per day, thats it, the jump heights just go up and down. They are not known for exciting course design in the least.

spina
Apr. 6, 2009, 06:33 PM
Ah, age group Eq IS on a USEF national standard and 12-14 do 3'.

Childrens Eq is non rated nationally and depends on the nameyourstate HJA requirements.

As to why a show would offer both? To allow a 15 to 17 year old to show at 3' when their age group Eq is 3'3" or 3'6".

or to allow the 11 & unders to show at 3' when their age group eq is 2'3" or 2'6".
I think most of these unrated eq options are just to give kids another class - many need a warm-up for a 3' medal class and if they're younger (or older) than 12-14 they're out of luck.
Usually these classes have identical fences & courses and are judged the same as any other eq class - they're just open to ALL juniors.

findeight
Apr. 6, 2009, 07:00 PM
Usually these classes have identical fences & courses and are judged the same as any other eq class - they're just open to ALL juniors.

Or not. Some do restrict to one or the other...that 17 year old may not do the 3' Childrens and her 3'3" or 3'6" regular age group. Depends on the nametyourstate HJA that actually gives points for this and what they set as eligibility requirements.

pinwheel
Apr. 6, 2009, 07:57 PM
The 12-14 eq. will probably be much more competitive. Around here, at least, many of the Big Eq riders also do the age group equitation. The Children's eq. is probably limited to those showing under 3' and will probably be just 3' riders, therefore less competitive...the age group equitation is actually quite competitive because it frequently has kids that are showing the the big eq, the junior hunters, and the children's/junior jumpers in it as well. This is probably especially because age group eq. has national points, Children's doesn't. I do the Juniors and Big Eq. and frequently do the age group equitation as well.

mroades
Apr. 6, 2009, 08:08 PM

UMMM $$$$$

Big Holsteiner Mare
Apr. 6, 2009, 09:33 PM
Now I understand it. Thanks so much!