PDA

View Full Version : Showing under registered vs barn name

paint hunter
Apr. 6, 2009, 01:15 AM
So, if you have a registered horse, do you show him/her under his registered name or do you show under a different name. My guy has a good registered name but I have always shown him under his barn name because it's cute (small schooling shows). Well, now we are going to our first rated show (boy, you folks weren't kidding about all the extra fees one has to pay, eg USEF, USHJA, local associations, etc.) and I don't know whether to use his registered name (he is APHA) so he could possibly be eligible for OCAP points (it's an APHA thing) or stay with his call name.

Can you enter with the barn/call name and then put "aka 'registered name'" on the entry form?

Dapple Dawn Farm
Apr. 6, 2009, 07:50 AM
My horse's registered name (jockey club) is Expensive Stripe...eeehhhh. So I show under a different name. If your horse has a cute registered name I'd use that and stick with it.

Queen Latisha
Apr. 6, 2009, 08:02 AM
If you are showing in rated show, the horse needs to be registered with the USEF. Pick a name you like, register the horse and that will be the name he will show under.
In the past, I always had OTTBs and the papered names were awful and I always changed them.:cool:

dghunter
Apr. 6, 2009, 08:14 AM
We definitely changed our OTTB's name as quickly as possible! :lol: We did keep the other horse's name as it is quite cute and fits him well. If you like it then go with it, if not then use the barn name :yes:

Hunter Mom
Apr. 6, 2009, 08:39 AM
Mine is AQHA and her registered name is awful. When I took her to a rated last year, I did her USEF registration under a name I liked - the same one we use on our local circuits. I don't know how points are figured for the APHA thing. However, I don't think you'd see aka often.

make x it x so
Apr. 6, 2009, 09:05 AM
I have an OTTB and I actually *gasp* LIKED his registered name. It's not great or anything (Hero's Testimony), but it wasn't one of those ugly weird names. I kept it for USEF shows because I couldn't think of a better name, and I figured that it would be a nice tribute to his failed career as a racehorse (a career that, according to his stats, never actually happened lol he has 0 starts with earnings of $0- they probably realized how slow he was right after they tattooed him).

Basically, go with whatever name you like, but if you want the points for that Paint Horse thing you mentioned, it's probably better to go with his registered name.

chawley
Apr. 6, 2009, 12:15 PM
Most everyone I know shows under a 'barn' name. I use my horse's registered name because I had the luxury of breeding and raising him, so I named him something I liked! :)

If you're concerned about points crossing over to APHA, then I would contact them first and ask how that works. If it's not an issue, select whatever name you like and register it with USEF.

findeight
Apr. 6, 2009, 12:25 PM
The typical horse show software program used by USEF rated and most other shows these days does not allow for addition of any "aka" and is somewhat limited character wise-won't take real long names. USEF also does not really care about tracking anything for non affiliated organizations-can't blame them there.

I am sure that if you want to use an "aka" the APHA has a way of correlating that with a registered name. You'd be the one to forward the results to them anyway unless they have recently created a department to moniter USEF results looking for their members. Check there first.

Seven-up
Apr. 6, 2009, 07:32 PM
I use a show name at shows, which is almost never the registered name. (Who names those TB's anyway?:winkgrin:)

The thing that annoys me (and this is just a personal pet peeve so it's no big deal) is when a horse is Fluffy at some shows and then Fluff of Kings at other shows. It doesn't really matter if you're not chasing points, or trying to sell the horse (in which case changing names adds to the confusion.) It just always leaves me scratching my head, because I know that horse as something else.

That said, when I was a kid we used to change our barnmates' horses' show names as a joke all the time. This was at very informal schooling shows where it was pretty much our barn, and a couple other local barns showing. We knew the announcer, and we'd run up at the last second and tell him to call "Man of Honor" "Fluffity Puff Marshmallow" or "Fat Tub of Lard" instead.:lol: My trainer got a kick out of it, saying it was a good lesson on how to keep your composure even when crazy things were going on.

EAY
Apr. 6, 2009, 07:49 PM
I have two OTTBs and I'm kind of superstitious about changing their JC names, particularly for one guy who was 12 when I got him after a long racing career. That being said, a lot of TB names are really awful and I've just been lucky in that regard.

2 tbs
Apr. 6, 2009, 08:49 PM
Neither. I show my horse under a totally different name :) Barn name: Trevor. Registered name: Betterdo'er. Show name: Hard To Imagine. He earned his show name! He tried to make himself useless so many times-long string of colics, various feet issues (these are ongoing but I deal with them), pulled shoulder muscle, rain rot and other skin conditions, he put his leg through a stall wall - yeah, he has been know as "the master of disaster" and "scratch n dent" around the barn :cool::lol:. It was really hard to believe he came back from the leg in wall thing and since Hard To Imagine is one of my all time favorite Pearl Jam songs...the name seemed appropriate :winkgrin:

My retired guy is Logan. His registered name is Island Volcano. He's flaming red so I usually showed him under that name. He had many names when I showed at open fun shows (we used to do w/t barrels, pole bending, trail etc - he always won those classes...big TB trots rock!).

If your horse has a nice registered name then why not go with it? I'd be using Betterdo'er if it didn't sound weird (he's a grandson of Seattle Slew...why couldn't he have a cool Slew name??? :sigh: ).

FolsomBlues
Apr. 6, 2009, 11:07 PM
I have a TB that is registered as "Gone Forever". I have never used that name. His barn name is Reno and when we go to shows he is Folsom Blues. If his registered name is cute, just use that, especially if you can get points with it.

mypaintwattie
Apr. 7, 2009, 12:24 AM
If you are going for APHA points, even through PAC, I am pretty sure you need to show under their registered name. The points are tracked using their registered name, and all of the paperwork asks for their reg. name and reg. number. You are responsible for forwarding all show results to them. It took me some getting used to my mare's APHA name, but now that she is accumulating points I am glad that I show her under it.

HARROLDhasmyheart
Apr. 7, 2009, 01:34 AM
'My' guy was lucky, because both his barn name and registered name are Harrold :)