PDA

View Full Version : Can't ride my "pony" at shows!! Anyone else??

Cowgirl Lindz
Apr. 5, 2009, 10:30 PM
I'm 18 years old now and can't ride my so called "pony" in shows any more other then adult amateur. :mad: I don't think its fair she is a 14.1 hand Haflinger HORSE!! She is around 1015pound its not like I'm 2 big for her. I'm short and we fit together! Really why can't I show her? Anyone know why this rule is in place? If you and this "pony" fit together and are capable of jumping the fences then why the hell are you not allowed to?? What about Theodore O'Connor for crying out loud!
BTW I'm competing in the Equine Canada shows

Anyone else mad about this??? Or am I the only one!

I needed to let some steam out!

*JumpIt*
Apr. 5, 2009, 10:37 PM
I understand that it is to let the kids/teenagers to have a fair chance but I think it would be nice to have an "Adult Pony" class.

LexInVA
Apr. 5, 2009, 10:39 PM
If there's money to be made, there's always a chance.

joiedevie99
Apr. 5, 2009, 10:43 PM
Read the prizelists...There are usually plenty of unrated divisions open to adults on ponies. If you want a rated division, the adult amateurs show at the same height as the large pony hunters.

kisstherain
Apr. 5, 2009, 10:47 PM
Are there any Haflinger breed shows you could go to? As an adult who still rides a medium pony, the breed shows are where I show now. I actually like them better than the hunter shows...so much more laid-back!

But I feel your pain - I was crushed when I aged-out from showing in the mediums. Felt it was so unfair!! I understood the reasoning of it, but it still sucked.

Angel Undercover
Apr. 5, 2009, 11:25 PM
Why don't you try eventing? Or jumper? Or dressage?

Midge
Apr. 6, 2009, 07:37 AM
What division do you want to show in that you can't?

crackerjack
Apr. 6, 2009, 08:04 AM
At the schooling show circuit there are a couple of divisions you can do. At the trillium (b level if you aren't in ON)and A shows you are able to do the A/A's and eq (I think?) Then of course you are able to do the jumpers. In the trillium and A show level hunters the chance that you'd be that competitive is questionable due to the breed. What do you WANT to do? (not a bash on your particular horse - he could be cute and jumps like a million bucks but a haflinger obviously doesn't fit the typical show hunter mold.)

onwego
Apr. 6, 2009, 09:50 AM
Just because you can't show in the pony divisions doesn't mean you can't show your pony. Show in the pre-adults or adults.

eclipse
Apr. 6, 2009, 10:51 AM
Are you doing hunters or jumpers? If jumpers, then you can pretty much show in any division except the pony's! There is a rider from Vancouver that regualarly shows his pony in the jumpers and currently is in the 1.30's & 1.20's! There are also a lot of hunter classes that you can still go in. Pretty much it's just the pony hunters that you can't show (because you've aged out). My friend shows her pony in the ammie hunters, low hunters, evergreen hunters & when she's ready she'll be taking him in the modified's (3ft3) & open (3ft6)!

findeight
Apr. 6, 2009, 11:54 AM
Sorry, you "have to show as an Adult"? That's not fair because?

You may show your Pony in any number of classes like the Pre Adult, Modifieds, Lows, Schoolings, Specials etc that are open to all horses and Ponies ridden by a junior or an adult ammie. Or Jumpers.

With the exception of the very tippy top levels and the Pony jocks that make up, maybe, 15% of all Ponies, Ponies are for small riders on small animals not ready for a big horse yet and that was the original intent not likely to change.

Small Change
Apr. 6, 2009, 12:08 PM
My friend shows her pony in the ammie hunters, low hunters, evergreen hunters & when she's ready she'll be taking him in the modified's (3ft3) & open (3ft6)!

I don't think adults are allowed to show large ponies in hunter classes with fences over 3'0" according to the EC rule book... Might be worth checking out.

eqsiu
Apr. 6, 2009, 12:45 PM
I thought adults could show ponies in regular hunter classes? Just no pony hunter?

findeight
Apr. 6, 2009, 01:24 PM
OPs in Canada. Rules of eligibility may vary from down here.

Here I believe you can show a Pony in a regular Hunter class but suitabliity is going to kill you unless you are real small and the thing has a freakishly huge stride for it's size in anything over 3'.

Pony Hunter is for children under the age of 18...and I am assuming it is up there as well.

eclipse
Apr. 6, 2009, 02:56 PM
I don't think adults are allowed to show large ponies in hunter classes with fences over 3'0" according to the EC rule book... Might be worth checking out.

You're right (just checked) now that's a rule I don't agree with. Not sure why you aren't allowed to show over 3ft but you're not! So, to the jumper ring she'll have to go. :)

Silk
Apr. 6, 2009, 05:17 PM
My guess (and I hate to be presumptuous) is that this haflinger is probably not going to be doing anything over 3 ft, especially if it needs to get the strides. they are not exactly hunter type athletes.

Did this come as a surprise to you? I am not sure what your complaint is...do you actually want to stay in the pony division? Was this haffie actually doing the l;arges and getting the strides? Most of the haflingers I know would have a tough time being competitve at the A shows even in the modified adults, unless the thing was dead on every fence and every change.

The Pines Farm
Apr. 6, 2009, 05:39 PM
We are starting an open adult pony division at our horse shows. It will be open to amateurs and professionals. Suitability not to count. Will be run in conjunction with the Children's Hunter Ponies (and pinned separately).

2' sm/med

2'6 larges

findeight
Apr. 6, 2009, 05:46 PM
Another example of about a million non nationally rated classes out there to show whatever you want in.

But, in this example with a former near top of the line Large Pony, think the OP is jumping 3' and wants 3' classes...but not the regular Adult Ammies where 99% are on horses, she wants to stay in a Ponies only at 3'.

Mo's Mom
Apr. 6, 2009, 06:28 PM
I am 5', 105lbs, and I look great on my ponies. I actually look too small for horses, I have short legs for my height. I am training a 1/2 welsh, 1/2 quarter pony, and have been limited on my classes. I am an adult ammy, never trained for money. I have found everyone to be nice about it, but it does limit my classes.

My daughter and I have both shown him and I have been questioned about "am I her trainer, and is it my pony", Nope my daughter, my pony. Not rudely, but still questioned, because they had had trainer schooling ponies and then turning them over to the kids. I didn't know that was against the rules? What if the pony was just too excited for the kid to get on right away. :( Safety first.