PDA

View Full Version : What's the difference between Low Hunter and Modified Low Hunter?

Guin
Apr. 5, 2009, 06:53 PM
Thank you.

MHM
Apr. 5, 2009, 07:02 PM
Whatever the prize list says.

They're not USEF recognized divisions, so they can be run with any specs by show management.

Generally I'd expect "modified" anything to be a couple of holes lower than the regular division, but it could be whatever management chooses to do.

Guin
Apr. 5, 2009, 07:07 PM
They are both 2' classes.

MHM
Apr. 5, 2009, 07:16 PM
Then it's back to: whatever the prize list says.

If both divisions have the same specs without added restrictions on the modified class, then it's just another name for another division to enter.

Rubs Not Pats
Apr. 5, 2009, 07:28 PM
Here Low Hunters is 3' and midweek, mostly professional division used primarily as a warm up for the pre-greens. There are some horses that have become restricted out of the pre greens and do the children's or the A/A's that need schooling midweek and may do the whole division. Modified, just is normally 3" shorter.

Guin
Apr. 5, 2009, 07:29 PM
Thank you, I guess I just want to know what "modified" means in horse show speak. :)

heartinrye
Apr. 5, 2009, 09:28 PM
Thank you, I guess I just want to know what "modified" means in horse show speak. :)

Well it always depends, since in the jumpers a Modified Child/Adult class will be 1-2 levels HIGHER than the regular Child/Adult. So always check :winkgrin:

GGsuperpony
Apr. 5, 2009, 10:11 PM
In local shows around here modified hunter divisions sometimes follow junior/amateur divisions to open that height to professionals. So there might be a 2'6 junior/amateur hunter division immediately followed by a 2'6 modified hunter which is open to all horses and ponies regardless of rider.

Guin
Apr. 6, 2009, 07:47 AM
In local shows around here modified hunter divisions sometimes follow junior/amateur divisions to open that height to professionals. So there might be a 2'6 junior/amateur hunter division immediately followed by a 2'6 modified hunter which is open to all horses and ponies regardless of rider.

Aha! Great! That's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much.

ExJumper
Apr. 6, 2009, 11:19 AM
Be careful, though, because if the class is on the weekend, it's probably not a pro-eligible class. A modified Low class might me, or simply "modified hunter" but modified childrens or modified adult would me restricted to junior and amateurs, respectively. Usually there aren't any "pro" hunter classes on the weekends. I wouldn't expect there to be a pro and an ammy class back to back on the same day.

Of course, if this is a one day show or something, YMMV.

Guin
Apr. 6, 2009, 01:06 PM
We are once-every-two-months-if-we-can-afford-it show people, so points don't even enter into it. Thanks!

chawley
Apr. 6, 2009, 01:10 PM

This is how the Modifieds are around here too. I actually just moved my horse down from the Adult Amateurs to the Modifieds due to soundness/age. It's typically a division used for either horses or riders that are moving on up or coming back down.

But, as others have said, it's used differently at different shows/regions.

findeight
Apr. 6, 2009, 01:14 PM
"Modified" just means the rules have been changed to either open it up to all riders or restrict it to a certain group.

In rated horseshowspeak, when you say 3' Hunter it means Adult Ammies or Childrens Hunters, add the term Modified, Low, Special, Restricted or whatever and you have to go read the prize list.

In OPs situation, guessing "Modified 2'" allows a Pro to ride before the usual Beginner Rider type class that is restricted to....Beginner Riders.