PDA

View Full Version : Royal Kaliber

WorthTheWait95
Apr. 5, 2009, 02:04 AM
Has anyone seen this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmPwCcWZ91w

Was it ever released? I've never heard of it before but would like to see it..google didn't really turn much up.

Pirateer
Apr. 5, 2009, 02:10 AM
It looks cool.
I'd email the producers.

info@millennialarts.com

workinggirl
Apr. 5, 2009, 08:51 AM
Hope someone finds out, love to see this!

Harryson
Apr. 5, 2009, 09:07 AM
It seems to be still in production, according to their site. Does not give a release date, hopefully soon though!

KellyD
Apr. 5, 2009, 10:23 AM
I emailed them in April 2008 about the release date and received the following "our documentary film Royal Kaliber is not available for distribution at this time. Unfortunately, we will probably not be able to distribute the film due to serious problems with film footage rights."

Best regards,
Peter Occolowitz
Millennial Arts Productions

WorthTheWait95
Apr. 5, 2009, 11:33 AM
I emailed them in April 2008 about the release date and received the following "our documentary film Royal Kaliber is not available for distribution at this time. Unfortunately, we will probably not be able to distribute the film due to serious problems with film footage rights."

Best regards,
Peter Occolowitz
Millennial Arts Productions

That's a shame. :(

Rebels_Princess
Apr. 5, 2009, 12:02 PM
Shoot. I was hoping it would actually come through. I adored that animal. Such a shame.

yellowbritches
Apr. 5, 2009, 12:30 PM
I'm wondering if there is an issue with the footage from the Olympics.Too bad. Looks like a good watch...the trailer made me tear up a bit (but I AM a sucker).

dani0303
Apr. 5, 2009, 01:08 PM
I hope they eventually release it! He was such a phenomenal horse.

theoriginalruffkutt
Apr. 5, 2009, 02:36 PM
I would love for that to come out, bummer about the legal stuff! I agree about the trailer, sad.

Kenike
Apr. 5, 2009, 03:54 PM
ARGH! I remember hearing something about this, and I'd love to see it! Dang!

eqrider1234
Apr. 5, 2009, 04:37 PM
what happened to the horse?

WorthTheWait95
Apr. 5, 2009, 04:51 PM
what happened to the horse?

Royal Kaliber was injured at the 2004 Olympics. He was put down soon after due to colic, a complication of stall rest. One of my favorite all time horses. I used to train with Chris occasionally at shows when he was riding and showing Roy. He was just a superstar in every way, a lot of presence even relaxing in his stall.

r3dd0g
Apr. 5, 2009, 06:14 PM
His daughter Zealous, is the top ranked 5YO in the YJC this season. She's out of Star Twist (Starman - Easter Twist).

MHM
Apr. 5, 2009, 06:31 PM
His daughter Zealous, is the top ranked 5YO in the YJC this season. She's out of Star Twist (Starman - Easter Twist).

Really? That's interesting. Did he sire many babies? I always thought he was kept pretty busy with his show career.

ITA that he had a lot of presence. I went to a few GM clinics at Hunterdon, and just standing in his stall he looked like the king of the castle. :)

P.S. Congrats to Chris for winning the Invitational last night at Tampa- for the third time! It really says something when you can keep bringing along different horses who can win at that level.

WorthTheWait95
Apr. 5, 2009, 06:35 PM
Really? That's interesting. Did he sire many babies? I always thought he was kept pretty busy with his show career.

ITA that he had a lot of presence. I went to a few GM clinics at Hunterdon, and just standing in his stall he looked like the king of the castle. :)

P.S. Congrats to Chris for winning the Invitational last night at Tampa! It really says something when you can keep bringing along different horses who can win at that level.

I think he only has 5 babies. It was an accident that they had any semen at all. They had just sent some off to test it before he died and happened to have some left over so they used it to breed a couple mares IIRC. The owners 'gifted' a couple of the foals to some of the major players in Roy's life then kept one for themselves I think.

I hadn't heard anything about them. Glad to hear at least one is doing well!

MHM
Apr. 5, 2009, 06:46 PM
WorthTheWait- Thanks for the info. How lucky that they were able to get a few offspring that way.

LexInVA
Apr. 5, 2009, 07:53 PM
I always chuckle every time these stupid promo threads for Royal Kaliber pop up. Guess it's off to the shredder like the rest!

MHM
Apr. 5, 2009, 08:00 PM
I always chuckle every time these stupid promo threads for Royal Kaliber pop up. Guess it's off to the shredder like the rest!

I beg your pardon? What are you talking about?

WorthTheWait95
Apr. 5, 2009, 09:23 PM

:confused:
I'm sorry. I didn't realize posting a thread about a documentary on a horse I've always admired and was somewhat acquainted with was stupid.

:no::rolleyes:

LexInVA
Apr. 5, 2009, 09:52 PM
I beg your pardon? What are you talking about?

Well, to be perfectly blunt, this is not the first thread about the film nor is it anywhere close to being the first on this forum and all of them had the EXACT same opening lines with the YouTube video and one or two "new" or relatively unknown posters posting their opinion that it "Looks awesome and can't wait to see it!" and whatnot. All the previous threads were purged ages ago when the pruning policy went into effect but I remember the last one quite well because it had been started by someone whom I revile and I made a point of kicking their ass in the thread for using the board as a promotional tool. The last time there was any serious effort to promote the project on the various horse forums was when the director/producer/financier of the project was reported to have approached Robert Duvall to narrate it. When the Duvall report broke on some of the online news blotters, a bunch of threads were started on many of the H/J forums over the following months, including this one, by the same person or people trying to drum up more attention for it.

Shortly after I joined the forum in early 07, I had noticed a new Royal Kaliber thread with the trailer. I found that there were in fact, previous threads that had been made every so often to keep attention on the film because they had nothing completed to promote via other means, and they were all nearly identical. I compared the user names and what was said here with what was elsewhere and realized that it was just an ongoing promotional effort by a few people somehow involved with the project to try and get buzz generated for it.

The documentary was intended to have been completed in late-2006 and released before the 2008 Olympics but the footage issues were never resolved and the project has been uncompleted and unreleased to this day. Every now and then, the IMDB page for the project gets updated with a new release date or change in production year to whatever the current year is but to my knowledge, there has not been any actual progress made on the project since the footage issue came up. I'm not really sure why anyone is still interested in promoting it since it has been dead for a long time but since they aren't losing any money on it at this point, I guess they can keep trying.

WorthTheWait95
Apr. 5, 2009, 10:14 PM
Well, to be perfectly blunt, this is not the first thread about the film nor is it anywhere close to being the first on this forum and all of them had the EXACT same opening lines with the YouTube video and one or two "new" or relatively unknown posters posting their opinion that it "Looks awesome and can't wait to see it!" and whatnot. All the previous threads were purged ages ago when the pruning policy went into effect but I remember the last one quite well because it had been started by someone whom I revile and I made a point of kicking their ass in the thread for using the board as a promotional tool. The last time there was any serious effort to promote the project on the various horse forums was when the director/producer/financier of the project was reported to have approached Robert Duvall to narrate it. When the Duvall report broke on some of the online news blotters, a bunch of threads were started on many of the H/J forums over the following months, including this one, by the same person or people trying to drum up more attention for it.

Shortly after I joined the forum in early 07, I had noticed a new Royal Kaliber thread with the trailer. I found that there were in fact, previous threads that had been made every so often to keep attention on the film because they had nothing completed to promote via other means, and they were all nearly identical. I compared the user names and what was said here with what was elsewhere and realized that it was just an ongoing promotional effort by a few people somehow involved with the project to try and get buzz generated for it.

The documentary was intended to have been completed in late-2006 and released before the 2008 Olympics but the footage issues were never resolved and the project has been uncompleted and unreleased to this day. Every now and then, the IMDB page for the project gets updated with a new release date or change in production year to whatever the current year is but to my knowledge, there has not been any actual progress made on the project since the footage issue came up. I'm not really sure why anyone is still interested in promoting it since it has been dead for a long time but since they aren't losing any money on it at this point, I guess they can keep trying.

Right well I didn't post this to promote anything. I think if you check my post history you'll see I post fairly regularly (since joining in Dec) on a wide range of threads/topics.
On the same note I have only been a member for a short time so I do NOT know the history of every thread ever posted on this forum and judging by the responses I got on this thread I wasn't the ONLY one to be unaware.
You're awfully cranky today. I'm sorry someone you despise once started a thread on the same topic but I don't see why you feel the need to be so rude and condescending to me b/c of it.
I did a forum search and didn't come up with anything under 'Royal Kaliber' so I didn't see the harm in posting for more info. Like I said I knew the horse a little from when I used to ride/lesson with Chris and just wanted more info.

MHM
Apr. 5, 2009, 10:20 PM
I've been posting here since 2000, and I hadn't noticed an overabundance of threads on the topic.

Whatever.

LexInVA
Apr. 5, 2009, 10:39 PM
I've been posting here since 2000, and I hadn't noticed an overabundance of threads on the topic.

Whatever.

You never looked so you have no credibility to make that statement despite your time spent posting here. The older threads were pretty short and all of them were removed when the policy of useless thread deletion went into effect.

MHM
Apr. 5, 2009, 10:47 PM
No, I have better things to do with my time than search for old threads, thanks.

I merely said I hadn't noticed an overabundance of them. Credibility really is not an issue regarding what I noticed.

WorthTheWait95
Apr. 5, 2009, 10:52 PM
No, I have better things to do with my time than search for old threads, thanks.

Well clearly you need to MAKE time for it! ;) Obviously everyone that joins this board should be 100% aware of every post ever made in its history to avoid offending certain posters. My bad. :rolleyes:

MHM
Apr. 5, 2009, 10:58 PM
Well clearly you need to MAKE time for it! ;) Obviously everyone that joins this board should be 100% aware of every post ever made in its history to avoid offending certain posters. My bad. :rolleyes:

Well, I learned something on this thread I hadn't known- that Roy has offspring.

So thanks for starting the thread! :)

LexInVA
Apr. 5, 2009, 11:04 PM
Right well I didn't post this to promote anything. I think if you check my post history you'll see I post fairly regularly (since joining in Dec) on a wide range of threads/topics.
On the same note I have only been a member for a short time so I do NOT know the history of every thread ever posted on this forum and judging by the responses I got on this thread I wasn't the ONLY one to be unaware.
You're awfully cranky today. I'm sorry someone you despise once started a thread on the same topic but I don't see why you feel the need to be so rude and condescending to me b/c of it.
I did a forum search and didn't come up with anything under 'Royal Kaliber' so I didn't see the harm in posting for more info. Like I said I knew the horse a little from when I used to ride/lesson with Chris and just wanted more info.

Your history as a "new" user and the way this thread began per your posting and what followed thereafter is exactly in line with what was going on before with those who were using the forums to promote the film. If you are in fact innocent of wrongdoing in this instance, give yourself a pat on the back, accept my apologies, and take what you can from this song and dance.

dghunter
Apr. 5, 2009, 11:07 PM
Well, I learned something on this thread I hadn't known- that Roy has offspring.

I didn't know that either, nor did I ever know they even talked about making a movie. How cool if it had come out. The trailer made me cry as well :(

LexInVA
Apr. 5, 2009, 11:21 PM

I merely said I hadn't noticed an overabundance of them. Credibility really is not an issue regarding what I noticed.

You wouldn't have noticed them because they were fairly short threads with rarely more than two pages of postings but there were quite a few of them popping up every so often after the trailer hit the Internet. All of them were nearly identical to what this one was shaping up to be and they had all started in the exact same way, often from the same few users, though some were made by first-post users. There was never any real discussion about the documentary because the people behind it never had anything of substance to generate interest. Part of that is because the documentary itself was a low-budget pet project of an equestrian socialite who wanted to make the project for personal reasons. That being said, it's not likely that it will ever be completed and it's probably better that way.

OneonOne
Apr. 6, 2009, 12:20 AM
Wow. Who kicked your puppy?

MHM
Apr. 6, 2009, 12:21 AM
Lex, before you jumped into this thread and started insulting posters, it had already been established that:

A.) Royal Kaliber is dead.
B.) The documentary about the horse is dead in the water.
C.) The horse will not be siring any more foals.

So there was nothing for the thread to promote, other than polite conversation about a good horse.

Bless your heart.

LexInVA
Apr. 6, 2009, 02:16 AM
Lex, before you jumped into this thread and started insulting posters, it had already been established that:

A.) Royal Kaliber is dead.
B.) The documentary about the horse is dead in the water.
C.) The horse will not be siring any more foals.

So there was nothing for the thread to promote, other than polite conversation about a good horse.

Bless your heart.

Actually, I had typed that post earlier in the day when there were only two postings on the thread, so yes I messed up by not refreshing the thread before I submitted it in the evening because I hadn't expected there to be anything of note since nearly everyone knows about the documentary and it's urban legend-like status at this point even if they only vaguely remember it from the first dozen or so threads in the last few years. I just realized that there were many more postings when I scrolled down and saw that this had gone to two pages. I apologize to all those I offended with this bit of drama. During the last two hours, I also found a curious bit of information from a man who was involved in the post-production of the documentary during his brief time at the company in 2006. He said it was completed, cleared for distribution, and was being sent out to the film festivals before he left the company. Very odd given what the production company has been telling everyone who has inquired about it over the last two years.

HorsRdr477
Apr. 6, 2009, 03:09 AM
Wow. Who kicked your puppy?

I just literally LOL :lol:

schmoe1
Apr. 6, 2009, 09:09 AM
During the last two hours, I also found a curious bit of information from a man who was involved in the post-production of the documentary during his brief time at the company in 2006.

Now I am beginning to think it is you who is promoting your own new TV series, CSI: Royal Kaliber.

BAC
Apr. 6, 2009, 02:27 PM

Whatever.

I hadn't noticed any either. I think you're being incredibly rude Lex.

Melzy
Apr. 6, 2009, 03:57 PM
Perhaps there will be a book published instead? I would like to read more about a great horse that I saw perform numerous times. I admire Roy's people and he does have an interesting story. Lex won't have to read it or share personal problems either!

Tap2Tango
Apr. 6, 2009, 03:59 PM

I believe there are 4 maybe 5 babies (well not really babies anymore as they would be 5 this year!) The Chapots have one(Zealous, who is just super cool and such a natural jumper), a client of the Chapots have one, I believe the Kamine's(Roy's owners) have one (maybe 2?) and one was sold to Europe. I'm pretty sure this is how it played out, it's been a few years so my memory may have slipped a bit.

I hope the documentary can work itself out! :)

MHM
Apr. 6, 2009, 04:16 PM
I believe there are 4 maybe 5 babies (well not really babies anymore as they would be 5 this year!) The Chapots have one(Zealous, who is just super cool and such a natural jumper), a client of the Chapots have one, I believe the Kamine's(Roy's owners) have one (maybe 2?) and one was sold to Europe. I'm pretty sure this is how it played out, it's been a few years so my memory may have slipped a bit. :)

Thanks for the details! I wonder if the colts were left intact? That would be be neat if one of Roy's son's turned out to be as talented and could pass on his dad's abilities. :)

r3dd0g
Apr. 6, 2009, 04:21 PM
I believe they are all fillies.

MHM
Apr. 6, 2009, 04:22 PM
I believe they are all fillies.

D'oh! That's kind of too bad. What are the odds of that?!?

LexInVA
Apr. 6, 2009, 04:28 PM
Perhaps there will be a book published instead? I would like to read more about a great horse that I saw perform numerous times. I admire Roy's people and he does have an interesting story. Lex won't have to read it or share personal problems either!

There was talk of a book and the possibility of an actual film based on Royal Kaliber's career around the time the documentary was supposed to be released but it was just another idea tossed around to capitalize on the Barbaro madness. As for my personal problems, I don't have any in this matter. What happened before had nothing to do with the topic of discussion other than the promotion of the documentary was involved. I don't like you or the things you represent in the Equestrian world and you don't like me. Move on. :)

Trixie
Apr. 6, 2009, 05:08 PM
Well clearly you need to MAKE time for it! Obviously everyone that joins this board should be 100% aware of every post ever made in its history to avoid offending certain posters. My bad

Duh. :rolleyes:

I hadn't noticed them either.

gasrgoose
Apr. 6, 2009, 05:15 PM
Apparently Lex is the New moderator!!!!?!??!?:lol: The other ones seemed so much nicer.;)

maclaydreams
Apr. 6, 2009, 08:39 PM
Now I am beginning to think it is you who is promoting your own new TV series, CSI: Royal Kaliber.

That comment made my day! :D