PDA

View Full Version : Congrats!! Stonehill College going to IHSA Nationals-

Sheila
Apr. 4, 2009, 07:46 PM
returning to the arena where we won Nationals in 2003 - Murfreesboro TN~!!

Whohoo!!
Go Hill!!

ETA_ I am at work and don't have any other details on the other team going from Zone 1. I am sure Zones was very competitive-
Bring the Cacchione Cup home Zone 1 !!!

hrsgirl07
Apr. 4, 2009, 07:58 PM
we have two people going form my school!!!

hj0519
Apr. 4, 2009, 09:34 PM
Mount Holyoke is the other team from Zone 1 going to Nationals. The standings were very close all day and you didn't know until the last class if Stonehill or Brown got second....very nervewracking! The flat classes were long and the judge really tested them.

HunterObsession
Apr. 4, 2009, 10:42 PM
Yay Stonehill!!!! I actually applied there and got accepted and it was one of my top choices, but I decided on a school closer to my house. I am so bummed now. That is such a great school and I am really glad they are doing well equestrian wise.

SpicyMonarch
Apr. 4, 2009, 11:12 PM
I was at the Zone 2 Cahmpionships today to cheer on my New Paltz and Centenary people! We have a New Paltz rider who made it to Nationals!

hj0519
Apr. 4, 2009, 11:43 PM
I was at the Zone 2 Cahmpionships today to cheer on my New Paltz and Centenary people! We have a New Paltz rider who made it to Nationals!

Who were the top two teams?

Sheila
Apr. 5, 2009, 07:35 AM
Good Luck to Eddie and Virginia Intermont today at their Zones and to Jon Conyer's Sweet Briar Team. UNC Charlotte has a rider at Zones- good luck!

Word is - there is a BENDING 2 stride today- (at least it was in place for yesterday's warm up- not sure if it is in the show today or not. Awaiting reports.)

Talk of the Town
Apr. 5, 2009, 09:45 AM
Does anyone have any results from Zone 3? I'm abroad for the semester so I don't get a lot of feed back on how my region does (Region 3). Does anyone know if WVU made it to nationals?

Jumper6252
Apr. 5, 2009, 09:47 AM
Who were the top two teams?

I think centenary was one of them from zone 2

Rhody Ram
Apr. 5, 2009, 09:57 AM
I was there. Anyone find the flat classes a little...... strange? With all the circles and quickfire changes of gaits??

Rhody Ram
Apr. 5, 2009, 09:58 AM
And one of our riders is going to nationals individually, YAY!

Sheila
Apr. 5, 2009, 10:38 AM
RhodyRam- do you mean Zone 1 finals? With Michael Page judging?? Circles, direction changes, transistions- not surprising. He picks riders not posers. Anyone hearing who the judge was should have practised and been prepared for EVERYTHING and not been surprised with a change of direction- in reverse, hearing "Halt" as the first command after "you are being judged at the walk" (instead of " trot") etc. ... He has judged these Zones many times and, even though I was not there, it sounds like he was classic Micheal Page from when I took a team or two to Zones ..:)

Congrats on getting a rider thru to Nationals!!! Your whole team should be very proud- I hope a cheering section from your school is able to go and show their support.

Sheila
Apr. 5, 2009, 10:45 AM
Update from Zone 4. Teams competing-VI, Sweet Briar, Mary Washington. Team Open flat class running now- cutthroat- very tough competition. Have to go ride but will update after that.

Heard Centenary and Cazenovia were going for the NY Zone. Congrats!!

Kalele
Apr. 5, 2009, 11:39 AM
aw yay, one of my neighbors growing up is on the team, i'll have to send her a congrats :)

Laguna 007
Apr. 5, 2009, 12:17 PM
I'm going individually! It's the first time anyone from my school has qualified and I am really excited to be able to represent them! :)

Rhody Ram
Apr. 5, 2009, 01:57 PM
Well our school gives us barely any money to send her so I don't there will be room for anyone but her and our coach.

bascher
Apr. 5, 2009, 02:01 PM
you can go to campusequestrian.com for updates :)

Sheila
Apr. 5, 2009, 02:48 PM
I didn't see an update for Zone 4 for today-- last year's is still up. Steve Maxwell does a great job with his recaps and stories so definitley check out campusequestrian.com.

Its Sweet Briar and VI headed to Nationals- Congrats!!

Laguna007 !! Congrats!! Have a wonderful time hint hint book your hotel ASAP.

touchstone-
Apr. 5, 2009, 04:42 PM
Does anyone know any of the individual results from Zone 1 zones? I'm particularly interested in open and alumni. Thanks!

hj0519
Apr. 5, 2009, 05:01 PM
touchstone, I can't remember the results off the top of my head (wasn't really paying attention because we didn't have riders in alumni or individual open) but the class by class results should be up on campusequestrian.com later tonight.

Rhody Ram
Apr. 5, 2009, 05:52 PM
Here's what I know off the top of my head

Open Fences: Samantha Parsons, Kim Lynch, Cassie Herman, Josh Corriveau
Alumni Fences: Tara Lynch
Alumni Flat: Robyn O'Toole, ?, Tara Lynch

bascher
Apr. 5, 2009, 07:15 PM
Steve says on the website that he will start posting results after 9pm tonight.

Rio Blanco
Apr. 5, 2009, 10:37 PM
WTAMU will be going to nationals! =)

Laguna 007
Apr. 5, 2009, 11:04 PM
I didn't see an update for Zone 4 for today-- last year's is still up. Steve Maxwell does a great job with his recaps and stories so definitley check out campusequestrian.com.

Its Sweet Briar and VI headed to Nationals- Congrats!!

Laguna007 !! Congrats!! Have a wonderful time hint hint book your hotel ASAP.

Thanks!!! I already have my hotel and airfare booked! Can't wait! :D

bascher
Apr. 5, 2009, 11:08 PM
Well I do know that Penn State won Zone 3 :)

Equi
Apr. 5, 2009, 11:10 PM
Does anyone know if these are the teams after today's Zones? It is interesting that there are some newer names (Stonehill, Lafayette) and tight races as well as some standards (Holyoke, Findlay) and some blow outs (Charleston, Stanford). It should be an interesting Nationals.

Zone 1
Mount Holyoke
Stonehill

Zone 2
Centenary ?
Cazenovia ?

Zone 3
Lafayette College
Penn State??

Zone 4
Sweet Briar
Virginia Intermont

Zone 5
College of Charleston 52
Berry College 43

Zone 7
West Texas A & M
?

Zone 6
University of Findlay 48
University of Kentucky 41

Zone 8
Stanford University 53
University of Southern California 36

Zone 9
University of Wisconsin 47
Purdue University 45

hj0519
Apr. 6, 2009, 12:54 AM
Zone 2 is Centenary, Skidmore, and St. Lawrence according to campusequestrian.com.

bascher
Apr. 6, 2009, 06:47 AM
Does anyone know if these are the teams after today's Zones? It is interesting that there are some newer names (Stonehill, Lafayette) and tight races as well as some standards (Holyoke, Findlay) and some blow outs (Charleston, Stanford). It should be an interesting Nationals.

Zone 1
Mount Holyoke
Stonehill

Zone 2
Centenary ?
Cazenovia ?

Zone 3
Lafayette College
Penn State??

Zone 4
Sweet Briar
Virginia Intermont

Zone 5
College of Charleston 52
Berry College 43

Zone 7
West Texas A & M
?

Zone 6
University of Findlay 48
University of Kentucky 41

Zone 8
Stanford University 53
University of Southern California 36

Zone 9
University of Wisconsin 47
Purdue University 45

Zone 3 was definitely won by Penn State. (see above post :) and it's on campusequestrian as well)

horsecrazy
Apr. 6, 2009, 10:39 AM
I was really surprised to see some WRONG DIAGONALS (eek!) in the Zone 4 classes. I'm talking Open, Intermediate, Alumni... and not all the offenders placed badly either. I'm wondering if having two judges there would have helped catch some of those mistakes.

How tough for Mary Washington to miss out on Nationals by one point, too! They are a good team.

FarnleyGarnet
Apr. 6, 2009, 12:02 PM
I was really surprised to see some WRONG DIAGONALS (eek!) in the Zone 4 classes. I'm talking Open, Intermediate, Alumni... and not all the offenders placed badly either. I'm wondering if having two judges there would have helped catch some of those mistakes.

How tough for Mary Washington to miss out on Nationals by one point, too! They are a good team.

Yes, very sad for Mary Washington. It was all tied up with VI and MW going into the Walk Trot class. How wonderful for Sweet Briar though! Jon was looking out for them yesterday. :yes:

I noticed a few riders who started off on the wrong diagonal too, but did switch quickly. My guess is that the judge was looking elsewhere at that moment. I had a difficult time determining exactly what the Zone 4 judge was looking for in the flat classes... did anyone else? It appeared to vary from class to class. That being said, I was on the other side of the ring and obviously couldn't watch all 8-10 riders at the same time.

Will say congrats to Virginia Tech for bringing their largest group to Nationals to date: 4 riders. We won Novice OF and Alumni Flat, and were 1st and 2nd in Walk Trot.

horsecrazy
Apr. 6, 2009, 01:49 PM
I had a difficult time determining exactly what the Zone 4 judge was looking for in the flat classes... did anyone else?

Yes. You are not alone. I didn't stay after novice was done b/c we didn't have any W/T/C or W/T riders, but I couldn't figure out what she wanted either. Besides the wrong diagonal issue(s), there were some other real head-scratchers.

Happy for Sweet Briar too, though!

kateh
Apr. 6, 2009, 04:09 PM

Same in Zone 3-one Open rider did an entire figure eight on the wrong diagonals. She did get hit for it though.

I'm wondering is it normal for judges to do call-back tests in every class? In Zone 3 the judge had everyone line up then had the top half do further tests in every flat class and all but maybe 1 or 2 o/f...it seemed kind of overkill to me. I understand it's necessary when the top couple of riders are really close and I can see how that circumstance would come up at Zones, but IMHO I didn't think she needed to call back 3 out of 4 riders in a walk/trot class. (I'm not trying to diss w/t riders there were just some obvious differences in skill level and my teammates and I placed the class in about 2 minutes)

FarnleyGarnet
Apr. 7, 2009, 01:30 PM
Sounds like Zone 3 did a LOT of testing... wow.

Zone 4 didn't test at all in the over fences classes. I personally didn't see a need. In the flat classes the judge either asked riders to drop/cross their irons the second direction or worked both ways and then pulled her top 3-4 riders out of the line up to flat again together. No individual testing though which I would have liked to see in some of the classes, especially where I felt the strongest rider wasn't able to really shine due to the draw she received.

Testing does make for a long day though so I do appreciate it when it's not overdone. I think in my 4 years undergrad and 2 years in alumni I've been tested twice - once OF and once on the flat.

I was quite surprised when I did not see a single rider even attempt a turn on the haunches when asked to reverse in the flat classes... and a lot of the horses had the scope to do it nicely. I guess everyone decided it was better to play it safe?

wyldhorseb
Apr. 7, 2009, 01:51 PM
Yes, very sad for Mary Washington. It was all tied up with VI and MW going into the Walk Trot class. How wonderful for Sweet Briar though! Jon was looking out for them yesterday. :yes:

I noticed a few riders who started off on the wrong diagonal too, but did switch quickly. My guess is that the judge was looking elsewhere at that moment. I had a difficult time determining exactly what the Zone 4 judge was looking for in the flat classes... did anyone else? It appeared to vary from class to class. That being said, I was on the other side of the ring and obviously couldn't watch all 8-10 riders at the same time.

Will say congrats to Virginia Tech for bringing their largest group to Nationals to date: 4 riders. We won Novice OF and Alumni Flat, and were 1st and 2nd in Walk Trot.

Congrats to VT! My trainer's friend, who I show with, won the Alumni Flat!