PDA

View Full Version : Show series in NJ?

Aubreyyy
Apr. 4, 2009, 01:50 PM
Is there anything other than what I find on njpha.com?

I'm trying to figure out how the year end points work up here...where I'm from in NC, we had one state-wide H/J Association with A and C shows then a smaller C level one for the area.

superpony123
Apr. 4, 2009, 02:09 PM
we have the NJHSA and the NJPHA. theyre both the most common and official state associations. the difference between them is the way they calculate points and they both have the normal divisions but the NJHSA has some that NJPHA doesnt, and vice versa. i am signed up for both. what is your question, exactly?

if you want to know how they calculate points, they both have a section on how their points are calculated. i forget what pages theyre on, but i know that theyre both on the sites. as far as shows, you can check on usef.org as well for shows. there's lots of shows in NJ, and most of them will be rated by the NJHSA and NJPHA, but some arent.

Aubreyyy
Apr. 4, 2009, 02:50 PM
Basically I just wanted to know what the associations were, and info on them. I can google the NJHSA though.

Which would you consider more competitive? Better run? Better facilities?

JinxyPoo
Apr. 4, 2009, 03:49 PM
Basically I just wanted to know what the associations were, and info on them. I can google the NJHSA though.

Which would you consider more competitive? Better run? Better facilities?

These associations don't run their own shows...I think there might be one NJHSA show at Briarwood in the fall and NJPHA has a "finale" type thing for the top points. But all the show series in NJ (Woodedge, Monmouth, Briarwood, Duncraven, etc.) are NJHSA and NJPHA pointed.

Equitate.
Apr. 4, 2009, 04:09 PM
NJHSA and NJPHA don't have their own shows, except for one double point one each year. And NJPHA only counts one class while NJHSA counts all, plus bonuses for champion or reserve/

For show circuits, there are: Hunter Farms, Palermo Show Stable, Briarwood Farm, Monmouth, Duncraven/Black River, CJL, Woodedge.... and probably a bunch more. These shows don't usually have year end prizes (with the exception of Palermo and Woodedge, and possibly Hunter Farms)

For year end points, I prefer NJHSA personally because not everything is riding on that one class, so I feel that I can have more of a chance to do better.
Both year end associations give out nice prizes (I know that NJHSA gives coolers to champions, and NJPHA receives similar prizes like directors chairs, etc)

CoursesByDesign
Apr. 4, 2009, 07:58 PM
Chesterfield Farm Hunter Series will be starting April 11th. This series runs NJPHA classes and also Marshall/Sterling classics. They have a nine show series with a year end high score awards banquet. They also run an Invitational Classic in the fall with a country barbeque. The exhibitors seem to enjoy this event. If you are interested go to their website www.coursesbydesign.com

To the MAX
Apr. 4, 2009, 08:57 PM
Chesterfield Farm Hunter Series will be starting April 11th. This series runs NJPHA classes and also Marshall/Sterling classics. They have a nine show series with a year end high score awards banquet. They also run an Invitational Classic in the fall with a country barbeque. The exhibitors seem to enjoy this event. If you are interested go to their website www.coursesbydesign.com (http://www.coursesbydesign.com)

Do exhibitors usually braid for your shows, or just for the invitational at the end of the series?

CoursesByDesign
Apr. 4, 2009, 09:05 PM
Most of the horses are unbraided. For the M/S classics they may braid. During the Invitational all of those horses are braided.

iridehorses
Apr. 4, 2009, 11:00 PM
duncraven & black river just finished their winter series, but good shows for next year. palermo also has a series which i believe finishes this weekend too, both nice places.

superpony123
Apr. 5, 2009, 01:57 PM
oh so youre looking for a series, i see.

Palermo has great series' all year round. this weekend is actually the last of their winter series and there's a finals at the end of april. they also have spring/summer and fall circuits, and the winter one. this is their first time doing a finals, i think, but they've always done series-end awards up to 8th place in most divisions.

Sussex Co. has a year-long series i believe, and they have awards at the end of the year too. sussex has great shows.

briarwood also has a year-long series, i believe, as well as monmouth.

as for an actual association that holds their own shows, try looking into.. shoot i cant think of the name. i want to say central jersey equine or something but i remember thinking that doesnt make a lot of sense because all their shows are held at east freehold park which is where monmouth shows are. if someone could chime in on that one, that'd help the OP im sure. thats the only association that holds only their own shows. as for NJHSA and NJPHA, they both have one of their own shows a year and both are at briarwood, theyre kind of like special double-point shows. the NJPHA also has the fall finale, which is a finals. it doesnt have every division though (though i wish it did. they have childrens HORSE eq but not pony? not fairrr)

Apr. 5, 2009, 11:46 PM
Both of these associations sanction any horse shows that want to run their points (both schooling & rated shows) The idea is to keep consistency in the divisions & have a set of rules to follow. NJPHA run a bonus point show in July at East Freehold Park & NJHSA run their bonus point show in September at Briarwood. I addition the NJPHA runs the Fall Finale, a finals for the lower divisions; Mini Stirrup WT thru 3' Children's Equitation; this year the Fall Finale will be in October.
I think the show series you were thinking of is Central Jersey Horse Show Association(CJHA), they run their own series at East Freehold Park, but also run NJPHA & NJHSA classes. There is also DVHA (Delaware Valley Horsemen's Association) They run on their own showgrounds in the Flemington, NJ area.
I would suggest you get an NJPHA calendar, it has all the shows sanctioned by the NJPHA listed in it. You should be able to purchase one at most tack shops, if you can't find one PM me & I can tell you how to get one.

xabbracadabra
Apr. 6, 2009, 12:19 PM
NJHSA and NJPHA don't have their own shows, except for one double point one each year. And NJPHA only counts one class while NJHSA counts all, plus bonuses for champion or reserve/

For show circuits, there are: Hunter Farms, Palermo Show Stable, Briarwood Farm, Monmouth, Duncraven/Black River, CJL, Woodedge.... and probably a bunch more. These shows don't usually have year end prizes (with the exception of Palermo and Woodedge, and possibly Hunter Farms)

For year end points, I prefer NJHSA personally because not everything is riding on that one class, so I feel that I can have more of a chance to do better.
Both year end associations give out nice prizes (I know that NJHSA gives coolers to champions, and NJPHA receives similar prizes like directors chairs, etc)

Monmouth has year end prizes

xabbracadabra
Apr. 6, 2009, 12:24 PM
If you are looking for a series I would suggest Monmouth, CJL, or Woodedge.

CJHA also has a series but I was looking at this years prizelist and I didn't see much over 18". There are also other shows that are not series that have points in NJPHA and NJHSA like the big A rated ones at Duncraven over the summer

City Ponies
Apr. 6, 2009, 12:38 PM
Don't plain on the divisions over 2' filling at CJHA, it's more of a secondary open 4-H show. I second NJHSA shows, Briarwood, Woodedge, DVHA is actually a nicer Open series. Hunter Farms and Duncraven has nice series. I prefer the Monmouth horseshow route. They don't have year-ends but it's pointed for both and have both A and C shows. CJL is also nice... and I *think* they do year-ends.

If you qualify though, just follow the M&S route.

barn_mom
Feb. 1, 2010, 04:43 PM
If you are looking for a series I would suggest Monmouth, CJL, or Woodedge.

CJHA also has a series but I was looking at this years prizelist and I didn't see much over 18". There are also other shows that are not series that have points in NJPHA and NJHSA like the big A rated ones at Duncraven over the summer

Actualy CJHA has a very diverse offering inclluding mini and short stirup, pre-childrens (2'6) as well as hunters and jumper divisions at varring levels up to 3'. The new class list will be published later this week. Check it out at www.cjha.org