PDA

View Full Version : Braiding in the Jumpers... What's In Style?

Equitate.
Apr. 4, 2009, 09:20 AM
Hey guys, I have a fashion question.
I don't normally see many people braid for the jumpers, other than for the big classics... but if I was going to braid should I go for the sewn in buttons or hunter braids? Or would I look too out of place/over dressed braided and just stick to a neat mane?
I don't spend much time at the bigger shows, so I don't really know what's "in" right now.

Thanks in advance :)

superpony123
Apr. 4, 2009, 10:15 AM
i admit i think hunter braids look a little funny on a jumper. stick with the sewn-in button braids, the big round ones. i like those a lot, actually, i almost wish hunters and jumpers could trade :lol: i think they look cool.

nlk
Apr. 4, 2009, 04:31 PM
does anyone have a link to "button braids"? I have always done hunters so I don't know much about Jumper trends. Pictures or how to?

Thanks too!

IsolaBella09
Apr. 4, 2009, 04:35 PM
Most people braid button braids for the classics, but some go in the ring with a nice pulled, even mane, which also looks good. Depends on what you want, but if it were me, I'd say braid for the classics. I know I will be this spring/summer.

Grooming to Win is a great book to learn from. There's a whole section on braiding manes and tails.

Here is a thread on button braids that was originally in eventing.
http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=35573

Foxtrot's
Apr. 4, 2009, 05:08 PM
When I see a braided horse at the big shows in the jumpers I think it shows huge respect for the show, for the nation they represent and the grooms who take care of them.

lauriep
Apr. 4, 2009, 05:34 PM
i admit i think hunter braids look a little funny on a jumper. stick with the sewn-in button braids, the big round ones. i like those a lot, actually, i almost wish hunters and jumpers could trade :lol: i think they look cool.

Hunter braids are NEVER out of place and make any horse look better. I personally despise button braids (the European type) and refuse to do them.

damecheval
Apr. 4, 2009, 05:39 PM
I agree, if a horse is braided for jumpers, they're usually in button braids. But what should you do if your horse looks really bad in button braids? For example, I'm hoping to show in the pony jumpers this year with a pony who's neck looks horrible if he's in button braids. They make his neck look really short.

supershorty628
Apr. 4, 2009, 05:47 PM
damecheval, you don't have to braid at all for the jumpers. I didn't braid my horse at all last year, and we did some pretty big classics.

damecheval
Apr. 4, 2009, 05:52 PM
I know, but I just like to braid. I'm one of those idiots that thinks it's fun. :lol: Plus it makes the pony look even cuter!

joiedevie99
Apr. 4, 2009, 05:54 PM
I agree, if a horse is braided for jumpers, they're usually in button braids. But what should you do if your horse looks really bad in button braids? For example, I'm hoping to show in the pony jumpers this year with a pony who's neck looks horrible if he's in button braids. They make his neck look really short.

You will be in a small minority if you braid for the pony jumpers. For that matter, you rarely see braids in the child/adults, even for classics. I think its appropriate to braid for the junior/ a/o classics or other special classes, and anything in the 'open' division other than a Wednesday warm-up, though you never have to.

ETA: If you actually want to braid, feel free. Plenty of people will do the lower level jumpers on the same day as an eq division that they braid for- so you won't look out of place in regular braids.

damecheval
Apr. 4, 2009, 05:58 PM
Okay! You guys will have to deal with lots of questions about jumpers from me in the next few months. I've never done them before.

Foxtrot's
Apr. 4, 2009, 06:21 PM
What does look bad is a lot of flying hair - mane on the long side and the rider's pony tail flowing out behind from under the helmet. Some international jumpers go that 'natural' way, but the neatly put together teams look waaaay better. My guess is you'll find the button braids so much quicker to put in you will forego the hunter braids.

damecheval
Apr. 4, 2009, 06:33 PM
I didn't realize that button braids are that much quicker than hunter braids. i guess we'll just wait and see. I might leave his mane unbraided though, because even though I do like to braid, he has a very cute mane! So just another one of those annoying jumper-newbie questions: Do I really need white breeches, or are tan breeches fine too? Sorry to hijack the thread.

PinkPonies
Apr. 4, 2009, 07:11 PM
What's most common is no braids unless your are doing a big class like the classic, a grand prix or one of the night classes like a jumper stake. In fact, I've VERY rarely seen a lower level jumper braided unless they were doing eq classes, medals, etc. that day.

Tan, khaki, etc. breeches are the way to go. White, again, is usually just worn in classics, prix's, etc.

Sebastian
Apr. 4, 2009, 07:23 PM
Don't really mean to rain on anyone's parade... BUT, there is no "what's in or out" in the Jumper ring. The competition is completely, 100%, OBJECTIVE.

But, as far as what's "Traditional"...Jumpers should NOT be braided unless it's a Grand Prix. AND even then, it's optional. Jumpers require a ride that is focused and effective. Granted, I agree that a well turned out horse and rider DO show respect for the sport, but don't over do it. That's not what Jumpers are about. And, trust me, there will come a day when you will be sorry that you can't grab that hand full of mane... :winkgrin:

Just my 2 cents.
Seb :)

Seven-up
Apr. 4, 2009, 07:43 PM
And, trust me, there will come a day when you will be sorry that you can't grab that hand full of mane... :winkgrin:

That's the whole reason I never braided for jumpers. In fact, it probably played a part in why I switched to jumpers! Nothing worse than getting a huge jump over an oxer and reaching for the handlebars and getting....nothing! :eek:

Oh, and put me into the 'button braid haters' club too. I think it's a rare horse who actually looks good in them.

lynz
Apr. 4, 2009, 07:45 PM
does anyone have a link to "button braids"? I have always done hunters so I don't know much about Jumper trends. Pictures or how to?

Thanks too!

I am the opposite - I can do the button braids with absolute ease and have no clue as to how to do the hunter braids - does anyone have a video/instructions?!?!?!. I tried for about 2 hours today to try and do a hunter braid and it just wasn't working (mind you, even the button braids weren't working with my horse apparently making it clear he did not want to be braided. Thankfully tomorrow is only a schooling show so instead I sectioned off his mane and did a "flip ponytail" with each section - it looks kind of neat!).

There are a couple of ways to do the button braids...
1) elastics
2) string
3) mixture of elastics & string

1) Elastics:
a. section off mane as you normally would for braiding
b. pick a section and braid tightly securing with an elastic at the end
c. roll braid up with the elastic closest to the neck (to hide it)
d. "pinch" the braid about halfway down and secure with another elastic

2) String:
b. tightly braid with the string in and tightly secure at the end
c. take a hook (or needle works too) and from the very top of the braid, bring it down and hook the ends of the string onto it and bring it back through the top
c. secure the braid by tying a knot
d. "pinch" the braid about halfway down and secure with tying the string around it

3) Mixture:
b. pick a section and braid tightly and secure at the bottom with an elastic
c. take a needle & string and from the top of the braid, weave the string through the centre of the braid and tie in a knot at the bottom where the elastic is
d. take a hook and from the very top of the braid, bring it down and hook the ends of the string onto it and bring it back through the top
e. secure the braid by tying a knot
f. "pinch" the braid about halfway down and secure with tying the string around it

Triplicate
Apr. 4, 2009, 08:11 PM
Hunter braids and lots of them.
Button braids usually look like a European wannabe.

Midge
Apr. 4, 2009, 08:52 PM
Jumpers require a ride that is focused and effective.

As opposed to...?

If you want to braid, do it right. Big honkin' clumps of hair wrapped in a rubber band ain't it.

Lucassb
Apr. 4, 2009, 09:55 PM
As opposed to...?

If you want to braid, do it right. Big honkin' clumps of hair wrapped in a rubber band ain't it.

AMEN

If hunter braids don't quite do it for you... learn to do scallops. Well.

carrie_girl
Apr. 4, 2009, 10:45 PM
I am an eventer, but I am a professional braider who does button braids. I learned to braid doing hunter braids with yarn and eventually switched to button braids. I HATE button braids that are done (poorly) with rubber bands. I think they stick off the neck and flop around.

That said, I think my button braids done with string look very nice. I use a different technique than has been mentioned, so I will try to explain. First of all, I tend to do a few more braids than many people do when they do buttons, but the number of braids depends on the thickness of the mane. I would say on a horse with a normal mane and average neck length I do about 17-20 braids.

I braid down with yarn exactly like I am doing a hunter braid. Then, I take the braid, twist it up and around so that the braid itself makes an inside out knot (the underside of the braid faces out). If you have done the right # of braids so that the thickness of the braid is right, where you tied off the braid with the yarn should be just inside the knot so that only the strings are sticking through. I then stick my pull-through through the top of the braid and pull the yarn through the top, and tie the yarn off on the underside of the button. This technique makes it so the buttons are very flat to the neck, and securely anchored, never floppy. It is complicated to write, but actually quite easy to do.

IzzyBean
Apr. 4, 2009, 11:16 PM
Here is a blast from the past....... in the 80's I was a grom for a few Grand Prix horses. Back then we braided 4 hunter braids at the top of the mane for Grand Prix's and sometimes for Classics. The horses had a finished turned out look but the rider still had mane to grab. :-)

Tha Ridge
Apr. 4, 2009, 11:31 PM
I love Hunter braids, with an unbraided forelock, on a Jumper. :)

happyridergrl
Apr. 5, 2009, 12:13 AM
braids for the jr or a/o classics (don't see them in anything lower unless it's an eq horse), grand prixs, and other classes of that type. white pants for classics and prixs

kookicat
Apr. 5, 2009, 10:43 AM
Here's a few vidoes showing a few slightly different ways to plait.

http://www.horsehero.com/1180/competition-turnout-and-travel/5483

http://www.horsehero.com/1180/competition-turnout-and-travel/1714

http://www.horsehero.com/1180/competition-turnout-and-travel/1716

The last way is pretty much how I do them. :)

Eireamon
Apr. 5, 2009, 08:44 PM
LOL Izzy that is a blast from the past that I had forgotton about. It was commonplace to leave an unplaited grab strap at the bottom of the neck.

pds
Apr. 5, 2009, 10:43 PM

Well according to your logic, showing your jumper in hunter braids would possibly make you look like an American Hunter Princess wannabe. lol

Why should anyone care what others think of their jumper's style of braids or lack of braids? The most important thing is to leave the rails up.

eclipse
Apr. 6, 2009, 11:16 AM

Guess you better never come upto Alberta to show then as we're all Euro wanna be's!! LOL Tell THAT to the riders at Spruce, as the majority of us do braid for our everyday jumper classes at that show & many others throughout the Province.

Personally I love the look of a neatly braided jumper. We mainly use button braids with white elastics!

Mia412
Apr. 6, 2009, 12:26 PM
I loved the way my jumpers looked braided, and I did it myself, so he always was braided for shows! His neck didn't look very good with button braids, so I always did hunter ones. We always did the mare with button braids - she looked amazing in them.

My advice to the OP is to do the kind of braids that you can do best. In jumpers it won't matter what kind, but I hate to see messy braids.

Carrie_girl, I think I understand your technique and am going to try it! We have a horse with a mane that's tough to get to lie flat.

pattnic
Apr. 6, 2009, 01:47 PM
Carrie_girl - do you have any pictures you could post? I'm intrigued, but not quite following.

lonewolf
Apr. 6, 2009, 03:07 PM
I would also love to hear a bit more about your braiding technique, carrie.

I am a braider (hunter braids), and I would love to learn a nice way of doing nice button braids with wool.

Sebastian
Apr. 6, 2009, 06:58 PM
Well according to your logic, showing your jumper in hunter braids would possibly make you look like an American Hunter Princess wannabe. lol

Why should anyone care what others think of their jumper's style of braids or lack of braids? The most important thing is to leave the rails up.

That is the point.

2016 RoyalCrown KTug
Apr. 6, 2009, 07:41 PM

If you are showing at Devon, Pony Finals, M&S finals and harrisburg I would plan on braiding for the pony jumpers. :) And don't braid the forelock.

Jumper6252
Apr. 6, 2009, 08:00 PM
I like when a jumper has its mane braided but the forelock is left unbraided.

Seven-up
Apr. 6, 2009, 08:31 PM
I always thought the unbraided forelock was just for stallions. Is that not so?

helent623
Apr. 6, 2009, 10:32 PM
I always thought the unbraided forelock on stallions was rather conveinient... nobody wants to be that close to a screaming stallion's face :lol::lol:

carrie_girl
Apr. 6, 2009, 11:04 PM
Carrie_girl - do you have any pictures you could post? I'm intrigued, but not quite following.

I have pics of the finished product on my other computer, but maybe when I am at the barn tomorrow I will do a couple and take some in process pics. Mainly what's hard to explain is tying the knot with the braid. It is totally one of those things that's hard to explain but easy to do.

Of course that means I have to pull the hairy shedding monster's mane, which I haven't pulled all winter:o