PDA

View Full Version : Old Salem Question

quintessance
Apr. 3, 2009, 07:41 PM
I am flying into the Old Salem horse show this year, what is the best airport to go to? I saw that I had two choices, LaGuardia or HPN, any preferences?

Is it easy to get to the show from the city?

Jumper221
Apr. 3, 2009, 08:12 PM
Westchester (HPN) is a MUCH easier airport to deal with than any of the city airports, so if you can get a flight into there definitely do it.

joiedevie99
Apr. 3, 2009, 08:12 PM
I am flying into the Old Salem horse show this year, what is the best airport to go to? I saw that I had two choices, LaGuardia or HPN, any preferences?

Is it easy to get to the show from the city?

HPN and Stewart International are the closest. Either will save you about 45 minutes over the city airports, however both are still a decent drive to the show. You will need a ride or a car service/cab either way.

Lucassb
Apr. 3, 2009, 09:19 PM
I agree that Westchester will be much more convenient to OSF than Laguardia, although there will be fewer flight options, as you would expect of a smaller regional airport compared to a major hub like LGA. I'd guess that Westchester (HPN) will be about 30-35 minutes to OSF. Be aware that OSF is in a largely residential area, so if you will need a place to stay, there may also be a bit of a commute to the nearest hotel.

Equino
Apr. 3, 2009, 09:20 PM
White Plains (Westchester, HPN) is about 20-30 minutes away from the show and there are plenty of hotels available in the White Plains area. It is more $$ than flying into Laguardia, JFK or Stewart, but closer. Laguardia and JFK aren't a horrendous drive at the right time of day, but it still takes me up to an hour and half and an hour from Stewart (I live 5 minutes from OSF.)

PoochPaddock
Apr. 3, 2009, 10:46 PM
This question is not really related to the driving distance from the airport question, but since we're on the topic of OSF, how well attended are these shows?

The Pooch Paddock has an appointment there next week to meet with their vendor coordinator about providing doggie day care for those two weeks. I'm curious about the number of entries they usually get. Are they generally large shows? PM's ok.

je.suis
Apr. 4, 2009, 08:17 AM
The show is usually well attended and part of the northern circuit. I send the tho horses who stayed north in winter to Saratoga as a first outdoor show of the season . Its small and less expensive than Old Salem and less competition. Weather usually "springlike" and great town,but who can leave Old Salem out of the schedue? I love to show there and bring just two and make it easy on everyone. Not sure if Bedford Post is open for overnight guests as yet but worth checking out. Practically down the road from Old Salem ( and the best food in the area!)

quintessance
Apr. 4, 2009, 12:19 PM
Thank-you for you responses! Just booked a round trip ticked thru airtran for under $250 bucks, and got a hotel in Danbury (that allows dogs), We are very excited!

PoochPaddock
Apr. 4, 2009, 04:34 PM
Thank-you for you responses! Just booked a round trip ticked thru airtran for under $250 bucks, and got a hotel in Danbury (that allows dogs), We are very excited!

I'm curious if you had trouble finding a hotel that allows dogs. Did you try a bunch of different ones before you found that one?

quintessance
Apr. 4, 2009, 04:53 PM
No, I called a few places from the prizelist, then did an expedia search which lists the hotes near the show by distance. Then I called the hotels that allowed pets,compared rates, what they had etc, etc, and got a better deal than the internet by having Triple A, and asking for a weekly rate! :winkgrin:

theoriginalruffkutt
Apr. 5, 2009, 01:34 PM
My company will be providing the video there this year, I am super excited, since I showed there many, many moons ago! Were staying in Danbury also!

PoochPaddock
Apr. 5, 2009, 09:26 PM
My company will be providing the video there this year, I am super excited, since I showed there many, many moons ago! Were staying in Danbury also!

Does anyone know if there are any campgrounds for RV's nearby? A non-horse person just suggested the fairgrounds in danbury may have camper hookups...Anyone know if this is true?

gillisdog
Apr. 11, 2009, 05:42 PM
The fairgrounds in Danbury are long, long gone. It has been a mall for more than 20 years. I live in the OSF area and I have never seen anywhere to park an RV. Sorry.