PDA

View Full Version : Cross-Training...What Do You Do???

TheHunterKid90
Apr. 2, 2009, 10:01 PM
So besides riding, what else does everyone do to cross-train?

Right now I:
-Run 2-3 days a week...4-5 miles.

-YOGA! Love it! I attend at least 1 class a week at the gym but try to do at least 15 minutes every night before bed.

-Rock Climbing...yep, at the gym...it's the best stress reliever ever! I have a yearly membership and my own harness and shoes so I can go whenever I want....better yet, the gym is on my way home from the farm so I stop to climb about 4 nights a week. My best friend basically lives there too so it makes a great way for us to hang out. This makes my core pretty strong along with my legs.

-Slack Lining.....for everyone that needs to improve their balance and strengthen their core...this is for you! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xa5KFqlc4B8
It's typically set up between 2 trees with 1" webbing and a few carabeiners.

Anyways! Just curious as to what everyone else does to supplement their riding! :yes:

Hunter Mom
Apr. 2, 2009, 10:18 PM
Come home and exercise my thumb fast forwarding through the commercials on American Idol that DVR'd while I was riding "just one more horse." :0)

Atypical
Apr. 2, 2009, 10:25 PM
I rock climb as well, mostly bouldering, and I stay out of the gym whenever possible!! Lol. I love it, I'm totally addicted, and it'a great for my upper body and core. I run too when I have the energy

TheHunterKid90
Apr. 2, 2009, 10:49 PM
I rock climb as well, mostly bouldering, and I stay out of the gym whenever possible!! Lol. I love it, I'm totally addicted, and it'a great for my upper body and core. I run too when I have the energy

haha, climbing is sooo addicting! I always tell myself okay...I have to be out of here by 9:30...(our gym is open to 11pm on most nights) and yet I always manage to be like "I'm just gonna climb this one route..." OR "Just this one boulder problem and then I'm going home..." Typically my night ends when the gym owner shuts the lights and kicks everyone out. It's done wonders for my core...and I lost like 15 lb! :lol:

lauraware
Apr. 3, 2009, 01:04 AM
I take a beginner adult gymnastics class at my school's gym!! :lol: It's a little ridiculous, I know, but it's so much fun, and you'd be surprised at how much work it is!! I've always considered myself to be pretty fit, but that class kicks my butt (gymnasts are like my new heroes, haha)! I used to ride 2-4 horses a day, 5 days a week, and even though I'm not riding as much (usually just my 2 horses 2 or 3 times a week), I don't feel any less fit. I can still ride w/o stirrups for just as long, and I feel just as tight.

I'll definitely have to try rock climbing, though! I really want to take a yoga class, but it doesn't work in my schedule this quarter :(

Atypical
Apr. 3, 2009, 10:14 AM
Oh yeah, i usually climb til my fingers give out on me. Luckily I live in an area that some good bouldering stuff is only like 5 minutes from my house. And it's surrounding a lake, so the view is phenomenal. Gotta say though, whole other kind of adrenaline rush when youre climbing real rock.

PNWjumper
Apr. 3, 2009, 10:21 AM
Not much time to do anything else when I get all of the horses ridden, but on those days where it's too rainy to ride, or sometimes before I head to bed I'll do my Wii Fit yoga and strength exercises. Aside from that my only other "cross-training" is the byproduct of stall cleaning or pasture cleaning :lol:

rabicon
Apr. 3, 2009, 04:32 PM
UMMM, cleaning stalls, toting water buckets, shoving wheelbarrows, carrying out hay, dragging the pasture or arena, etc ... this is all I have time for. :lol: but it does keep you in shape ;)

Pirateer
Apr. 3, 2009, 04:44 PM
One job is on my feet- not the greatest exercise but I'll take it.
Other job is on the 6th floor, and I don't take the elevator...

That is about it for me. Since I have a fat lab to skinny-ify before she heads to get shown, I will be doing a little running. or waddling, as the case may be.

TheJenners
Apr. 3, 2009, 05:07 PM
Getting over an injury I got at the police academy last year that has affected my running, just started back up. Was running four to eights miles about five days a week, usually about 20-30 mpw depending on my schedule. Crosstraining while recovering was elliptical and crossramp, 30 minutes to an hour and a half. Also lifting quite a bit, in the three digits. Now that the weather is improving, I'll be hiking again as well, though I don't count that as exercise and it doesn't go in my training log.

And, of course, exercising my mouth. ;)

2ndyrgal
Apr. 3, 2009, 08:47 PM
Rollerskate. If you are over 45 and haven't been on skates since parachute pants and black Trans Am's were the rage. Really. Don't do it. If you were in high school when GREASE was at the drive in, don't do it. Oh you'll think you're cool and hey, I still ride, so.... pppphfftt, I can still skate, right? Wrong party girl, and it will be really embarassing when the local rink rat has to help your sorry butt up, and you limp quietly off the floor like a pathetic Festus. (Also, if you know who Festus is, you might be to old to rollerskate)

Kenike
Apr. 3, 2009, 09:00 PM
Run, walk (GOOD walk that works up sweat & heart rate, not the leisurely thing) at least 5 miles a day at least 5 days a week and yoga year round.

Summer I can add in hiking and climbing, especially the 14'ers (for those out of Colorado, those are the mountain peaks that reach over 14,000 feet). I'll be getting a new bike soon, so I'll be able to add that in. It'll be a mountain bike, but I'll do some roadwork with it, too.

Hopeful Hunter
Apr. 3, 2009, 09:03 PM
work out once a week with a personal trainer who emphasizes core strength and since November I take International Latin Ballroom Dance classes, which are a good match with riding.

I do an hour with the PT, then do some weights and core training at home once a week (well, I TRY to do it...) and dance for about 3 hours a week. I only ride my own one horse, though.

Hillside H Ranch
Apr. 4, 2009, 12:04 AM
I only have my one horse to ride, and I ride 5 days a week. To keep strong, I swim 3 days a week and run (on the treadmill, I pretty much hate running, but this way I can watch TV) 2-3 days a week (not the same days that I swim). I also do Pilates 3-4 days a week and do as much yoga as I can (usually in the evenings, using the Yoga for Equestrians book.

SmileItLooksGoodOnYou
Apr. 4, 2009, 05:58 AM
I do the elliptical.

In reality I ride enough to not need other exercise most of the time. I go from jumping level 3-4 in an arena to jumping cross country over baby stuff to taking my horse swimming to leading trail rides to third level dressage. That's my version of cross training. For fun my friend lets me ride her reiner sometimes.

Credosporthorses
Apr. 5, 2009, 12:47 AM
I was just cleared to get back in the saddle after an ACL tear. But during the time that I was allowed to do low impact work I would swim everyday before school then after class to the barn to groom, hand walk which was more along the lines of ride bareback(what the doctor doesn’t know wont hurt anyone right?) clean some stalls then homework. Exercise the mind and body :)

equest
Apr. 5, 2009, 06:36 PM
I definitely need to get into a routine of more cardio, because once it gets HOT here, I have more trouble maintaining position and riding a course well due to the extreme heat and the toll it places on your system. More cardio in the heat is the plan.
I do not like to run, but I will walk at a fast pace and will use the gym machines. I swim laps sometimes. Tennis is the heat is also good (especially when you're as bad as I am and you have to run chasing balls!) I am excited that I now have a rollerblading buddy so I am planning to do this more often - it is great cardio, there's a 5 mi. track nearby, and it's easier on the joints than running.

twotonejobber
Apr. 5, 2009, 08:43 PM
Spinning!!

IsolaBella09
Apr. 5, 2009, 11:16 PM
Me:
Swimming/running. Getting a personal trainer this summer.

Horse:
He gets a dressage lesson weekly. He loves it! ;)

equest
Apr. 6, 2009, 10:59 AM
Spinning!!

Spinning is fun - but I began to notice my calves and thighs were TOO muscular after spinning a few times a week.

Maybe I will try to get back into it once per week!

Abberlaze
Apr. 7, 2009, 11:36 PM
I run/bike/elliptical 3 times a week. I've been trying to get outside hiking too as the weather is turning gorgeous outside! I need to focus more on my core though. Does anyone else have Dressage from A to X? It has some great suggestions of stretches and exercises specific to riders.

And... my motivation for working out is back as I found a lovely horse to ride :-)