PDA

View Full Version : I fell off...

To the MAX
Apr. 2, 2009, 04:53 PM
I fell off of my ex racehorse today, twice! Care to take a guess how both falls happened? I'll be back in a little while to see if anyone is right. :)

tcgelec
Apr. 2, 2009, 04:58 PM
You were WALKING, cooling down after your ride, and the guy on the other side of the privacy fence behind the arena rail decided it would be a good time to hose down said fence. If I'm wrong, then try to guess who that happened to!

OneMoreTime
Apr. 2, 2009, 05:02 PM
a spook & a bolt? Nah, that's probably too obvious.

HowDoILook
Apr. 2, 2009, 06:09 PM
Im going with he tripped the first time and you did a topple over the head:D:D And then, while getting back on he walked off causing the next fall:lol:

GilbertsCreeksideAcres
Apr. 2, 2009, 06:22 PM
The first time was when spaceship landed, and a large, silent humanoid alien stepped out and handed you a book called "To Serve Horse," which you handed to your OTTB, who spent a few minutes to decipher the contents, and then FREAKED. You fell off and he ran away, yelling, "It's a COOKBOOK!"

The second was when a little bunny rabbit hopped out of a cave and, when your trailriding friends approached it, it flew unexpectedly through the air and bit off their heads. You OTTB FREAKED. You fell off and he ran away yelling, "Watch it! That rabbit's dynamite!"

And that was quite a day.

mvp
Apr. 2, 2009, 06:38 PM
He stopped to graze and you didn't.

Well...the grass was right there, just growing all fresh and green and tender out of the ground. Anyone trapped in a box and fed the dry stale stuff would have stopped. What were you thinking?

Sebastian
Apr. 2, 2009, 06:39 PM
The second was when a little bunny rabbit hopped out of a cave and, when your trailriding friends approached it, it flew unexpectedly through the air and bit off their heads. You OTTB FREAKED. You fell off and he ran away yelling, "Watch it! That rabbit's dynamite!"

And that was quite a day.

I too have survived the "attack" rabbits. Why just this morning as we were walking down the trail, minding our own business... :winkgrin:

But as for the OP, I'm going with the scenario laid out by HowDoILook...

Seb :)

kookicat
Apr. 2, 2009, 06:59 PM
We have attack birds here. They sit like rocks on the fence until you ride right up to them then explode. They're like feathered grenades!

My guess- you fell off at the halt leaning down to hear your trainer.

HARROLDhasmyheart
Apr. 2, 2009, 07:53 PM
Hmm...you were walking along, not paying attention, and the next thing you know your horse is facing the other direction and you're on your feet on the ground? (Not that that happened to me, off of a pony or anything, because that would be incredibly embarrassing).

Perhaps a bee attack? Or maybe you fell off because you were so excited that you had a good round you just forgot to stay put in the saddle?

TBROCKS
Apr. 2, 2009, 08:03 PM
The first time was when spaceship landed, and a large, silent humanoid alien stepped out and handed you a book called "To Serve Horse," which you handed to your OTTB, who spent a few minutes to decipher the contents, and then FREAKED. You fell off and he ran away, yelling, "It's a COOKBOOK!"

:lol:
Excellent!

RHdobes563
Apr. 2, 2009, 09:01 PM
We have attack birds here. They sit like rocks on the fence until you ride right up to them then explode. They're like feathered grenades!

My guess- you fell off at the halt leaning down to hear your trainer.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

To the MAX
Apr. 2, 2009, 09:18 PM
All very good guesses! My favorite was the spaceship guess.
Here's what happened:
I was riding my crazy ex racehorse bareback for the first time, and I haven't ridden him in about 2 weeks. Of course, he tripped while we were loping along on a loose rein. Then, trying to get back on, I had one leg over his back and the mounting block slipped out from under the other foot, and I landed sitting right underneath him. :D So, HowDoILook, you were almost spot on! You win (the satisfaction of knowing you were right, anyway)!
I just love disspelling the "crazy OTTB" myths :)
Does anyone have any stupid or embarrassing falling off stories?

Sebastian
Apr. 2, 2009, 09:20 PM
Does anyone have any stupid or embarrassing falling off stories?

OH heck yeah...

Seb :)

heygirlhey33
Apr. 2, 2009, 09:34 PM
Funny Falling off story. Im on a witherless pony (well i guess they are somewhere under her fat roll) Im also 5'9" and this is a medium insane project pony. I jokingly say to my trainer something about her witherless state, and widest back ever, and like jiggle the saddle back and forth. Then I shook a little too hard to the left. And I found myself hanging upside down with my head on the ground. then I tottaly fell off sideways. sitting on the ground laughing. Devil pony was an angel and stared at me with the most confused look.

ETA: I also fail at leg ups. Major. Im up at the good old murphy ring at KHP. My groom attempted to give me a leg up. I fail. am like grasping on to back of saddle. Horse doesnt like this and gallops down the hill towards the schooling rings. This is all with 12 year old me holding on to the pomel with my arms extended and me chilling behind the saddle. I attempted to get reins. That then failed. and we continue galloping down the non pathed part of the hill (it is quite a steep hill for those of you have not been there) It then occurs to me that we are headed for the schooling area's fence (which beeing at the base of a steep hill seemed quite scary to my 12 year old self). Jr's were schooling in the ring so alot of trainers began to scream and the riders were all pointing. I had no other choice in my undeveloped brain, but to attempt to jump into the schooling ring as horsie wasnt stopping. Last minute horse skids to a stop right at the base and I land standing after sliding right off his but. There was alot of clapping and all these juniors gave me high fives. I was quite proud of my self. I still laugh thinking of that story

Hunter Mom
Apr. 2, 2009, 10:11 PM
Your fiance' proposed on horseback and you fell off leaning over to kiss him after he gave you the rock for your finger.
Later on the ride, you were admiring said rock, OTTB hopped over a creek and you didn't hop with him.

This is a true story, by the way.

lauraware
Apr. 2, 2009, 10:26 PM
Funny Falling off story. Im on a witherless pony (well i guess they are somewhere under her fat roll) Im also 5'9" and this is a medium insane project pony. I jokingly say to my trainer something about her witherless state, and widest back ever, and like jiggle the saddle back and forth. Then I shook a little too hard to the left. And I found myself hanging upside down with my head on the ground. then I tottaly fell off sideways. sitting on the ground laughing. Devil pony was an angel and stared at me with the most confused look.

Hahahhaha this has definitely happend to me!! I was doing a leadchange on a small pony catch ride, and well, when I went to step into my outside leg my whole saddle decided to come with me. So I'm hanging off the side, but I'm in the show ring, so I try to save it (I was like 12 at the time). And I'm trying to shift my weight back into my other heel, which is impossible cuz I'm like touching the ground, and the pony's trainer is at the back gate like rolling on the ground laughing, and he's like "Laura, just get off."

The best (or worst) part, is that the photographer was standing right there and got some nice shots of it...hahahaha :lol:

dghunter
Apr. 2, 2009, 10:33 PM
I was getting on my horse bareback (from a mounting block, not a leg up) and landed clear on the other side :lol: He's a pretty wide horse too... Then I just lay on the ground laughing with a couple of my friends.

dwblover
Apr. 3, 2009, 03:12 AM
I tried to get on a TB mare bareback from a mounting block. I did not make it, slipped back off and landed on my back under the horse. She continued to graze around me with an annoyed expression. Oh, then there was the time I had a spectacular fall in the warm-up area at a show over a crossrail! I made the club newsletter for my bravery for getting back on and winning third place in my division. Can you say embarassed?

Instant Karma
Apr. 3, 2009, 09:23 AM
Yeah I have fallen off twice in one ride too, when I had my OTTB for maybe 2 months. Both were nasty spooks, you would think I would have learned from the first one.

caradino
Apr. 3, 2009, 09:46 AM
Yeah I have fallen off twice in one ride too, when I had my OTTB for maybe 2 months. Both were nasty spooks, you would think I would have learned from the first one.

i've done this too!

i was riding a rank schoolie in a lesson and he bucked me off twice in the course of ten minutes.

instructor made me go get another horse because all of my falling was disrupting the class.

MissintheSouth
Apr. 3, 2009, 09:56 AM
Are roosting owls around any other part of the world??? I would like to know, b/c you wanna talk bird grenade - those little buggers are like feathered land mines!

They are endangered (for good reason I think, but then again I am a jaded victim of said feathered devil), so you aren't allowed to disturb their nests. They roost in the ground, in roll tops, tires, and empty oil drums that we use as jumps in our grass field. If they decide to grace your farm, it's illegal to oust them.

They love to wait until we ride real close and then pop out (in the daylight, these are not night owls) and screech while flapping their wings. They are about the size of a grenade.

Those things might look like Chicken Little but my horse is the one that thought the sky was falling!

AdultAmmy
Apr. 3, 2009, 10:55 AM
I must admit this thread is making my afternoon enjoyable! :yes:

Whimsically Smart
Apr. 3, 2009, 11:05 AM
I was at a show last summer and about to get on my horse for a morning hack. I was using a milk crate as a mounting block and just as I was lifting myself off the milk crate and into the saddle my horse decided to walk a tight circle around the crate... I fell off onto the crate... OUCH

LetsChat
Apr. 3, 2009, 11:05 AM
I must admit this thread is making my afternoon enjoyable! :yes:

Afternoon, if you are in PA it is still technically morning :lol: Nevertheless, this IS a very entertaining thread and PERFECT for a rainy Friday.....

My best fall off.... well one of many, I was out trailriding, lead horse, turned to tell the rest about a low branch and I guess my horse was walking faster than I thought because I got clotheslined and went flying off the back, lost my glasses and everything. Total mess ;)

ManyDogs
Apr. 3, 2009, 11:11 AM
Riding down to the ring on evil pony, down a pretty steep hill. She went down on both knees and I ended up in the dirt. In full view of everyone, of course. I'm pretty sure she planned it. :lol:

Hollywood
Apr. 3, 2009, 11:20 AM
I just came off my OTTB last week, after a fabulous ride, and this was at the WALK...but I don't believe him being an OTTB has anything to do with it:-)

We just had two nice canter departs - one on each lead - and since this has been a struggle for me, I was so elated! He was such a good boy. Anyway, we were done and walking to cool out and I was relaxed in the tack, when suddenly a gust of wind blew my neighbor's grden landscape carpet up in the air right at us. Horsey spooked, rightfully so, and the next thing I knew was that I was up in the air and tossed to the side...I managed to land on my feet with the reins, but he easily pulled me to my knees...poor guy was horrified. Got back on and pretended it never happened.

It just happened so fast, and I was laughing at myself...I can only imagine what my neighbors thought if they saw it. Of course, no one came running out of the house to see if all was ok...they were probably laughing too hard!

yellowbritches
Apr. 3, 2009, 11:25 AM
I got thrown clear over a small pony once while getting a leg up (I was getting on bareback, and no, I can't get on a small from the ground. Stupid short legs). I landed in a heap on the pony's other side, and she turned and looked at me with this look that totally said "Idiot." :lol:

More recently, I was jumping a kid's horse through a little gymnastic. This horse is a SAINT but not at all athletic. He has no reason to be, he just needs to be good. Anyway, the gymnastic ended up being a pretty big step for him and his non-athleticness and he decided the better part of valor at one point was not to jump (it was probably more than he was comfortably ready for, as he has since jumped through gymnastics with kids just fine). I, forgetting he is saintly but unathletic and not an uber athlete like I'm used to riding, tried to stuff him...it just did NOT work and I went between his ears. Totally deserved it and got teased to no end that I fell off the saint. :lol:

llsc
Apr. 3, 2009, 05:05 PM
I used to own a horse who could spook so quickly out from under his rider that it was like a magician pulling the table cloth out from under the dishes. I was riding in a lesson and just trotting around when he spookedat absolutey nothing and went out from under me. I was left standing on my feet, in the exact spot he used to be, while everyone asked how the heck I wound up standing there on the ground.

Another time, I was about 12 and I was trying to get a small pony through a bounce. He'd jump in and stop at the out and I'd fly over his head. He did it about 7 times before I finally listened to my trainer and sat back over the entire thing to get him through it. Of course everytime he's stop, I'd keep hold of the reins and he's pull off his bridle and go running all over the ring. I'm not sure who was more frustrated me or my trainer. I held the record for most times falling off in a row, and probably still do.

Czar
Apr. 3, 2009, 06:52 PM
I've told this story on here before but it bears repeating :yes:

I was doing turn-in & didn't want to walk from the far paddock (unfortunately, I was NOT 12) so I decided to hop on our shetland with the ole halter & lead rope bit.

I got about 4 steps and the little bugger started trotting - I already didn't trust him so I tried to get him to walk. Well, as soon as he realized I wanted him to slow down....he took off.

A number of thoughts passed through my head as I was deciding what the best outcome of this could be. Pulling back certainly wasn't having any affect (ever tried to halt a shetland pony while bareback?). So for some reason, I thought I could dismount onto my feet from a gallop if I landed running :confused:

It was like one of those cartoons - for one instant, my feet touched the ground and I was like "Aha!"....and than I did a faceplant. It actually kind of hurt :lol:

MILOUTE55
Apr. 3, 2009, 09:56 PM
So for some reason, I thought I could dismount onto my feet from a gallop if I landed running :confused:

It was like one of those cartoons - for one instant, my feet touched the ground and I was like "Aha!"....and than I did a faceplant. It actually kind of hurt :lol:

:D

sorry, I couldn't help but picturing the scene....

Rebels_Princess
Apr. 3, 2009, 10:24 PM
My greatest fall...

Would have to be when my dad gave me a leg up at a show and proceeded to toss me right over my horse. I never did live that one down. lol

Paragon
Apr. 3, 2009, 11:22 PM
Twice in one ride? Psh. Try three times in one show. :D Oh yes.

Discovered my trusty rusher was also a stopper. Stopped at the warmup fence and I came off over her head, smacked my leg on the jump. Stopped at the third fence of our first course and I came off. Stopped at the second fence of our second course and I came off, I went sideways and hit the standard - knocked the jump down and everything.

Had I decided to try the third course, I probably would have come off there, too. ;) Was just one of those days.