PDA

View Full Version : Tops in the Hunter World?

Barbara_F
Apr. 2, 2009, 05:15 PM
Who would the top trainers/riders/ competitors in the Hunter world be? I can think of some big names in other disciplines, but am stumped when it comes to the hunters. I am, thinking of names that are universally respected, such as Jane Savoie in dressage or Ian Millar in jumpers.
Thanks!

SaturdayNightLive
Apr. 2, 2009, 05:21 PM
Scott Stewart, Peter Pletcher, John French...

BAC
Apr. 2, 2009, 05:22 PM

Plus Sandy Ferrell and Louise Serio, can't forget the ladies. ;) I think Scott Stewart is probably the biggest name in hunter trainers though.

Dirty Little Secret
Apr. 3, 2009, 09:38 AM
Liza Towell Boyd

neutral milk hotel
Apr. 3, 2009, 07:05 PM
Scott Stewart, Jennifer Alfano, Havens Schatt, Archie Cox, John French

Pirateer
Apr. 3, 2009, 07:19 PM
He may be a jumper rider, but Hap Hansen is LOVELY on a hunter...(Ever see the videos of the stallion Sir Caletto?)

3Dogs
Apr. 3, 2009, 08:45 PM
glad you mentioned Hap - he is da bomb on a hunter! :)

Also - hmm, John Bragg, Kelley Farmer

HunterRider992
Apr. 3, 2009, 09:14 PM
Tommy Serio

juniormom
Apr. 3, 2009, 09:28 PM
Daniel Geitner - hunters and jumpers
Betty Oare
Hunt Tosh

je.suis
Apr. 4, 2009, 09:03 AM
Holly Orlando

Nikki^
Apr. 4, 2009, 12:19 PM
Terry Brown. Watch her ride when you get the chance. She's is fluid and soft.

iridehorses
Apr. 4, 2009, 12:47 PM
jen alfano
scott stewart

trainers for jrs at least-dont stewart, bill schaub

zanmdillon
Apr. 4, 2009, 06:40 PM
Rick Fancher, Rodney Bross, Olin Armstrong, Louise Serio, Larry Glefke, Bucky Reynolds, Jack Towell, Patty Heugeroth(Sp?), Joey Darby, Katie Monahan, Joe Fargis, Mclain Ward, Beezie/John Madden...just my opinion and I'm sure I left somebody out.

Pirateer
Apr. 5, 2009, 12:48 AM
Rick Fancher, Rodney Bross, Olin Armstrong, Louise Serio, Larry Glefke, Bucky Reynolds, Jack Towell, Patty Heugeroth(Sp?), Joey Darby, Katie Monahan, Joe Fargis, Mclain Ward, Beezie/John Madden...just my opinion and I'm sure I left somebody out.

Um....I can't picture the Maddens or Mclain especially ON a hunter. Guess I've seen Beezie schooling eq horses, but on a real life hunter?

zanmdillon
Apr. 5, 2009, 09:42 PM
Sorry I misread the title but I have to say I'm quite certain they could hold their own in the hunters

EAY
Apr. 6, 2009, 08:39 AM
What about Charlie Weaver? When I was a kid in the early 80s I used to love watching him ride the hunters.

Hocus Focus
Apr. 6, 2009, 11:26 AM
Have spent the past two weeks here in Houston, Texas witnessing first hand the skills of Peter Pletcher and would have to say he is brilliant on all levels of hunters. Very consistent and delivers an elastic supple ride and makes it all look so easy. The horses look very relaxed in his hand. He pretty much cleaned up. I saw him ride five in the Green Working, lowest scoring was an 82 and top 94, had four in the top five in the class including Champion and Reserve on Eva Bisso's Westview and Portfino. Peter also won the Pin Oak Charity Hunter Derby on Argentum, making it his second consecutive victory on the same horse. In the week following the Pin Oak Charity, the Spring Gathering, he had a brilliant first round on Argentum and then an unfortunate error by horse cost him the class. Will Roberts pulled off the victory with Peter second on yet another entry. He had four rides of the 27 entered. A lot of nice horses at the Houston show. The Spring Gathering was greater in the numbers as a hunter show than a jumper show. The Children's hunters of course were nonstop.... and I covered them all till I was blue in the face.

Add Hunt Tosh to the mix. I believe he is also highly rated. ( I may have his name misspelled, correct me if I am wrong....seems to be a habit of mine, called Pletcher Fletcher for a while till I got that one straight in my head... ha ha)

Will Roberts may not be in the same class as Peter Pletcher but he is right there behind him, and when Pletcher has even the smallest error, Will is willing to claim the honors. Definitely his top competitor in the Houston area.

Andrew
Apr. 6, 2009, 11:31 AM
DITTO along with Olin Armstron, Tommy & Louise Serrio, Jen Alfano, I'm SURE I'm missing some, so forgive me!

Equinoxfox
Apr. 6, 2009, 11:35 AM
Can't forget.. Peg Seals. She does very well with all her Hunters. She has many awards at All Indoors plus her riders get great ribbons & are very competive at the "A & AA" shows.
NOT only is she a hard worker but just recently she built a brand new facility named " Freedom Farm" for many reason.;)

FarnleyGarnet
Apr. 6, 2009, 01:11 PM
Add Pam Baker to the list of great trainers mentioned from Virginia. She is very well known on the east coast, not sure if her name is recognizable in other areas of the country?

CBoylen
Apr. 6, 2009, 07:49 PM
Um....I can't picture the Maddens or Mclain especially ON a hunter.
Mclain doesn't often do hunters, but someone had him show a nice one a few years ago in FL and he did very well with it.

MMorgan
Apr. 6, 2009, 07:54 PM
Patty Stovel is great with the green hunters--She's been very successful in the futurity over the years. She's absolutely beautiful to watch.

clancypants
Apr. 6, 2009, 08:23 PM
They are outstanding but live in Seattle, so maybe less well-known on the East Coast but they train San Marino and Jack is one of the best hunter riders in the country and has been for years! John is incredible with both horses and riders and they're incredibly knowledgeable and many younger trainers come to them for help at the shows.

Ernesto
Apr. 7, 2009, 11:55 AM
San Morino is absolutely stunning to watch . . . he's actually a Canadian owned and trained horse that lives on Vancouver Island and ships down to be shown with Jack and John for the horse shows. They do a great job and Jack is a wonderful rider.

Silk
Apr. 7, 2009, 04:11 PM
Mclain doesn't often do hunters, but someone had him show a nice one a few years ago in FL and he did very well with it.

He rode Hilton or one of Erin Stewart's horses in some hunter invitational or special class at WEF a number of years back. Really galloped the course. It was a lovely round from what I understand. Same incedent?

CBoylen
Apr. 7, 2009, 06:10 PM
No Silk, I was thinking of one someone had for him to show regularly, a grey. Can't remember its name.
--Found it, it was Noel Love Gross's "Northfields".

Barb G
Apr. 12, 2009, 02:49 PM
Hap is really a genius rider for both the hunters and jumpers...he has the feel required...as do others certainly, but he is just a genius...when I had Caletto in Indio with him for the month he was so in tune with him (then again so was Diane Yeager who first showed Sir Caletto in the USA). But throughout the day he ran between the jumper ring and hunter ring without missing a beat...and then lo and behold I see him out adjusting and fixing his own warmup fences for a pregreen horses he was training to show...I also spent time in Spruce Meadows with Hap and a big jumper I owned and it was the same thing up there, uncomplicated and successful.......fo those you remember Ted Fieger (RIP),he told me once and I think Ted was right, he can make a horse with not so much scope perform well to, over and after the fence and then if he has one that can really jump like Caletto, he really brings out their best! Real poetry in motion!

MHM
Apr. 12, 2009, 11:43 PM
No Silk, I was thinking of one someone had for him to show regularly, a grey. Can't remember its name.
--Found it, it was Noel Love Gross's "Northfields".

Huh. I wonder how that happened?!? :lol:

I do remember seeing Mclain do that night class on a hunter at WEF years ago, but that was a special occasion.

Punkie
Apr. 13, 2009, 02:24 AM
Tom Wright

BREEDINGMANIAC
Sep. 29, 2009, 11:23 PM
Where is Peg Seal's new place. I saw her ride in the classic at Culpeper and her winning trip was just beautiful. She seems to do very well, and her students ride great.

luckeys71
Sep. 30, 2009, 03:35 PM
Peg Seals is still in Carrollton, VA (SE VA), just a few minutes from her old place. The new farm IS really lovely. I rode with Peg for many years and think she is as great a teacher as she is a rider. She is an amazingly hard working woman and super nice person.

BREEDINGMANIAC
Sep. 30, 2009, 08:22 PM
Thanks, I will have to check it out!

ifever
Nov. 24, 2009, 12:55 PM
Peg Seals ROCKS - she is such a hard worker & rides the heck out of any horse !!!! Her talent comes across on how well her customers do in the show ring - she may ride the horses to many tri-colors but her customers do the same. She can train your daughter's small pony or your 17H horse. There is nothing that Peg can't do (on the farm or in the saddle) - she is remarkable & an incredible talent & inspiration on the east coast. I have looked up to her for 33+ yrs -from her days of working for Marquerite Taylor back in the 70's to now. Ok - so Laura says "good thing she trains horses so well because she can't train her dogs." Truly Freddie & Jackie are pretty well behaved - Peg just loves them so much that she finds it hard to be mean to them when they need it. She has an enourmous heart & truly cares about the horses (and her dogs) and her awesome clientle at Freedom Farm. If you live in southeast Virginia - there is nobody better - don't get me wrong - we are blessed with lots of great equestrians in our area but Peg Seals is by far the BEST !!!!!!

Who would the top trainers/riders/ competitors in the Hunter world be? I can think of some big names in other disciplines, but am stumped when it comes to the hunters. I am, thinking of names that are universally respected, such as Jane Savoie in dressage or Ian Millar in jumpers.
Thanks!

JinxyFish313
Nov. 24, 2009, 01:16 PM
Is Olin Armstrong still riding?

findeight
Nov. 24, 2009, 01:33 PM
Well, this was interesting to look back at.

For one thing, there are really only about 25 names that would qualify as being true BNTs in the Hunter world-as in recognizable to anybody who shows the USEF AA rated circuits anywhere in the country. Some named here are, no doubt, quite good. But more regional names and not known everywhere.

One, an Amateur, is no longer active nationally and has not been for the last few years now.

Ahem....one named on here is quite well known-for all the wrong reasons including multiple... er..."vacations". Has a despicable reputation coast to coast.

Yet another, I believe, is on this month's list of shame and is more a regional name.

Trees4U
Nov. 24, 2009, 03:18 PM
Wasn't Beezie Patton Madden a hunter rider years ago? - college level?

SOTB
Nov. 24, 2009, 05:32 PM
Is Olin Armstrong still riding?

Yep, he rides full time. They have my filly and I just watched him school her last week. He's still got the magic touch.

MHM
Nov. 24, 2009, 06:22 PM
Wasn't Beezie Patton Madden a hunter rider years ago? - college level?

I think I remember reading that she showed in the IHSA stuff at college, as did (I believe) Peter Wylde and Greg Best.

She has such a smooth way on a horse, she could certainly do well in the hunter ring if she wanted to. :)

Green Acres
Nov. 24, 2009, 07:22 PM
I think I remember reading that she showed in the IHSA stuff at college, as did (I believe) Peter Wylde and Greg Best.

She has such a smooth way on a horse, she could certainly do well in the hunter ring if she wanted to. :)

Yes Beezie did do IHSA in college. I was at the same college a year behind her and she was beautiful to watch even back then. She could do the hunters with ease if she wanted....

ArthurGuinness
Nov. 24, 2009, 09:05 PM
How about Jimmy Toon, Susie Schelcoff (sp), and Missy Clark. They all do not compete but thet are amazing trainers.

who22
Nov. 24, 2009, 09:35 PM
Susie Schelcoff (sp)

Susie Schoellkopf. I agree. What about the Jaynes? Not a fan, but they are big. Also, Diane Carney.

Equinoxfox
Nov. 25, 2009, 09:40 AM
Were any of you at Washington International this year to see Peg Seals WIN the Handy Hunter class in the Second Years :yes:
YES she smoked around on " Starstruck " and was AWESOME !!!
WE Love You Peg !!!!!

luckeys71
Nov. 25, 2009, 10:57 PM
I was there and there to see all her young ladies do so well in the Adult Hunter Finals.

Hunter_Rider
Nov. 25, 2009, 11:14 PM
I love riding with Peg. As If Ever said, she works very hard... she is at the barn from 8 am until 7 or 8 pm every night. She rides 15 or so horses every day, in between teaching lessons. I have only been with her since the end of August, but I love her lessons, I have a very green horse in training with her, but I ride every week with her, and I am so impressed with her coaching. She really concentrates on the flatwork, which pays off over fences. I feel very lucky to have the opportunity to ride with her, and you could not ask for a nicer person. Her farm is beautiful, and she works so hard to keep it that way! It is definately a top notch facility, and her students that show ride great, which is evident from indoors! My goal is to show indoors in the next couple of years, and I feel like I have the best coach to get me there!

Pony Soprano
Nov. 25, 2009, 11:26 PM
I wish that the Hunter Derbys had been around when Mclain was showing the second year horse. I have always thought that he can make any horse "hunt" around a course beautifully.

ifever
Dec. 13, 2009, 11:57 AM
Peg continues to excel from her dedication & hard work. She was just named 2009 VHSA Horse Person of the Year and sooo well deserves it. I unfortunately can only ride about once or twice a month and can ONLY do this because of Peg !!!!! Her talent on a horse (or pony) is just mind boggling - there isn't much Peg can't do. Her love and passion for the sport, her clients, and each and every horse is remarkable. I have known her for 33 yrs & she has always been trusting, honest, and a complete professional plus an incredible rider. I look up to her in so many ways & look forward to my daughter getting to experience "Peg's TLC" not only under saddle but as a great role model. The entire staff at Freedom Farm (Laura, Courtney, Tyler, etc) are the best!!!!!! It is worth the drive to ride with her or certainly to send your horse to her for "a fix". Even if you can only meet her at the shows it is WELL worth it. I can't say enough about her as you can tell from my post and I'm not just bias in my words - even those that don't ride with her and her counter parts in the industry would agree. Check out her new website at freedomfarminc.com.

Were any of you at Washington International this year to see Peg Seals WIN the Handy Hunter class in the Second Years :yes:
YES she smoked around on " Starstruck " and was AWESOME !!!
WE Love You Peg !!!!!