PDA

View Full Version : Critique Please

Talk of the Town
Apr. 2, 2009, 07:58 AM
This is myself and a pony I ride while I'm home. Yes he is a pony! haha. The jump is 3'3.

http://inlinethumb63.webshots.com/45310/2932622450104999546S500x500Q85.jpg (http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2932622450104999546KOAYqt)

tidy rabbit
Apr. 2, 2009, 08:37 AM
No critique from me. Cute pony!

But I do think your measuring tape is broken. You might need a new one.

Talk of the Town
Apr. 2, 2009, 08:51 AM
The jump does look smaller than 3'3 in the picture but my father built the roll top and it is exactly 3' and add the rail thats 3'3.

Dapple Dawn Farm
Apr. 2, 2009, 08:54 AM
Cute pony! You need to shorten your stirrup by a hole or two...you're perched on your toe and jumping ahead.

Jealoushe
Apr. 2, 2009, 11:24 AM
Definitly shorten those stirrups. You may be slightly jumping ahead also as a result.

Hauwse
Apr. 2, 2009, 11:35 AM
Nice pony indeed, scopey and typey.

You, as one poster stated, you need to shorten your stirrups, for exactly the reason the previous poster stated; you are way ahead, you have chicken wings, and are hanging off the side of the pony.

Start with the stirrups, find your base with your butt, thighs, and lower leg, and let your pony jump, and you follow.

I suspect that if you do this you will see this little guy get round, point his ears and really show the ability he has.

A lot can be learned by listening to your ride, and this pony is saying with his ears what the hell are you doing way over there, I am trying to do something here, let me do it.

Use a real release you are committing a cardinal sin, and faux crest release with your hands completely independent of the horses neck, balancing on his mouth, as is evident from the bit. Your chicken wings, sticking your elbows out is bad as it changes the way you hold your hands. Once your hands start to turn over you change the give point from your elbows to your shoulders, and your shoulders are only ever meant to be a bracing point if you are trying to stop a horse that has run away from you, your elbows are built to give naturally, that is why we hold the reins the way we do and why we use crest releases, and extensions of them. They stop us from doing the dreadful.... hitting a horse in the mouth over a fence.

If I were you I would submit this photo to GM. I am certain he would have some really good advice regarding your position etc.

I am not trying to be overly critical these are just things I see at a quick glance, and I assume you put your picture up on the board to get some honest criticism.

gg4918
Apr. 2, 2009, 11:55 AM
angle of the thigh is wayyyyy too big. Should be about 110 degrees. Yours is near 130/140. Fix it by shortening your irons.
Due to the way too long irons you're ducking-if you're riding properly and really staying with your horse then your back should be just about parallel with the horse's neck.
Learn to really press your knuckles into the horse's (or pony's!) neck, rather it appears in this picture that you're holding onto his mouth for support more than his neck.
Keep up the good work!

findeight
Apr. 2, 2009, 12:07 PM
Shorter stirrup is going to give you more support and allow you to keep that hip a teeny bit more open which will set you back over your leg-that should help you not to chase him over with your shoulder, overweight his front end and loose the chicken wing non release.

If you look at your hand, you can see it's turned parallel with the ground and off his neck with no softening in that rein, that's the worst thing you are doing. And the too long stirrup is making it worse as you can't open up the hip and sit a little more upright to stay off his neck.

Use a PROPER crest release with hands about 2 inches below the crest and pressed into the neck for support and stability for his mouth until you get the laying on the neck corrected. Bend forward from the hip as opposed to standing on your toes and throwing the shoulder forward.

Work on those issues.

JustJumpIt111
Apr. 2, 2009, 12:20 PM
I just want to chime in that I think your pony is adorable! :)

equest
Apr. 2, 2009, 01:33 PM
holy roll top! That's cool.

I agree you seem to be reaching for your stirrup

Talk of the Town
Apr. 2, 2009, 02:26 PM
Thanks for all the honest comments!!! Does anyone have any exercises to help keep me from jumping ahead? that is after i shorten my stirrups.

findeight
Apr. 2, 2009, 02:41 PM
Practice over poles on the ground. Set them 9 or 10 feet apart-not critcal at all, move them in or out as needed. Start with just 2 and don't add more until you master the excercise with just the 2.

Come around in a full seat with collection. MAKE yourself stay in that full seat and add as needed.

Then you can come around in a two point but NOT on the neck, just close the hip angle a little to bring your body a little forward. It's poles so no dramatic release, just close up and let that take you out of the tack and bring the hand forward. Resist the urge to "help" it along with the shoulder.

Then you are going to come around with something in the middle called a half seat. Butt in the tack but hip angle closed to take the weight off your seat bones..a little more closed when you open the stride and a little more open to collect. This is what you will use on 90% of your course. ONLY two point as the horse lifts you out of the tack on take off and closes the hip angle-no shoulder throwing to haul the body out of the tack.

Just a matter of developing muscle memory and then mind over matter to keep it up when on a course.

Take some videos of yourself and remember the shoulder should never be ahead of the knee. Anywhere. Except, maybe, over the very top of a bigger fence then here. GM would just say never.

OneMoreTime
Apr. 2, 2009, 02:48 PM
Cute pony!

In terms of exercises to not come in front, I've found that jumping without reins, hands on the back of your helmet, elbows straight out, is the most helpful thing in the world. You really have to let the horse jump up to you & let him close your hip angle. If you can, going w/no reins & no stirrups is also good once you start to "get it"

tidy rabbit
Apr. 2, 2009, 02:48 PM
F8,

Can you elaborate here? I don't understand the part about the shoulder never being ahead of the knee when going over a jump. Did you mean hip?

Take some videos of yourself and remember the shoulder should never be ahead of the knee. Anywhere. Except, maybe, over the very top of a bigger fence then here. GM would just say never.

slee171
Apr. 2, 2009, 04:19 PM
Hi Talk of the Town.... lol Seneca's show name! Just wanted to say cute pic hahaha! I hope you are enjoying ur semester over there! We sure miss you over here!

Talk of the Town
Apr. 2, 2009, 04:30 PM
Slee171 aren't you a sneaky one haha I had to think for a min before the light bulb went off. Miss you guys too, I still haven't found a place to ride yet. This is the longest break i've take from riding since I started at 8 haha Hows Finn?

tikihorse2
Apr. 2, 2009, 05:48 PM
I have no tips, just wanted to say that's one heck of a cute pony! What a jump on him! :yes:

Kim

MLP
Apr. 2, 2009, 06:22 PM
No critique, I think most everyone has given you good points. I think you look nice and I LOVE the pony. So adorable.... and your Dad is talented too, nice jump.

HARROLDhasmyheart
Apr. 2, 2009, 07:55 PM
That pony has horrendous form and looks nasty...I think he should be sent to me, immediately:lol:

As others have said, you are jumping ahead and perching up on your toes...focus on sinking the weight down in your heels, and not "over releasing/over jumping" based upon the size of the jump.

Talk of the Town
Apr. 3, 2009, 03:43 AM
Thank you everyone for the comments. I really appreciate all of you taking time to look at my photo. Also thanks for all the tips to help me stop jumping ahead...it's my one weakness that I struggle with. And last but not least thanks for all the compliments on my pony. He is really very special to me even if he can be a 'pony' sometimes haha.

trakehner013
Apr. 3, 2009, 02:49 PM
Very cute pony!

Hopewell
Apr. 3, 2009, 03:09 PM
Is your pony for sale??!!

Silk
Apr. 3, 2009, 05:59 PM
That pony has horrendous form and looks nasty...I think he should be sent to me, immediately:lol:

I agree! Totally worthless but I'll do you a favor and take him for you:) Hurry, before the economy really dives - LOL.

He is wonderful! How lucky you are to have an opportunity to ride such a scopey luttle guy. Do you know what he is?

Talk of the Town
Apr. 3, 2009, 06:13 PM
haha Thanks for all the 'offers' Actually we are not sure what breed he is, but we think he is some kind of Connemara cross. He really is a great little guy, and its kind of funny but I would rather jump him 3'6 than my AA horse, he is so gosh darn athletic...a little too much sometimes but I'm grateful that he has allowed me to do my first 4' jumps which he does with ease haha Thanks again for all your great compliments!!

dghunter
Apr. 3, 2009, 10:58 PM
I can sympathize with the jumping ahead. I'm sure my trainer is sick of telling me to wait :lol: I found that shortening my stirrups helped A LOT! And making sure that I keep my heels down really seems to help a lot. That and just lots of repetition. Poles on the ground, cross rails, etc... It doesn't have to be over a big fence.