PDA

View Full Version : Devon Horse Show

CenterStage123
Apr. 1, 2009, 08:51 PM
Who's going this year? Or well who is waiting to hear if they qualified? What are you all showing in?

I'm going for the first time ever in the local hunters. I'm really excited. Also, what should I expect? I've been a spectator there for every year I can remember, but I've never been on the other side of things.

brightwhitestockings
Apr. 1, 2009, 09:00 PM
a pony jumper in my barn is waiting to hear if she got in, and several girls are doin the locals too! Couldn't tell you what to expect tho; i've never actually ridden at devon. :( But good luck! ;)

Cruise Control
Apr. 1, 2009, 09:07 PM
My son and i are doing Parent and child over fences and in the family class.

horserider12
Apr. 1, 2009, 09:32 PM
mine is doing the three year old hunter breeding and under saddle class........that should be interesting!

bascher
Apr. 1, 2009, 09:41 PM
I'm doing the locals with my greenie :) and I know a couple other people from my barn are doing locals as well.

It's a lot of fun..this will be my fourth time doing them and I love it each time!

Paint Hunter/Jumper
Apr. 1, 2009, 09:56 PM
a pony jumper in my barn is waiting to hear if she got in, and several girls are doin the locals too! Couldn't tell you what to expect tho; i've never actually ridden at devon. :( But good luck! ;)

one of those girls riding in locals from our barn is me! It's my first time, too! I have also only been on the spectator side of things, so I also want to know what to expect! Bring on the advice people! :D

JinxyPoo
Apr. 1, 2009, 10:00 PM
I'm waiting to hear back but I will hopefully be doing adult jumpers!! :D

happyridergrl
Apr. 1, 2009, 10:03 PM
im waiting to here back for the younger a/o's and i have entered one of mine in the derby and my trainer has entered one of my others! fingers crossed!

alittlegray
Apr. 1, 2009, 10:04 PM
We'd love to go, but there is just no way dd's pony is fancy enough. Maybe someday though! Y'all have fun up there!

superpony123
Apr. 1, 2009, 10:15 PM
i wish my pony was fancy enough! if he still did ponyjumpers, we could go in for the PJ's, and he'd probably still win, too, but i'm more of a hunter girl :D (and really, he has turned out to be a cute hunter pony)

anywho, i'm taking my boyfriend with me to watch the junior jumper classic and the pony hunt teams, and hopefully if we get there early enough, we'll catch the PJ's going :D BF isnt a rider but ive taken him on trail rides and he thinks its fun and likes horses in general (this ones a keeper!)

i went last year to watch the pony teams and the jr jumper classic and i had tons of fun. took lots of great pics. i'm excited for this year!

bascher
Apr. 1, 2009, 10:56 PM
one of those girls riding in locals from our barn is me! It's my first time, too! I have also only been on the spectator side of things, so I also want to know what to expect! Bring on the advice people! :D

My advice...relax and enjoy it! It's Devon, so enjoy the experience. Not that I'm one to talk, seeing as how I'm THE MOST nervous person in the world, but if you can manage to relax, you'll enjoy it a lot more! And make sure that someone takes a picture of your name up on the scoreboard :yes:

flogarty
Apr. 1, 2009, 11:34 PM
I'm waiting to hear back but I will hopefully be doing adult jumpers!! :D

Hey, me too!

where are you from? Who is your horse/ trainer? Did you go last year?

I went last year, and did well. This year my mother and trainer convinced me to send in an entry this year even though I initially didn't want to.

quicksilverponies
Apr. 1, 2009, 11:39 PM
I am going to watch my 2 yr old filly by my stallion that will be showing in the Pony Hunter Breeding. My handler, Oliver Brown, will be showing his yearling colt by Adagio as well and they will both go in the get of sire class. Can't wait to see everybody and the horses/ponies!

JinxyPoo
Apr. 2, 2009, 12:49 AM
Hey, me too!

where are you from? Who is your horse/ trainer? Did you go last year?

I went last year, and did well. This year my mother and trainer convinced me to send in an entry this year even though I initially didn't want to.

I'm from south NJ my horse's name is Four's A Charm :) I didn't go last year, and it was a total last minute decision this year!

lauraware
Apr. 2, 2009, 01:17 AM
Devon is the most amazing place on the planet!!!! (but you've been there before, so you already know that!) i got to show there last year, and i would kill to go back. so, you can expect to have the time of your life, no doubt!!!

gusbabe
Apr. 2, 2009, 07:54 AM
We are waiting to see if dd qualified for pony jumpers. It will be her first time ever! Keep you fingers crossed!

ladipus
Apr. 2, 2009, 07:56 AM
Who's going thusnyear? Or well who is waiting to hear if they qualified? What are you all showing in?

I'm going for the first time ever in the local hunters. I'm really excited. Also, what should I expect? I've been a spectator there for every year I can remember, but I've never been on the other side of things.

I've got my 2 4yr.olds going for the Young Hunters Under Saddle...should be fun fun fun!!!

scheibyee
Apr. 2, 2009, 08:13 AM
EZ to Spot and Adam Sklansky will be going from my barn for the pony jumpers! Also I have a question about locals, I live in Pennsy not too far from Devon but I ride in Ringoes, NJ.... are there rules about the horses locality for the locals class?

gg4918
Apr. 2, 2009, 08:25 AM
Going to watch my Equitation horse compete with the girl thats leasing him and going to watch the foal from the barn compete in hand.
Also going to watch the girls from the barn that are doing the Eq.
MIGHT still end up doing the USET there. Probably not worth going just for one class, especially in this economy.

REH
Apr. 2, 2009, 08:50 AM
I'm waiting to hear if I got in for the ammies and the workings. I loff Devon. With the economy in the tanker I'm not sure I'll try for indoors this year, but I loff Devon and hope I get in. Fingers crossed for everyone waiting.

Show Hunter
Apr. 2, 2009, 09:21 AM
I am also planning to go in the younger A/Os, assuming I get in! I am looking forward to it - Devon is my favorite horse show of the year. Already can't wait to eat tea sandwiches...yum!

Ethan & Ella's Mom
Apr. 2, 2009, 10:02 AM
Fingers crossed for REH and Show Hunter.

Great article in COTH Show Hunter. Congratulations on your circuit championship!!

Jsalem
Apr. 2, 2009, 10:34 AM
Waiting to hear on our First Year Green horse, Water Music. Crossing fingers and toes!

Neighland
Apr. 2, 2009, 10:59 AM
My yearling and three year old are entered thanks to lauriep, we will be taking at least one if not both!! :)

lcw579
Apr. 2, 2009, 11:41 AM
I'll be volunteering does that count? :winkgrin:

bascher
Apr. 2, 2009, 11:45 AM
EZ to Spot and Adam Sklansky will be going from my barn for the pony jumpers! Also I have a question about locals, I live in Pennsy not too far from Devon but I ride in Ringoes, NJ.... are there rules about the horses locality for the locals class?

Schei-I haven't talked to you in FOREVER. I can get the rules for locals for you if you want..I think I still have your cell number :)

Lion1024
Apr. 2, 2009, 11:52 AM
Check ryegate for the prizelist. I want to say it is something like the horse has to be stabled X miles from the showgrounds?

Good luck to everyone waiting!

Copied from Ryegate:
Horses to be owned by exhibitors living within a 40 mile radius of the Devon Show grounds, based on owners zip code. Owner listed on the entry blank must be the owner listed on the horses USHJA Registration Papers or provide proof of ownership or lease. Judges are to select the horses apparently the most agreeable mounts to hounds; the main consideration being even hunting pace, manners, way of going and style of jumping. Ticks will not be scored unless the fault of bad jumping. Conformation will not be considered, but hunting soundness is required. Jumps 3'3". Any horse and/ r rider competing in the Local Hunter Section may not compete in any qualifying hunter
class over fences, with the exception of Class 187, or any jumper class.
If the number of entries in this section exceeds 50, this section will be divided by every other number and the prize money will be doubled.

MoonWitch
Apr. 2, 2009, 12:35 PM
I remember as a child the magic of Devon. Something about the smell, the sounds, everything captured my heart and filled my dreams. It took a long time before I actually walked through those gates on my horse and felt the hair stand up on my arms as those memories came flooding back to me. I did the locals and my daughter and I did the family class under the lights in the Dixon Oval. The sound of the crowd cheering - the grand stands filled with friends - it was just magic!

If I never get there again, I will cherrish that memory for the rest of my life! Enjoy it - savor every minute - take in every sight, sound, smell and of course - taste, but above all have FUN!! AND pray really hard for good weather!

eqrider1234
Apr. 2, 2009, 06:34 PM
how do you qualify for Devon? They have so many cool classes it sounds like, a family class? too bad im the only one in my family who rides haha

bascher
Apr. 2, 2009, 07:05 PM
how do you qualify for Devon? They have so many cool classes it sounds like, a family class? too bad im the only one in my family who rides haha

You don't have to qualify for every class, for ex: Locals, and I also believe the Family Classes and the Parent/Child classes. Probably more, but I'm not quite sure :)

CenterStage123
Apr. 2, 2009, 07:35 PM
They also have hunt teams. Does anyone know if the jumps in the hunt teams are acctually 3' 6"? In the youtube videos they look a lot littler...

ynl063w
Apr. 2, 2009, 07:58 PM
They also have hunt teams. Does anyone know if the jumps in the hunt teams are acctually 3' 6"? In the youtube videos they look a lot littler...

Last year they were tiny, and there weren't that many of them if I remember correctly (the ring seemed kind of empty). The year before they were bigger - I think some of the oxers were 3'3", but the verticals seemed like 3'. Some of the hunt teams are pretty scary to watch. The same thing happens in the locals - one year they're 3' - 3'3", the next year they're 3' at most.

neigh.neigh
Apr. 2, 2009, 08:23 PM
Im doing the equitation!!! Waiting to find out if my friends made it in for junior hunters and junior jumpers! fingers crossed

superpony123
Apr. 2, 2009, 09:45 PM
We are waiting to see if dd qualified for pony jumpers. It will be her first time ever! Keep you fingers crossed!

as far as i remember, anyone who enters for PJ's qualifies. i forget why. i think they have a certain number of entries that theyll accept though, so i guess thats what youre talking about. but you dont need points to qualify, unless thats changed

superpony123
Apr. 2, 2009, 09:46 PM

OMG i love that pony ! i see him all the time at shows, hes so fun to watch. great jumper. i think you have to be within like 40 miles of the show grounds for locals, or something like that, check the prizelist

bascher
Apr. 3, 2009, 12:06 AM
Last year they were tiny, and there weren't that many of them if I remember correctly (the ring seemed kind of empty). The year before they were bigger - I think some of the oxers were 3'3", but the verticals seemed like 3'. Some of the hunt teams are pretty scary to watch. The same thing happens in the locals - one year they're 3' - 3'3", the next year they're 3' at most.

Definitely agree about locals...you never know what height you're going to get:D Sometimes they look pretty little and other years they are solid 3'3".

Show Hunter
Apr. 3, 2009, 08:36 AM
Fingers crossed for REH and Show Hunter.

Great article in COTH Show Hunter. Congratulations on your circuit championship!!

Thanks so much E & E's Mom!! We were totally thrilled :) Hope you have been well - and hope to see you at Devon again this year!

CenterStage123
Apr. 3, 2009, 04:05 PM
In the przielist, where it says judged based on suitabliity for a field hunter.. or something like that, is it just judged that same as regular hunter classes? Or are they looking for something different?

llsc
Apr. 3, 2009, 04:47 PM
I'm taking my yearling pony filly, Bewitching, on Thursday and my daughter Francesca will be showing in the older section of the leadline on Saturday.