PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have ideas for kid's training reins, not rainbow?PICS post 20

Ready2Ride
Apr. 1, 2009, 04:19 PM
So, I don't love the kids rainbow reins because I don't like how thick the rubber is for little hands and how obnoxious the bright colors tend to look, but I'm about to break down and buy a pair for my kiddos. But I was wondering before I do if anyone can come up with an alternative idea, or if anyone has already seen or used something else that works to help them keep their reins even and on a correct length.
I do have extra sets of old regular reins that I could use and destroy if needed to make something.
I was thinking maybe put colored rubberbands every so often up the rein, but figured they could move around. I know vetwrap tends to get sticky and gummy, so that prob. won't work. Electical tape may be slippery? Do they make any other kinds of kids reins that would work? I have seen the pastel kind of rainbow reins and appreciate that the colors aren't as bright, but I don't think my son will be too excited to use them. lol.
my favorite reins that I use are the ones that are rubber only on the inside and plain leather on the outside which I love, but with no laces or anything it's hard for the kids to keep them even. I wish I could find those exact reins with the rubber in different colors, that way they are thin between the fingers yet grippy, and have the color, but not on the outside of the rein to look silly. Why don't they make those???

Anyone have any creative ideas before I buy the rainbow reins?

Highflyer
Apr. 1, 2009, 04:22 PM
Maybe just mark them with colored electrical tape? Or get white rubber ones and mark them with permanent markers on the inside?

Spud&Saf
Apr. 1, 2009, 04:40 PM
Like the rubber bands idea, what if you used the really small multi coloured ponytail ones - the ones that are sort of toddler sized?

What if you hot glue gunned small bands of different coloured felt or ribbon or something to the reins at evenly spaced intervals?

I suppose you could even tie different coloured shoe laces at different points to achieve the same effect, obviously you would have to cut off the ends.

Either way, you could just use the bands of color as reference - like hands right behind blue, or between blue and yellow, that kind of thing.

onwego
Apr. 1, 2009, 05:28 PM
There are cotten/web rainbow reins on ebay. I have always just put a rubber band or even taken a rubber rein stop and put it where I want somebody to hold their reins.

Hunter/JumperMom
Apr. 1, 2009, 06:00 PM
wow - never thought of this! I was always taught by feel. I can remember being little and riding and it was all about the mouth, not to tight, not to loose, etc! In those early years, markers on the reigns would probably have helped!

Also if you have laced reigns, just weave colored yarn though them to where you want the littles to hold. That way your not ruining them.

AGRHJRider
Apr. 1, 2009, 07:23 PM
For my kids who have a problem holding the reins i always put a little bit of bright green duct tape where i want their hands, then their job is to make it so i can't see the tape... its kind of a fun game and the tape comes off easily
:)

superpony123
Apr. 1, 2009, 07:48 PM
dont buy rubber reins--they will be too big for comfort on a kids hands. i am 17, but i'm 5' and 100 lbs. i'm tiny. my hands are tiny. my friends like to joke and say i have "baby hands" .. which i do in comparison to them. i know that whenever ive ridden with rubber reins, its been seriously uncomfortable for me. now try thinking about how a much younger kid would feel with them!

anyway, ive seen thin braided reins and also i think webbed reins might be a good idea. they've got some give, so its nice for if the kid pulls on the pony's mouth a little too hard, because atleast there's *some* slack to it. however, i think it'd be harder to really learn by feel if you weren't using leather reins (which is how i learned and how most people probably do--think about it, just because one length of rein is generally correct for whatever activity, it isnt always going to be like that for every horse and every time.). i suggest you find a thin pair of leather reins, and let them learn by feel.

Hunter Mom
Apr. 1, 2009, 08:36 PM
DD has rainbow reins on one bridle, which does help. Hers are pastel - she loved the colors as much as anything. If you get the pony size, they're smaller - she has my itty bitty hands, and doesn't have any trouble. they also don't stay as bright if you don't clean them :)

That said, I think they have helped her a ton with knowing where her reins are. Our trainer tells her to go into the pink zone or green zone or whatever depending on what she's doing. Tonight, she rode without them and it was clear they've made a huge difference.

I also like the idea of tying little pieces of ribbon into the laces. I may put some on the reins of her pony's other bridle.

In the Air
Apr. 1, 2009, 08:40 PM
I bought a pair of the cotton/web reins for my daughter in the rainbow colors. They are great. Pony size, they are narrow and soft.

caradino
Apr. 2, 2009, 09:12 AM
get yourself some web reins with rubber thread woven in, the kind with leather 'stops' every so often. they're thin, flexible, and comfortable. if you want colors on them, just wrap each 'stop' in colored tape.

Ready2Ride
Apr. 2, 2009, 09:54 AM
get yourself some web reins with rubber thread woven in, the kind with leather 'stops' every so often. they're thin, flexible, and comfortable. if you want colors on them, just wrap each 'stop' in colored tape.

THAT is what I'm going to do! Thank you very much! Yes, problem solved. I will let you all know how they do after I get them and start using them. If for whatever reason that doesn't work, I found a pair of old plaited reins that I have that I was thinking would be really easy to take embroidery floss and a big needle and sew in some different colors every so often.
Another problem is that my kids and I all ride 2 of our horses, usually I get on and school them a little and then I'll put the kids on. (8 & 5 year olds) So yeah, we use the same bridles and saddles, and I really don't want to be stuck riding in reins that I hate! and really, if I hate them, I think the kids will too because they have smaller hands than me. Although I am really tiny. the 11 year olds at my barn are bigger than me! ;)

sarcam02
Apr. 2, 2009, 10:00 AM
"blue" or electrical tape or knots. Works great

passtime
Apr. 2, 2009, 10:06 AM
Try the Mailer Bridging Reins. They have a pimple grip and are adjustable. Since you use the same tack for everyone, you can adjust to each riders needs in about 60 seconds. Link below.

http://www.horsetackreview.com/article-display/1639.html

George01
May. 13, 2009, 12:39 PM
Can someone explain the bridging reins to me? Do you have the kids hold the reins between the bridge and the bit or between the bridge and the buckle? On the Dover site it shows the latter option but on the Mailer site, it's not as clear.

Thanks

CS
May. 13, 2009, 12:52 PM
For a braided or laced rein - thread in different colors of yarn and knot it into place at varying intervals -
Pick colors that will blend in best with the pony
bay's ->dark colors work well - dark blue/dark green/dark maroon etc..
Gray's - use light colors white/pale pink/light grey

Colors will get dirty and fade very quickly.. from a distance you can't see the yarn.

For kids that tend to grab and go to short reins- I put a red piece of yarn on the rein as a "stop" sign.

virtus02
May. 18, 2009, 10:42 PM
These are reins that I use and love, they are typically used by dressage riders but I use them on my jumper. I don't know of any kids that use them but I have small hands and find them very easy to hold because they are thin and have leather hand stops so they don't slip. They are a great alternative to rubber reins because they are thin and easy to keep your place! Hope this helps! http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-03044

HenryisBlaisin'
May. 18, 2009, 11:35 PM
You can number the sections of a pair of lighter brown web reins with a black Sharpie, and say "Hold your reins at 1, shorten your reins to 3, etc." if the child needs a visual. It doesn't show from a distance.

MR
May. 19, 2009, 01:18 AM
I have a tendency to "slip" the reins and all of a sudden they'll be long. *shrug* (doesn't help that my gelding likes to "take" the reins slowly away from me and get strung out!)

I decided about a month ago that I needed to start working on it seriously. I needed something visual, so I used thread to sew in at 3 intervals. I have normal leather braided reins. I used a lime green thread where my hands usually needed to be, a white further back towards the buckle, and a red further towards the bit. You couldn't see the red at all if you weren't directly above it on the horse. The green was noticeable if you looked, the white was more obvious.

Once I'd ridden with them for a couple weeks, I removed the red and white (since I keep my reins near the green most of the time anyhow). My trainer couldn't even tell.

I'll probably remove the green soon, although it's a good reference for me, no one else knows when I'm schooling, and it's hidden under my hands, anyhow.

It was RALLY easy - I just used a normal sewing needle and sewing thread. I strung the thread through the hole that's made in the middle of the braid, and looped it in both directions a couple times. made a knot on the "off" side, and cut the thread. Only took a couple minutes to do the whole set.

nlk
May. 19, 2009, 08:26 AM
easy and cheap for the little ones.....tie a knot in each side and have them hold under the knot, so the knots on top of the thumb.

you can take them out when the kids are done

Ready2Ride
May. 19, 2009, 06:14 PM
ooh, thanks for pulling this back up! I made some and we both love them! I just sewed different colored embroidery floss on an old pair of laced reins and it works great because she can see it, but it really is hard for other people to see that it's on the reins when she's riding. Like it doesn't look bright and tacky from across the arena. here's a pic I took at pony club yesterday that shows the reins: http://xs139.xs.to/xs139/09212/pony_club_018_-_copy671.jpg

and a pic showing that you can't really see it when she's riding. (not that her mane isn't in the way anyways. lol)

http://xs139.xs.to/xs139/09212/pony_club_043_-_copy532.jpg

I think they are really helping her too! Thanks for all the ideas.

Maya01
May. 19, 2009, 09:12 PM
Electrical tape works. You can do it in multiple colours and it is cheap and easy and not so obnoxious :D

Ready2Ride
May. 20, 2009, 11:45 AM
I just had another idea that I'm going to try out! Her pony club leader was saying that the "go button" is right under her feet and she needs to really stretch down her heels to hit the "go button" to make her pony go. It completely clicked and she started riding with her heels really down finally. (Something I'm ALWAYS working on with her, with little luck) I couldn't believe how much it worked. so my new idea is that I'm going to buy some of those bright circle stickers that you would use like for garage sale price stickers or whatever and put one on each side of her pony's barrel, right under where her heel should go, so that if her leg comes forward or her heel goes up, I'll be able to see the bright sticker and tell her to put her leg and heel back where it should be. I really hope this works! I'll update after I try it Anyone else have any other training tricks I should try? We've done the sit a buck and the egg and spoon, I also need to buy some little cones to help her with her circle shape and size, she's used them before and they really help.

CDNJumperGirl
May. 20, 2009, 08:53 PM
Anyone else have any other training tricks I should try? We've done the sit a buck and the egg and spoon, I also need to buy some little cones to help her with her circle shape and size, she's used them before and they really help.

Have her hold a lungeline with her inside hand while you stand at the center of the circle, let her trot around you and feel when she lets the lunge line go slack (cutting in) and when she tuggs on it (falling out). Even riding upperlevel dressage horses my coach would pull this trick out if I started being lax about circle boundarys. Really works!

Ready2Ride
May. 21, 2009, 09:24 AM
wow- I never would have thought about that, but I can see how it would really work! Thank you. What a great idea, I know that will really help her as her circles aren't round at all yet. She is wanting to go to a pony club dressage rally a month from today and the circles are what I'm most worried about at this point, so I will try this right away. Thank you very much.

CDNJumperGirl
May. 21, 2009, 10:11 AM
wow- I never would have thought about that, but I can see how it would really work! Thank you. What a great idea, I know that will really help her as her circles aren't round at all yet. She is wanting to go to a pony club dressage rally a month from today and the circles are what I'm most worried about at this point, so I will try this right away. Thank you very much.

Its amazing how well it works! Just be careful not to tug her off her adorable pony. Also, practice having her drop the lunge from her had a couple of times that way if things get hairy (no pun intended, sadly ;) ) she can free herself and the pony from the lunge line.