PDA

View Full Version : Who are considered the Top Trainers?

ACS
Apr. 1, 2009, 03:27 PM
I know I might get heated for posting this - but, I'm a risk taker... so here it goes! :lol:

What trainers are considered to be the top 25 trainers in the US? Yes, I know there might be many different opinions regarding this; but, I am talking about most trained rider championships, etc.

I don't want anyone to get into any fights or debates - I just want to hear your opinions. Please don't pass any judgments on one another - we are here to have fun!

TIA!

SaturdayNightLive
Apr. 1, 2009, 03:36 PM
Best trainers in what area? Equitation? Jumpers? Hunters? Different trainers have different specialties.

ACS
Apr. 1, 2009, 03:54 PM
Best trainers in what area? Equitation? Jumpers? Hunters? Different trainers have different specialties.

All three.

BLBGP
Apr. 1, 2009, 04:04 PM
Best at training horses or riders or both?

used2
Apr. 1, 2009, 04:39 PM
Karen Healey, Missy Clark...

Beau Cheval
Apr. 1, 2009, 05:36 PM
Frank Madden, Stacia Madden (+Co, Max Amaya etc.), Andre Dignelli, Missy Clark, Emil Spadone, Wendy and Ezequiel Peralta, Nona Garson, Chris Kappler, The Towells,

ACS
Apr. 1, 2009, 05:39 PM
Best at training horses or riders or both?

Training riders. I did specify in my original post that I was referring to top trainers with the most won rider championships.

monalisa
Apr. 1, 2009, 05:41 PM
I think it totally depends on what you want.

There are certain trainers that I would use if I wanted to ride the jumpers, a totally different set for the hunters, equitation, junior hunters, ponies, and then there are those that are great starting young horses.

I think Peter Pletcher and Scott Stewart are two of the very best - they have top horses in the hunters.

Sebastian
Apr. 1, 2009, 09:27 PM
Mike Henaghan will always be the BEST in my book--in all disciplines. If you ever have the opportunity to clinic... :yes:

Seb :)

Gwendolyn
Apr. 1, 2009, 09:42 PM
Can't believe I'm the first one to say this....GM!

CaliforniaSyndrome
Apr. 1, 2009, 09:46 PM
yes

SaturdayNightLive
Apr. 1, 2009, 10:04 PM
I think that some of the the most prolific equitation trainers have been George Morris (duh), Andre Dignelli, Frank Madden, Stacia Madden, Missy Clark, Karen Healy, Nick Karassissi, etc...

superpony123
Apr. 1, 2009, 10:47 PM
GM (god), bill schaub, missy clark, kevin babbington (a personal favourite, as ive done a clinic with him, but hes still big time), the maddens, emil spadone

SmileItLooksGoodOnYou
Apr. 2, 2009, 04:35 AM
GREG BEST.

Rio Blanco
Apr. 2, 2009, 10:07 AM
Emil Spadone

Missy Clark

Andrea Dignelli (sorry, I can't spell!)

sweetpea
Apr. 2, 2009, 10:42 AM
Polly Howard

findeight
Apr. 2, 2009, 11:09 AM
GREG BEST.

Er, great horseman but who is he training that's winning big on a national or International level?

On board with GM (although not as active these days outside of clinics), Frank and Stacia, Missy Clark, Andre Dignalli as they have sent more Big Eq winners out then anybody as well as sent them along to International levels and coaching from International level riders.

There are others that are more regional and not known to all...that does not mean they are not good or have not had Medal finalists or clients who went on to International competition.

Hauwse
Apr. 2, 2009, 11:13 AM
There are great trainers everywhere that do not have the notoriety of some that campaign a lot.

If we are talking those who have the big name, I would have to say GM, Greg Best, Joe Fargis, Frank Chapot, Anne Kursinski. You cannot beat the old school trainers, they know things about horses, and training that most of the modern trainers won't learn for years or may never learn.

If we were talking best trainers period it would be pointless because you would not have heard of 99% of them.

pottersvillegracie
Apr. 2, 2009, 12:42 PM
Victor Hugo Vidal, Francis Rowe, Ronnie Mutch, Jimmy Williams,

SaturdayNightLive
Apr. 2, 2009, 12:50 PM
Victor Hugo Vidal, Francis Rowe, Ronnie Mutch, Jimmy Williams,

Okay, at least two of those people are dead.

findeight
Apr. 2, 2009, 12:53 PM
Yeah, thought OP meant currently training riders for the EQ medals and National competition.

If we can do the dead ones, we could come up with alot more big names.

Where is Greg Best training out of, his name is up twice now? Can't be the only one who has not seen him at the shows?

BAC
Apr. 2, 2009, 01:45 PM
Okay, at least two of those people are dead.

Sadly, they all are.

SaturdayNightLive
Apr. 2, 2009, 04:20 PM
Where is Greg Best training out of, his name is up twice now? Can't be the only one who has not seen him at the shows?

Actually, I'm pretty sure his barn is in New Zealand...

BAC
Apr. 2, 2009, 04:24 PM
Actually, I'm pretty sure his barn is in New Zealand...

He has been there for years but the posts made it sound as though he is back in the US. Not aware he has had any major eq winners though.

Roxy SM
Apr. 3, 2009, 10:55 AM
There are great trainers everywhere that do not have the notoriety of some that campaign a lot.

If we are talking those who have the big name, I would have to say GM, Greg Best, Joe Fargis, Frank Chapot, Anne Kursinski. You cannot beat the old school trainers, they know things about horses, and training that most of the modern trainers won't learn for years or may never learn.

If we were talking best trainers period it would be pointless because you would not have heard of 99% of them.

I agree!

Jesse'sMom
Apr. 3, 2009, 11:01 AM
not best of all time the above pretty much sum it up .
but also to add for east coast...
carol thompson, leo conroy, christina schlusmeyer

chawley
Apr. 3, 2009, 11:56 AM
I'd have to add Tom Wright to the list.

used2
Apr. 3, 2009, 01:42 PM
Ok I'm kinda new. Who are Polly Howard and Tom Wright? Up and comers or been there done that.

chawley
Apr. 3, 2009, 01:50 PM
Ok I'm kinda new. Who are Polly Howard and Tom Wright? Up and comers or been there done that.

Polly Howard is the head trainer for Fox Meadow Farm in Temperance, Michigan. She's been successful for years. Tom is the private trainer for the Linders and is based in Cincy and Wellington. He's been around a long time and trained the famous Strapless, among other great hunters.

threehearts
Apr. 3, 2009, 07:12 PM
coming from out on LI I think Marty and Debby deLeyer, James Benedetto, The Toppings and now Frank Madden:winkgrin:
Its just my opinion:D

Sebastian
Apr. 3, 2009, 07:26 PM
He has been there for years but the posts made it sound as though he is back in the US. Not aware he has had any major eq winners though.

Greg Best does a lot of clinics throughout the US. He's VERY good, for all disciplines.

juniormom
Apr. 3, 2009, 08:34 PM
Don Stewart, Judy Young - depends on what you are looking for............

By George!
Apr. 3, 2009, 08:36 PM
Don Stewart, Louise Serio, Geoff Teall

Tha Ridge
Apr. 4, 2009, 08:00 PM
Greg Best does a lot of clinics throughout the US. He's VERY good, for all disciplines.

Very subjective. I would disagree.

iridehorses
Apr. 4, 2009, 10:05 PM
some of the top trainers i can think of right now-sorta blanked, would be:
andre dignelli, patricia griffith, frank madden, stacia madden, don stewart, bill schaub, those are just the big big names i can think of, theres sooo many!

eqgirl228
Apr. 5, 2009, 06:47 PM
i think its funny no one has said Diane Carney who IMO is one of the top trainers here, you cant beat her hard coreness (if thats a word) and can do both the old school style and the modern

La Gringa
Apr. 5, 2009, 06:52 PM
Jimmy Williams

Still living..

John French, Karen Healey, Joe Fargis, Anne Kursinski, Hap Hansen, Tommy Serio, Frank Madden

Not all do all diciplines at top level however... just some of the best out there for H/J/E in general.