PDA

View Full Version : leg slides back when jumping.

dr0009000
Mar. 31, 2009, 11:54 PM
So my leg keeps sliding back when jumping, its usually in place for flat work but everytime I jump, I loose my leg.
I've tried riding without stirrups and worked on two point a lot to try to strenghten my leg position but nothing seems to work.

any tips, recommendations or words of advice????

thanks for your help.

Seven-up
Mar. 31, 2009, 11:57 PM
Push your lower leg forward over the jump. It will feel crazy, but it works. It will feel like you're shoving your leg out in front of you, but since your leg comes back, you'll be pushing it where it's supposed to be.

Trixie's mom
Apr. 1, 2009, 06:52 AM
assuming your saddle isn't adding to the problem, i agree with the above poster...push your legs forward to the girth...say to yourself, "legs at the girth, legs at the girth..."

Addison
Apr. 1, 2009, 07:44 AM
It sounds as though you are pinching with your knee rather than distributing your wieght throughout your leg. The best fix? Drop your irons, every day , and strengthen your leg. Also, make sure you are not playing "catch up" and throwing your body forward in the air over the jump.

Sudi's Girl
Apr. 1, 2009, 10:43 AM
While it could very well be YOU, try riding in another saddle too. I was in your very position and doing absolutely EVERYTHING I could think of to fix the problem, and nothing was working.

Then...it dawned on me to try another saddle, and VIOLA! Turns out, I actually could ride, and my saddle was really working against me. I never knew saddles could vary in their balance so much. It's at least worth looking into... :)

Czar
Apr. 1, 2009, 11:18 AM
Ditto the above poster...with a good jumping horse, a set of thigh blocks can go a long way.

I ride in a Crosby Centennial and while I do love the saddle...my leg stays in place much better when I ride in my sister's Childeruc over fences.

JB
Apr. 1, 2009, 11:27 AM
If you can safely do it, drop your reins through a small grid. If your leg swings back, you will fall forward without your hands to catch you. Fixes that in a hurry ;)

jen-s
Apr. 1, 2009, 12:10 PM
Ditto on saddle fit. I'm fighting against the one I usually ride in, but it's the only saddle on the farm that fits my Appendix and he loves it.

But one other thing to consider (and I just had this epiphany myself a few days ago) is stirrup length. I'm short and very top heavy. I'm riding a 16h Appendix who is round except where your lower leg goes (there's nothing there--even my trainer noticed when she rode him). When I ride him in my regular stirrup length, to put my leg on, I had to push it back some, which pitched me forward and that sent my leg even farther back. I dropped my stirrups a hole and all of a sudden, I can wrap my leg around and have a base of support. Does it feel like my stirrups are a bit long over fences, yes, but I'm a heck of a lot more secure than I was.

ohsareee
Apr. 1, 2009, 12:17 PM
I had the same issue, try doing some jumps bareback, helped me out a ton. Also you could be jumping ahead and/or pinching with your knee which throws off your entire base of support(heel, toe, stirrup, lower leg) so when it is weak, it just pushes on the stirrup bar and slides out behind. Have you ever watched a video of yourself ride? Or pictures?

shawneeAcres
Apr. 1, 2009, 01:43 PM
I would make sure your stirrup length is correct, sometimes if stirrups are too long this is waht happens. Second I would try riding in a few saddles. Third, what is your body conformation like, are you short legged/longer torso? If so that tends to be common in that body build and working more without REINS not STIRRUPS is a better "fix" for that, it is a balance issue basically.

IsolaBella09
Apr. 1, 2009, 01:46 PM
Stepping deep into my heel before the fence and legging off the ground helps me a lot.

medical mike
Apr. 1, 2009, 07:22 PM
Your problem can have several causes.
A set of pics (esp.in series) will help determine cause.

REgards,
Medical mike
equestrian medical researcher
www.fitfocusedforward.us
soon to be equicision.com

snaffle635
Apr. 1, 2009, 08:42 PM
I have the same problem. My trainers recently suggested tying my stirrups to my girth so I physically cannot move my leg back. We used stirrup leathers, but I've seen people use baling twine as well. Obviously you want something that can break in an emergency.

I tried it on the flat this week. It felt WEIRD, but my leg was finally in the right place. Now it's going to take a lot of practice to get used to it and keep it there.

My trainers do not recommend riding without stirrups for this particular issue, since that will encourage you to continue pinching with your knee.

Apr. 1, 2009, 08:57 PM
I would take the reins away and not the stirrups. I personally know alot of people, including myself, that pinch worse with their knee when their stirrups get taken away. Taking the reins away, I have seen, has the opposite affect I have seen with taking the stirrups away, instead of pinching with your leg you drop weight down it and wrap it around your horse because its the only thing holding you on.

Also if you are longer/heavier in the torso, especially the upper torso (I lift weights and am male), like I am, it will keep you from throwing your heavier upper body forward and pinching with your knee because if you do that w/o reins, which I feel become your balance point along with your horses neck when you pinch, you will become unseated fast. It makes you learn to rebalance your weight and has helped me alot.

Good luck!

brightwhitestockings
Apr. 1, 2009, 09:13 PM
i agree with riding without hands, as others have said-
it sounds crazy but without your hands and upper body to lean on your seat and legs improve dramatically while riding. I used to jump ahead really bad, until my trainer put me on a lunge line and took my reins away- made me realize how much i depended on my upper body for balance! not good. :no: but now obviously i don't do that anymore. ;) Also if your horse is good, jumping without hands helps a lot too. And def. check your saddle, as others have said. good luck! ;)

Filly85'
Apr. 1, 2009, 09:22 PM
Sorry if this is repetitive, but it could be your saddle if you have tried other things. I had the same problem for a long time until I changed saddles. My lower leg doesn't move over the fence with my current saddle.

Make sure that you can walk, trot (including posting as well), canter, and do pole work well without stirrups. If you're not doing these exercises well, then you may not have developed your lower leg completely yet. If you can do these things well, then ignore this statement and try a different saddle.

CaliforniaSyndrome
Apr. 1, 2009, 09:50 PM
Focus on getting/keeping your hip angle back over the fence. This will naturally move your lower leg forward. No stirrup work only strengthns your leg if you do it properly. Make sure you aren't supporting yourself, or squeezing with your knee.

AppendixQHLover
Apr. 1, 2009, 10:03 PM
I did that a lot also until my stirrups got upped dramatically, and we did many gymnastic exercises. My trainer also made me ride without stirrups, and trotting in two point. Let me tell you there is NO pain in the world like riding in two point for 20 minutes. I wanted to cry uncle.

I am going to get a new saddle which should help me with perching. I ride in my dressage saddle to *fix* my posture.

Addison
Apr. 2, 2009, 07:20 AM
The theory behind dropping your irons is to build strength and to learn how to distribute contact through out your entire leg. A strong leg is not going to pinch for security and act like a pivot over fences.

George Morris and Frank Madden (among others) have written numerous articles in various magazines/books which examine this problem in detail.

There have been some great suggestions given here including checking for saddle fit and length of irons.

gg4918
Apr. 2, 2009, 08:33 AM
LOTS of work without irons. Try to drop your irons for at least 10-15 minutes everytime you get on. This will strengthen your leg.
Jump without irons, you dont have a stirrup leather to pivot on. This will give you the feeling of where your leg is supposed to be in the air and you can strive to attain that when you pick up your irons.

Lou-Lou
Apr. 2, 2009, 09:40 AM
Perhaps you aren't gripping properly, although your legs are strong. I know I do this, and all it takes is my trainer calling it to my attention, and I can fix it. Sometimes all it takes is a set of educated eyes on the ground. :)