View Full Version : Another name thread...humor me please?

Mar. 31, 2009, 11:30 PM
I know I normally skip over naming threads (probably b/c I'm so bad at names...which is why I'm asking for help) but I'd love it if you'd help me name my mare.

Some stats:
Barn name: Willow
Height: 15'3-16'
Color: Chestnut, one small hind sock, itty bitty star

Some background:
I've ridden this mare on and off for a couple years now. I worked with her two summers ago- rode her every day, showed her a couple times, got her to the point where she was jumping 3' comfortably with changes, etc. Owners took her back in order to "sell" her (AKA stuck her ad online and turned her out). The people who own her are very nice and love her to death, but they didn't actively try to sell her, so she basically just ate all day and lost her muscle, which was sad b/c she's really talented.

Anyway, my trainer has brought her to our barn to show her for sale a couple times over the last year and a half, but no dice. I've ridden her when she's been at the barn and while she's very out of shape, she has surprisingly (happily so) remembered almost everything she learned that summer.

Her owners are trying to sell her again, so they had me take her. I'm going to ride her til the end of school and over the summer (at least). I really like this mare, she's smart, athletic, sweet...so I'm really looking forward to working with her.

Anyway, since I'm hoping to show her this summer, I need a show name! I'd like something that corresponds to Willow though I'm not a fan of the names like Weeping Willow, Willow Tree, etc. It could be something like the word willow in another language, a certain type of willow tree that has a cool-sounding name...just something like that.

Mar. 31, 2009, 11:37 PM

Apr. 1, 2009, 01:52 AM

Mach Two
Apr. 1, 2009, 02:12 AM
Woopahhoo (the whipporwill's call)
Turn A New Leaf

Apr. 1, 2009, 02:55 AM
The name Shelby means willow in latin?

Looked it up on the internet.

Apr. 1, 2009, 03:01 AM

Apr. 1, 2009, 03:46 AM
Where there's a will

Wilco (means Yes/"Will do" in pilot-speak)

River's Edge (Where you find Willows)

Apr. 1, 2009, 06:50 AM
Will'o the Wisp

Apr. 1, 2009, 09:09 AM
I like Willoughby. Nice name for a hunter.

Apr. 1, 2009, 09:09 AM
Will'o the Wisp

I like this one!

Apr. 1, 2009, 11:02 AM
How about Willing or Willingly? Salice is willow in Italian.

Apr. 1, 2009, 02:22 PM
Read 'Em And Weep

Apr. 1, 2009, 04:49 PM
thanks for all the good ideas! I like quite a few that have come up. Keep them coming, if you would :lol:

Apr. 1, 2009, 04:53 PM
I really like the name Salice. And Shelby. Willoughby reminds me of one of the cities I show in :lol:

Apr. 1, 2009, 09:16 PM
I like Salice...I don't know how announcers will handle it though.

Now entering the ring, worth_the_wait riding Sah-leece

Maybe I could write sah-lee-chay on the entry form :lol: