PDA

View Full Version : Can you legally show a mule?

spmoonie
Mar. 31, 2009, 11:11 PM
This is a very silly question, but I am must admit I dont know the answer...:sadsmile:
Is it legal to show a mule at a USEF rated show? Im guessing the answer is No, but just looking for clarification.
I just watched a youtube video of a mule that jumps just as well as some A circuit hunters! It made me really want a mule! :D

ExJumper
Mar. 31, 2009, 11:27 PM
Nope!

I know this because 30 or so years ago, my trainer had a friend who showed her mule and it kicked ass! It was an amazing jumper. I wish I had the picture to show -- textbook form with HUGE ears.

Anyway, she started to win and people complained and she wasn't allowed to show any more. :no:

There actually is a definition somewhere in the USEF rulebook about "horse or pony" and it excludes mules.

Hunter Mom
Mar. 31, 2009, 11:34 PM
We had one show at a local show or two. He, uh, kicked a$$!

JenEM
Mar. 31, 2009, 11:42 PM
Well, there didn't seem to be anything specific in the Hunter rules, but the General rules state:

GR125 Horse.
1. The term “horse” as used in these rules denotes either a horse or pony.
2. In all levels of all Federation licensed Driving and Endurance Competitions and in the
case of any other Federation Rule as it relates to the Driving or Endurance disciplines as
the context permits it, the term “horse” shall also include a mule. See DC103.7.1, EN102.1.
a. Mules are also eligible to compete in dressage classes with the exception of
(1) USEF Championships, USEF qualifying and selection trials, and observation
classes,
(2) any other classes designated as qualifying or selection classes for international
or international high performance competition, and
(3) championships where such participation is prohibited in the championship
selection procedures. See DR119.1.

That would seem to imply that they can be used in driving, endurance, and some dressage competitions, but not for anything else.

AGRHJRider
Apr. 1, 2009, 12:21 AM
Aw shucks!
I wont name any names but i worked for a horrible farm owner in the past and always thought it would be funny to show a mule or a donkey and name his show name after previous Barn Owner...
lol, living well is truly the best revenge but the thought of doing that tickled me...

mrsbradbury
Apr. 1, 2009, 12:41 AM
I just wanted to share... (I know you have the answer.) I considered purchasing a pair of lovely dun drafty mules for my lesson program. They were actually pretty good movers and real steady eddys. I ultimately chose to pass since we couldn't take them anywhere at the end of the day.

Too bad... I still think they're cute.

Kenike
Apr. 1, 2009, 01:01 AM
Hmmm...I wonder how'd they'd be as schoolies.....Might not be a bad idea in the future to have one or two! :winkgrin:

MR
Apr. 1, 2009, 01:31 AM
Mules are awesome - and can be great school animals! :)

In college, I rode at a barn where the trainer had both horses and mules. She did primarily english, western, in dressage. He best mule, a tall black/white spotted appy mule, went GrandPrix-level dressage! I taught him to jump and had him going 3' within a few months. He was awesome - could jump anything, from anywhere!

There is a whole mule circuit - look up "Bishop Mule Days". Locally, we've had some mules used in the IHSA shows (great draws - but you need to "make friends" first! - they're VERY smart) and they show up at schooling shows sometimes. I've seen pictures of people taking mules out on fox hunts, too.

I miss the mules!!! - but love my horsie, nonetheless :)

chunky munky
Apr. 1, 2009, 10:48 AM
No. It is a horse show, not a mule show. They have their own competitions. I also am aware that many if not most hunts prohibit hunting mules.

Dinah-do
Apr. 1, 2009, 11:32 AM
At Spruce Meadows Team Mule won Battle of the breeds. I think I read that there was a team member that had a Ec Canada passport. Shows in the jumpers.

bwf
Apr. 1, 2009, 11:46 AM
We had one show at the Virginia Beach shows when I was a kid. Her name was Pearl and she would win the pleasure divisions ALL the time. She was very pretty and a good mover. The horses would often be nervous around her....that helped her win as well;0

ayeayeaye
Apr. 1, 2009, 01:10 PM
there was one that used to show at the chester county shows, shannondell specifically, in the pleasure horse. he was adorable and I think his name was kick ass jack or something like that which always cracked me up.

Mara
Apr. 1, 2009, 01:32 PM
Mules are cool, and they will give the Arabians some stiff competition in endurance.
They do have their own circuit. There are "mulemanship" classes - for some reason I love the word "mulemanship"!:lol:

Portia
Apr. 1, 2009, 02:47 PM
As shown above the USEF changed the definition of "horse" a few years ago to make clear that mules could be shown in driving and endurance, and some dressage.

It was really the driving people who pushed the rule change, as there are some excellent driving mules. They wanted to make it an overall rule change for all disciplines. I can't recall why H/J objected.

eclipse
Apr. 1, 2009, 02:51 PM
At Spruce Meadows Team Mule won Battle of the breeds. I think I read that there was a team member that had a Ec Canada passport. Shows in the jumpers.

Yep, I know the one. Lovely chestnut colour with large ears! :lol: It can jump the freaking moon, and in good style, he is super cute. Nobody cares, and the horses don't seem to mind either! :D

pinkme
Apr. 1, 2009, 09:24 PM
There was one that showed up at a schooling show around here.. he freaked out all of the horses, except one girls pony, who lives with a donkey..caused such problems with other people's horses, it was asked to leave.

Paragon
Apr. 1, 2009, 10:08 PM
I can't recall why H/J objected.

Didn't want to lose to a mule? ;)

Couture TB
Apr. 1, 2009, 10:20 PM
I wish they were legal to compete. I would have one in a heartbeat! Boy can those things jump!

Portia
Apr. 1, 2009, 11:29 PM
Didn't want to lose to a mule? ;)
:D :D

Actually, thinking back on it, I think it was one of those things where they pushed for it in the driving, then endurance and dressage said "hey, we don't care, we'll take mules too," and nobody brought it up with the H/J people. Such is the way rules get changed at USEF. ;)

Wanderluster
Apr. 2, 2009, 12:44 AM
To legally show a mule you must have
A license from the DMV and proof of insurance
Approval from the FDA
A recommendation from the local city chamber of commerce
Permits authorized by FIMA, HUD, ... and your parents permission. :lol:
I judged the Bishop Mule Days twice and pinned some very large classes of over 24 in the undersaddle/pleasure ? classes. There were some really nice mules :D I was relieved to see that my choices were getting similar results at other shows- as a judge was given membership to the "mule society?" sorry my don't remember the actual name.
The jumping was fairly erratic, it likely didn't help that they held races during the show. I might be in the middle of judging a class when the anouncement came that the next race was about to begin.
I have never seen anything like it before or since. I give so much credit for the people that ride mules. It is not for the average person but I had a really fun time getting to meet the real "mule skinners".

SCMJ
Apr. 2, 2009, 01:10 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJFMSrsjsa0 look at it!!hehee. cute

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdxWjoN714E some of them move quite cute!! aww. seem so swee too...

Simbalism
Apr. 2, 2009, 03:36 AM
Check out the list of related videos on the first link. Extreme mules was sure interesting.