PDA

View Full Version : What polos will fit a large pony?

FatPalomino
Mar. 31, 2009, 03:59 PM
I use the XL long polos for horses... what works best for a large pony (14 hands, thin build)?? He goes in size small Heidi sportboots. Thanks.

naters
Mar. 31, 2009, 04:00 PM
You can always buy a horse size and then cut to fit....:yes:

BAC
Mar. 31, 2009, 04:02 PM
Dover has VAC's pony polo bandages. Have you tried justforponies.com?

Seven-up
Mar. 31, 2009, 04:03 PM
Pony sized.

I have a 15.3h mare with shorter cannons, and regular sized polos are too big for her.

FatPalomino
Mar. 31, 2009, 04:06 PM
Thanks! I was (well, and still am) too tall for the ponies, but this is a greenie no one else will get on ;) I'll see how the pony ones fit... I wondered if they were designed for the tiny guys. Cutting them would be an option, too!

Pirateer
Mar. 31, 2009, 05:11 PM
Don't buy pony-polos!

They usually fit small/meds- larges I always use horse sized.

(I am a polo-nazi though. If you are less anal about wrapping, you could probably do the pony ones if scrawny legs)

Artie
Mar. 31, 2009, 05:53 PM
My pony polos fit a petite large perfectly, so they should work fine for yours

Jumper6252
Mar. 31, 2009, 07:25 PM
You can always buy a horse size and then cut to fit....:yes:

That's what I've always done

Aubreyyy
Mar. 31, 2009, 07:39 PM
I have used pony polos on my 15.2 QH and they fit perfectly, so I think you're ok with pony polos.

kookicat
Mar. 31, 2009, 07:42 PM
I've always used the horse ones, and trimmed the length. I look for the narrower ones too. :)

Phaxxton
Mar. 31, 2009, 07:56 PM
Don't buy pony-polos!

(I am a polo-nazi though. If you are less anal about wrapping, you could probably do the pony ones if scrawny legs)

ITA. Pony sized polos do NOT fit my Arab (just a hair taller than a large pony)... They are way too small. I can make them work if I have to, but they really look ridiculous. :yes:

I've yet to find a happy medium. I guess I will try cutting down my horse sized wraps or maybe I'll go with a tendon tab to cut down on the excess from the horse wraps...

Phaxxton
Mar. 31, 2009, 08:01 PM
I have used pony polos on my 15.2 QH and they fit perfectly, so I think you're ok with pony polos.

Can I ask which brand you buy? The pony sized ones for the brand I like (starts with a C, name escaping me at the moment) are really small. They would be okay for smalls and mediums, but are too small for my 14.3h Arab. Maybe I need to expand my horizons and look for a different brand. :)

Aubreyyy
Mar. 31, 2009, 08:10 PM
Can I ask which brand you buy? The pony sized ones for the brand I like (starts with a C, name escaping me at the moment) are really small. They would be okay for smalls and mediums, but are too small for my 14.3h Arab. Maybe I need to expand my horizons and look for a different brand. :)

Toklat. Very cushy and great!

(as for yours, are you thinking Champion?)

theroanypony
Apr. 1, 2009, 10:29 AM
My pony is a large who has to have everything in pony, including polos. It's nice because everything is so much cheaper when it's smaller.

Sudi's Girl
Apr. 1, 2009, 10:39 AM
Toklat. Very cushy and great!

(as for yours, are you thinking Champion?)

Thanks! My 15.1 Arab doesn't work in any horse or pony polo's I've tried. I was thinking I was going to have to cut my horse polo's down though...I'll try the Toklat's though! :)

GGsuperpony
Apr. 1, 2009, 10:40 AM
Pony size for front legs, horse size for hind legs will almost certainly work. Buy the same brand to get the colors as close as you can.

caradino
Apr. 1, 2009, 11:12 AM
i've always used regular horse size on larges. if they're too long, you can always wrap with a "flap" running down the back of the tendon.

scheibyee
Apr. 1, 2009, 11:29 AM
Don't buy pony-polos!

I second this! I have a large welch pony and he needs horse polos; however, i too am a polo/all wraps in general nazi (need to go around 2-3x, then under the ankle, then around, under the ankle again, then evenly up the leg) so if you're less picky you could probably get away with the pony ones.