PDA

View Full Version : Ariat half chaps

hcw
Mar. 31, 2009, 11:10 AM
After lurking for a while I decided to finally get more involved with this forum. I have just discovered it not too long ago and have learned so much already!

I just bought my first pair of half chaps on the weekend, the Ariat close contact ones. Looking for some opinions on them. I ride a few times a week during the winter and more during the summer, but I am not riding multiple horses everyday. I haven't ridden in them yet, but they fit like a glove and are super comfy already just trying them on!

So, what do you guys think of them? How do they hold up?
TIA!

chawley
Mar. 31, 2009, 11:28 AM
Welcome to the board! I bought a pair last spring and love them! I ride a lot (multiple horses) and they have held up very well. I don't see any reason why I won't get several more years out of them.

I prefer to ride in tall boots, but don't want to use my Vogels for daily use, so I bought these half chaps hoping to capture the feel of tall boots. They definitely give you that feel and they look great too.

EAY
Mar. 31, 2009, 01:06 PM
I really liked the look and feel of my Ariat Close Contacts but they did not hold up well. They fell apart along the inside seam. But I've heard from others who haven't had that problem with them, so I hope you get lots of good use out of yours.

eclipse
Mar. 31, 2009, 01:08 PM
Are these the one that look like tall boots or the ones that are leather, with a suede inside & elastic strip up the back? If the latter ones, stay away. I've had 2 pairs in a year and both have got worn through at the elastic to leave large gaping holes! Totally not worth the money in my opinion.

starkissed
Mar. 31, 2009, 02:54 PM
I have a pair of the all around half chaps..the older ones. They are probably 8years old? At this point they are definitely starting to fall apart but I don't blame them. Having said that, I think the Ariat II all around half chaps are much lower quality, the snap at the bottom seems really flimsy and cheap. And the leather seems like durable.

But I know nothing about the smooth grained ones that look like show boots

Tivas_a_Diva
Mar. 31, 2009, 03:05 PM
Congrats! Are they leather or suede? Take care of them like you would any other piece of equipment that you own, including washing and oiling if necessary. That should help them last a long time.

HCF
Mar. 31, 2009, 04:21 PM
I have a pair of the Ariat Close Contact half chaps that are almost two years old. I ride in them 3-5 days a week don't take care of them as well as I should, but they have held up great. They are in excellent condition - no holes, rips, etc. The only gripe I have is that the zipper on the right one does not stay up. I have to pull it back up 2-3 times during my ride!

dghunter
Mar. 31, 2009, 04:25 PM
Are these the one that look like tall boots or the ones that are leather, with a suede inside & elastic strip up the back? If the latter ones, stay away. I've had 2 pairs in a year and both have got worn through at the elastic to leave large gaping holes! Totally not worth the money in my opinion.

I've had a pair of the ones with the suede and elastic strip for at least two years and they're still holding strong. I love them, wear them everyday. Most days I only ride one horse but some days I'll ride two. They were also fine when I was constantly riding two or three horses a day. I despise wearing my tall boots to ride in so they were a great alternative and I've been very pleased with them.

heygirlhey33
Mar. 31, 2009, 04:27 PM
Welcome to the board. I have to say I love my ariat half chaps. Mine are from about when I started riding (4 years ago) when I moved to showing on the AA circuit i felt they werent fancy enough to school in at home (silly ignorant 13 year old). So I bought grand prix chaps. My grand prix chaps fell apart after a year of use. Since then I've been riding in my good old ariats again. And man they are durable (handle multple rides daily etc. rain, wind snow. you name it) all I can say is I LOVE my chaps (minus the chunky zipper)

chawley
Mar. 31, 2009, 04:40 PM

I believe the new Close Contact only come in all leather. Mine look just like a boot and they are leather all over. No suede, which is why I bought them. I don't like how suede eventually gets slippery.

Pirateer
Mar. 31, 2009, 06:25 PM
As much as I love Ariats, I'm not super pleased with how mine are holding up. I have the All-Arounds and the inside calf part is coming apart at the seems. Granted this is after at least 1.5 years of 7/day, 7 days/week- and another 3 years of normal riding. I just have high standards.

I believe the Close Contact is a smooth out leather- like custom chap material, not like "boots".

neigh.neigh
Mar. 31, 2009, 06:29 PM
I used to use ariat half chaps and they did not hold up AT ALL!
The last pair I bought only lasted a month so I switched to tredstep.
The stitching on the inside started to rip and then the inside piece that goes from top to bottom started to completely come off. I would not suggest them.
I do ride 3+ horses 7 days a week though

JustABay
Mar. 31, 2009, 06:57 PM
Ariats IMO suck.:( They used to be super good, and lasted forever, but after I went through 2 pairs in 2 years, and the 2nd pair stretched out so much I can't even use them, I decided enough was enough. I am now back to riding in my tall boots. I have heard nothing but good about ProChaps though, and when I have the cash, they are the next ones I will buy for sure!

hcw
Mar. 31, 2009, 08:34 PM
Thanks everyone, for the welcomes and the info! The ones I have are all leather but not supposed to look like tall boots. I got the brown ones so that wouldn't work so well! They were on sale so they were a pretty good deal and I plan on taking good care of them so hopefully they will last me a few years.

RW06
Mar. 31, 2009, 08:56 PM
I, too, have the close contact half chaps. After about 2 1/2 years of alternating between them and my tall boots, they already are ripping and have pretty big holes in the elastic panel on the back on the inside. They're very nice, not sure the quality is the best.

Wizard of Oz's
Mar. 31, 2009, 09:39 PM
They hold up well if you take care of them, which I tend not to do. ;) Also, I've learned from my experience with ariat half chaps that the snap at the top will probably break at some point, but that's not too big of a deal, and sometimes they will replace the chaps.

Hunter Princess
Mar. 31, 2009, 11:04 PM
I love mine. I've abused them for over 4 years now, and only just now replaced the zippers, due to a spill breaking off the little bottom zipper section. They've been left out in rainstorms, coated in mud, you name it, they're been through it haha.

Absolute thumbs up for them.

IsolaBella09
Mar. 31, 2009, 11:08 PM
I hate mine. I use them in the winter when it's freezing so that I have my under armour, then britches, and then jeans on. Other than that, they stay in the trunk of my car in case I were to need something or my boot broke. They stretched out too much, dropped significantly in the ankle, and look like crap now. Return them if you can. Love the Tredsteps a lot better. Know a lot of people who love their Tredsteps and have had them for years.

ddashaq
Mar. 31, 2009, 11:51 PM
Mine are 4 years old and have held up really well. My only complaint is that the zipper does not always stay up so i have to put the snap tab through the zipper pull string.

lynz
Apr. 1, 2009, 12:02 AM
I hate mine. I use them in the winter when it's freezing so that I have my under armour, then britches, and then jeans on. Other than that, they stay in the trunk of my car in case I were to need something or my boot broke. They stretched out too much, dropped significantly in the ankle, and look like crap now. Return them if you can. Love the Tredsteps a lot better. Know a lot of people who love their Tredsteps and have had them for years.

I have the EXACT same problem with mine!! I bought mine over a year ago and although they are still in use (from riding 3-6 days/week) they have stretched significantly and dropped waayy too much in the ankle. They stretched so much that I can actually fit my hand in between my leg and the half chap (not what I would expect for paying over $100). I am looking for my next set of half chaps and am contemplating Tredsteps.

lauraware
Apr. 1, 2009, 02:50 AM
i have a pair of ariat half chaps (not the close contact ones, they are cheap, unactractive, tan, meshy-cloth + leather ones), and they REFUSE to break. honestly, I've had them for about three years now (my previous pair of cheapy, off-brand half chaps had only lasted about 9 months), and they just won't break. no holes, the zipper is always extremley smooth, the thread hasn't come undone, nothing. and honestly, they're not that attractive (tan breeches plus light brown half chaps plus black paddock shoes look a little funnny together), so i almost want them to break so i can get some new ones! and usually i'm extremely hard on my things (especially zippers!), and these ones are holding up amazingly! and i think they were like $80 - not too bad for a pair of half chaps.

but anyhow, if your half chaps are anything ilke mine, they'll be indestructable!

Wonders12
Apr. 1, 2009, 05:48 AM
Wow, I'm surprised so many people have had problems with them! I don't have the close contact ones. I think mine are the all-around or something (suede, zipper zips down with buckle by my ankle) and I LOVE mine. I bought them 3 years ago, used once- twice a week for a year and a half. Sat in a box for a year. Then worn 6-7 days per week for 4+ hours for a year and they still work great!

The suede on the inside calf has worn down, but they still grip well, all the stitching is in place, and I don't take care of them! Now I wear them to the barn even if I don't ride. I feel naked without them :lol:

The only downside is that the buckle is hard to "clip" (You have to line it up just right). So when I get frustrated I just leave them undone and they work fine with the zipper only.

Good luck! And it looks like you'll have to tell up how they end up holding up!

LDavis104
Apr. 1, 2009, 09:19 AM
I've gone through two pairs (well, on my second pair) of the Ariat Close Contact half chaps in 1.5-2 years. I have so many holes in the elasticy leather on the back, they have not held up well at all. My last pair, which I had for about a year, the zippers broke so Ariat replaced them. I would never buy this kind again, and when these die, I'm considering Tredsteps (sp?).

PS- I buy my chaps extra tight so when they break in, they don't sag.

LDavis104
Apr. 1, 2009, 09:22 AM
To those of you with the Ariat CC half chaps with the falling zipper problem... they make safety pins with a "bend" to them (I foudn them in the sewing section of walmart) - push them through right below the zipper (when they're zipped up), through the elastic, and the pin keeps them up. The safety pins with the bend are easier than the straight ones.

HCF
Apr. 2, 2009, 04:27 PM
Dover has the Ariat Close Contact half chaps on closeout. Of course, they only have brown in small sizes, but if that's what you need, they're half off!

AffirmedHope
Apr. 2, 2009, 05:26 PM
Has anyone tried the Monaco half chaps? I heard so many good things about the boots so i was wondering if the half chaps have the same good feedback.