PDA

View Full Version : Riding Lessons near Kansas State University

that-one-girl
Mar. 31, 2009, 08:29 AM
I ran across a thread about this at the end of last week, but I wasn't able to get much information because much of the communication was done through PMs. Where would you suggest taking riding lessons around the Manhattan, KS area. The farthest I would be willing to drive is 30-45 minutes.

Thanks!

SaturdayNightLive
Mar. 31, 2009, 09:23 AM
You have a PM. :cool:

Punkie
Mar. 31, 2009, 11:03 AM
A good friend of mine is from Manhattan, KS and rode with Mary Ann Funk of Ashwood Stables for quite some time. It's a pretty well-known barn and they go to all of the big A shows and do a LOT of traveling. Here's their website: http://www.ashwoodfarm.net/

Hunter Mom
Mar. 31, 2009, 11:05 AM
I sent you a PM. There is a local circuit show - Northeast Kansas Hunter Association - at Cico park this weekend. Come on out & watch. Hunters on Saturday, Jumpers on Sunday.

FarnleyGarnet
Mar. 31, 2009, 12:38 PM
Fox Creek Farm. That's where the Kansas State Equestrian Team rides. Ashley Foster is a wonderful coach.

www.foxcreekfarm.com

Hunter Mom
May. 23, 2009, 12:14 AM
Ann White is not far from Manhattan (Belvue), and does a lot of eventing & hunter/jumper stuff. Vermillion Valley Equine Center. I don't think she has a website, though.

wyldhorseb
May. 25, 2009, 06:48 PM
I second Fox Creek Farm. I took a clinic from Ashley Foster this past winter and she was great. She is really good friends with my trainer and they went to college together.

kscroggs
May. 31, 2009, 05:21 PM
You might try Dry Creek Equestrian Center, they have some really good trainers for Hunter/Jumpers and it is only about 7 miles from campus.

jumper#1
Jun. 2, 2009, 11:48 PM
You need to call this number 785-341-1781. The barn is supper nice and the people are great! They have two new and fantastic trainers. It is Hye Pointe Equestrian Centre/Farm. They train to show at high levels of hunter/jumper shows. They are also happy to help others to learn to ride even if you are not showing at that level. They are so nice! No barn drama. They take top care of all horses. A few of their clients have competed at Olympic trials.

RojoPony
Jun. 3, 2009, 01:12 AM
So why not name the new trainers instead of giving out a farm name? That tells us nothing.

If they are so "great" and "fantastic" and "coached for both the Canadian and US Olympic teams in the past and has a great résumé" then his/their name should be recognizable

Why not spill it for all to see?

SaturdayNightLive
Jun. 3, 2009, 03:36 PM
You need to call this number 785-341-1781. The barn is supper nice and the people are great! They have two new and fantastic trainers. It is Hye Pointe Equestrian Centre/Farm. They train to show at high levels of hunter/jumper shows. They are also happy to help others to learn to ride even if you are not showing at that level. They are so nice! No barn drama. They take top care of all horses. A few of their clients have competed at Olympic trials.

I've been in the area for awhile and I've never heard of them. Who is the trainer?

SaturdayNightLive
Jun. 3, 2009, 03:53 PM
The barn is brand new and not quite finished. The trainer's names are Amy and Michele, but I'm not sure of last names.

They both trained with Matt Griffiths and Amy is trying to qualify for the world cup.

Interesting...I sent you a PM. :)

sittingpretty
Jun. 3, 2009, 04:35 PM
I nearly attended Kansas State two years ago to compete on their Varisty Team, and I adored riding with Ashley Foster. If you can take lessons with her, I suggest it! She's so easy to talk to, and really enjoys what she does. Plus, if you are ever interested in riding intercollegiately, she has experience in IHSA and IDA over here on the East Coast, showing in the most competitive region of the whole entire country for IHSA.

Mary Ann Funk and Anne White are both great trainers as well. Any one of them would be a good choice. :)

Hunter Mom
Jun. 3, 2009, 08:17 PM
Unfortunately really good instructors in the Manhattan have been hard to come by. Especially ones that won't talk about how awful you are as you drive out of the driveway.

I'm guessing you didn't look too hard, then. There are actually several very good trainers within an hour of Manhattan, who compete nationally and have very accomplished students. Just because one can ride doesn't mean they can teach others, too.

Just wondering - where is the new barn going in and who are the people again - I don't know folks just by first names. :)

FarnleyGarnet
Jun. 3, 2009, 10:26 PM
I'm going to agree with Hunter Mom and sittingpretty and say that there are several quality trainers in the area... there are in every area of the country... and it seems like there's always one barn trying to stir things up. I have a hunch about where the drama llamas are stabled in KS! :)

SaturdayNightLive
Jun. 4, 2009, 12:54 AM
The Trainers are not Michele and Amy.

The trainers are Matt and Adrianne, the was a write up about both trainers in Sunday's Manhattan Newspaper take a look at it. If you want to find out who is there and training call and ask, Instead of speculating on who it is and gossiping about it.

They are a private 28 stall barn, indoor 100x200 arena, plus outdoor arena and it will be finished by the end of June.

Wasn't gossiping, just asking for more info while trying not to hijack the thread. Way to be rude though. :yes:

that-one-girl
Jun. 4, 2009, 12:01 PM
I stand corrected. There was some confusion about who the trainers actually were. I thought Amy and Michele were going to be running the barn and doing the training and Matt and Adriane were just visiting.

I apologize for providing incorrect information.

gogreen
Jun. 23, 2009, 11:42 PM
I feel the best way for you to find a trainer is by going to all the local barns and talking to the owners in person. All the barns in the Manhattan area have their own ways of running things and it depends on what you are looking for. As for all the talk about Hye Pointe Equestrian Centre, I've heard that their barn is pretty nice and will be up and running at the end of June. It's located 7 minutes east of Manhattan.

hopfulrider1
Sep. 1, 2009, 12:27 PM
I stand corrected. There was some confusion about who the trainers actually were. I thought Amy and Michele were going to be running the barn and doing the training and Matt and Adriane were just visiting.

I apologize for providing incorrect information.

Matt and Adriane will come and visit but their not at hye point a whole lot. Amy and Michele Lambert run the farm, Amy is looking for a horse to do the world cup with and they compete all across the nation.

Amy is a really great instructor, and both Amy and Michele work very hard to make sure that all of the horses get top notch care.

Hye pointe equestrian center is about 10 min out of Manhattan.

Ann White is a good trainer too, its a little bit far from Manhattan though (45 min) and the facilities aren't THAT nice. I have never Trained with Ann but some of my friend ride out there.

Mary Ann is a good trainer if you can handle her screaming at you during your lesson. I rode with her for many years and she is the scariest trainer I have ever work with. There is also A LOT of drama out there, you have tons of gossip, and just general rude behaviour

Fox creek is nice but ashley is leaving.