PDA

View Full Version : Another field boot question.

FlashGordon
Mar. 30, 2009, 11:52 PM
Anyone know any brands with really thin/soft leather.... or stretch leather... that won't cost an arm and a leg?

Couture TB
Mar. 30, 2009, 11:56 PM
Honestly I swear by these. I have been using them for years. Softer then leather, hold up just as well, and have more flex to them. Look just like leather but are synthetic NOT rubber http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-38768&ids=73227483&bhcd2=1238468064

I order a new pair every 3-5 years, but I wear them every day spring through fall so they get a TON of wear and tear. They just started selling them with the zippers in.

FlashGordon
Mar. 31, 2009, 12:05 AM
Honestly I swear by these. I have been using them for years. Softer then leather, hold up just as well, and have more flex to them. Look just like leather but are synthetic NOT rubber http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-38768&ids=73227483&bhcd2=1238468064

I order a new pair every 3-5 years, but I wear them every day spring through fall so they get a TON of wear and tear. They just started selling them with the zippers in.

And they even have a nice spanish top! Perhaps I will check these out....

I need something super soft and flexible. Almost like the soft stuff they use on "fashion" knee high boots.

chawley
Mar. 31, 2009, 11:32 AM
Not sure what your budget is, but the new Mountain Horse Supremes are receiving rave reviews, and if you look at them on the Web site, it appears they leather is very soft. I believe they run around $500. There is a recent thread on here discussing them.

SoCalChick
Mar. 31, 2009, 05:37 PM

I ordered a pair of these and they were not comfortable at all. I didn't want to bother with them so I sent them back. Got a pair of Grand Prix Elite's instead. I thought Sergio Grasso's made a super soft boot - but they are being discontinued? I think they are the Perugia model.

InWhyCee Redux
Mar. 31, 2009, 05:46 PM
The Devon Aire Camden L'Cord pull-on field boots with the Spanish tops, gussets, and calfskin leather shafts. Wore them on a two-mile walk the day I got them to break them in and didn't get a blister then, still haven't. ;)

sisu27
Mar. 31, 2009, 05:52 PM
The Devon Aire Camden L'Cord pull-on field boots with the Spanish tops, gussets, and calfskin leather shafts. Wore them on a two-mile walk the day I got them to break them in and didn't get a blister then, still haven't. ;)

I have ancient Devon Aires that I have always schooled in and they are still not terrible looking boots and I find them comfy too. They have had nothing but abuse for um...15-20 years (apparantly my feet stopped growing when I was a little kid...is that weird??). Anyways I don't know what they are like today but these boots won't die! They even shine up better than my Der Daus.

Couture TB
Mar. 31, 2009, 06:52 PM
Hmm I always purchased them because they were so soft. Do you know if they changed the synthetic after adding the zippers? I thought they were more comfortable for my injured ankle then a leather boot. Guess I will see if they changed since I just ordered a pair a few days ago

SoCalChick
Mar. 31, 2009, 07:33 PM
I'm not sure if they changed the synthetic material, but they were really hard and uncomfortable. It really felt like they had no 'give'. They hurt more than my leather boots and somehow appeared taller than the measurements from the sizing chart. They looked nice in the box though!

Couture TB
Mar. 31, 2009, 09:41 PM
Oh no, I hope that was a fluke pair :( I LOVED my older pairs. They pretty much came almost 'broken in'. A little stiff, but not as stiff as leather and after 2 rides felt great great great. Guess I will see with the ones I ordered. Will let you guys know how long it takes to brake them in or if I through in the towel:lol:

altjaeger
Mar. 31, 2009, 09:46 PM
Nobody has mentioned the lining. I would think a cuff-lined boot with French calf leather would be the softest thing out there.

Bearhunter
Mar. 31, 2009, 10:20 PM
Grand Prix Elites are very soft calfskin. The boots truly resemble custom and the foot bed is so comfortable. I wear mine for schooling (have worn them 5 days a week for the last year) and I just had the local shoe guy patch the inside of the calf where it was just starting to thin. I think they retail for under $500.

JenEM
Mar. 31, 2009, 11:48 PM
I LOVE my Grand Prix Elites :yes: People have mistaken them for customs, and they were comfortable from day one, though I did put gel insoles in mine.

If you can find the older, non-zipper version, they can be had for relatively cheap.

Couture TB
Apr. 7, 2009, 05:51 PM
Ok so just got my new boots. Boy they were stiff when I first put them on! BUT I have wandered around in them all day and they are already softening up and I can get my heels down well in them with just a bit stiffness. They do fit quite well and look ver lovely. I guess I still say for the price ($103 after shipping!) you can't beat them if you don't mind synthetic.

IsolaBella09
Apr. 7, 2009, 06:23 PM
I love my Ariat Crownes with zippers. They have a thicker layer on the outside and a thiner layer of leather on the inside. I'm able to have a close feel on the insides of my legs, while the outsides are a little more sturdier. Love mine. :D

Pam
Apr. 8, 2009, 01:28 AM
I ordered a pair of these and they were not comfortable at all. I didn't want to bother with them so I sent them back. Got a pair of Grand Prix Elite's instead. I thought Sergio Grasso's made a super soft boot - but they are being discontinued? I think they are the Perugia model.

Sergio Grassio's are thinner than some half chaps! They cost a lot though, sounds like she is on a budget.