PDA

View Full Version : Breeders of Paint Thoroughbreds (or Appendix QH)

twiggy38
Mar. 30, 2009, 06:56 PM
Does anyone know of a breeding program that produces Thoroughbred Paint or Appendix "A" circuit quality horses?

Any help in that direction would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you

JB
Mar. 30, 2009, 09:23 PM
You might want to read this thread (http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=197130) and then join in :)

maxxtrot
Mar. 30, 2009, 10:17 PM
i have a paint/tb cross mare i bred. she was going to do eventing, but has decided she would rather go the hunter route. she has a wonderful trot, good canter and a good stride. she jumps cute too, but is only 4 ,so not to much jumping as of now. just been under tack for a year april. really nice pattern on her, not too much white. my hunter friends seem to think she will do well in the A hunters. i will have to find a buyer/rider for her as i ride eventers :)

TwoDreamRides
Mar. 31, 2009, 12:19 AM
I had an Appendix growing up [wait, I swear I'm still growing up] that made me really appreciate the QH attitude in a hunter. Now, we've got two Trakehner/QHs I'm waiting to have grow up so I can hop on. The girls at the barn are all clamoring for dibs on the colt haha.

Plumcreek
Mar. 31, 2009, 01:09 AM
Two websites can help:
www.huntseathorses.com - stallions
and www.pleasurehorse.com - click on forums on right (must join)

JB
Mar. 31, 2009, 08:09 AM
i have a paint/tb cross mare i bred. she was going to do eventing, but has decided she would rather go the hunter route. she has a wonderful trot, good canter and a good stride. she jumps cute too, but is only 4 ,so not to much jumping as of now. just been under tack for a year april. really nice pattern on her, not too much white. my hunter friends seem to think she will do well in the A hunters. i will have to find a buyer/rider for her as i ride eventers :)

I had an Appendix growing up [wait, I swear I'm still growing up] that made me really appreciate the QH attitude in a hunter. Now, we've got two Trakehner/QHs I'm waiting to have grow up so I can hop on. The girls at the barn are all clamoring for dibs on the colt haha.

Wellllll, what are their breedings? :p

Two websites can help:
www.huntseathorses.com (http://www.huntseathorses.com) - stallions
and www.pleasurehorse.com (http://www.pleasurehorse.com) - click on forums on right (must join)
keep in mind stallions for HUS are not necessarily also going to produce USEF Hunter horses, though at this point I'm not sure which the OP is referring to :)

GGsuperpony
Mar. 31, 2009, 09:39 AM
Check out:

www.norsirefarms.com

Nice horses.

twiggy38
Mar. 31, 2009, 11:03 AM
You might want to read this thread (http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=197130) and then join in :)
Thank you for the kind suggestion - the thread you are so kindly referring too is people looking for pinto colored warm bloods with thoroughbred in their breeding.

Paints on the other hand are a breed that is bred to have color but if the foal doesn't have enough color they are still Paints (referred to as breeding stock).. Usually, depending on the whim of the APHA and AQHA associations color challenged Paints can be registered as either a Quarter Horse or an Appendix Quarter Horse. Appendix Quarter horses have minimal white and some Thoroughbred in the line.

I am not looking for a colored warmblood but rather an athletic Thoroughbred with some Quarter horse in the line to give it a calmer temperament.

LookinSouth
Mar. 31, 2009, 11:31 AM
I am not looking for a colored warmblood but rather an athletic Thoroughbred with some Quarter horse in the line to give it a calmer temperament.

I dont' know of any specific breeding programs for a USEF type Appendix although I would be very interested in learning about some myself. I have seen some really nice USEF type Appendix horses on this board before, hopefully some of those owners will chime in.

I do have a breeding stock APHA/TB cross that is not of the HUS type and more USEF h/j in type. He has mostly done dressage but can jump fairly well considering he's only been doing it since the age of 15 and has a very sane temperment but athletic like a TB. I've been able to do everything from work cows to foxhunt with this horse and I am an adult ammie who hasn't been riding forever which only speaks to his good mind. He is 16.2 and nicely built. The other thing I love about this horse is he is sound as nails at 18 and ridiculously low maintenance.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2171028110101555132NvbMpw

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2605418190101555132ytmYdE

He is By APHA stallion Treasured
http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/treasured3

out of a JC TB Xylo's IMP

IrishWillow
Mar. 31, 2009, 11:43 AM
I am currently expecting a foal out of Red Fox Farm's "The Spotlight" .. he has produced some really nice hunter quality babies, and he is homozygous for tobiano, so they are always colored.

www.redfoxfarm.com

TwoDreamRides
Mar. 31, 2009, 11:55 AM
My Appendix didn't come with papers, unfortunately. I will always wonder his bloodlines as he was a great soul. Not USEF A level, but took me from Crossrails to 3' at C shows. He had a wonderful daisycutter trot.

The Quarter Horse/Trak babies that we have are both out of a Skipper W mare. My aunt, who is the Quarter Horse "person" of the two of us, selected the Skipper W lines because they were bred for athleticism and utility and were true "working" horses. Our filly is by Feuertanzer. We were testing the Trak cross and were pleasantly surprised. I selected Feron, a son of the Dressage stallion Peron, for the second cross.

Sorry these pictures are old (they're from late 2007), we haven't had a chance to clean the babies up in awhile:
Feuervogel aka "Phoenix": http://timberridgebreeding.tripod.com/imagelib/sitebuilder/misc/show_image.html?linkedwidth=560&linkpath=http://timberridgebreeding.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/feuevogel104cropcopy.jpg&target=tlx_new
Tiberon aka "Tibo": http://timberridgebreeding.tripod.com/id19.html

Unfortunately, I dont have any pictures of my Appendix on the computer, as that was before the age of digital cameras =]

JB
Mar. 31, 2009, 11:56 AM
Thank you for the kind suggestion - the thread you are so kindly referring too is people looking for pinto colored warm bloods with thoroughbred in their breeding.
Read again ;)

I am looking for a pinto or cremello TB or WB/TB stallion

Several of the first stallions mentioned are 100% TB.

Paints on the other hand are a breed that is bred to have color but if the foal doesn't have enough color they are still Paints (referred to as breeding stock).. Usually, depending on the whim of the APHA and AQHA associations color challenged Paints can be registered as either a Quarter Horse or an Appendix Quarter Horse. Appendix Quarter horses have minimal white and some Thoroughbred in the line.
A registered Paint can be 100% TB. An Appendix is a QHxTB, who may then gain full QH status based on a required number of points. Airdrie Apache, one of the first horses mentioned in the thread I linked to, is a JC-registered TB who is also APHA-registered. C Spot Run is the same - dual registered.

That's fine if you're not looking for a WB, but just having QH in the line doesn't mean it will be more quiet, and just because it's 100% TB doesn't mean it will be hot. State of the Art, mentioned on the other thread, does have a little WB in him, but he's mostly TB and Paint. His Dam is a TBxPaint, and even the Paint side has some TB blood.

HuntrJumpr
Mar. 31, 2009, 12:07 PM
Janet Newton Quarter Horses in Montana. I got my guy from there at age three - he had less than thirty days under saddle and was being ridden around a ranch. He is Appendix in that he has an "x" in front of his registration number -- he is actually mostly QH.

If nothing else he has a brilliant attitude, a great personality, and he is -cute- (according to people other than me. :P).

Parrotnutz
Mar. 31, 2009, 12:30 PM

My just 3 year old is by PS Sign the Card....he is appendix and my gelding's dam is pure TB. I bought directly from the breeder and my boy is definitely "A" circuit material. Dad was an over fence horse on AQHA.
The breeder is very honest and she can tell you which of her horses would be more suitable for USEF than AQHA. My boy is already 17 hands at 3 and has the best temperment of any horse I have ever owned. She does try to breed for temeprment as her personal thing is driving.

My mare's sires is Alota Gator Bait a 17.2 hand TB stallion and it seems he stamps his "kids" with his good temperment. He is often bred to AQHA and paint mares. Again my mare is "A" quality and although a mare temperment when riding she is safe and sane and brave.

I am really lucky. You can see them in my signature line webshots album. Any questions on the sires feel free to PM me

LookinSouth
Mar. 31, 2009, 12:47 PM
My just 3 year old is by PS Sign the Card....he is appendix and my gelding's dam is pure TB. I bought directly from the breeder and my boy is definitely "A" circuit material. Dad was an over fence horse on AQHA.
The breeder is very honest and she can tell you which of her horses would be more suitable for USEF than AQHA. My boy is already 17 hands at 3 and has the best temperment of any horse I have ever owned. She does try to breed for temeprment as her personal thing is driving.

My mare's sires is Alota Gator Bait a 17.2 hand TB stallion and it seems he stamps his "kids" with his good temperment. He is often bred to AQHA and paint mares. Again my mare is "A" quality and although a mare temperment when riding she is safe and sane and brave.

your horses were whom I was thinking of when I said I had seen some very nice appendix horses on this board. Who is the breeder and do they have website? Are they both from the same breeder? Feel free to pm me if you want.

ImJumpin
Mar. 31, 2009, 12:53 PM
Look for off the track quarter horses. Most will have TB in their breeding and do have wonderful attitudes-- you get the best of both worlds. I have a WB right now and prior horse to him was a WB, and I have decided that I am done with WBs and don't like TBs (not all TBs, I do realize that every horse that is the same breed is not the same, but...), so I will be looking for some sort of appendix or a paint cross. I had one pre-wbs, and you just can't beat the attitude on them!

HuntrJumpr
Mar. 31, 2009, 01:00 PM

I am really lucky. You can see them in my signature line webshots album. Any questions on the sires feel free to PM me

Whow - that is quite the breeding behind your guys.

Hauwse
Mar. 31, 2009, 02:42 PM
I do not know if you want to go this route, but again the tracks. There used to be web site www.fasthorses.biz, it appears to be in limbo now. I usually only buy the TB's that end up going down the appendix path, but my father fell in love with this appendix and he is showing tremendous potential, for the hunter/jumper ring. He could probably do dressage too if we had the desire to go do it.

Also there is a Roberto sired horse called Timely Roberto (Paint I think), I believe their site is www.redfoxfarm.com, and he seems to produce some really nice hunter type horses. I do not have any personal experience with their horses, but I know the Roberto line well, and have seen pictures of him performing and his offspring and they seem to have a good thing going.

Plumcreek
Mar. 31, 2009, 04:19 PM
Getting hunter QHs "off the track" was what we had to do 10 - 15 years ago. Today there are soooo many sires bred for the job, who have shown in those classes and have the temperment you want. The younger prospects that will not shine at HUS are inexpensive. "Not shining" at HUS generally means that they have a bigger motor (vs none at all wanted for HUS) or are built more uphill and do not carry their necks level. Both the sites I posted earlier have plenty of horses for the OP's purpose already on the ground at 3-4 years and ready to go, you just have to dig a little.

Edited to say: by innexpensive, I am talking under 8K, sometimes under 5K.

Parrotnutz
Mar. 31, 2009, 05:17 PM
Look for off the track quarter horses. Most will have TB in their breeding and do have wonderful attitudes-- you get the best of both worlds. I have a WB right now and prior horse to him was a WB, and I have decided that I am done with WBs and don't like TBs (not all TBs, I do realize that every horse that is the same breed is not the same, but...), so I will be looking for some sort of appendix or a paint cross. I had one pre-wbs, and you just can't beat the attitude on them!

No-No....the AQHA breeds for type and many are now bred for the hunters. Why would she need an off the track QH?

As mentioned in another post......it is a find when they are are little too "go-ey" for the under saddle....IE: too big a step. My mare showed on AQHA as a 3 yr old under saddle and when I got her tape I was laughing because by our standards she was slloowww and by AQHA standards she was blowing past her competition :D
Her canter is smooth as smooth can be and her natural stride is HUGE.
IMHO people discount the appendix's way too much.....I have owned them since 1984 and gee none had navicular, LOL And each one was a very cute "A" quality horse......they weren't cheap, but they weren't outrageous either.
Education is the key when buying an appendix, as to sire, plus knowing the show circuit and knowing that from 2 to 4 years old they can be very very pricey especially for a horse that doesn't jump.
My gelding has a sibling for sale at 3 for 60K and my mare has one for 75K on AQHA circuit....crazy I know but.....

juliet
Mar. 31, 2009, 05:27 PM
I have a friend breeds and sells appendix horses, although they are not paints. She stands the appendix stallion Tallyho Napur who is a son of Napur, the grand prix thouroughbred jumper. I know she has appendix horses for sale but her website has not been updated recently. She is really nice and also stands a thoroughbred son of Simbalu. Her name is Gail Palen and she has Heritage Sport Horses in Hood River Oregon. See the link below

http://www.sporthorse.com/

Parrotnutz
Mar. 31, 2009, 05:48 PM
Getting hunter QHs "off the track" was what we had to do 10 - 15 years ago. Today there are soooo many sires bred for the job, who have shown in those classes and have the temperment you want. The younger prospects that will not shine at HUS are inexpensive. "Not shining" at HUS generally means that they have a bigger motor (vs none at all wanted for HUS) or are built more uphill and do not carry their necks level. Both the sites I posted earlier have plenty of horses for the OP's purpose already on the ground at 3-4 years and ready to go, you just have to dig a little.

Edited to say: by innexpensive, I am talking under 8K, sometimes under 5K.

I have to disagree that 5 to 8K will get you something for the "A" circuit.....my apologies....unless it is very very young...like a yearling

maxxtrot
Mar. 31, 2009, 10:40 PM
jb- my paint mare is by jr's sunday britches out of my unraced tb mare daring lady.i bred to him to breed my mare down a tad. he is very easygoing, and she is a bit on the up side sometimes. the filly is wonderful. not to quiet, but not hot at all.i did not register her cause i bred her for myself to be an event horse,(and i did not care) but she moves good enough to do the hunters, and is a bit to small for what i like. though she does not ride small at all.

Plumcreek
Mar. 31, 2009, 10:49 PM
I have to disagree that 5 to 8K will get you something for the "A" circuit.....my apologies....unless it is very very young...like a yearling

Well, I did not say the hack winner, but on pleasurehorse.com forums, it is amazing what comes out of the woodwork when people inquire about wanting to buy a nice prospect. Most in that price range are barely started and usually situational, owner needs fast sale or they have been sitting in a pasture for a couple years in out of the way places.

And probably not as nice as your gray. Boy, does he look like my Encoriva, that I dearly loved.

Parrotnutz
Mar. 31, 2009, 11:05 PM
Well, I did not say the hack winner, but on pleasurehorse.com forums, it is amazing what comes out of the woodwork when people inquire about wanting to buy a nice prospect. Most in that price range are barely started and usually situational, owner needs fast sale or they have been sitting in a pasture for a couple years in out of the way places.

And probably not as nice as your gray. Boy, does he look like my Encoriva, that I dearly loved.

Encoriva!! Now that"s a name I know and an awesome horse for sure!!!

I was thinking more of over all type when talking price....funny I never look for the hack winner, LOL.

My mare can win the hack.....at home....put her in the ring and she hates other horses around her enough to lose the hack.....she does get a piece though. But she gets too tense to win, but she is working on it. Send her in a ring of jumps....it's all over...she says "It's all abut me" She thinks jumps were put on earth just for her. Now if I only had the $$$ to really campaign her, sigh. She can walk in a crowd of 20 and win the o/f and has.

Pippin I bought as a 2 yr old.......sure didn't need another horse, but after seeing him doing tempi's in a field, just because he could, at 18 months on a straight line <video> I watched him and when he came up for sale and I saw his video everything went blank....next thing I knew he was here.

Too soon to tell what his career will be like but I am 58 and not the bravest person in the world and after owning him for 2 weeks I climbed on and rode him <he came with 30 days on him> He could barely steer but what a kind boy!
We just saddled him up again after all winter turned out......he is right where we left him.....he is such a "happy horse" and so athletic. I already know he jumps cute just from seeing him canter over a pole on tyhe ground when surprised, LOl.

But my mare has my heart! She is a true B*t*h :D

PonyPenny
Apr. 1, 2009, 12:04 AM
Colts Unlimited in Wyoming seems to have some nice Quarter Horses and crosses that they show on the Quarter Horse circuit and the USEF circuit. Just google the name to find the website. They may be able to answer some of your questions.

seagull
Apr. 1, 2009, 01:25 AM
There is a woman in Redmond, Oregon who breeds paint thoroughbreds. she gave my daughter and me a tour of her farm when I was in the area last summer.
here is her website -
http://www.painteddesert.net/

lots of adorable foals when I was there.