PDA

View Full Version : Oiled Vespucci and oiled Edgewood: color variation?

pattnic
Mar. 30, 2009, 04:16 PM
Soo.... I have a traditional-crown Vespucci figure eight that I am currently not using. I have a Vespucci-sized (cob) gelding, who would like a show bridle. I have a small budget and some spare pieces lying around, including Edgewood reins and cheek pieces.

The Vespucci is "Newmarket" colored... I know you're not really supposed to oil Vespuccis, but really, I'm going to have to do so.

Here is the question: how comparable is the color of an oiled Vespucci to that of an Edgewood? Could I use my Edgewood pieces to convert the Vespucci figure eight into a hunter bridle (and have it look nice)?

Rye
Mar. 31, 2009, 01:39 PM
I oiled my Figure 8 vespucci and it was still more tan than they nice redish brown color of my Edgewood rubber reins. So I got some brown leather dye at the shoe repaire shop and worked on the Vespucci. I didn't care that I changed the white stitching to dark brown. after the initial application of dye it had a little bronzeish glaze. I wiped it off and read that applying neutral shoe polish will take off the bronze...worked great.

Also, I stripped it with water/amonia before I dyed it.

It looks good.

BAC
Mar. 31, 2009, 01:47 PM
The Vespucci is "Newmarket" colored... I know you're not really supposed to oil Vespuccis, but really, I'm going to have to do so.

If you want to darken leather without oiling, use CWD's cream conditioner. They told me to use it to darken my new leathers to match my new, factory oiled, saddle, it did a great job and everything matches perfectly, dark havana.

naters
Mar. 31, 2009, 01:53 PM
Ummm..... what?? You aren't supposed to oil the Vespucci??? I have been doing mine since I have had it... please tell me this doesn't spell disaster for my bridle!

Rye
Mar. 31, 2009, 03:10 PM
You're fine. Too many people get thier nickers in a twist about "over-oiling". Sure if you soaked in a barrel of oil for weeks, that would be a problem. Proper application of oil doesn't kill things.

BAC
Mar. 31, 2009, 03:33 PM
Ummm..... what?? You aren't supposed to oil the Vespucci??? I have been doing mine since I have had it... please tell me this doesn't spell disaster for my bridle!

Prestige very clearly states not to oil their products, so does Hadfields, and they tell you what products to use in place of oil. I disregarded the warning and oiled my Hadfields, much to my regret. :( When I returned it that was the first thing she told me, even before asking what I had used on it. Turns out it was the oil that had caused the edges to lift from the noseband. I think there was a problem with leaking glue on some Vespucci bridles and it was attributed to oil.

lauriep
Mar. 31, 2009, 09:38 PM
Prestige very clearly states not to oil their products, so does Hadfields, and they tell you what products to use in place of oil. I disregarded the warning and oiled my Hadfields, much to my regret. :( When I returned it that was the first thing she told me, even before asking what I had used on it. Turns out it was the oil that had caused the edges to lift from the noseband. I think there was a problem with leaking glue on some Vespucci bridles and it was attributed to oil.

Why in the world would there even BE glue used on an expensive bridle? NOT!!!!!

pattnic
Apr. 1, 2009, 09:39 AM

Heh, heh, heh... part of the reason I think that Vespuccis are overpriced (this one I got really cheap).

Supposedly the reason is that it holds the padding to the rest of the bridle while the stitching is done. Regardless, I still don't feel that the glue should be leaking.

Where can I get the CWD cream conditioner? I lightly oiled a small part of my bridle last night, and it didn't do jack.

BAC
Apr. 1, 2009, 09:48 AM

There really shouldn't be, but I am not impressed with Vespucci anyway and would much prefer an Edgewood.

BAC
Apr. 1, 2009, 09:53 AM
Where can I get the CWD cream conditioner? I lightly oiled a small part of my bridle last night, and it didn't do jack.

Check their website, you can find your nearest rep, they always send stuff out immediately. I think Dover also has it, although they don't always show it on their website.

Rye
Apr. 1, 2009, 10:05 AM
Ok fine, ignore my suggestion completely. My figure 8 now matches my Edgewood reins. Some BS cream is not going to do the same amount of color changing that dye will. She needs to do a heck of a lot more than darken....

BAC
Apr. 1, 2009, 12:33 PM
Ok fine, ignore my suggestion completely. My figure 8 now matches my Edgewood reins. Some BS cream is not going to do the same amount of color changing that dye will. She needs to do a heck of a lot more than darken....

Don't take it so personally, OP asked for suggestions and has received several, its up to her now to decide what to use. Personally I don't care to dye leather, maybe OP feels the same way.

pattnic
Apr. 1, 2009, 12:37 PM
Rye, it's not that I don't believe you - it's that I'm scared! :lol:
While I didn't pay much for the bridle, I still paid enough that I don't want to ruin it (and with my luck, I would).

If I choose to go the dye route, I'll pass it off to someone else who knows what they're doing! :yes: