PDA

View Full Version : Triton Stables, NC - what kind of facility is it?

La Gringa
Mar. 30, 2009, 01:24 PM
Can someone tell me about this barn? Is it reputable?

You can PM me if you would like to...

Thanks

hideyourheart03
Mar. 30, 2009, 02:38 PM
What are you looking for? School type barn or big time horse show barn?

If you want the first one, then Triton wouldn't be a terrible place. They don't do any 'A' shows really but do a lot of 'C' shows and even host their own series.

KristieBee
Mar. 30, 2009, 02:42 PM
see if it's listed on horsestablereview.com - that site is genius!

La Gringa
Mar. 30, 2009, 04:30 PM
It's not listed on the review site.

I am asking about it because I inquired about a teaching position there for their beginner program, and wanted to see about the barn's reputation.

The trainer is Shep Welles, Jeffery Welles brother. I don't know him or Jeffery.. so I am just inquiring.

Is it more of a school type barn? That's what I am understanding.

Ben and Me
Mar. 30, 2009, 06:15 PM
I grew up riding there...and I think most people in Raleigh have ridden there at one point in their lives or another. It used to be about the only H/J lesson barn in town, aside from McNairs, but now there is a lot more competition. So, even though they used to have a huge beginner program, I'm not sure if they do anymore? They had a TON of school ponies. The old facility was pretty worn out, and I haven't seen the new facility. Shep and Jeffrey's mom, Mrs. Welles, is about the toughest lady ever, but she knows her stuff. She's probably about 85 or 90 by now, so I don't know that she does much teaching anymore. I left before I was good enough to ride with Shep (he trains the kids that go to "away" shows, as opposed to the kids who just show at the Triton shows), but he was always cordial to me. Back when I was showing, I ran into them mostly at C shows. They usually have a big group at the Greensboro and Raleigh C shows, but not many (if any) at the local As.

Pookah
Mar. 30, 2009, 08:20 PM
I grew up riding at Triton. About 25 years ago, that's depressing! Ben & Me is correct- just about everyone who's ridden in Raleigh, especially back then, rode at Triton at some point or another! It's a great barn, just depends on what you're looking for. If you want a fancy A show barn with pampered kids and ponies, it's probably not for you. If you're looking for a solid barn with a good teaching program, it's a fabulous opportunity. They've been in business for probably more than 40 years now, not a claim that many barns can make anymore. They host C shows each month, and regularly attend many C shows in the area, and some A shows. At one time they also had a pretty sizable breeding program; I'm not very current on the details of that, but I know they've always had some nice homebreds, and we have a very cute pony in my current barn that is Triton-bred. One of my friend's mothers ran the beginner program for probably the last 20 years or so, and recently had to retire, so I assume that's why they're looking--it's probably a great opportunity to take over a lesson program and build it up into what you want, if that's something you're interested in. I'm sure you've found it already, but they do have a website, www.tritonstables.net, I think. Feel free to PM me if you want more info, it's definitely a true original of a barn, and although it's not perfect, I have tons of wonderful childhood memories from growing up out there.

TSWJB
Mar. 30, 2009, 08:27 PM
i only know the old facility. it was a bit run down and the barn was a bit messy. but the horses looked well cared for. i kept my horse there for a short stay. and i enjoyed it. i even ended up showing in their horse show that they had on the premises.
i also rode there when my horse was at home in NJ. i took some lessons from ellen. she was like the other poster said a tough lady. but she was nice. she liked the way i rode so she invited me to ride some of her young horses. she had some very nice horses that they bred. one was a top show star! i forget the name now. but the horse she had me ride that day was freaking out due to being taken away from his friends and she was pretty tough handling the horse even though she wasnt a very big woman and she was old.
shep welles seemed to be really good with training the horses. he seemed happy to be at home training and didnt seem to want the life that his brother jeffrey was pursuing.
at another point in time i tried one of their horses to buy. i really liked the horse and was thinking of getting a vet to do a prepurchase and then they told me it had a cataract in his eye. which i had not noticed. it was a young horse. i really didnt want to do surgery so i declined to buy the horse. but they were honest and upfront when they saw i was extremely interested. they had some very very nice young horses.
i have never been to the new facility.

Arado*TB
Mar. 30, 2009, 08:30 PM
FWIW it is a nice place. The new barns are open and airy and spotless. The horse all look happy. Lots of turn out.
Mrs Wells is still sharp and can tell you more than you probably need to know. She doesn't miss much. Shep is a class act and genuinely a nice guy. He provides impeccable care no doubt. I know he stays home a lot and does the lesson program when others are traveling. I don't think you will find to many negative comments.
Good luck.

snoopy
Mar. 30, 2009, 08:33 PM
FWIW it is a nice place. The new barns are open and airy and spotless. The horse all look happy. Lots of turn out.
Mrs Wells is still sharp and can tell you more than you probably need to know. She doesn't miss much. Shep is a class act and genuinely a nice guy. He provides impeccable care no doubt. I know he stays home a lot and does the lesson program when others are traveling. I don't think you will find to many negative comments.
Good luck.

WOW we argree on the FACILITY being nice, but the care??? You must be joking!!! Shep is nice, yes, but ask Jeffrey if HE would board his horses with his brother?!

La Gringa
Mar. 30, 2009, 09:11 PM
Thanks everybody. It sounds like the old PBEC when I learned as a kid. I have a pretty good idea of what it is now. :)

La Gringa
Mar. 30, 2009, 09:41 PM
I spoke with Shep.. they're looking for someone to run the beginner program, but it probably wouldn't be enough to support someone full time. If someone you guys know is looking around your area for work.. . it might be a good option though for a fellow horse person.

Oh well, it was worth a shot. He was very nice on the phone.

Ben and Me
Mar. 30, 2009, 10:22 PM
One of my friend's mothers ran the beginner program for probably the last 20 years or so, and recently had to retire, so I assume that's why they're looking--it's probably a great opportunity to take over a lesson program and build it up into what you want, if that's something you're interested in.

Are you talking about Miss Pat? She was so patient with me--I spent about 6 months on the lunge line with her when I first started! I was only 5, and I still remember what she said to me the first day about not sidestepping manure and just walking straight on through, haha.

Arado*TB
Mar. 31, 2009, 08:22 AM
Snoopy,
I can only go by what I have seen. So I really can't say anything negative.. The only thing I can say I would personally change is the type of hay fed. That is MY opinion. If it works him , so be it.

Pookah
Mar. 31, 2009, 08:23 AM
Yup, Miss Pat! She started teaching when her daughter Lorraine and I were riding out there. She's started a LOT of kids over the years!