PDA

View Full Version : Barn hours - please report in

Indy100
Mar. 30, 2009, 08:57 AM
What are your barn hours? And, do you board at a show barn.

Also, if your barn is closed on Mondays, what exactly does that mean - no riding OR riding is ok but no lessons OR not allowed on the property OR ?

Jo
Mar. 30, 2009, 09:04 AM
Open 24-7 as far as I know... not set times but we're usually all out by 8 p.m.

nlk
Mar. 30, 2009, 09:09 AM
The barn I worked at for years had it's hours listed as 8-10. However I frequently rode earlier and later as did others. They were fine as long as everything got turned off. They were open 7 days a week and currently hold lessons 7 days a week. There have been times when there were no lessons on days but boarders were still welcome (always) and they Often allowed "practice rides" for the students.

The breeding farm was a little different as they were only the owners horses. feeding was at 9 am (I loved this) all the stable work got done and the guys left. I feed during the winter around 5pm a little later when it stayed light out longer. Sometimes I would ride after feeding if I didn't have all the stallions worked. They also did business 7 days a week. If they had someone who wanted to see a stud they were there regardless of time or day.

The current barn owners I will be training out of in a month have told me that they have no hours. They don't care what time I ride or what days, and that goes for my customers as well

In fact I don't know of a single barn up here that is closed a certain day a week!

mrsbradbury
Mar. 30, 2009, 09:11 AM
Our farm does not have hardfast hours for boarders. They may come and go as they please. The stable is small, and though it houses show horses, it is not a "show barn" in the sense there are multiple trainers and horse shows going on.

We are open on Mondays, and I teach an evening ladies lesson. Unless showing, I try not to be "there" (I live there, anyway.), on Saturday afternoons and Sundays. I can see everything from house anyway.

We close the barn up between 8:30 and 9:00 pm weekdays.

gg4918
Mar. 30, 2009, 09:40 AM
No set hours really at the barn, but the barn is pretty much full service only and the grooms get off at 4.
No riding on mondays, its a day for the vet/farrier/dentist to come and a day for everybody to relax.
Its a show barn.

mvp
Mar. 30, 2009, 09:45 AM
I would not board my horse at a barn that was closed to me. You never know when your horse needs something on a monday after a show that it's easiest for the owner to provide. If he needs a roll in the arena, poultice hosed off, whatever.

I do ask about hours when I check out a place. Most experienced BOs and trainers will have clear ideas about what they want in terms of people showing up or riding unsupervised.

I ask about all these things and then make sure I don't bug the BO during the days or times they have said they'd like "off."

cricket1978
Mar. 30, 2009, 09:48 AM
Our farm is open 24/7; we have people come as early 5am and some who stay as late as 10:30 ish. However, we don't allow children (anyone under 18) to be at the farm without adult supervision, meaning kids are fine after school and until about 7:30ish. We also strongly encourage people not to ride alone late at night or early in the morning, so most come in groups to ride during odd times. Sometimes I wish we had “hours”- but for many of the working moms and college student’s odd times are really the only time they get a chance to ride during the week!

A few local barns are closed on Mondays, meaning no one is to be at the barn for any reason, front gates are closed!

katie16
Mar. 30, 2009, 09:57 AM
CLOSED Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day. Totally. Do not want to see any customers on those days. Horses DO get fed as usual, stalls are mucked, and horses are turned out.

If there is a problem (illness or injury) that needed to be tended to we make exceptions.

Best View
Mar. 30, 2009, 10:05 AM
I board at a show barn:
Monday - closed (no riding, no visiting - this depends on show schedules but otherwise closed)
Tuesday-Friday 8-8
Saturday 8-6
Sunday 8-3
Closed some holidays... and the hours are flexible if there is good cause, ex)showing, work schedule...

joiedevie99
Mar. 30, 2009, 10:05 AM
Barn 1: 7 am to 9 pm for boarders. Lessons/tack-up/grooming service from 7:30 until 5, or by special arrangement with trainer (occasional night lesson). Closed on major holidays. No lessons, tack-up or grooming services on Mondays, but you can ride and take care of your horse if you want (most don't).

Barn 2: 7 am to 6 pm for everyone. Closed Mondays, but you can come take care of horse if trainer knows about it (no riding or just showing up for fun)

Barn 3: Common courtesy- no set hours

Rabbit351w
Mar. 30, 2009, 10:09 AM
M-F 9-9
Sat 1:30ish - 9 (the barn is closed in the AM to boarders during therapeutic lessons on Sat. mornings)
Sun 9-6

boarders generally allowed before or after barn hours so long as they ask first.

anchorsaway
Mar. 30, 2009, 10:17 AM
I board at a show barn however it's very small. Anyway.

In the summer...there aren't really hours but as a general unspoken rule it's 8-9 but there are people that will ride after or before that. As long as everything is shut off/closed up.

In the winter it's 8-8 or 8-9. Same rules apply in the winter that do in the summer. Lessons aren't scheduled on holidays(Thanksgiving, Christmas, ect) but the barn is open.

Ashby
Mar. 30, 2009, 10:17 AM
I'm kind of frustrated because our barn just decided to change its hours so it will close at 9 p.m. It's hard for me to get off work at six, get home, shove a mouthful of food in my face, change, get out to the barn, and get the riding/cooling out/grooming/feeding done before 10, much less nine. I don't know how this is going to happen and it's really starting to look like my riding is going to be seriously restricted. I hate rushing a horse through its work.

Lilykoi
Mar. 30, 2009, 10:18 AM
Barn does have hours, but loosely enforced. Closed on holidays; Christmas, Easter, etc.
Horses are fed but no turnout or mucking on those days. Its a show barn and most people are on full service. A group of us come out and do our own thing those days. We turn our horses out and do their stalls. We are all self sufficient, no full service. The guys seem to appreciate our stalls the next day!:D

WorthTheWait95
Mar. 30, 2009, 10:21 AM
Barn 2: 7 am to 6 pm for everyone. Closed Mondays, but you can come take care of horse if trainer knows about it (no riding or just showing up for fun)

It closes at 6pm? How do any of the working adults/college kids ride?

My barn has no hours and open everyday of the year. My BO encourages me to come out on major holidays so she has an excuse to hang out in the barn a little longer before facing her extended family. :lol:

In the past I've boarded places where they were closed on Mon or had set hours. The hours didn't bother me as long as they were reasonable (ie: 6am-10pm) and didn't restrict my riding time. Closing the barn on a certain day did bother me. I don't like being told I can't come see my horses.

I'll also never understand how barns can skip days of mucking stalls....I can't imagine that's pleasent the day after and I certainly don't want to pay expensive board and have my horses stand in a filthy stall for over 24 hrs. I've never boarded at a place that did that or even heard of it until this board.

indygirl2560
Mar. 30, 2009, 10:24 AM
6am-10pm
I train in the show barn, but my trainer is the owner of the entire facility(about 60-80 horses) and allows other boarders(like western riders, trail riders, etc) and a western trainer too. A good 36 stalls of the barn are only for show clients or horses sent in to be trained and sold.
There is 24hr staff on-site but you can visit your horse between those hours. My trainer doesn't teach Mondays but the barn is still open and you can still ride your horse.

Thomas_1
Mar. 30, 2009, 10:27 AM
I own one so this is from that perspective.

I have Mondays and Tuesdays as customer free days. This means no customers about and time to do paddock work and training and stuff without folks getting in the way and needing attention and time.

My contract states:

Access to tack/feed room is ordinarily 8a.m. to 5p.m. It is recommended that the owner make arrangement to ensure that the premises are attended and tack room unlocked. We are content to agree to accommodate out of the aforementioned hours by arrangement. I ordinarily let people go outside those hours at the end of the day - not at the start of the day though and providing they play by the rules and don't interfere with the horses normal feed and turn out times and leave things tidy and close things and don't require any looking after. I never allow anything after 9pm though.

jmvwiv
Mar. 30, 2009, 10:35 AM
I'm at a show barn
Mondays closed - and she wants it client free.
Tues - Fri - open till dark
Sat & Sun - dawn till noon

FindersKeepers
Mar. 30, 2009, 10:38 AM
The barn is open 7 days a week. You can come out anytime after 7, but we keep out until 8 or 8:30 to allow everyone to get fed, digest their food, and turnout started. (they get fed at 7). Lights off in the barn at 9. BO comes down, does night check. Hays and waters, and lights out and you are out the door. No excuses, unless it is for the health or safety of a horse. (if you're waiting for the vet or have to cold hose for 20 minutes and won't be done until 9:05...no problem)

My other mare is boarded at a friend's place, and I'm the only boarder. No set hours, just let her know if I'll be arriving before 8am or after 8pm, just so she doesn't get scared seeing a car come up the driveway.

Tini Sea Soldier
Mar. 30, 2009, 10:49 AM
Some of you at show barns with crazy restricted hours... I'd love to hear what you're paying for that!!!! dawn-noon... HAHA! I'd never ride on weekends... when I was a college student, if I wasn't at a horse show... I wasn't out of bed on wkds before 230! And the other one that closes at 6pm.... WOW... I'd have to start sending my horses postcards bc I would never get to see them!

Anyway, any show barn i've ever been at... it's basically an "Everyone out by 9" rule. Although some were a bit more understanding than others that if you were dismounted and cooling off a horse... 930 was understandable.

Mondays were usually either a "closed" day.. or at the very least, a No Trainer on Duty day. Again, some places were more flexible than others about visiting... and one actually let us hack if we were leaving for a horse show on tuesday and needed to not have the day off. This was always with the BO's permission in advance.

I don't think there was ever any morning hours, as we're all crazy horse show people that wake up at ridic hours to prep our horses and were always there by like 5am lunging/bathing/braiding etc.

I totally understand and can appreciate a "closed" day... especially when it's a Monday since most of the show people are coming off a crazy weekend. It gives the horses a day to chill out and me the chance to get everything else done without the guilt of knowing that I should be riding!

Oh! Holidays... Christmas was either closed or everyone out by 1. Thanksgiving same thing. I don't think they cared about Easter or New Years?

WorthTheWait95
Mar. 30, 2009, 10:53 AM
Sat & Sun - dawn till noon

:eek::eek::eek:
Yikes that is really restricted!

This is an interesting thread. I love my Barn and BO even more now! :lol:

EAY
Mar. 30, 2009, 11:05 AM
My barn is open 24/7 but I don't think the BO would be too happy about someone being there much later than 9pm during the summer or 7:30 during the winter. The ring has lights but we don't have an indoor so people are not really interested in riding much later than that during the winter anyway.

The only real restrictions are that the BO doesn't want us riding when no one else is around (i.e. somewhere on the grounds, though not necessarily in the ring) and the lesson program is so extensive that after a certain time in the late afternoon, particularly in the winter, it's nearly impossible to get in a good ride. Summer's much better, not only because of the longer days, but also the area we have available for riding is much more extensive.

Early mornings are fine since someone's usually around as soon as there's enough light to work, but in the winter the cold and the ground conditions can make it difficult.

jmvwiv
Mar. 30, 2009, 12:07 PM

oh no its not a bad thing and not really in stone either - I'm in FL and trust me you dont want to be riding after noon time anyway. If someone wanted to go out and ride I guess they could but all the years I've been here I cant think of a time when someone did :lol: We're a smaller group and guess we all like to get our rides out of the way in the morning. It works out for everyone & our trainer too so she can then go spend time with her husband who works full time.

Tini Sea Soldier
Mar. 30, 2009, 12:13 PM
oh no its not a bad thing and not really in stone either - I'm in FL and trust me you dont want to be riding after noon time anyway. If someone wanted to go out and ride I guess they could but all the years I've been here I cant think of a time when someone did :lol: We're a smaller group and guess we all like to get our rides out of the way in the morning. It works out for everyone & our trainer too so she can then go spend time with her husband who works full time.

Welll THAT makes much more sense!!!

Whimsically Smart
Mar. 30, 2009, 12:13 PM

I completely agree!! Wow....

jetsmom
Mar. 30, 2009, 12:15 PM
No set hrs. Most people are gone by dark. No closed days, although on Sundays the barn worker feeds and that's it. If you want your stall cleaned or horses turned out you do it yourself.

I love our barn. Everyone gets along great, facility is very nice w/14x14 stalls and horses get great care.

cyriz's mom
Mar. 30, 2009, 12:21 PM
Wow, I thought there would be MORE restrictions based on my limited experience in the h/j world.

The barn that absolutely shocked was in Houston. I sent a horse down for a couple of months to be sold and had to sign the normal boarding agreement. NO clients on the farm before 2 pm. No hand grazing, no turning your own horse out. There were a number of other restrictions that amazed me, but since I wasn't going to riding there, I just shook my head.

Years ago, I boarded at a barn that was closed to everyone on Mondays (not a show barn). And closed at 8 in the winter. The crotchety old man who was the barn manager didn't like me and I can't tell you how many times I came back to the barn from the indoor to find he had locked me out of the tack room.

hj0519
Mar. 30, 2009, 12:22 PM
Mondays - closed. nobody can come (unless you get special permission...like, once my horse went lame at the last day of an away show, we got back Sunday night, it was okay for me to come on Monday and see how my horse was doing).

Tuesday-Saturday - I think it opens at 8. I'm not totally sure on when it closes - maybe 7 or 8? And you can generally get permission to stay later if you really can't get there during hours.

Sunday - either 8 or 9 until 4.

dwblover
Mar. 30, 2009, 12:23 PM
First show barn had no hours. Owner said horses are yours, come when you please. (I miss that barn!) :( Second barn was from 8AM - 10PM seven days a week. Owner was a really nice guy though, so if you needed to come out early or late you could just let him know and he wouldn't care. Miss that barn too! I now self-care out of a co-op facility, so no restricted hours for me.:D Some of the restricted hours people are listing seem shocking to me. And I don't know that I like the whole idea of a barn being totally closed one day per week. But hey, if it works for that person, then great.

mjrtango93
Mar. 30, 2009, 12:27 PM
We have no hours, barn is closed Mondays, but that just means don't go bug the trainer or BO. Both the trainer, BO, as well as the groom, and the stall cleaner live on the property, so really do whatever you want but just be courtious that they live there, and close everything off when your done. Stalls and feeding are done 7 days a week, full training horses are worked 5 with another day of TO. No services on holidays except feeding, but you can come if you want to, and honestly stalls normally still get done because he has no family here and gets bored. Barn has been closed completely 6 times in the 12 years or so I've been there for repairs or planned euth's that they don't want boarders around for, and even then its just a couple hours.

dghunter
Mar. 30, 2009, 12:32 PM
Our barn has no real hours. BO likes no one to come before 8 so they can get stalls done (or mostly done) and feed breakfast. But if you need to come out before 8 she doesn't care as long as you let her know. Otherwise we're open 24/7 and there have been nights where I've been on my way home at 11 or 12 at night and just like to stop by and check on the horses. Her daughter is also an insomniac so if she's awake at night she'll come out and do various things (especially in the summer, she'll do turnouts at night if she's awake). BO doesn't do stalls on major holidays or Sundays so boarders are responsible for that or you can pay BO's daughter to clean stalls/turnout. We have some show horses but mostly just people who ride for fun.

ETA: The show barns I've been at have never had any hours to the best of my knowledge (or at least none that conflicted with my schedule lol). Now it's harder because I'm in college so I come out when I have breaks or late at night or whatever.

Peggy
Mar. 30, 2009, 12:42 PM
Am with trainer who is one of two trainers at a stable that also has non-training horses. Barn owner lives on property, trainers do not. So, kind of two sets of hours: one for the stable and one for the trainer.

I think the stable hours are dawn-ish to 9 or 10 pm. Not enforced for someone coming to check on a sick horse, going to or coming back from a show. Definitely enforced for someone who consistently pushes the envelope by being there with lights on until 11 or 12.

For the trainer, there are no lessons on Monday but you may come out. Most (nearly all) people do not. Horses in training are turned out, lunged, hand walked or something. There aren't fixed lessons, but you sign up in a book that has unavailable times blocked out. Trainers are available for lessons 8-3 on weekends and 8-whenever kids get out of school and finish riding during the week. There might be one weekday when the barn isn't open for lessons in the PM? At the moment there are no adults with 9-5 work schedules so no lessons that start after 4 or 5. We start (and finish) earlier in the summer when it gets hot

eclipse
Mar. 30, 2009, 12:44 PM
7 days a week (only closed Christmas day & New Years Day) from 7:30am until 8:30pm. The only restrictions we have are if both rings are in use for lessons then we must check with the instructor to make sure it's ok for us to hack. But, generally there is no need to hack with a lesson as they only go until noon in both indoor rings on Sat & only in 1 ring on Sundays. Week nights are harder as there's lessons in both rings every night (except Fridays)! But, the majority of us take 3 lessons a week anyway & I give my mare Monday & Wed off so I never have to hack with anybody else in the ring (it's lovely)

TheOrangeOne
Mar. 30, 2009, 12:50 PM
My trainer's barn hours are 12 PM- 3 PM, by appointment, tuesday through sunday. Monday closed means you don't show up unless there is some reason. I don't board there because of that, but I completely understand why he runs his barn that way.

Drummerboy
Mar. 30, 2009, 12:52 PM
Closed till 1:00 on Xmas Eve, no Jr's to ride (we have had more kids fall off on this day than any other all year!) Closed Xmas and Thanksgiving.

Open 7 days, 7a.m. to 8 p.m.

We were open till 9, but people were pushing it past that time, after repeated reminders. We need to do late night, lights, doors etc and still get to bed at a reasonable hour!

If a horse is injured or ill, the rules don't apply.

flogarty
Mar. 30, 2009, 12:54 PM
My trainer's barn hours are:
Weekdays 9 am- 9pm
Weekends 9 am- 6pm

We can ride on Mondays, but there aren't lessons... and don't bother the trainer unless there is a serious problem (ie colic, large flesh wound)

Of course, there are some exceptions- last week we had a horse colic, sometimes we don't get back from a show until late Sunday, etc.

And the barn is closed on Xmas.

OneMoreTime
Mar. 30, 2009, 12:58 PM
There are no restrictions for boarders in terms of time - just clean up after yourself/horse & make sure everything is locked. They have the philosophy that boarders are really like "part owners" of the facility. It is very respectful & everyone seems to appreciate it

There IS the expectation that you won't ride in the indoor while a lesson is going on, unless you have express permission in advance & a "practice" is listed on the schedule. Lessons are every day of the week except Monday. Monday is absolutely fine for boarders to come out, ride, hang out, etc.

chawley
Mar. 30, 2009, 01:01 PM
Yes, I board at a show barn.

Barn hours are as follows:

Monday - 9-6
Tuesday - Thursday: 9-9
Friday-Sunday - 8-7

These hours are basically for riding. If you're grooming, visiting, handwalking, or whatever outside of these hours, it's typically not a big deal. For example, when my horse was injured, I would handwalk him in the morning around 6 a.m., before work, or if I want to stop out Monday even at 7 p.m. to graze him, it's okay.

katie16
Mar. 30, 2009, 01:07 PM
Just a comment for those who don't like the idea of barns being closed for an entire day, or early on another day. Often, we need to do minor or major "construction" projects and that is the easiest way to get them done without disturbing lessons, spooking the horse they are riding, being interrupted to answer questions, being in the customers way and vice versa, etc.

Additionally, in our case, the owner lives on the property (house is immediately next to the barn). We close at 2pm on Sundays. This not only gives us some time to get projects done, it allows the owner some small bit of private time at their home. Sundays were selected (vs the typical Mondays) because we felt that the majority of our customers could get to the barn easily then - thus allowing everyone the opportunity to be there seven days a week if they desired. I don't think it is too much to ask.

Dun Ciarain
Mar. 30, 2009, 01:17 PM
Show Barn

Mondays - Closed
Tues - Fri - 7-6
Sat & Sun - 7-3ish

On weekends, the lessons are first thing in the morning. During the summer, it gets very hot, so sometimes the lessons start at 6am and everyone is basically finished by 11 or 12.

GGsuperpony
Mar. 30, 2009, 01:22 PM
Last show barn didn't have hours written down anywhere, but there were still "barn hours" if that makes sense! It was a show barn and not the kind of place at which you'd want to just hang out.

No one even went for unscheduled rides when I was there - you had two lessons and one or two scheduled group hacks a week and that is when you rode. Riding at other times wasn't against the rules, though, afaik. I rode outside those times once, a Friday night at 6pm after a week of bad weather. No one said anything to me about it and I didn't ask permission or anything.

That barn was closed on Mondays, and that meant no visiting, no riding, no lessons, no stopping in to pick up your saddle, no nothing. The gate was locked but even if you had a key you were supposed to stay out.

The trainer and his family lived on property so they did need some privacy. And injured/sick horses wouldn't be a concern because not only did they live in sight of the barn, there was always at least one groom living in the actual barn itself. No boarders did their own chores or hand-walking, etc, so not being allowed access to your horse for a day wasn't hard on anyone but me from what I could tell.

Go Fish
Mar. 30, 2009, 01:35 PM
Show barn. Open 24/7, 365 days a year. Trainer does not work Mondays. Groom does not work Sunday and Monday.

LDavis104
Mar. 30, 2009, 01:56 PM
This thread makes me love my barn owner even more - I would never get to see my horse with some of those barn hours... my barn doesn't have any particular hours.

Do those with barn hours such as 7-3 on the weekends... does that mean your barn OFFICE is closed, or no one allowed on the property after 3:00?

I like seeing these types of threads though because one day when my husband gets transferred I'll know what types of questions to ask when I go look at barns.

kellyb
Mar. 30, 2009, 02:00 PM
Currently I am riding at a C show barn. There are no hours. I understand why fancy show barns have hours and closed days, but that would not work for me. I'm a working adult and there are many days I don't even get TO the barn until 7pm. Same goes for weekends...some 2 hr period to ride in just doesn't work.

Mollitor
Mar. 30, 2009, 02:29 PM
my barn hours are:

Monday-Thursday: 8am-7:30pm
Fridays-8am-5:30pm
Sat-Sun:8am-3:00pm

Horses need their down time too,I suppose.

Although,if you ask ahead of time if you can come out and do what you need to do,My trainer isnt too pushy on the "out by 3pm".He figures,its your horse,you're paying him to care for it...so technically you are allowed to do what you please,but he suggest giving them that time to relax.

JustABay
Mar. 30, 2009, 02:36 PM
We don't have hours at my barn, and the BO often will stay late and hang out with us, or we will watch a movie in the lounge while she waits to do night check:D I do wish we had 'boarder times' and 'lesson kid times' though, it does get a little annoying when I come up to the farm to chill and there are a whole bunch of giggling kids in every available space in the barn

buck22
Mar. 30, 2009, 02:38 PM

Also, if your barn is closed on Mondays, what exactly does that mean - no riding OR riding is ok but no lessons OR not allowed on the property OR ?
I used to board in NY, that was the only place I ever stayed that had hours. All the other places I've boarded have been people's homes.

This barn was huge and a semi-show barn (mix of serious showing and pleasure owners back then)

Hours were 8am-9pm Tues thru Sat. You could show up as early as 7:30am but that was pointless as the crew was just showing up to hay and grain and water, so you were basically hanging around till 9am anyhow (if you tried to water, hay, grain your own horse ahead of schedule, it was chaos, with irate horses being fed out of order and the crew getting confused). BUT, when we were hauling someplace, you could show up whenever your heart desired. Typically, I left my rig sitting in parking lot ready to go the night before. Show up at around 4:30am, hay and grain and water our horses, pack the rig, pack the horses and go. Shows, etc, totally acceptable to show up whenever. And come home whenever, but if coming home late we always called the b/m to let them know. Someone always hung around to wait for us, just incase there was any trouble, etc. You didn't want to come home too late though, as the people waiting would be pretty grumpy.

In the evenings, no tacking up to ride after 8pm (If i showed up late I jumped on bareback just to scoot the rule). Lights out and leave the place at 9pm.

Sunday was 8-6pm, Monday closed. Horses were NOT turned out on Mondays and NOT given grain. I actually agreed with the no grain if no work, but it made it hard if you were giving your horse supplements. Stalls were mucked on Mondays, and horses had free choice hay all day. It worked out well back then.

There was never ever any issue with showing up to take care of your sick horse on a Monday, or off hours, etc. Never, totally understood. Just no riding, no kids, no dogs or pets, no friends, no hanging out chatting on Mondays and after hours because it was a skeleton crew and there was no one to help you if there was a problem.

It worked out good back then.

HowDoILook
Mar. 30, 2009, 02:39 PM
My barn is open from 8:30-6:30 in the Winter, 8-7:30 in the summer. The owner is really nice though so you can come a little early or stay a little later if need be. They live right above the barn and have 2 little kids so everyone tries to be out of there before bedtime ;)

The barn is closed on Mondays. Mostly as a day for the owner to catch up on everything and relaxed. After 2:30, boarders over the age of 18 are allowed to come, but the group that does come always goes out on a trail ride. But everyone tries to keep it easy that day, since its after horseshows.

The barn is also closed on the 4th of July (but everyone goes anyways b/c the owner invites everyone to a barbeque), thanksgiving, and chistmas.

superpony123
Mar. 30, 2009, 02:50 PM
my barn is a lesson and a show barn--we have some lesson kids and some schoolies but mostly we are boarders and leasers who go to A shows. there is no technical hour, but the BO's parents (who are very elderly and live in the middle of the property, their house is attached to one of the barns) as well as the BO (in another house) live on property, and do ask that everyone be out of the barn by 9pm unless you specifically have a reason (medical/vet emergency, etc.).

tuesday is kind of our monday--there are NO lessons on tuesdays, and only if you board your horse there you can ride on a tuesday.

kashmere
Mar. 30, 2009, 02:57 PM
Small semi-private barn. (Meaning that the BO lives on property, it is her home and not her business, but about half of the horses are now boarders)

There are no hours "set in stone" but BO is dilligent about either herself or me being the last one in the barn, so it's generally accepted that boarders should be out by 9:00-9:30pm. In the mornings, if you get there before 8:30am in the summer, and 9:00am in the winter, the horses wont yet be fed - so people tend to stay away 'til the beasts have had their breakfast.

make x it x so
Mar. 30, 2009, 03:10 PM
The barn I board at for winters (a lesson barn with a balance of show riders and non-show riders) is open from 8:00 am to 9:00 PM, I believe. Well, the indoor closes at 9- you can still be grooming shortly before/after these hours. Also, my trainer got permission from the BO to hold a group lessons EARRLYYY on Saturday mornings (lessons starting at 6 or 6:30!:eek:) so that we could jump some decent sized courses without getting in people's way.

On Mondays, the barn is closed EXCEPT for lessons- meaning you can only ride if you have a lesson that day. You are free to groom, but you basically aren't allowed to use any of the rings.

The barn I board at in spring/summer/fall is a private backyard place (my trainer's) with no set hours, but common sense and limited lighting arrangements keep people from coming too early or too late. It's not technically closed on Mondays, but I don't think anyone really rides because most of us show and have designated that as the horses' vacation day.

Horseymama
Mar. 30, 2009, 03:18 PM
We are the BO's and live on the property with our kids and there are no set barn hours. Clients can be here whenever they like or need. We sometimes do not work (lessons, riding) on Mondays after shows, however. But we don't have set lesson schedules with the clients, they contact us and make them week by week or monthly, so we let them know ahead of time when we will not be working.

I can't imagine closing off my facility to clients, I enjoy having people around. I wouldn't have them here at all if I didn't! That's part of the fun of having your own barn!

eqrider1234
Mar. 30, 2009, 03:45 PM
my barn has no hours, open 24-7 365 (at least for borders) :winkgrin:

Idk if i could handle not being able to do what I want, when I want.

lilbayhunter
Mar. 30, 2009, 04:04 PM
My barn is open 7 days a week. I think the hours are 9-9. The morning time doesn't get enforced, I come earlier all the time without asking and no one cares. I think the barn closes at 9, but I don't think it's strictly enforced. However, I do know they will say something if you are constantly there later than 9.

Ruby G. Weber
Mar. 30, 2009, 04:54 PM
We are a small show stable. No self service, the grooms do it all. We do have hours. The hours at home are for the benefit of the horses and the grooms. Both must work long, hard hours at the shows.

Even though we have "hours" we will work with clients who work, go to school, etc.

We live on the farm so are pretty much on duty 24/7.

Mimi La Rue
Mar. 30, 2009, 04:58 PM
My barn is open 24/7 with lights on all arenas. That is probably the main reason I will forever board there. I have been known to ride as late as 11pm some nights, usually on a rainy night because then I can have the big covered to myself and not have to dodge 25-40 horses being hacked in the arena during the more busy hours.

Paint Hunter/Jumper
Mar. 30, 2009, 05:07 PM

We dont have barn hours :D You can go anytime you want, and yes I do board at a show barn.

Barn is not closed on Mondays, but that is when trainer has off. So no lessons.

Nikatika011
Mar. 30, 2009, 05:35 PM
I currently ride, board, and work at a showbarn in upstate new york. At our barn, there are no specific hours, but the manager likes to know about when you're going to come, and all the horses must be ridden in lessons, have a schooling ride, or be owner-ridden at least five or six days a week. it seems odd to me that any barn would have hours as long as you leave everything how you came. :confused:

meupatdoes
Mar. 30, 2009, 06:06 PM
Yeah, I have to do this funny little thing called "work" so that I can actually earn my income before shuttling a financially unhealthy proportion of it toward the horses, so if I am not able to be **finished** by 7:30 in the morning or **starting** at eight pm during the week then none of that income gets shuttled.

My work is already pretty awesome about not being a 'face time' place so as long as my work gets done and no one wants anything from me I can roll in at 10:30 after two hours of roundtrip driving, two hours of grooming and riding two horses, and an hour of train commuting, but if I waltzed in and was like, "Excuuuuuse me my trainer would like me to be at the barn by 5pm for my lesson so do you mind if I just skip out at 2:30" I think their response would be swift and unfavorable to my interests.

saultgirl
Mar. 30, 2009, 06:09 PM
Although,if you ask ahead of time if you can come out and do what you need to do,My trainer isnt too pushy on the "out by 3pm".He figures,its your horse,you're paying him to care for it...so technically you are allowed to do what you please,but he suggest giving them that time to relax.

I find that a bit odd... can't your horse relax during the other 22 hours per day when you're not around?

cherham
Mar. 30, 2009, 06:29 PM
I own and operate a small private facility...only 5 boarders max plus my own. Although this is my home my barn is open 365 days of the year (and yes I do have two boarders that ride on Christmas day) and the horses are on a regular year round schedule. It is the same routine every single day, feed at specific times, regular all day turnout every day and the barn cleaned exactly the same every single day. I do not have posted hours but night check is completed at 10:00 pm so I expect everyone done by then. My horses are fed at 6:00 am and turned out by 7:00 am. The barn is cleaned, swept and tidy and my farm manager is done all her morning chores by 8:00 or 8:15 so even the early birds have the full access to the facility without the clutter of unswept aisles or wheelbarrows etc.

As a shift worker I cannot imagine being told that I could not ride on Mondays (which could very well by MY Saturday) or to be out of a barn by 6:00 pm at night. Heavens I could just be getting off work at 6:00 pm and not be able to make it to the barn until 8:00 pm or later. I recognize that horses need their rest and I totally understand that but some of these barn hours and closed days just does not accomodate the vast majority of horse owners who have to work to afford the luxury of boarding a horse.

justathought
Mar. 30, 2009, 06:30 PM
There are no restrictions for boarders in terms of time - just clean up after yourself/horse & make sure everything is locked. They have the philosophy that boarders are really like "part owners" of the facility. It is very respectful & everyone seems to appreciate it

There IS the expectation that you won't ride in the indoor while a lesson is going on, unless you have express permission in advance & a "practice" is listed on the schedule. Lessons are every day of the week except Monday. Monday is absolutely fine for boarders to come out, ride, hang out, etc.

How does not riding during a lesson work? Even with only boarders, what with school and jobs most lessons and the times available to ride conflict.... just curious. We have a "right of way to the lesson rule" instead.

Dooner
Mar. 30, 2009, 06:48 PM
I get the reasoning, but I would have to really trust any place that told me I was unwelcome on the property for a whole day every week.

TSWJB
Mar. 30, 2009, 06:50 PM
I understand why fancy show barns have hours and closed days, but that would not work for me. .
i dont understand? can you explain it to me?
i never understand the whole, barn is closed on mondays thing. barn owner needs privacy, need to schedule farrier and vet etc. so what? if you really need your privacy, dont run a boarding barn. and people cant work around a farrier being in the barn?
i understand reasonable hours like staying open until 9pm weekdays and 7pm weekends. but people have lives they have alot of things going on. most people i know work a 8:30 to 5pm with overtime jobs. then they have to commute to the barn. this is our enjoyment. then to hurry you out of the barn because barn owner needs privacy. like i said, dont run a barn then.
i used to always give my horse off on mondays anyway. but then we got a boat. and i go down the shore all weekend and it was a major pain to try to get enough riding time in when i only could ride tues-friday. if my horse got off all weekend why cant i come ride my horse on monday? i really got tired of the barn rule of no riding on mondays.
i now board at a place that has hours 9am -9pm monday -sunday. and if i want to come on christmas or thanksgiving or whatever i am allowed to come see my horse! i love it. and the owner lets you leave later if you have to as long as you are quiet and close up the barn. if i am going to be later, i let the owners know of my plans out of respect. just so they do not have to worry about who is coming down the driveway so late. and i am quiet and turn off the lights and quietly drive out of the driveway.
i now will not board at places with so many restrictions. to me if you are offering a boarding barn, do not complain about wanting your privacy. dont offer boarding then.

TSWJB
Mar. 30, 2009, 06:58 PM
my barn hours are:

Monday-Thursday: 8am-7:30pm
Fridays-8am-5:30pm
Sat-Sun:8am-3:00pm

Horses need their down time too,I suppose.

but he suggest giving them that time to relax.
isnt that more like a retirement farm? where the horses relax?
with these barn hours, i would never get to ride my horse. maybe on a saturday after picking up the dry cleaning, going to the bank etc, and all the chores that i never have time to do during the week due to working! i really wonder how people can fill a barn with these types of hours.
my horse relaxes from 9pm until 7pm every day! i think he can handle 2 hours of working when i have to work approx 9 hours a day. and i really dont think the other horses care that i am in the barn at 7pm.

Tini Sea Soldier
Mar. 30, 2009, 08:19 PM
I don't have any problems with barn hours.
I mean, I pay to belong to a gym... and they have hours...
I pay for doggie daybare or boarding... and they have hours...
Why should it be any different for my horse? I am entrusting him to others when I cannot be there. Otherwise, we'd all have our horses at home!

As for barn owners/trainers/managers needing privacy... I think everyone is missing the point. It's a LIABILITY when people are riding and no one is on the property. Being strapped to your home for 24 hours a day simply isn't feasible. You can say "Ride At Your Own Risk"... but in the wake up what happened to Natasha Richardson, I think we can all agree that head injuries require immediate attention... and barn hours keeps the riders AND the barn owners/operators safer, in my opinion. Knowing that if I'm still there at 9pm... someone will come down to find out why... makes me alot more comfortable than wondering if I fall off and can't get back up, when someone will find me.

Besides, it's a public facility... so it's what's best for everyone, not just one or 2. If all the horses are working during the day... they deserve a full night's rest w.o midnight interruptions, as well.

Plus, barn electricity isn't cheap... so I'm sure it's a cost-saving measure also.

Finally, I don't know that I'd be crazy having a barn where people can be milling around at all hours without anyone caring.

Ever go to a 24 hour supermarket? There's definitely a witching hour!!!! Having a facility where young women and girls are known to be alone or in small groups overnight isn't probably something that should be advertised to the general public... especially with so many creeps out there.

meupatdoes
Mar. 30, 2009, 08:31 PM
Having a facility where young women and girls are known to be alone or in small groups overnight isn't probably something that should be advertised to the general public... especially with so many creeps out there.

Are you serious?

We should close barns for the safety of the wimmins?

??!

You know, New York City has a facility where young women and girls are known to be alone or in small groups overnight.

It's called the subway.

(Now I'm going to explain to my work that I need to be home before dark.)

Tini Sea Soldier
Mar. 30, 2009, 08:36 PM
Are you serious?

We should close barns for the safety of the wimmins?

??!

You know, New York City has a facility where young women and girls are known to be alone or in small groups overnight.

It's called the subway.

(Now I'm going to explain to my work that I need to be home before dark.)

Funny.. I worked in the city for years... we weren't allowed to go home after 10 on the subway.. it's called CAR SERVICE... for exactly that reason.

flash1
Mar. 30, 2009, 08:38 PM
Open 24/7 I guess...never been there past about 9pm... but never been told we cant be...yes show barn ..

meupatdoes
Mar. 30, 2009, 09:05 PM
Funny.. I worked in the city for years... we weren't allowed to go home after 10 on the subway.. it's called CAR SERVICE... for exactly that reason.

Oh for Christ's sake.

Yeah, we have the car service option where I work too, but I still manage to make it home via the subway, the PATH, and my feet like a normal person.

I must be amazing.

Dun Ciarain
Mar. 30, 2009, 09:11 PM
isnt that more like a retirement farm? where the horses relax?
with these barn hours, i would never get to ride my horse. maybe on a saturday after picking up the dry cleaning, going to the bank etc, and all the chores that i never have time to do during the week due to working! i really wonder how people can fill a barn with these types of hours.
my horse relaxes from 9pm until 7pm every day! i think he can handle 2 hours of working when i have to work approx 9 hours a day. and i really dont think the other horses care that i am in the barn at 7pm.

Some people are at show barns that are full service facilities. The facility I was at had about 40 horses and about 20 clients. And it is always full. Yes, the adults clients who ride there do work - it is just that they have flexibility in their work schedules. I rode two weekday mornings a week - and still put in 40 -80+ hours a week working. This type of facility is not for everyone. Do you expect the trainers and grooms to work 14 hours a day/7 days a week?

Dun Ciarain
Mar. 30, 2009, 09:17 PM
i now will not board at places with so many restrictions. to me if you are offering a boarding barn, do not complain about wanting your privacy. dont offer boarding then.

There is a big difference between a boarding barn and an active show barn as the poster was commenting on. No one is forcing anyone to go with a particular barn.

meupatdoes
Mar. 30, 2009, 09:19 PM
Some people are at show barns that are full service facilities. The facility I was at had about 40 horses and about 20 clients. And it is always full. Yes, the adults clients who ride there do work - it is just that they have flexibility in their work schedules. I rode two weekday mornings a week - and still put in 40 -80+ hours a week working. This type of facility is not for everyone. Do you expect the trainers and grooms to work 14 hours a day/7 days a week?

No, but I would expect the place to "let" me show up and tack up my own horse if I need to ride at 5am outside of the full service hours.

It is actually possible to tack up and put away your own horse and ride without the trainer present, you know.

(But otoh, if you were putting in 80+ hours a week, you were working 14 hours a day seven days a week so why should you be the only one?)

Dun Ciarain
Mar. 30, 2009, 09:34 PM
No, but I would expect the place to "let" me show up and tack up my own horse if I need to ride at 5am outside of the full service hours.

It is actually possible to tack up and put away your own horse and ride without the trainer present, you know.

(But otoh, if you were putting in 80+ hours a week, you were working 14 hours a day seven days a week so why should you be the only one?)

Yes, I usually work 7 days a week and many days 12+ hours a day (sometimes it is hard to remember what day of the week it is because weeks don't begin or end). I work that hard because it is a long term project with substantial upside potential. After an extended amount of time, it is a burnout working that many hours and I understand why most people couldn't or don't want to do it.

The facility I was at had zoning restrictions that didn't allow for lighted arenas, so at 5am, it would be pitch black in the arenas.

Yes, I know how to ride and take care of a horse without a trainer present.

meupatdoes
Mar. 30, 2009, 09:41 PM
Yes, I usually work 7 days a week and many days 12+ hours a day (sometimes it is hard to remember what day of the week it is because weeks don't begin or end). I work that hard because it is a long term project with substantial upside potential. After an extended amount of time, it is a burnout working that many hours and I understand why most people couldn't or don't want to do it.

The facility I was at had zoning restrictions that didn't allow for lighted arenas, so at 5am, it would be pitch black in the arenas.

Yes, I know how to ride and take care of a horse without a trainer present.

None of which answers the question whether it is NOT ALLOWED for you to tack up your own horse outside of the full service hours, in which case your "It is a full service facility, that is why there are restrictions" makes sense, or if you simply don't feel like tacking up your own horse so that means the grooms' hours become the barn hours because no one would be around to tack up your horse if you showed up any earlier and you DON'T FEEL LIKE it, not because you AREN'T ALLOWED.

I don't like to ride outside in the rain.
This does not mean there is a barn rule that I am not allowed to ride outside in the rain.
It just means I don't like to get wet.

(And nobody needs to tell me any tales of how pitch black it is at 5am (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/meupatdoes/Jinxy/DSC03648.jpg).)

Wizard of Oz's
Mar. 30, 2009, 09:59 PM
I ride at a show barn but it's a little more relaxed than some others. We don't have set barn hours, though kids aren't allowed to ride unless and adult is there somewhere at the barn. Before like 8am and after 8pm the gate is closed but it's automatic and the boarders are the only ones who have the code so we can come and go as we please. I usually ride at 6am in the summers and nobody has any problems with it.

Dun Ciarain
Mar. 30, 2009, 10:55 PM
None of which answers the question whether it is NOT ALLOWED for you to tack up your own horse outside of the full service hours, in which case your "It is a full service facility, that is why there are restrictions" makes sense, or if you simply don't feel like tacking up your own horse so that means the grooms' hours become the barn hours because no one would be around to tack up your horse if you showed up any earlier and you DON'T FEEL LIKE it, not because you AREN'T ALLOWED.

I don't like to ride outside in the rain.
This does not mean there is a barn rule that I am not allowed to ride outside in the rain.
It just means I don't like to get wet.

(And nobody needs to tell me any tales of how pitch black it is at 5am (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/meupatdoes/Jinxy/DSC03648.jpg).)

For starters, the barn is on site of a substantial horse show facility that has its own restrictions on hours, etc.

Second, the full service hours were the hours the barn was open. You had to declare ahead of time when you were going to ride. All of the horses there are in full training. Weekends usually had specific lesson times when you would ride with others in the barn at your level. You were expected to ride in the Saturday group lessons if you were riding on Saturday. The people with multiple horses would ride with the group at their horse's level. They are very successful and have a fairly rigid program. Showing up outside of regular hours or doing your own thing was not an available option.

Third, I like to tack up my horse - it took some time to get used to not doing it.

Finally, as I said before, this type of program isn't for everybody nor is it intended to be.

Chall
Mar. 30, 2009, 11:12 PM
Barn #1 closed at dark, no night riding no indoor.No lights.
Barn #2- Mondays closed. Nice for the school horses who got turned out then and got a break from the hoards
Barn #3- Retirement, had to call 24 hrs earlier to get in, but somehow gates were always locked and I had to climb fence anyway. :(
Barn #4 - only has two boarders. (My guys are retired). No hours but they really prefer to see people only on weekends. I always feel like I'm intruding.
Since I can't keep my horses near me (too expensive) it's all moot.

TSWJB
Mar. 31, 2009, 09:28 AM
Barn #3- Retirement, had to call 24 hrs earlier to get in, but somehow gates were always locked and I had to climb fence anyway. :(
that is funny!

TSWJB
Mar. 31, 2009, 09:36 AM

i totally agree! g%od forbid you had to tack up yourself!
it seems like many posters think that people who want to ride at 5am or 8pm are just lazy. i mean they could just go into work late. or they could get to work early so they can leave at 2pm to make it easy for the poor barn staff.
well guess what? a few years ago i was interviewing. i tried to get a job with flex time. what i found out was the jobs actually required more hours than i presently work. so i would hardly ever get to ride. so i stayed at my job. which is extremely inflexible. you have to be there from 8:30am until 5pm. and most people do not leave at 5pm due to it looks bad racing out the door the minute the clock strikes five! and then i have to battle the traffic. which makes a 35 minute commute into well over an hour plus!
and those worrying about liability. there is always liability having people ride on your property, whether its at 5am 12pm 3pm or 8pm.

Gwendolyn
Mar. 31, 2009, 10:07 AM
EVERY barn I've ever been at has been "open" 24/7. Most of them have been smaller facilities, but some large show barns also. I would be PISSED if I couldn't come out a certain day (this includes major holidays). Most barn owners are understanding, as I do partial care, but even the full care boarders come out. 90% of the time, I am the last one at the barn, even after the owners. All the boarders have the gate lock combination and we come and go as we please.

It bothers me that people say "the horses need a day off." If you know ANYTHING about horse ownership, you know that the horse needs a day off. It is the owner's responsibility to make a schedule for their horse. If that means the horse is off on the weekend, and gets ridden on Monday, so what?

As long as the barn is closed up and the gate locked, I see no problem with coming and going as you please. (and yes, I have run boarding barns before ;) )

LookinSouth
Mar. 31, 2009, 10:33 AM
It is the owner's responsibility to make a schedule for their horse. If that means the horse is off on the weekend, and gets ridden on Monday, so what?

I agree. I think I would avoid boarding at a facility that was closed on Monday's for boarders to ride, I can understand the trainer having Monday off but the boarders should still be able to ride their own horses. My horse has a different riding schedule every week. It would be difficult to schedule my riding time around a closed on Monday policy.

scheibyee
Mar. 31, 2009, 11:05 AM
My barn is generally open from 8-9 Tuesday through Sunday. Mondays the barn is closed. This mostly means the horses have the day off on Monday. The clients mostly stick to a training schedule worked out with our trainer which leaves Monday as their day off. Of course it's possible that you can't get there sometime during the week or you showed Saturday so your horse had Sunday off, so some people do ride Mondays but our trainer isn't out there. The farrier always comes on mondays as well. It's not too strict but the BO doesn't like it when people are riding too late because she likes the nightcheck to take care of all of the horses after they've been worked to make sure everything is alright. Also it is a liability to have someone riding when no one is in or around the barn just in case something were to happen. During normal full service hours someone would most likely see a riderless horse going around the ring or coming down past the barn or if the rider doesn't come in from the ring for an extended period of time, at 11 o'clock at night no one would be there to help.

Ruby G. Weber
Mar. 31, 2009, 12:11 PM
Everyone deserves/needs a day off! ...and on the 7th day He rested.

For those of you who reason you have the right to check on your horse's welfare on a daily basis, who looks after that horse when you are sick/go on vacation/have more pressing obligations? Not trying to anger anyone here, just pointing out the other side of the coin.

The insurance thing is a valid argument as well. Insurance can be complicated. Unless you have read your BO's policy you don't know what restrictions may apply.

And BO's have/need a life. They are "on duty" 24/7 for the horse. They should command a little respect/peace and quiet -one day of the week - from their human counterparts.

Ozone
Mar. 31, 2009, 12:22 PM
Monday through Sunday 8AM to 8PM - the 8PM rule does not apply on lesson nights.

The ONLY reason the barn has an 8 to 8 is that the horses eat at 6:30AM and we want them to enjoy and finish and digest their food before owner comes to ride.

The 8PM is because owner lives on premises and it is not fair that owner has to go up in the middle of the night because someone left a light on. So 8PM is the last check of the night and you are out.

I would NEVER board at a place where there are closed days or holidays. I am paying for access to my horse 365/year. If you want to cut my board for all the MOndays and Holidays that I cannot see/ride/what have you my horse then I *may* consider it ... but I doubt it!

TSWJB
Mar. 31, 2009, 12:46 PM
Monday through Sunday 8AM to 8PM - the 8PM rule does not apply on lesson nights.
The 8PM is because owner lives on premises and it is not fair that owner has to go up in the middle of the night because someone left a light on. So 8PM is the last check of the night and you are out.

i boarded at a fancy place. they have hours until they said approx 8pm. they knew that it took me an hour and 20 minutes with traffic most nights. and i work a job with non flexible hours. so as long as i shut the barn up properly, they didnt care. now i am sure if i left lights on even once, didnt shut the gates across the doors in the summer or close doors in the winter, i probably would have lost my rights to ride later. its about being an adult. and if you need to be spoonfed and you are irresponsible, then yeah have early barn hours.
my feelings still are, dont run a barn if you dont like people on your property.

Gwendolyn
Mar. 31, 2009, 01:39 PM
No one looks after my horse when I am sick. I go to the barn when I'm sick. Occasionally, I'll call another boarder to do it. Same with vacation. I was gone for a weekend and asked a fellow boarder to look after my horse (mainly because I don't fully trust the BO's, but that's a whole other story!). I have no more pressing matters. My horse is like my child. She comes first. Maybe if I had children I would feel differently about my horse.....hence the reason I don't want children.

If you are a BO, that is your RESPONSIBILITY to be there 24/7. Again, as others have said, if you don't want to have that responsibility, don't be a BO. A BO has just as much right as anyone else to hire a worker for Mondays and not be at the barn.

Also, unless the BO lives IN the barn, I find it hard to believe that someone at the barn on any given day/time would be a nuisance (barring leaving a light on/gate open, etc.)

snaffles
Mar. 31, 2009, 02:03 PM
Show Barn
Closed Monday
Open 12:00 P.M. to 3 P.M.
yes, you read that right, 3 hours a day.
needless to say, I left.

TheOrangeOne
Apr. 1, 2009, 02:50 AM
Show Barn
Closed Monday
Open 12:00 P.M. to 3 P.M.
yes, you read that right, 3 hours a day.
needless to say, I left.

Snaffles, do/did we ride with the same trainer? Can't be two of them in VA :lol: I keep my horse up the road and ship in.

Wonders12
Apr. 1, 2009, 04:34 AM
Wow, I could never imagine being told I can't see my horse for a whole day. I understand that "gyms" etc have hours but my horse (like someone mentioned) is like my child. As a college student every day is a different class schedule. This semester, my horse gets Thursdays off. When we have Monday holidays, I love to spend all day at the barn! :D

The barn I board at is a mid-sized mainly western (I ride hunters) show barn. Boarders/ leasers only. The posted hours are like 7am-8pm I think, but most people are out by dark. The indoor and 1 barn has lights, but there are none near my horse. You're free to be there any day and stay later, the BO just might give you a hard time (jokingly) if it's a holiday or something. He's the rough cowboy type.

Someone mentioned having to REALLY trust the BO to be kept out on Mondays. I agree. I was concerned my horse wasn't getting enough hay, so I started randomly showing up around feeding time. Problem solved. :yes:

I've been at barns "closed" Monday meaning the trainer is off duty, but boarders are always welcome. I realize there's liability, but I often ride alone and I love it. I understand it's not always the smartest thing, but I appreciate that it's an OPTION if I want it.

Jsalem
Apr. 1, 2009, 06:59 AM
We're a show barn with lots of kids. Because we're gone so much on the weekends, our regular teaching days are Monday through Thursday afternoons. If we closed on Mondays, we'd never get our lessons done. Of course, the horses that have shown rest on Mondays, so often that day is light.

The only closed hours we insist upon are during the summer. We close for lunch between 1:30 and 3:30. Before we did this, we found that the kids came and took their lessons or rode in the am and then spent hours and hours being underfoot and making a mess around the barn. The grooms couldn't even get the turned out horses down the aisle and into the washracks to hose them off after turnout for all the kids' ponies just sitting on the cross ties. They would do a sweep down the aisle cleaning up soda bottles, polo wraps, lead ropes, etc just to have a new wave of *&%^ deposited within the hour. Sure, we require kids to clean up after themselves. Do they? No. During the summer, there was never a moments peace and quiet for the staff or the horses. So now, we close for lunch. It's lovely. Do all the parents love it? No. Now they can't drop their kids off for 8 hours a day. But it was my sanity or theirs.

Tini Sea Soldier
Apr. 1, 2009, 11:07 AM
We're a show barn with lots of kids. Because we're gone so much on the weekends, our regular teaching days are Monday through Thursday afternoons. If we closed on Mondays, we'd never get our lessons done. Of course, the horses that have shown rest on Mondays, so often that day is light.

The only closed hours we insist upon are during the summer. We close for lunch between 1:30 and 3:30. Before we did this, we found that the kids came and took their lessons or rode in the am and then spent hours and hours being underfoot and making a mess around the barn. The grooms couldn't even get the turned out horses down the aisle and into the washracks to hose them off after turnout for all the kids' ponies just sitting on the cross ties. They would do a sweep down the aisle cleaning up soda bottles, polo wraps, lead ropes, etc just to have a new wave of *&%^ deposited within the hour. Sure, we require kids to clean up after themselves. Do they? No. During the summer, there was never a moments peace and quiet for the staff or the horses. So now, we close for lunch. It's lovely. Do all the parents love it? No. Now they can't drop their kids off for 8 hours a day. But it was my sanity or theirs.

I always thought there should be a "day rate" for children under age 14 that are dumped at the barn all day. Now, granted, this is slightly hypocritical being that I was one of them when I was a kid... but we were also working half the time bc we were obsessed with being around horses. The kids I see now just "park the pony"... mess around with their friends on their cell phones... barely groom parked pony... hop on for awhile... then come back.. hose pony... and let it resume it's parked position to air dry while they continue their party with their friends.

The parents that don't sign their kids up for camp and just drop them off to hang all day should really be charged. If your 10 yr old gets hurt, someone is gonna have to care for them... they're not independant and can't be left to go ride by themselves. People are left to remain on the property or nearby while they ride bc it's a liability, and no matter how many signs are up that say "no riding alone if under age 18", kids don't get it, think they're invincible and will do it regardless... it's great that the kid is ambitious, but not fair to those who aren't getting compensated for babysitting your kid.

Jsalem
Apr. 1, 2009, 11:32 AM
Yep, you got it. I, too, was a barn rat that was at the barn all day. I'd love to be able to welcome the kids for the entire summer. But what I found was that I just couldn't provide the safe, clean, professional environment without great cost to myself and my staff. This modest solution really saved the day. I tell my parents that they can take the kids out to lunch or a movie and come back in the afternoon if they wish, but the barn has quiet, staff time for lunch. Period. And the horses do rest quietly during that time- asleep in front of their fans.

I wouldn't hesitate to institute a closing time in the PM if clients took advantage of our open door policy. What clients have to realize is that while they expect to have unlimited freedom to use the facility and visit their pet- the business owner is "on duty" during those times, keeping an ear cocked for trouble, cleaning up behind the clients (gates closed, blankets on, lights off, etc). Everyone wants to believe that they're no trouble, but honestly just keeping that eye open is work.

findeight
Apr. 1, 2009, 11:45 AM
Big show barn, full care. Full time adult professional staff.

About 9 to 8 Tuesday thru Friday-9 to 6pm weekends. Closed Mondays and a few major holidays.

A couple of reasons...one is the insurance requirement of a paid staffer on premises when anybody is there for any reason. In the past, they have had a shift putting a worker there on some of those holidays or later in the evening-either nobody showed up or there was only one or two and that did not justify paying a worker to be there.

The morning hours allow for feeding and morning muckout with the tractor/spreader down the aisle unimpeded. But doubt anybody would say anything if somebody did come a bit earlier. The evening is pretty much etched in stone as that 8pm closer comes in at 11:30am and needs to go home.

Mondays allows for a single shift to muck, clean and turn out as well as a day for major repairs and the vet to attend to various procedures best done without interruption.

The hours are clearly posted and on all the contracts so if it does not work for you, you are not trapped into it.

Trixie
Apr. 1, 2009, 11:58 AM
We rent a private facility where the owners live on the property, so it's never "closed" though we try not to stay later than around 10 out of respect for their personal time.

My trainer, who is a show barn, and previous barns I've been at generally close between 9-10. I did ride at one for a while that was 24/7 and it was greatly convenient, although I was warned that "no one would be around at all hours."

Definitely couldn't abide by a barn that closed at 7 or 8. I get that trainers need their downtime and whatnot, but I work for a living and this is Northern Virginia, there's no way I'm commuting 45 minutes to the farm at 5 a.m. just to sit in rush hour traffic 2 hours back. Plus, it takes me a good amount of time to get out there after leaving work at 5:30 or 6.

findeight
Apr. 1, 2009, 12:31 PM
Not just the trainers downtime, it's paying a staffer to be there...and if the barn is open...say...from 7am to 11 pm, that's somebody on a third shift that won't come in before 2pm or so.

That adds to the cost of operation and is passed on to boarders in a bigger barn with all adult, regular paid employees just like any other business.

Smaller barns or those that have somebody living on premises who is willing to take on the job of being being the responsible party on premises for 16-18 hours a day can swing more generous hours...so can those that overlook insurance requirments-or don't have any.

Also, barns that don't do any heavy training can schedual to open later and stay open later in the evening...not possible with 10 or more needing to be ridden before a heavy lesson schedual starts around 3pm.

Trixie
Apr. 1, 2009, 01:04 PM
Around here, like most metropolitan areas, one needs to keep in mind the hours of their clientele. A barn that's open until 7 will simply miss out on a lot of clients, since your average working adult around here works from 8:30 or 9 until 5 or 6, easily. Factor in commute from the city and they just can't GET there by then.

7 a.m. around here doesn't work either, as most adults that live in areas where most barns are located need to be showered and out the door by then, or at least close to ready to leave for the office. Getting tacked and ready at 7 and riding until 8 or 9 still puts most folks in their office at 10 or 11, minimum.

Of course, if none of your clientele works for a living, I'm sure being open from 7-7 is just fine.

meupatdoes
Apr. 1, 2009, 01:30 PM
Not just the trainers downtime, it's paying a staffer to be there

Once again, it is actually possible for someone to enter a barn, tack up, ride and put away their own horse, without supervision and without burning the place down. Someone who can master those advanced skills can also sweep up the grooming stall when they're done, turn off lights, close doors, and maybe even top off buckets or throw some hay. They might even notice if a horse is looking a little off, or that somebody pooped in their bucket and didn't get to drink anything all night. Horses do not wait until business hours to colic.

What is horsemanship coming to when people feel it is MANDATORY to have a groom or trainer around because the clients are (at least according to the people who insist on this rule) too dumb, irresponsible, or clueless to do otherwise? Those owners could be considered competent, or even a valuable extra set of eyes in the quiet hours, but instead they are considered a liability that needs babysitting.

Maybe we really are creating a generation of riders whose horsemanship consists solely of taking the reins and handing them back.

findeight
Apr. 1, 2009, 01:55 PM
Jeesh...this is not DC and most of the adults easily make it by 5:30 or so.

And the INSURANCE requires a paid staffer on hand. They do NOT help. And it is not just liability for injury, it's theft and assorted other nasty possibilities the insurance underwriter wants to squash. Never had any problems and maybe this is part of why.

The barn runs a AA string plus a healthy local circuit string and handles alot of sale horses, some priced right up there. That does influence who is there when.

If I was a barn in the DC, NYC, LA or SF Bay area...I'd stay open later to accomodate more clients. But here in a middle sized midwest city? Not so much of an issue.

For those that don't like it, there are other barns in the area...but few commercial boarding or boarding/training barns around here that are open past 9pm.

dghunter
Apr. 1, 2009, 01:57 PM
So for those who have very limited barn hours, there is someone who is being paid to be there during that time? Like not once during those hours is the barn empty? So is it an insurance thing in that case? Like does the insurance say that someone *has* to be there if someone is riding? I'm trying to be snotty, I'm just really curious. I almost always ride alone and am there alone because I'm a college student so my breaks are early afternoon whereas everyone else's are late at night.

findeight
Apr. 1, 2009, 02:02 PM
Have no idea about anybody else's barn but yes, my barn requires a paid staffer (groom, office person are fine, not necessarily a trainer) on the property during posted hours-whether anybody is riding or not. Somebody has to physically be there. And, yeah, that's as per the insurance company.

Oh...and IMO these hours are not that limited compared to other barns in this area at 9 to 8 weekdays, 9 to 6 weekends closed Mondays. That's actually better then average around here for a lesson/training barn and in the ballpark with even the bigger boarding barns.

I do understand a barn that closes at 3pm or is only open half a day on weekends, especially in a major metropoliton area, is a PITA.

dghunter
Apr. 1, 2009, 02:16 PM
Have no idea about anybody else's barn but yes, my barn requires a paid staffer (groom, office person are fine, not necessarily a trainer) on the property during posted hours-whether anybody is riding or not. Somebody has to physically be there. And, yeah, that's as per the insurance company.

Oh...and IMO these hours are not that limited compared to other barns in this area at 9 to 8 weekdays, 9 to 6 weekends closed Mondays. That's actually better then average around here for a lesson/training barn and in the ballpark with even the bigger boarding barns.

I do understand a barn that closes at 3pm or is only open half a day on weekends, especially in a major metropoliton area, is a PITA.

Interesting :yes: I'd be really interested to read my BO's insurance policy and see what they state as there is almost never anyone there when I am during the day.

findeight
Apr. 1, 2009, 02:23 PM
Interesting :yes: I'd be really interested to read my BO's insurance policy and see what they state as there is almost never anyone there when I am during the day.

Policies can be very different depending on the nature of the barn and what the insurance needs to potentially cover..I mentioned before, mine does alot of sale horses, some at hefty prices. A smaller barn may not carry the same coverage if there are no expensive sale horses owned by absentee owners 6 states away.

Have a hunch alot of barns, especially the lower end or smaller places sort of sidestep the wording in the policy. Big barns cannot afford to take the chance.

Dun Ciarain
Apr. 1, 2009, 02:26 PM
I don't understand why some people can't grasp the concept that there are show barns with more restricted hours and yes, they do have grooms that tack-up the horses.

The show barn I was at was full-service and every single horse was in full training. Yes, they tack-up your horse for you - that's just the way it works there. There are no options to be in partial training or no tack-up, etc. There is one program, no horses or people get more or less or better or worse treatment. Horses on extended lay-up are sent to their other facility that is outside of the metropolitan area. No horse ever sits in its stall all day. If you don't show up or call, they exercise the horse (no, they don't just have the grooms lunge them). Turnouts in this area are very restricted due to the high cost of land. This is their program. They are a very, very successful barn. There are plenty of other facilities for boarders or show barns with longer hours.

meupatdoes
Apr. 1, 2009, 02:38 PM

I'd be really interested in reading the insurance policy findeight is referring to.

IME "liability" and "insurance" are two of the handiest excuses in the horse industry.

Somebody wants to come ride my horse and I don't want to tell them, "No, because you ride like crap."?
"Oh, I would love to but my barn owner's insurance policy doesn't allow it."

My financial planner wants to 'come see the horses' and I secretly suspect he is trying to date me...wanna bet how fast I blathered something about "liability"?
Works like a charm.

Not saying that I don't believe it's in that policy, but just mentioning that it would be very easy for any barn owner to use it as an excuse.

And Dun, please.
I understand the concept.
My understanding of the concept leads me to wonder things like, "Maybe we really are creating a generation of riders whose sole practice of horsemanship consists of taking the reins and handing them back."

findeight
Apr. 1, 2009, 02:51 PM
I don't think they are making it up as it requires them to hire and train help to cover it. I also don't think it would be different without the liability issues as they take care of horses owned by others and all the tack and equipment that goes with them seriously. They run a training operation, not a general boarding barn geared to meeting everybody else's needs hour and supervision wise.

You cannot assume that just because you are capable of riding on your own, are honest and don't drag assorted others out with you to "hang out" while you ride all other clients will be the same..and if you can be there whenever you want, they can too.

My past experiences after 40 years boarding out have taught me I want a closely supervised, professionally run operation that provides a safe environment for my horse-and that includes somebody on the property during posted hours.

Nothing like Susie getting her drivers license and showing up at 10pm with 3 non horsey friends to "hang out" and "visit the horses". And that's exactly how several got out one night at a previous barn.

And, again, nobody helps tack up or anything of the sort. They just need to be there.

dghunter
Apr. 1, 2009, 03:36 PM
Policies can be very different depending on the nature of the barn and what the insurance needs to potentially cover..I mentioned before, mine does alot of sale horses, some at hefty prices. A smaller barn may not carry the same coverage if there are no expensive sale horses owned by absentee owners 6 states away.

Have a hunch alot of barns, especially the lower end or smaller places sort of sidestep the wording in the policy. Big barns cannot afford to take the chance.

Yeah my barn has 17 horses, all boarders and a lot don't even ride (older horses, baby horses, etc...) Some are on full-care (ie: stalls are cleaned for them) Others are on partial care (ie: they do their own stalls). My trainer's barn is a big show barn though they don't do a lot of sales. I'll have to ask him when he's out what his barn hours are like and why. His barn is owned by one person but that is all they do, just own it. They have other people who work there. I have a horse who can work himself into a colic during storms so I like being able to come out there late at night to check on him if it is very bad out (wind is especially bad for him) and I used to almost always stop by on my way home from BF's house at night because the barn was on my way. I'd just check and make sure everyone was okay, refill some water buckets, etc...

Trixie
Apr. 1, 2009, 04:17 PM
I can grasp the concept. I would consider boarding at one of these simply because time, unfortunately, is limited. And I'm perfectly capable of grooming and tacking my horses. Of course, I'd have to trust the management implicitly, as there are obviously horror stories. Because of that, I can understand it from the other side, where riders are skeptical of barns who don't allow folks to see their horse at frequent intervals.

I was just making the point that in MY area, it's pretty difficult for most riders that work all the time to get out to a farm by 5:30. Hell, I leave my office at 5:30 most days and I'm not out of the CITY some days until 6 (and it's NOT THAT FAR). And nearly any decent barn is at least 40 minutes from the city, traffic notwithstanding, and there's ALWAYS traffic.

Some days I quite envy those of you in the midwest who have less issues with traffic and an overabundance of sprawl, making what USED to be a 30 minute drive into a 2-hour commute. Or when I've been sitting here for an hour trying to go a mile. Around here, if we want to see our horses, we need some flexibility from our trainers and boarding barn staff.

JollyBadger
Apr. 1, 2009, 04:27 PM
I do not board at a show barn. It's mostly made up of recreational riders, many of whom are the kind who show up one weekend a month, and only when the weather is warm, skies are clear, and there aren't too many bugs. ;)

The other half of the "business" is a guided trail riding service (farm property borders a state park), so in the warmer months that is usually pretty busy. Occasionally people with kids just stop in to "see the horses" and walk around the barn.

The barn does have set "office hours" when it comes to people who just come in for the trail rides, etc. They don't take rides out before or after set times during the day and the doors are closed in the evening (either by an employee/owner, or the last boarder to leave).

As far as boarders are concerned, though, there is no time when the barn is off-limits. There isn't a lighted arena available, so riding after dark isn't common, but I've been known to go out later in the evenings just to hang out with my horse, groom him, or do ground work with him. In warmer months, especially on weekends, it's not uncommon for people to hang out in the office or on the porch until midnight or later.

saultgirl
Apr. 1, 2009, 05:44 PM
I don't understand why some people can't grasp the concept that there are show barns with more restricted hours and yes, they do have grooms that tack-up the horses.

The show barn I was at was full-service and every single horse was in full training. Yes, they tack-up your horse for you - that's just the way it works there. There are no options to be in partial training or no tack-up, etc. There is one program, no horses or people get more or less or better or worse treatment. Horses on extended lay-up are sent to their other facility that is outside of the metropolitan area. No horse ever sits in its stall all day. If you don't show up or call, they exercise the horse (no, they don't just have the grooms lunge them). Turnouts in this area are very restricted due to the high cost of land. This is their program. They are a very, very successful barn. There are plenty of other facilities for boarders or show barns with longer hours.

Doesn't sound like very much fun.

dogchushu
Apr. 1, 2009, 08:45 PM
I can grasp the concept. I would consider boarding at one of these simply because time, unfortunately, is limited. And I'm perfectly capable of grooming and tacking my horses. Of course, I'd have to trust the management implicitly, as there are obviously horror stories. Because of that, I can understand it from the other side, where riders are skeptical of barns who don't allow folks to see their horse at frequent intervals.

I was just making the point that in MY area, it's pretty difficult for most riders that work all the time to get out to a farm by 5:30. Hell, I leave my office at 5:30 most days and I'm not out of the CITY some days until 6 (and it's NOT THAT FAR). And nearly any decent barn is at least 40 minutes from the city, traffic notwithstanding, and there's ALWAYS traffic.

Some days I quite envy those of you in the midwest who have less issues with traffic and an overabundance of sprawl, making what USED to be a 30 minute drive into a 2-hour commute. Or when I've been sitting here for an hour trying to go a mile. Around here, if we want to see our horses, we need some flexibility from our trainers and boarding barn staff.

Yeah. I can't really get to the barn before 6:00 unless I leave work early (and I can't do that regularly if I want to stay employed). It's not that the barn is that far away, it's just that rush hour traffic is all stop and go. And if it rains? Forget it. You'll be on that road forEVER!

I do appreciate that it's hard for barns to stay open late and have staff on hand. I'm not about to argue with anyone to change their policies for me. But it does limit my choices when they have hours that close at 7 pm or earlier.

I used to dream about early retirement when I could ride during the day and have all this time to enjoy my horse! But now, given the pathetic state of my 401k, my goals have changed to simply avoiding eating cat food! :winkgrin:

findeight
Apr. 2, 2009, 10:34 AM
Just want to say I do agree that barns in major cities need to look at some type of accomodation for evening lessons. Even a part timer or a split shift to close at 8pm or so. When I was in Boston, most of the show barns did go until 8pm, maybe 9 on weekdays in the summer.

Some of these barns do NOT want a lesson program or boarders who take them-they are full training only. One trainer who rides 10 or 12 daily and teaches a few lessons, that's it.

Something to consider when selecting a barn and lesson/training situation.

And I did a little checking...even the big, commercial boarding barns around here that are not trainer owned and/or operated (but with free lancers or some leasing stalls) have posted hours, close at 8 or 9pm. One is closed Mondays, the others open 7 days. One reason they give is they don't want the lights on and off all night along with traffic up and down the aisles keeping all the horses alert. The other was...insurance requiring an employee on premises.