PDA

View Full Version : New horse need a good O/S bridle

heartinrye
Mar. 29, 2009, 10:50 PM
As the title states I am leasing a new horse, who is HUGE, 18h+ (he was taller than the sticks... by a lot) who is also big boned.

I'm looking for a nice, good quality bridle with a WIDE noseband in O/S/. Owner had a lovely bridle on him today, and it just looked great. I forgot to ask for the brand though! :mad:

I looked at the new 'rodrigo pessoa hunter bridle', is it the same gross quality that the regular pessoa stuff is made out of?

TIA

Hunter Mom
Mar. 29, 2009, 10:55 PM
Check out the new stuff at SmartPak. I think they are (as reported on another thread here) made by the same folks that did the Aramas bridles. They do have a wide noseband model.

heartinrye
Mar. 29, 2009, 11:01 PM
Check out the new stuff at SmartPak. I think they are (as reported on another thread here) made by the same folks that did the Aramas bridles. They do have a wide noseband model.

Oh I was looking at those- which one is the wide one? Maybe I missed it?!

RW06
Mar. 29, 2009, 11:03 PM
Mine was also too big for the stick. He has a Hadfield's padded bridle. It's lovely.

Hunter Mom
Mar. 29, 2009, 11:04 PM
Here's the link to the bridle - the Wellfleet Wide Noseband.

http://www.smartpakequine.com/productclass.aspx?productClassid=7228

heartinrye
Mar. 29, 2009, 11:05 PM
Here's the link to the bridle - the Wellfleet Wide Noseband.

http://www.smartpakequine.com/productclass.aspx?productClassid=7228

Where is the drool icon when you need it?

Foxtrot's
Mar. 29, 2009, 11:41 PM
I'm getting the Stubben l000 from Europe soon (I hope). It is designed for the 'larger head', but I don't know if it will set off your horses head because he is beyond large! :)

Little Indian
Mar. 29, 2009, 11:58 PM
I actually LOVE the Rodrigo line. I think it looks just as nice as the edgewood when it is oiled up, although it does take a few coats for it to become one solid color. I am thinking of getting the wide nose for my Draft X if my old Edgewood doesn't fit him. Definitely try the Rodrigo line. I'm not sure why they aren't as popular, but they are actually very nice in person and have great stitching.

That Welfleet (??) looks too much like a Bobby's for me to actually appreciate it. The Rodrigo line is done to look like the Jimmy's. Mostly flat with a little bit of a raise to it.

heartinrye
Mar. 30, 2009, 12:02 AM
I always get Bobby's & Jimmy's mixed up- which is the nicer one?

justathought
Mar. 30, 2009, 12:25 AM
Really like the padded Vespucci bridle in OS -

BTW anyone found a figure eight (schooling only) that is big enough for an 18.1 hand horse -- the cheeck pieces are always too short on the ones we have tried

IrishWillow
Mar. 30, 2009, 01:31 AM
The Aramas line is discontinued.. but I have a big horse too, and he has an oversize Aramas that fits. Might look for one? They're on sale a lot of places since they are discontinued.

damecheval
Mar. 30, 2009, 02:10 AM
Oh jeeze. That's bigger than a small pony's ego! I've actually trained ponies that are pretty much half that big.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/rodrigo-classic-hunter-horse-bridle/p/X1-12543/cn/80/

http://www.doversaddlery.com/ushja-hunter-derby-horse-bridle/p/X1-12544/cn/80/

http://www.doversaddlery.com/tad-coffin-performance-horse-bridle-extra/p/X1-12714/cn/80/

http://www.thetackboxinc.com/main.cfm?action=store&sub=product&id=174&fromCat=14

Okay, so the last one doesn't come in O/S, but I've seen on some really big horses before. You might be able to find it in O/S at another tack store, though. I wish I could have a bridle like that, but it would look ridiculous on Lady (she's a 15.2 hand, hanoverian/connemera cross).

rally
Mar. 30, 2009, 08:23 AM
I use Bobby's Warmblood size on my 17'3" big headed boy and have been happy with them. Don't forget the need for o/s or warmblood reins as well if yours has an proportional neck. Also be aware that finding large bits, if you need 6" or bigger can be a challenge. As someone recently asked me, would I ever buy a horse this size again if I new the cost/challenge of finding tack (this includes the semi custom saddle now on his back). Eqtack has the Bobby's bridles as well as separate nosebands and replacement parts.

thizzelledance
Mar. 30, 2009, 11:03 AM
i used a jimmy's o/s on my 17'3 boy, it looked fantastic. although i've had problems getting my new jimmy's the right color... i think there are different people making them now.

mvp
Mar. 30, 2009, 11:42 AM
Oh honey. Jimmy's.

I'm not here to make you feel ignorant, but to lock the extreme difference between Bobby's and Jimmy's in your mind.

Jimmy's 20th Century Saddlery based in Minden (Minden Valley?) NV, made some of the most beautiful and expensive bridles ever. They are a very old brand. Don't know if they are still in business, but the original Jimmy died a while back.

Bobby's is a very young brand. I think they started out making India leather bridles with nice details meant to imitate Edgewoods. It was a good idea, not done terribly well IMO. I think they have another line now made from slightly better leather. But their quality is reported to be inconsistent. They also do some non-traditional cost cutting things like sewing the head straps onto the caveson rather than looping it through a slot.

If you can find a Jimmy's and afford it, buy that bridle.

BAC
Mar. 30, 2009, 11:50 AM
I always get Bobby's & Jimmy's mixed up- which is the nicer one?

Jimmy's are hundreds of dollars more than Bobby's if that helps you decide which is "nicer." ;)

heartinrye
Mar. 30, 2009, 11:59 AM
Oh honey. Jimmy's.

I'm not here to make you feel ignorant, but to lock the extreme difference between Bobby's and Jimmy's in your mind.

Jimmy's 20th Century Saddlery based in Minden (Minden Valley?) NV, made some of the most beautiful and expensive bridles ever. They are a very old brand. Don't know if they are still in business, but the original Jimmy died a while back.

Bobby's is a very young brand. I think they started out making India leather bridles with nice details meant to imitate Edgewoods. It was a good idea, not done terribly well IMO. I think they have another line now made from slightly better leather. But their quality is reported to be inconsistent. They also do some non-traditional cost cutting things like sewing the head straps onto the caveson rather than looping it through a slot.

If you can find a Jimmy's and afford it, buy that bridle.

Thanks! I definitely won't mix the two up again!

heartinrye
Mar. 30, 2009, 07:40 PM
Anyone have a pic of their Aramas bridle oiled?

Lou-Lou
Mar. 30, 2009, 08:13 PM
I much prefer the Pessoa line to the Rodrigo line, personally.

I think everyone else posted some great bridles for you, though! :)

Credosporthorses
Mar. 30, 2009, 08:55 PM
I'm with RW the hadfeild is amazing it fits my 17.3 big boy amazingly and he has a "fat head"

OneMoreTime
Mar. 30, 2009, 09:29 PM
I have an Edgewood wide noseband, padded that I adore on my 17hh boy. The thick noseband really balances his head & looks beautiful. I'm a big fan of edgewood. The regular horse size actually fits him - they do run large.