PDA

View Full Version : Outside opinions on new horses

ohsareee
Mar. 29, 2009, 08:33 AM
I am looking into getting a new horse. I found two I really like, Im a fan of the "classic" hunter look, the tbs. Ide like some outside looks on these videos, I seem to overlook obvious sometimes, I just want some others opinions.

First, 16h(ish, I cant remember for sure)chestnut tb gelding, 4 years old, he is doing 2ft6 courses right now but she is working on getting me a vid of that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOj-1ib-pQ8

Second, 16h grey tb mare, 5 years old, doing 3ft, possibly a little higher.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sikM2cusiBw

Thanks!

Lou-Lou
Mar. 29, 2009, 08:55 AM
3' is a bit high for a 5 year old to be jumping, imo. Is she jumping 3' courses on a regular basis, or is it just that she has jumped 3' here and there?

I would personally be a bit concerned about her joints and future soundness if the former is the case.

Good luck in your horse search! :)

ohsareee
Mar. 29, 2009, 08:56 AM
Yes, I would wonder that too, Im really not sure, I just put 2 and 2 together before you said that. I could ask.

CassandraMarie
Mar. 29, 2009, 09:08 AM
Gelding is really cute I think.

As far as the mare, I wouldn't say I like the way she's been being ridden. She goes well but through the fences she just sticks her nose up in the air and looks kind of stiff to me. Could definitely have a lot to do with the way she's been ridden though. You might have a fair amount of re-schooling/fixing to do with her to get her how you'd like.

Jesse'sMom
Mar. 29, 2009, 09:19 AM
3' is a bit high for a 5 year old to be jumping, imo. Is she jumping 3' courses on a regular basis, or is it just that she has jumped 3' here and there?

I would personally be a bit concerned about her joints and future soundness if the former is the case.

You know what, REALLY off topic here, But I think so as well..BUT I have a 3 yo & the 3 & 4 yo hutner classes at WEF, upperville, anywhere you look the young hunters are 2'9"-3'!!
Ans i was thinking oh my god, I would **NEVER** have my 3 yo jumping 3 foot this year...and the IHF has the 3 yo's doing the same.. I am worried about doing 2 foot on her, we are still just doing ground poles..
SO glad someone else feels the same way!

GGsuperpony
Mar. 29, 2009, 09:36 AM
I like the chestnut better. In the video it looks like he has a bigger step and he definitely seems to have the nicer jump. He looks quieter and easier in general. He also has the easier lead change.

Of course, I pick the chestnut because I will always sacrifice "fancy" for "easy". Even though, in this case, I think the chestnut is plenty fancy enough.

Other people may like a more challenging ride and if that's you, the gray may be a little better. She doesn't have as nice a jump as the chestnut, to me. But it's really impossible to evaluate whether that is her or the ride she's getting based on one video, so you'd need to go see her to be sure. She also looks short-strided but that may also be the way she is being ridden.

Good luck and enjoy your horse-shopping!

bhrunner06
Mar. 29, 2009, 11:44 AM
i like the gray...i think the way she is being ridden is not helping her at all! i think with some retraining with her, she would be fabulous!!

however, the chetnut is quite lovely as well! I would take either! haha! but I am a sucker for a gray!

JustJump
Mar. 29, 2009, 11:48 AM
5yo Young Jumpers are doing a LOT higher than 3'.

FolsomBlues
Mar. 29, 2009, 11:53 AM
Just because they are doing higher than 3' doesn't mean they are any less likely to break down before the age of 10. I'm with everyone else, I think both of these horses are being jumped too high too young. I'd want to see the x-rays of their joints before I decided on anything. Do you plan on keeping this horse for a long time?

Couture TB
Mar. 29, 2009, 11:57 AM
I can't say that either of them really do it for me. Out of the two I like the grey better, but she is going to need to be reschooled a bit.

The gelding looks sweet, but seems long backed and looks like he would not be as careful over fences.

dags
Mar. 29, 2009, 12:42 PM
Just a note on the chestnut's video, I believe someone has forced a 4:3 aspect ratio into a 16:9 screen, making him appear far longer then he would in real life.

Andrew
Mar. 29, 2009, 12:49 PM
I would keep looking... neither are good movers

arizonard
Mar. 29, 2009, 02:10 PM
I see that the gelding is priced at 5k and we need to keep that in mind. Is that your budget? I have no idea what the price of the mare is, but for 5k I think both are decent. You are not going to get a top mover in that range.

The gelding seems sweet and easy, though he certainly is not as fancy as the mare. I like his kind attitude. His jump is just okay for me.

The grey is very cute and seems very kind over fences. She will need some work between, but I love how honest she is and she does not seem to get rattled.

Good luck in your search!

OneMoreTime
Mar. 29, 2009, 02:14 PM
i like the gelding; he seems to carry himself very well & looks nicely balanced to me. For the price, I think he is a good buy. He looks in good flesh & well-cared-for. JMO.

Mav226
Mar. 29, 2009, 02:33 PM
I couldn't open the chestnut's video, but I liked the grey for her price range.

The changes didn't look overly sticky or difficult to me. She did seem annoyed about having her face touched, not sure if she needs her teeth done, different bit, different rider, etc. She did a funny head carriage thing on the flat and then the pointy nose over fences. I think this could be fixed by figuring out what is bugging her.

She seemed forgiving of rider error, and had plenty of scope for what she was being asked to do. That being said, most of the jumps didn't look 3' to me. 2'6 maybe.

TB's do mature more quickly than WB's, and given the height of the jumps in the video, I would guess that she is not being over jumped for her age. You could ask to see x-rays to be sure though.

I thought she was quite pretty and had brakes (unlike some TBs), which I liked.

ETA: Opened the chestnut's video. His hind end looked a little suspect to me, but that could have been b/c of the re-sizing of the video that another poster mentioned. I'll stand by my first instinct, I like the mare.

Hauwse
Mar. 29, 2009, 02:42 PM
First, the age/height is a non-issue. The issue of breaking a horse down has little to do with height and age, and more to do with training methods. 1st year greens used to start at 3'6".

As far as the horses go it depends on what you are hoping to accomplish. If you want a competitive A hunter you may have to keep looking. The gelding seems to have a great attitude, and is not bad mover but he won't win hack classes at that level. His form over the fence is not A hunter caliber.

The grey mare seems to have much more going for her. Her movement is fine, and she would probably place in the hacks. Her form over a fence is good, she is square. However she has been done an injustice in that whoever started her over fences has her upside down in her carriage. Heavy hands or getting hit in the mouth, either way she is reluctant to use her back, or her head and neck. I say it’s the training because on the flat she is long and low and relaxed, put a fence in front of her and it all changes. She needs to go back to square one to fix her problems over fences, and that does not always work, or may take a very long time.

I do not know their prices but I would guess that they are both 5K+, and for that, at this time I would think you could do better. You may be better off getting a nice prospect, and putting in the time.

goodmorning
Mar. 29, 2009, 02:49 PM
Well, I think the chestnut is a better buy. He is very quiet and easy, and seems to have enough step. He looks like a very forgiving and easy ride, and uses his head/neck much better over the fence...I think 'fixing' that in the mare is going to be an uphill battle. The grey mare also looks fairly downhill, she is eye-appealing, but getting them to use their neck better o/f is not an easy thing to do. I actually think the chestnut for 5k is a good deal; if he was a year older and had show experience (of course he needs to have the step) than I could see him packing someone around the Modifieds or AA's....though he might not be a fancy mover (though he's not a terrible mover IMO), there is always room for an easy, quiet 2'6-3' horse with the step & that can take a joke.

way2trvld2
Mar. 29, 2009, 03:45 PM
I like the mare a lot more than the gelding. I think she overall looks fancier and while she does need some re-training I think she would take you farther in the long run.

BearWithMe
Mar. 30, 2009, 08:01 PM
I can't say that either of them really do it for me. Out of the two I like the grey better, but she is going to need to be reschooled a bit.

The gelding looks sweet, but seems long backed and looks like he would not be as careful over fences.

agreed. i think they are both quite fancy with nice changes.
to me personally the grey looks like she can go higher while the chestnut looks like he might max out at around 3'.
the mare DOES look a little short strided but if you watch, she stretches down more when the rider gets off her back which makes me think the rider wasn't doing her any favors.
the gelding is just too long and low for me.

HowDoILook
Mar. 30, 2009, 08:04 PM
sent you a pm

Nikatika011
Mar. 30, 2009, 08:24 PM

those 5 y.o. highjumpers are also the ones who need to be doing 5 ft by the time they're six. just because they can, doesn't mean they all should. and that mare is never going to be jumping 5ft.

having said that, the video quality for the gelding is kinda crappy, it's stretched horizontally, so he looks REALLY long, but otherwise he looks pretty good. his stride is shorter than the mares, but his changes are MUCH smoother. the gelding keeps his head down when jumping, but the mare collects herself on the flat much nicer. I'd say if you want the horse who's sturdier and calmer, but not as adjustable, get the gelding. if you want a more athletic, but also more tempermental horse, get the mare.
i might be biased though, because i have a grey mare who looks like that one only mine's lighter. im also a mare-lover ;)

CenterStage123
Mar. 30, 2009, 09:25 PM
For those of you saying you can get something better for the price where are those said horses? I'm looking in the same general area and in the same general price range as the OP, and those are acctually the nicest two I've seen. So please tell me, where are all those bargains? The ones I've seen that are similar to these two are usually priced 10-15k around here.

To stay on topic, I think I like the chestnut better. Hard to tell from the video, but if your looking for a 3 footer, hes the way to go. The mare may have potential to do more than that, however its hard to tell at this point. She looks like she needs a better rider, and some training.

luvs2ridewbs
Mar. 31, 2009, 11:10 AM
I liked the grey better. She was very classic hunter looking while the gelding looked on a bit coarse. She moved well and was tidy with her legs while the gelding just wasnt as nice over the jumps.
One point I'd like to make: the gelding was jumping 1 post a rail boring schooling jump. Any horse can look easy jumping one boring jump. The grey was shown jumping jumper and hunter type jumps with no problems. That counts alot in my book.
I do think the rider didn't show the grey mare to her best ability. It seemed to me she was making her shorten and because of that the head was coming up. She looked like she was trying to ride a jumper. I don't think that should be held against the mare.

LetsChat
Mar. 31, 2009, 11:21 AM

Young jumpers at 5 are doing 3'6" so I don't think jumping 3' as a five year old is horrible. The futurity horses are doing it at 3, that I think is excessive, at 5 not so bad. I know a 21 yr old horse who is sound and showing, did the pre-greens at 5 and then the first years at 6, the second years at 7 and then the A/Os forever, now does A/As but still is sound and competitive. Managed properly I don't think it is bad, of course in the wrong hands that could be disasterous.

scheibyee
Mar. 31, 2009, 11:21 AM

I was just going to say the same thing. People are worried about a 5 year old jumping 3'? 5y/o are level 4/5 right? so 3'9-4'. Those horses seem to do just fine in the prix's when they're 10,11,12 and so on.

LetsChat
Mar. 31, 2009, 11:22 AM
Gelding is really cute I think.

As far as the mare, I wouldn't say I like the way she's been being ridden. She goes well but through the fences she just sticks her nose up in the air and looks kind of stiff to me. Could definitely have a lot to do with the way she's been ridden though. You might have a fair amount of re-schooling/fixing to do with her to get her how you'd like.

Can we say MARTINGALE. That was the first thing I thought. Hello - that was a sale video and the horse's head was in the rafters..... I didn't like either of them *that* much but it depends on price. Under $7500 they are cute, over that neither one of them was appealing to me.

LetsChat
Mar. 31, 2009, 11:25 AM
First, the age/height is a non-issue. The issue of breaking a horse down has little to do with height and age, and more to do with training methods. 1st year greens used to start at 3'6".

As far as the horses go it depends on what you are hoping to accomplish. If you want a competitive A hunter you may have to keep looking. The gelding seems to have a great attitude, and is not bad mover but he won't win hack classes at that level. His form over the fence is not A hunter caliber.

The grey mare seems to have much more going for her. Her movement is fine, and she would probably place in the hacks. Her form over a fence is good, she is square. However she has been done an injustice in that whoever started her over fences has her upside down in her carriage. Heavy hands or getting hit in the mouth, either way she is reluctant to use her back, or her head and neck. I say it’s the training because on the flat she is long and low and relaxed, put a fence in front of her and it all changes. She needs to go back to square one to fix her problems over fences, and that does not always work, or may take a very long time.

I do not know their prices but I would guess that they are both 5K+, and for that, at this time I would think you could do better. You may be better off getting a nice prospect, and putting in the time.

First year greens still start at 3'6", I think you mean that was the INITIAL division they could do, instead of now being able to do the pre-green's at 3 and then 3'3" but the pre-greens have been around since the 70s early 80s at least. There was a picture of Don Stewart doing them on a chestnut horse in one of the recent past Chronicles, the one that shows the beginning of WEF. Still a first year green horse does 3'6" as always.

IrishWillow
Mar. 31, 2009, 11:36 AM
I'm usually a sucker for a dark dappled grey.. but that chestnut looks quiet, well schooled and soft. His one lead change was seamless. I like him.

Mara
Mar. 31, 2009, 01:32 PM
Sorry, but that mare will market much better with another rider. The rider's lower leg was loose and hands stiff, and I thought the mare was being relatively patient given her circumstances. She is the better mover of the two, but did anyone else think she looked to be winging out just a little RF at the trot? It's so hard to tell on video, and the quality isn't the best.

She does look a bit light and I think 3' would be her limit. . .again, with a different rider she might relax a bit more and we'd see a different horse.