PDA

View Full Version : New Darco son for US breeders- Standing at Rising Star Farm

Dressage-ryder
Mar. 3, 2009, 12:56 AM
Did anyone see Rising Star Farm has a new stallion? Valentino Z !
It will be so exciting for jumper breeders to have a stallion of this quality with his bloodlines available on US soil. His dam has produced some amazing horses including 3 BWP stallions.

http://risingstarfarm.net/Valentino%20Z.htm

dilligaff2
Mar. 3, 2009, 08:17 AM
My, My, My!

Isn't he a looker! :)

Congrats Ronda!

Sakura Hill Farm
Mar. 3, 2009, 08:49 AM
Ronda, this is really exciting! Do you have a conformation shot of him available?

Dressage-ryder
Mar. 3, 2009, 09:01 AM
Here is his pedigree and another photo...

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/valentino+z

risingstarfarm
Mar. 3, 2009, 09:14 AM
I'm very excited about this stallion!

I don't have a confo shot available - but will post one shortly!

Here is his complete pedigree (for some reason his motherline wasn't completely added into the allbreed pedigree): http://www.paardenfokken.nl/pedigree.php?horseid=13191&maxniveau=5

grayfox
Mar. 3, 2009, 09:30 AM
WOW! What a nice stallion with fantastic bloodlines.

sniplover
Mar. 3, 2009, 09:55 AM
I fixed his allbreedpedigree. I can't wait to see more pictures of this handsome fellow. Congrats, Ronda!

risingstarfarm
Mar. 3, 2009, 09:57 AM
Thanks!

Here are links to some proofs that his former owner sent to me - she also wrote the nicest email about what a once in a lifetime horse he was for her :-)

http://www.jumpshotusa.com/cgi-bin/photo.cgi?num=339&code=2007bf4&Submit=Find+Photos+for+this+Horse
http://www.jumpshotusa.com/cgi-bin/photo.cgi?num=358&code=2007bf5&Submit=Find+Photos+for+this+Horse
http://www.jumpshotusa.com/cgi-bin/photo.cgi?num=0364&code=2007bf2&Submit=Find+Photos+for+this+Horse
http://www.jumpshotusa.com/cgi-bin/photo.cgi?num=0400&code=2007bf3&Submit=Find+Photos+for+this+Horse

Kimberlee
Mar. 3, 2009, 09:57 AM
Congrats, Ronda! Another gorgeous one!

nsm
Mar. 3, 2009, 10:08 AM
HUGE CONGRATS Ronda!!!!!!!

Nancy

CathyKb
Mar. 3, 2009, 11:48 AM
Huge Congrats!!!! GREAT bloodlines!!!! (drool):yes::)

EquineLVR
Mar. 3, 2009, 12:10 PM
WOW awesome!! Cant wait to see video and more pics!! Huge congrats! :)

Portia
Mar. 3, 2009, 01:09 PM
So Ronda, I always had Darco or a Darco son in mind for the REAL Portia.... Hmmmmmm ... might these two possibly be getting together at some point? :D

risingstarfarm
Mar. 3, 2009, 01:10 PM
So Ronda, I always had Darco or a Darco son in mind for the REAL Portia.... Hmmmmmm ... might these two possibly be getting together at some point? :D

They definitely have a date in the future!!!!

sporthorsefilly
Mar. 3, 2009, 01:40 PM
Super nice horse, congratulations, you should get some wonderful foals with those lines. Very exciting!

flyinghorse
Mar. 3, 2009, 08:41 PM
Wow, all I have to say is 'wow!"

Saw Papa Darco my first trip to Belgium...what a guy!

www.emeraldspringequestrian.com

unbridledoaks
Mar. 3, 2009, 11:06 PM
Congrats!

Dressage-ryder
Mar. 8, 2009, 04:42 PM
I hear this boy has made it to Texas... Ronda---- We want more photos!!!

3Dogs
Mar. 8, 2009, 05:01 PM
Fantastic news Ronda - huge congratulations!!!!

risingstarfarm
Mar. 8, 2009, 08:16 PM
Thank you :-)

I got home from the 30 dt today (wahoo Blue!) and found my birthday present!

Here he is! (he hasn't been worked in over a year - but I think he looks great) Also, please excuse the amateur photography....paging Pam!!!

http://www.risingstarfarm.net/Valentino_Z_confo_final_reduced.jpg

showjumpers66
Mar. 9, 2009, 12:02 AM
Congrats on both parts! :D

risingstarfarm
Mar. 21, 2009, 11:37 PM
Video of Valentino Z, FINALLY!!!!! :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZkmRWopQNw

Dressage-ryder
Mar. 21, 2009, 11:42 PM
I have known he was amazing but I am so happy you got the video to prove it!! What a great stallion with so much to offer jumper breeders. Huge Congrats! I am thrilled our girl is booked to him :)

cyriz's mom
Mar. 22, 2009, 11:47 AM
I am so excited for you, Ronda!

He is awesome!

pony grandma
Mar. 22, 2009, 01:05 PM
What has he produced so far? He's 13, I'm assuming that he's been bred somewhere in that time.

risingstarfarm
Mar. 22, 2009, 03:34 PM
I do not know what he produced in Europe. He was strictly a competition horse in the UK and US. He has two foals coming late summer 2009. I'm excited to use him on my mares!

S A McKee
Mar. 22, 2009, 04:59 PM
I do not know what he produced in Europe. He was strictly a competition horse in the UK and US. He has two foals coming late summer 2009. I'm excited to use him on my mares!

According to USEF he showed 7 times in 2007 as a Jr Jumper. His performance record is less than stellar. Highest placing was a 4th in a class of 4 entries.
He didn't show in 2008. Again according to USEF's results.
His last show is 6/20/2007. So if he wasn't showing or breeding, then what was he doing for the last year and a half? He certainly wasn't a competition horse in the USA for longer than 5 months.

risingstarfarm
Mar. 22, 2009, 05:14 PM
He showed quite a bit in Europe before being imported.

Yes, he showed a bit in 2007 wth a junior. Per that owner, he had an injury which precluded a lot of showing (and they were uninterested in breeding - thus he was strictly a competition horse). He was sold at the end of 2007 (junior went to college) to an individual who did not stand him publically. She bred him to two of her mares. He came to me this month and this will be the first time he is officially standing at stud.

flyinghorse
Mar. 22, 2009, 08:51 PM
I watched the video, and this guy looks pretty cool...so what if he did not compete in the last year or so...video is awesome, Ronda! Looking forward to what he may produce!! Absolutely love Darco and all his offspring and grand-offspring! I met Darco on one of my trips to Belgium, got to see some offspring...number one in USEF jumper rankings...good enough for me :-)

www.emeraldspringequestrian.com

Portia
Mar. 22, 2009, 10:00 PM
From the video, he looks like a lovely boy, with good scope, careful, and ridable.

I really don't put much stock in how well almost any jumper who is imported from Europe does when it first comes over to the US and is ridden by a Jr or an amateur. It takes time for both horse and rider to get used to the different riding style most US non-pros have compared to European riders, especially if the horse was ridden by a pro before being imported. I imagine most of us have seen a few ex-GP horses from Europe come over here and do nothing, at least until both parties adapt to each other.

It will be interesting to see what he produces, now that he's breeding. :)

omare
Mar. 23, 2009, 11:40 AM
I also would not judge him by lack of many high placings with his junior-it appears to me that at that level (as opposed to the GP level), it can often still be who can go fastest with the least mistakes by their rider.

He seems to have more than a sufficient performance record abroad as a young horse. For me it is icing on the cake that a junior was able to ride him (as he is a darco son).

CathyKb
Mar. 23, 2009, 12:10 PM
Ronda - He looks wonderful!!!! Looking forward to his foals. What a beautiful stallion and GREAT bloodlines!!!!:yes::yes:

STF
Mar. 23, 2009, 12:20 PM
According to USEF he showed 7 times in 2007 as a Jr Jumper. His performance record is less than stellar. Highest placing was a 4th in a class of 4 entries.
He didn't show in 2008. Again according to USEF's results.
His last show is 6/20/2007. So if he wasn't showing or breeding, then what was he doing for the last year and a half? He certainly wasn't a competition horse in the USA for longer than 5 months.

There is a list of his European stuff on the website -
http://www.risingstarfarm.net/Valentino%20Z.htm

Looks like he did a 4'3"-4'6" in Europe before coming here.

So how does the Regsitries look at approving an older stallion like this who did not go through the testings or preformance per age requirement. From reading the requirements it looks like they have to have done the highest level (Grand Prix (either dressage or show jumping) to qualify?

omare
Mar. 23, 2009, 12:43 PM
1.40-1.45 m equals ?? 4'7"-4.9" ??

STF
Mar. 23, 2009, 12:48 PM
Hummm, when I googled the conversion it said =

1.45 meters = 4.75721785 feet

More about calculator. (http://www.google.com/intl/en/help/features.html#calculator)

Dunno, whatever........
So, how does an older stallion go through the approval process like this?
It would be interesting to know......

RioTex
Mar. 23, 2009, 12:58 PM
.747 of 12" = 9", so 1.45 is 4'9", I do believe. I don't have a clue about the performance requirements, but I have a feeling that the owner would have already spoken to the registry to find out what they would have to do.

STF
Mar. 23, 2009, 01:09 PM
Who knows. Im sure the BWP will take him as fully approved, guess that is all that matters in the long run. Looks like RPSI and Olden/NA are on the list of "to do's" RPSI will be interesting to see. I watched them not approve Guy Hodges stallion, who had a solid Grand Prix record, so this will be interesting.

baywithchrome2
Mar. 23, 2009, 01:21 PM
I thought he was an approved Zangersheide breeding stallion... no, yes? Or just registered Z as a foal?

STF
Mar. 23, 2009, 01:29 PM
I thought he was an approved Zangersheide breeding stallion... no, yes? Or just registered Z as a foal?

Her website says "licensed"...... but he is not on the main register unless there is another register for North American horses?
http://www.zangersheide.com/apps/studbook_hengsten.php

Maybe he was approved and she has to reactivate him, dunno. He is a well bred boy, shame he was not bred more. I wonder why they kept him away from the world for so long?

Dressage-ryder
Mar. 23, 2009, 01:38 PM
He is a Z approved stallion.. Ronda can fill you in on the rest. His first foals will be born here in CA -- I will do my best to go visit and take photos if possible.

Portia
Mar. 23, 2009, 02:41 PM
According to the USEF conversion charts in Rule JP120.2:

1.40 meters = fences 4'7" in height
1.45 meters = fences 4'9" in height

:)

1.40-1.45 meters is the size of most National level GPs in the US, with only two fences required to be at 1.50m.

JP120.3(c):

Open National Standard. Must include:
(1) at least one double and one triple, two triples, or three doubles;
(2) at least two obstacles not less than 1.50 m (4’11”)
(3) at least eleven obstacles at a minimum height of 1.40 m (4’7”) and
(4) at least three spreads 1.50 m to 1.60 m (4’11” to 5’3”), in addition to any used in
combinations.

STF
Mar. 23, 2009, 04:06 PM
Well thats good news, that gives him more chances with the regsitires for full approval. Better yet, most HJ people dont care, so even bettta.

ponygirl
Mar. 23, 2009, 04:51 PM
Her website says "licensed"...... but he is not on the main register unless there is another register for North American horses?
http://www.zangersheide.com/apps/studbook_hengsten.php

Maybe he was approved and she has to reactivate him, dunno. He is a well bred boy, shame he was not bred more. I wonder why they kept him away from the world for so long?

Probably just needs to be activated as Vegas (Velusinus R) is listed as approved and he's here in the NA.

DMK
Mar. 25, 2009, 10:32 AM
He is a well bred boy, shame he was not bred more. I wonder why they kept him away from the world for so long?

He was off having a very respectable show career. Nothing wrong with that, is there?

Kimberlee
Mar. 25, 2009, 11:18 AM
He looks wonderful Ronda. I can't wait to come out and meet him!

Maybe another future boyfriend for Galaxy ;)

babecakes
Mar. 26, 2009, 02:35 PM
I do not know what he produced in Europe. He was strictly a competition horse in the UK and US.

Is it common that a horse with these bloodlines would compete in Europe for so long (10 yrs?) and never be used at all for breeding?

Small Spark
Mar. 26, 2009, 04:31 PM
Is it common that a horse with these bloodlines would compete in Europe for so long (10 yrs?) and never be used at all for breeding?

Yes, very. There are so many stallions competing in Europe because they seem to make better jumpers, and they'll be more valuable if they do get somewhere.

Portia
Mar. 26, 2009, 07:03 PM
The Europeans don't worry nearly as much as we often do about keeping a competition horse a stallion if he behaves well.

I can't remember -- who was the chestnut non-breeding (at that point) stallion who failed his 3 year old licensing and wasn't approved by anyone until after he had become an international GP horse, went to the Olympics, and nearly won the World Cup -- Tinka's Boy? 'Course by then everyone wanted him.

Yep -- Tinka's Boy. I loved that guy when I saw him at the Finals in Las Vegas in 2003.
http://www.horsemagazine.com/BREEDINGBARN/GREAT_STALLIONS/tinkasboy/tinkasboy.html

RioTex
Apr. 5, 2009, 08:57 PM
OK, I went and rode Valentino this weekend and he was a blast. I am just a dorky hunter rider who spends more time on greenies than made jumpers, but he was just a blast. He has been out of regular work for quite a while, but was more than happy to collect in the morning and take me for a ride in the afternoon. I will be excited to watch the first crop of babies and see if they get the lovely, willing attitude that this guy obviously has.

dilligaff2
Apr. 7, 2009, 08:08 AM
Thanks for the update RioTex.

It's nice to know he has a personality to go along with those great looks. :)

JustJump
Apr. 8, 2009, 08:43 AM
I'd look at horses produced by a stallion with a nice disposition, and decent conformation. Everyone doesn't "need" a GP horse, the ones that are the most useful are just plain easy to ride.

Looking at his results, they aren't top of the line. But it seems he's AO/Jr worthy, obviously has a nice lineage, and is attractive. In a few years, it will be seen what he produces, and if they are of a good temperament, good looking, and can jump 3' with an AA, they'll be like precious metal.

I would question whether he's actually "licensed" with the Zangersheide, he isn't on any of their lists (I don't think they have a USA list). But I know of a couple Z horses whose parents are on other registries, they get accepted to the registry, that's not the same as being "approved" or licensed for breeding. But, as someone has pointed out, that's not of such primary importance to the market here.

risingstarfarm
Apr. 8, 2009, 09:33 AM
It's nice to see Valentino Z getting so much attention :-)

I feel very fortunate to have him at the farm and we are excited about the upcoming breeding season.

As far as breeding approvals....he is approved for breeding with Zangersheide (I contacted Belgium before I posted it), and is going to be presented BWP, RPSI and ISR/Old NA. I contacted each registry to confirm his eligibility.

omare
Apr. 8, 2009, 11:30 AM
He sounds like a wonderful boy-with more than an adequate performance record (how many jumper stallions in the USA have a record placing at 4'6-4'9"?), is handsome and gives you the Darco blood in a rideable package!

Jesse'sMom
Apr. 28, 2009, 02:49 PM
I am SO excited!! I booked my wonderful jumper bred mare Grand Gala (Merano/U'clouds Gala/Galoubet) to Valentino Z for a 2010 foal!
can't wait to add the Darco line to the jumper line of this mare! Gonna be a LONG year!

RioTex
Apr. 28, 2009, 04:22 PM
Jesse'sMom, I have booked one to him as well (hoping for a keeper). After having the incredible opportunity to show this delightful guy this weekend, DH is ready to breed all the mares to him. He hasn't been in the show ring in a while and RSF was kind enough to let me show him this weekend since I am at a loss for a horse of my own right now.

He was a BLAST. Everyone on the show grounds asked who he was and where he came from. He packed me around like he had never taken a break from showing. He was so much fun to ride that I got lulled into hunting around the corners in the jumpers. He is super easy on the ground, loves his animal crackers, having his face brushed and then is all business when he gets to the ring. I want one just like him.

SabinoPonyLover
Apr. 28, 2009, 05:01 PM
I got to meet the wonderful Valentino this weekend as well. What a super behaved boy! Never a peep or a step out of place, just happy to do whatever was asked of him. I hope he comes back to next months show!

CathyKb
May. 8, 2009, 05:59 PM
Just heard thru the grapevine, that Ronda has a Valentino Z baby on the way. His swimmers are certainly working. More to check in a coming weeks. Can't wait to see that foal next year, out of a really really nice mare. Congrats Ronda!!!!!!:D:D:D

risingstarfarm
May. 8, 2009, 10:53 PM
Thanks Cathy!

I'm so excited about the Valentino Z x Come Back II that I am now officially expecting in 2010!

We'll check some more mares next week - fingers crossed that we see more black dots!

I'm also very excited that I found some great pics of Valentino Z some over Level 8 and Level 7 fences. I can't wait to update the website!

here are a couple of the pics! http://www.risingstarfarm.net/Valentino_Z_Desert_Circuit_4.jpg

and http://www.risingstarfarm.net/Valentino_Z_Desert_Circuit_3.jpg