PDA

View Full Version : 3 horses picked up by county animal control - need help identifying by tattoo #

naters
Feb. 27, 2009, 03:59 PM
My friend emailed me today, and these three horses were picked up by the Marion County Animal Control today and are tattoed with the numbers below. Can anyone help research these? The Jockey Club route is too expensive for her to pay. Just want to find out who they belong to so they can go home!!

T22940

Z32017

Z28640

naters
Feb. 27, 2009, 04:13 PM
?

Watermark Farm
Feb. 27, 2009, 05:05 PM
The "T" horse is a 1990 model.
The "Z" horses are 1996 models.

Registration numbers for these horse would be as follows:

You won't get current owner info this way, though, so it's not of much help. You will only get name, breeder info, pedigree, race history. It costs $35 per horse to have the tattoo numbers researched. I have an Equineline account and can look up horse info, but need a name in order to do it. Try calling the JC and see if someone will look the other way and look up the names for you --- they did it once for me with an AC seizure horse.

Hope that helps. Are the horses in good shape? Hopefully someone has just left a gate open and will be looking for them soon.

Evalee Hunter
Feb. 27, 2009, 05:22 PM
The Jockey Club is NOT an ownership registry. They do not keep track of that information so they will NOT be able to tell who owns the horse based on its registered name.

rcloisonne
Feb. 27, 2009, 05:53 PM
The Jockey Club is NOT an ownership registry. They do not keep track of that information so they will NOT be able to tell who owns the horse based on its registered name.
Why is that and who does keep track of TB ownership?

Cherry
Feb. 27, 2009, 06:02 PM
They do not keep track of that information...

Evalee, although I'm sure they don't want to be an "ownership" registry, the first thing I did when I bought my TB mare was to file a "change of ownership" paper with them. I called the JC, they sent me the paper--I filled it out and returned it to them. I would hope if someone called enquiring about my mare they would be able to tell them that I was the last recorded owner.... So, if they don't keep track of that information why would they provide such a form for people to use and why did they send it to me???? :uhoh:

Laurierace
Feb. 27, 2009, 06:20 PM
They will keep track of ownership if the owner so desires. They do not require owners to report changes in ownership so therefore the data bank of owners is hit or miss. Sort of like pedigree query's database, the info is only as good as the person who supplied it.

Las Olas
Feb. 27, 2009, 06:32 PM
Evalee, although I'm sure they don't want to be an "ownership" registry, the first thing I did when I bought my TB mare was to file a "change of ownership" paper with them. I called the JC, they sent me the paper--I filled it out and returned it to them. I would hope if someone called enquiring about my mare they would be able to tell them that I was the last recorded owner.... So, if they don't keep track of that information why would they provide such a form for people to use and why did they send it to me???? :uhoh:

Evalee is correct. The Jockey Club is a Stud Book for the purpose of tracking thoroughbreds for racing only. That is how the organization is chartered and they do not like to expand outside of the charter. They sent you a change of ownership because you asked for one and there was no reason to deny it. You also requested it for a mare, and mares can be placed back in service. It's not that The Jockey Club doesn't want to be helpful (I used to work there), it's just that they were developed and chartered for the purpose of pedigreeing thoroughbreds to race, not as a breed registry in the contemporary sense. It's been a long time since someone explained it to me, but if I remember correctly, at one time there were issues that if TJC were a breed registry, then they couldn't have a monopoly on the registration of horses for racing purposes. But, chartering themselves as a stud book only concerned with pedigrees (specifically for racing), they were able to circumvent that. The 'registration fee' you pay is considered an administrative cost. That was one reason why they tried to start the PHR as a seperate entity.

Jessi P
Feb. 27, 2009, 06:37 PM
This seems to be pertinent info:

http://www.jockeyclub.com/registry.asp?section=3#seven

D. The Jockey Club will not respond to inquiries, other than pursuant to legal process, Court Order, approved Foreign Stud Book Authorities, recognized State Racing Commissions, Racetrack Authorities or law enforcement agencies with respect to ownership information as to a specific horse, except upon written request, from a person whose name appears in The Jockey Club records as having an ownership interest in that horse.

pAin't_Misbehavin'
Feb. 28, 2009, 09:51 AM
naters - Did you ever find out who these horses belonged to? I'm curious, as I live about ten minutes from the Marion County line. I don't know of anyone who might have lost them, though.

Horses are having a bad year in Marion County, where the unemployment rate is now about 20%.:(

vineyridge
Feb. 28, 2009, 10:20 AM
Question as to Marion County in what state? On the other thread, I just assumed that Marion County, Florida was meant, which is the Ocala area.

Someone else assumed Marion County, SC.

We even have a Marion County, MS.

All are named after Francis Marion, the Revolutionary War Swamp Fox.

pAin't_Misbehavin'
Feb. 28, 2009, 10:40 AM
Question as to Marion County in what state? On the other thread, I just assumed that Marion County, Florida was meant, which is the Ocala area.

My goodness, ol' Frankie sure got around, didn't he?:lol: I had no idea.

selah
Feb. 28, 2009, 01:38 PM

Marion County West Virginia too! Also named for the "Swamp Fox"!!!

naters
Mar. 2, 2009, 09:06 AM
Even though the JC is not an owner registry, just having the last recorded owner could be of help.

Could that owner not potentially tell the County who he/she sold the horse to?

It would just be a starting point.

Marion County - FL. I wasn't more specific because I don't really think it mattered too much, all we have are their tattoo numbers.

naters
Mar. 2, 2009, 09:07 AM
These don't look like horses that were just turned loose due to the economy....

A lot of farms here have a LOT of horses, and may not notice two or three missing from the broodmare pasture immediately

AJuell
Mar. 2, 2009, 09:59 AM
Two things --
One is what someone else mentioned. The economy. They might be lost on purpose. The second is that since many racehorses are claimed on the track, most papers are merely signed off. They never get registered per se. Been away from it for a bit, but believe that to be current policy. Tatoo # is relatively useless unless the original owner (not breeder -- but owner at the time of the tatoo) has information. Makes for a long paper trail.
Given the state of racing at the moment, this could become common.
AJuell

naters
Mar. 2, 2009, 10:08 AM
I started this thread to try to help get these gals home.....

If anyone can look up tattoo numbers, that would be great, and would at least give my friend a starting point.

Thanks.

vineyridge
Mar. 2, 2009, 10:25 AM
Since it's Marion County, FL, and there are tracks running in Florida now, Marion County AC could contact the tracks for identification. The tracks do have access to Tattoo numbers through their TPRB representatives and their officials and might be open to helping the government find out who these horses are.

naters
Mar. 2, 2009, 10:32 AM
Thanks VR, great idea!! If they all have tattoos, does that mean they have been raced?

Or possibly do they just have the tattoos?

Las Olas
Mar. 2, 2009, 10:39 AM
Hi Naters,

Sorry to say, only the TRPB and TJC have access to those numbers. TJCIS will not do the tattoo research for free. My only suggestion is to have MC Animal Control call TJC's Registry Department and see if they will help. When they call, don't ask for tattoo research or they will send you to TJCIS/Equineline. They need to ask for the registry and explain to the rep the situation.

Also, I PM'd you. Did your horse arrive safely?

Las Olas
Mar. 2, 2009, 10:42 AM
It doesn't necessarily mean they were raced. They are usually tatooed when they are put in training. I have had several that were at the track, tattooed and never ended up running.

Thanks VR, great idea!! If they all have tattoos, does that mean they have been raced?

Or possibly do they just have the tattoos?

Las Olas
Mar. 2, 2009, 10:48 AM
Since it's Marion County, FL, and there are tracks running in Florida now, Marion County AC could contact the tracks for identification. The tracks do have access to Tattoo numbers through their TPRB representatives and their officials and might be open to helping the government find out who these horses are.

Vineryridge has a good idea. Since Tampa Bay is still running, their TRPB rep might be the better way to go. One other thing to add... if TRPB balks at helping, you may want to call the HBPA at Tampa and see if someone there can 'lay' on them a little. If you know the gals at OBS, they also may have a contact name for you to try. Since they have the OBS Stakes day, Louise or someone in that office might have a contact name for you to try.

naters
Mar. 2, 2009, 11:36 AM
Thanks. Passed along all of this info to her.

bighoss
Mar. 2, 2009, 04:09 PM
Z32017- DEBS WONDER LAST RAN 2002 PENN NATIONAL
Z28640-CANDIED APPLE LAST RAN 2001 PHA
THE OTHER HORSE IS NOT IN MY DATABASE
good luck

naters
Mar. 2, 2009, 04:25 PM
Thanks!

tbracer65
Mar. 2, 2009, 05:56 PM
Probably a long shot, but might help. The breeder of Candied Apple for her 2006 foal was Patricia Fullmer up in Pennsylvania. Maybe she knows how she ended up in Florida or could at least get you in touch with the new owner.:confused:

http://www.pabred.com/Newsletters/2008_02/Story4.php