PDA

View Full Version : How much Ultium do you feed?

luise
Feb. 3, 2009, 02:19 PM
I am going to switch my horse over to Ultium. According to their website, he should get 8 lbs a day. This sounds like a lot to me! He is 1200 lb QH/Belgian draft, and usually eats less than the other horses (mostly TBs) in the barn. He gets worked about 1-1.5hrs/day, 5 days a week. I emailed Purina and am waiting for their response.
If you feed Ultium, how much are you feeding? More or less than the label?

amdfarm
Feb. 3, 2009, 04:17 PM
When I fed Ultium, I always fed and still do w/ other feeds, I fed/feed less. They have free choice hay for the most part and I feel more hay less grain. They only get grained once a day, but are not in work.

I have a 1200lb QH gelding and if he was in work and fit, I don't think I'd feed him more than 4 lbs/day, 2 lbs twice a day. And that would be about the same as I'd feed the pasture puffs and broodmares, too.

Remember to gradually switch him over to the new feed.

Those big numbers on the bag are to get you to buy more feed. I like it last to awhile personally and don't feel they need that much. I currently go through 150 lbs of feed about every week, but that's feeding 12 horses.

eqsiu
Feb. 3, 2009, 08:02 PM
I fed Ultium for weight gain last year and fed 4.5 pounds per day. It weighs about 1 lb per quart. Worked great. I would feed 2/3 the volume that you are feeding now (current feed) and see if you're looking to maintain your horse's current weight.

Raison d'etre
Feb. 3, 2009, 09:38 PM
None. Both horses lost weight on it when we tried it last year. Lots of horses did. Hired a nutritionist to come out and she had us switch to something horses could better digest. Nice to see others have had luck with it, though.

luise
Feb. 3, 2009, 10:04 PM
None. Both horses lost weight on it when we tried it last year. Lots of horses did. Hired a nutritionist to come out and she had us switch to something horses could better digest. Nice to see others have had luck with it, though.

My horse is a pretty easy keeper in terms of grain requirements, so I'm not worried about weight loss. I'm worried about giving him too much!

Seven-up
Feb. 3, 2009, 10:19 PM
Doesn't Ultium have tryptophan in it? Or am I thinking of another feed?

yes, it does.

I feed 6 lbs. a day. The max for my horse's weight is 6.8 lbs. a day. I'm feeding for weight gain as well.

The amount on the bag is the max you should feed. You shouldn't feed any more than that, but you can feed less.

dalpal
Feb. 3, 2009, 11:47 PM
The bags are so damn confusing. One of our feed store owners told me that what WE, mortals, consider average work....is the feed company's definition of an all day trail ride.

I wouldn't personally feed any horse feed that I had to feed over 5 pounds a day. I have a 19 year old TB who only gets 3 pounds of Blue Seal Vintage Performance LS and he looks great. He's in fair amount of work, but if I followed the bag instructions...I'd be feeding him 9 plus pounds per day. :eek:

Just not healthy for a horse to eat that much grain IMO.

If my horse needed more weight after 5 pounds, I would probably supplement with alfalfa cubes, more hay, something like Envision or Cool Calories...but not more grain.

eqsiu
Feb. 4, 2009, 12:18 AM

There's a local barn that didn't have luck with their horses on it either. It has a high oil content that may not work well for some horses. But if you're feeding amplify it's nearly the same andmuch cheaper.

luise
Feb. 4, 2009, 06:05 AM
I'm going to be feeding it because I like the combination of low starch and high fat. My guy does better with lower starch.
Tryptophan is an amino acid, which is also present in rice and oats, so I would think it is in most grains!

BigHorseLittleHorse
Feb. 4, 2009, 12:50 PM
wow, that seems excessive. I have 2 horses on Ultium, and they're both maintaining their weight on high-quality free choice hay and the amount listed below. I use a coffee can for measuring - I've never actually weighed the Ultium, so the weight below is what's listed on the coffee can. Not sure what the weight ratio of coffee to Ultium is. :)

Horse 1: 14 year-old Arab in moderate work, weighs about 900 lbs. Gets about a pound a day.

Horse 2: 25-year-old retired warmblood/draft cross, weighs about 1400 lbs. Gets about 2 pounds a day.

There are 3 other horses at my barn on Ultium, all retired and in their 20s, and they get the same or slightly less than my retiree. Everyone looks great.

EquineLVR
Feb. 4, 2009, 05:48 PM
Mine gets 5lbs per day and thats it..no grain or anything else and then free choice hay.

Simkie
Feb. 4, 2009, 05:57 PM
It gets even more confusing if you use the calculator here:

http://horse.purinamills.com/products/feedingcalculator.asp

My performance horse in moderate work apparently needs 11 lbs of Ultium a day, along with only 13 lbs of hay. :eek:

Or I could give her 14 pounds of Strategy, with 13 lbs of hay.

Not So Practical Horse(WO)man
Feb. 4, 2009, 06:02 PM
2qt am. 2 qt pm.

i havent ever had to change it regradles of the amount of work shes in. and we were doing 4+ hours 6 days a week this summer. now were doing 1 hour a day if were lucky. and maybe 4 x a week.

Seven-up
Feb. 4, 2009, 06:29 PM
FYI: Ultium is heavy. When I was starting to switch over, I weighed out a 1/2 lb. and it was about 2 handfuls. In the buckets I use to carry the feed around in, I can't even fit 3 lbs. of the other feed in it. I put 3 lbs. of Ultium in the same bucket, and could fit another pound in there if I wanted to. So if you don't weigh it, you might be feeding more than you think you are.

Xanthoria
Feb. 4, 2009, 08:04 PM
Our 1300# hard keeper got 12# a day in 2 feeds, plus hay and pasture. He's now looking great so we're cutting him down to 6# a day :)

HookedOnReefing
Feb. 4, 2009, 08:28 PM
The terms "light work", "moderate work", "performance horse" are all very subjective. The company does not provide you with a definition of the terms used.

While we like to say that our horses are in "heavy" or "moderate" work, it's probably just not true. Consider horses and mules that are used 8 hrs per day in the logging industry. Now that's heavy work.

This is how I personally interpret (and I could be completely wrong) the feed guidelines, and is totally subjective as well:

"Heavy": work horses, steeple chasers, race horses.

“Moderate": Event horses and Field Hunters (during hunt season) and probably endurance horses as well.

"Light" Hunters, Jumpers and dressage horses.

"Active Pleasure": Trail horses and lesson horses (depending on the amount of hrs worked)

luise
Feb. 4, 2009, 08:38 PM
Actually, they do give definitions of light, moderate, and heavy performance. If you click on "lifestyle of the horse" there's a dropdown menu.
I guess my guy is somewhere between light and moderate. I'll talk to my trainer, but I'm thinking 6 lbs of feed for him. Of course Purina hasn't gotten back to me.

HookedOnReefing
Feb. 4, 2009, 11:18 PM
Actually, they do give definitions of light, moderate, and heavy performance. If you click on "lifestyle of the horse" there's a dropdown menu.

Never noticed that before. Thanks:cool:

eqsiu
Feb. 5, 2009, 01:38 AM
FYI: Ultium is heavy. When I was starting to switch over, I weighed out a 1/2 lb. and it was about 2 handfuls. In the buckets I use to carry the feed around in, I can't even fit 3 lbs. of the other feed in it. I put 3 lbs. of Ultium in the same bucket, and could fit another pound in there if I wanted to. So if you don't weigh it, you might be feeding more than you think you are.

You must have HUGE hands! :eek: :eek: :eek: My hand holds 1/4 cup. I weighed Ultium in a 1 qt cup and got a smidge over 1 lb. Actually, darn near every grain I ever weighed is close to 1 lb per qt. Some are a little more, others a little less.

Seven-up
Feb. 5, 2009, 06:17 PM
Tiny hands. I'm barely over 5' tall. I meant both hands together, and overflowing w/feed. :winkgrin: My scientific;) hand measurement might be a bit off, but the pounds in the bucket is pretty much on. The other feed I use is not high quality, so it's probably a lot of fluff. At any rate, I was surprised how heavy the Ultium is compared to how much space it takes up.

LarkspurCO
Feb. 6, 2009, 12:28 AM
Ultium isn't any "heavier" than other horse formulations. Just look at the volume of the bag. If it were much heavier, the bag would be smaller. It isn't.

Besides that, I measured and weighed it. I had to figure this out so the barn manager could order the right amount of feed for the month. A full 3 qt scoop weighed a little less than 3 pounds. The Progressive ration balancer is a little heavier for the same volume. I weighed both feeds using the Progressive green 8 oz cup.

When my horse was eating Ultium he got 6-7 lbs. a day, 1 lb. of ration balancer and all the hay he wanted to eat. But this is a horse that will never be fat.

Seven-up
Feb. 6, 2009, 12:59 AM
Dunno what to tell you. Maybe it's a conspiracy and they are doing something to my bag that they're not doing to yours. :winkgrin: Maybe it's the humidity here. Maybe I weighed it during the full moon.

FWIW, if I stack the bags, the Ultium bag is thinner than the bag of the other stuff I feed. A bag of deer corn is even thinner. And I have 2 identical buckets I store each feeding in. Ultium takes up less space in the bucket. I'd be happy to take a picture for you. Volume does not equal weight. Everything comes in the same bag. Corn, oats, grain. The same weight will have different volumes. That's why they recommend you should feed by weight, not volume.

Anyway, no big deal. It's not heavier by much, just thought I'd give a heads up to anyone who doesn't weigh it. Feeding without weighing is less accurate. There's not going to be an enormous difference, but there CAN be a difference.

LarkspurCO
Feb. 6, 2009, 01:10 AM
I feed rice bran pellets and they are much fluffier and lighter than any of the grain mixes. Maybe your other feed is just fluffier? Or dare I suggest Purina mills are inconsistent from region to region? Scandalous! The other Purina products are denser. For example, a 50-pound bag of Enrich 32 fills less volume than 50 pounds of Ultium.

I think I know what it is: Aliens abducted your Ultium and impregnated it with molybdenum!

Seven-up
Feb. 6, 2009, 01:38 AM
I like that word, molybdenum! :yes:

Yeah, my other feed is fluffier. It's not a great quality feed, so it makes sense there's some filler/crap in there. Probably cardboard or bird feathers or something. :winkgrin:

The whole dense/volume thing you said is pretty much what I was attempting to explain. Maybe I just said it wrong.

mhtokay
Feb. 6, 2009, 09:17 AM
I feed strategy, but switched one horse to Ultium a couple years ago when he was getting a heavy work and show schedule. I fed much less (and I do weigh my feed as I dish it out) and he looked great with super muscling.