PDA

View Full Version : Homemade heating bags

eponacowgirl
Jan. 25, 2009, 09:50 AM
With all the sore, tweaked muscles we get, I figure y'all will be the experts...

My mom sewed me a bag to be filled with *something* that holds heat. I currently have it filled with long-grain white rice, but it doesn't hold heat as long as I'd hoped it would.

Its also heavy... not that I thought a bag of rice would be light, but I'm wondering if anyone else fills theirs with something that holds heat longer and has more "bulk" per pound.

ManyDogs
Jan. 25, 2009, 10:31 AM
Don't know if it holds heat longer, but after an unsuccessful search for a real, old fashioned hot water bottle, DH puts two or three of those small microfiber towels (shamwow type) in a big baggie. They are not dripping wet but soggy. Microwwave for a couple minutes and then wrap in a dish towel or pillow case.

gabz
Jan. 25, 2009, 11:28 AM
I use whole corn. I buy a 50 pound bag of corn from the grain store and I think I put about 4 pounds or so in each bag I sew up. I heat mine for 4-5 minutes and it lasts a loooongggg time. I end up storing the corn in smaller buckets because I can't feed it to any of the animals I have. Even the birds won't eat it.

I need to make some more. I keep giving them away! LOL...

Brockstables
Jan. 25, 2009, 02:47 PM
I have a corn bag on my back at the moment, to ease the pulled muscle from this morning's escapades on ice. Works like a charm. One word of caution, however... these get really really hot, and I have "cooked" the corn on more than one occasion, resulting in a burnt smell in the bag. Not good. Heat in increments, it is safer!
J

Catersun
Jan. 25, 2009, 03:24 PM
oats work too.

Laurierace
Jan. 25, 2009, 04:21 PM
I like flax seed the best.

2DogsFarm
Jan. 26, 2009, 03:39 PM
Whole oats hold the heat a good long time and don't weigh too much.
Flaxseed is good too.
I would think the corn would be too "bumpy" to be comfy - the oats and flax are smooth and small enough to slide around and conform to your body.
And be sure to toss in some dried lavender for a nice aromatherapy boost.
Um...and make me one please :winkgrin:

My Two Cents
Jan. 26, 2009, 08:16 PM
Try heating the rice version with a wet papertowel. Not drippy wet (don't want to make it soggy) but just enough to add some moisture and steam. It seems to hold the heat better.

LoriO
Jan. 27, 2009, 12:40 AM
I've got one made with whole feed corn and it works great!

JustFive
Jan. 28, 2009, 12:39 PM
was sew a little pillow and fill it with salt. She heated it in the oven and I don't know why the microwave wouldn't work as long as your fabric isn't synthetic. I bet you could use Epsom salts in it too and it would be cheaper.

draftdriver
Jan. 28, 2009, 02:26 PM
Flax is nice, and conforms well to contours. I've also seen them made with corn, buckwheat, or soybeans. The larger the seed, the lumpier the end product.

gabz
Jan. 28, 2009, 02:34 PM
I have one made from 2 tubes socks, filled with rice, and it fits nicely around my neck - but the heat doesn't last very long.

I think the corn lasts a long time (in terms of heat). I like to use it pre-heat my bed these last few weeks. I can keep the house heat down and pre-heat the bed. :sleepy:

ShadowsMom
Jan. 28, 2009, 08:25 PM
I have one made with cherry pits! It works great and the heat lasts a long time cause the pits are large. You can buy the cherry pits on the web.