PDA

View Full Version : Finding Ride-Along/Working Companion

SweetLatte
Jan. 24, 2009, 01:23 PM
How does one go about finding their first companion animal? I travel a fair ammount by myself, most of the jobs I work are outside by myself and because of my current life schedule, when I go jogging it's often times after dark and again-by myself. I'd like to have a dog that I can take with me, something that's medium-large sized but I'm not particularly sure that I want a puppy. I would hapilly adopt something from a local shelter, but I'm not at a point in my life where I can own a dog that doesn't fit a fairly specific criteria. I need something that's going to be good with other dogs, children, house-trained and safe to have off-leash. I know that people sell adult dogs sometimes...ones that are no longer being bred and such, but how do you go about finding a dog like this? Any suggestions?

llsc
Jan. 24, 2009, 02:17 PM
Give my mom a call. She runs a rescue and knows her dogs inside and out. She started as a Border Collie Rescue, but now she has tons of different breeds and mixes. Friends of Pep Dog Rescue 570-842-4768. She has some really amazing dogs and I can think of 5 or 6 of hers that would fit your criteria right off the top of my head.

Bluey
Jan. 24, 2009, 02:36 PM
Since you are in Arizona, maybe you ought to check with the local rescues first?

You are right not to want a puppy if you want to go run now with a dog.
A puppy would not be able to go run with your until it is mature enough.
Running with people is hard on puppies developing joints.

SweetLatte
Jan. 24, 2009, 03:07 PM
Right now Bluey, I'm going to school in Oklahoma but I do a fair ammount of traveling to Texas and New Mexico. Having a dog to go jogging with is the least of my concerns right now, my concerns with having a puppy are more based on the time and energy it takes to house train them and plus, since puppies are always more likely to find homes, it seems more reasonable and suitable for me to try to find a mature dog. llsc, thank you! I will get call and talk to her and see if she has anything compatible :)

vacation1
Jan. 24, 2009, 03:29 PM
You could contact local AKC clubs, usually organized by county. They would have leads on breeders who needed new homes for adult dogs, as well as 'rescue' dogs, and they'd undoubtedly have a very good idea of what the dogs were like. In terms of being safe offleash, I'd stay away from a) dogs small enough that they can get into a lot of trouble quickly, and b) dogs big and aggressive enough to start a lot of trouble quickly.

Bluey
Jan. 24, 2009, 04:02 PM
This came thru our dog club news.
The dog is in Amarillo, TX:

---" I rescued a dog about a month ago, and she lives here with us. She was badly malnourished and from what we can see mistreated as well. We took her to the vet and all her shots are up to date. She is eating and gaining some weight. We need to find a good home for her. She is only 2 years old, a husky-border collie mix and she is full of life and love. I'm afraid she will not get as much exercise and love here as we have another dog who is calmer and although I am at home during the day, I have to work at a computer and can't give her the attention she needs. She is really a sweet dog. She loves people and I think she would do really well with children."---

I don't know if such a dog would be good to go off leash, unless you train her well, but sounds high energy, so for the running partner wish, she may work.
Not many dogs can go loose safely without good, ongoing training.

If you are interested, PM me and I can give you her address.

mango1612
Jan. 24, 2009, 04:54 PM
Occasionally in the newspaper I see people selling/"adopting" out mature dogs. Sometime they are younger, and I think that the people just realized that their lives are not cut out for the dog!

I did have great success with the rescue I got my dog from. I had a long list of musts, must be good with cats, ride well in a car, be okay being an only dog, walk on a leash fairly well, be a neutered male, be good with kids... And after a couple months (weeks?) of calling and asking about new dogs showing up on their website, I found a dog that did met all my demands. Some smaller/local rescues may be able to help you--having an animal that's been fostered is great because the foster people know the dog's personality and whether it'd work for you.

leakyb
Jan. 24, 2009, 06:08 PM
Just about every state has a breed specific rescues....just type in "Golden Retriever rescue of Arizona" for example and you will get the listings for that breed's rescue groups. I'm not saying you have to get a Golden, just showing an example! If there is a breed you like search for that breed, type in rescue, and the state you're in.

I have a wonderful boy from a Doberman rescue in Virginia. I adopted him at age 2 and have owned him for almost 4 years now. The good thing about rescue groups is that their dogs are generally in foster homes and are screened for how they get along with other dogs, children, cats, etc. It's not like taking a dog from the pound where you know nothing about its temperament.

SweetLatte
Jan. 27, 2009, 09:24 PM
Another question that I've been meaning to ask is how does one go about transporting/shipping dogs and what are the costs associated with it? I've helped set up transport of horses, but since we have actual shipping companies here in the US with regular pricing per mile it seems a little more straight forward than getting a dog across state lines...

pintopiaffe
Jan. 27, 2009, 09:59 PM
Some rescues help arrange a ferry of sort, each person picking up a leg of the trip, meeting in rest areas and truck stops. It's a pretty cool experience to help with one :D

Flying a dog is also an option, I don't know what prices are these days, when I did it about 6 years ago it was cheap... around $90.

SweetLatte
Jan. 28, 2009, 02:31 AM
When you fly a dog, are there specific airlines or how did you go about buying just a "doggie" tickets?

Bluey
Jan. 28, 2009, 07:43 AM
When you fly a dog, are there specific airlines or how did you go about buying just a "doggie" tickets?

Dogs generally fly if small under your seat, if large as cargo.

Since the airlines only accept one or two dogs in the cab per flight, you need to get reservations.
For cargo, there are restrictions depending on the weather, as dogs in crates have to wait to be loaded outside, so if it is too cold or hot, the airlines won't ship dogs.

Our dog club gets asked regularly for someone to help with a leg of a journey for a dog traveling thru here, so if you want to go that route, ask your local dog clubs to organize some such trip, or for part of the trip to where you can get to yourself.

If you want to fly a dog, call the different airlines and ask how they go about that.:yes:

pintopiaffe
Jan. 28, 2009, 01:57 PM
It was very cute, when I had my Aussie pup shipped up, the pilot apparently fell in love. ;)

4Martini
Jan. 29, 2009, 10:50 AM
Get your dog from the prison!

http://www.coloradoci.com/?puppy

Look at available dogs.

They take puppies and dogs from puppy mills, rescues, shelters and people who can't keep them anymore. They then live with an inmate trainer in their cell for 2-3 months receiving mucho training. Then they are adopted out. You get a non-puppy well trained dog and you are taking a dog that otherwise might not have found a home. I think they will even take breed requests. You can even request that they teach them special things that are important to you. We requested ours learn "no bark" and not learn "speak" since we didn't want her to annoy the neighbors.

Our dog came from this program and I would never get a dog anywhere else!

Good luck!

IFG
Jan. 29, 2009, 12:45 PM
That Colorado Correctional facility site has a Standard Poodle. They are great pets. Fit most of your needs. Settle down when you do, but high energy when you are ready to play. Very obedient off leash, and fun to be with.

Bluey
Jan. 29, 2009, 05:26 PM
That Colorado Correctional facility site has a Standard Poodle. They are great pets. Fit most of your needs. Settle down when you do, but high energy when you are ready to play. Very obedient off leash, and fun to be with.

All true, just remember you have to keep them groomed, best once a month by a professional groomer.
You can learn easily to do it with some clippers, as all a pet poodle needs is a puppy clip, not a fancy one.

People are either poodle people or not.
I have seen some do well on ranches, working cattle even, as hunters and of course they shine in all kinds of dog activities, shows and as pets.

IFG
Jan. 29, 2009, 08:48 PM
All true, just remember you have to keep them groomed, best once a month by a professional groomer.
You can learn easily to do it with some clippers, as all a pet poodle needs is a puppy clip, not a fancy one.

People are either poodle people or not.
I have seen some do well on ranches, working cattle even, as hunters and of course they shine in all kinds of dog activities, shows and as pets.

Yeah, we just clip our poodles once a month. We keep the coat really short, and they are fine, even in the Northeastern winter. In summer, with a short coat, you just hose them off.

Foxtrot's
Jan. 29, 2009, 09:10 PM
You would be pretty safe running with a nice attractive Dobie alongside. They can be the best of dogs and the worst of dogs. Nothing compares to a good Dobie for loyalty,
obedience, being a mind-reader, subtle, clean ..... They are used in K9 because of their steady temperaments and bravery (if they are one of the good ones).

Summerwood
Jan. 29, 2009, 10:42 PM
I have two border collies-- they are most happy when they are with me regardless of what I am doing. They are rarely on a leash anywhere and it just would not occur to them to run off--they might miss out on some type of job I have for them! Bc's unfortunately end up in shelters often b/c of their high energy demands and real need for a job. However, I have found mine are happy with any job as long as they are included. I also agree with the posters recommending rescues--pick a breed and then research that breed's rescues in your area. They will screen the dog and let you know if they think it will suit your needs. I think you are smart to stay away from a puppy with your lifestyle. Good luck!:winkgrin:

SweetLatte
Jan. 31, 2009, 08:14 PM
Wow, thank you ALL so much for the great advice. Prison dogs are something that I've never thought of, but I was a HUGE fan of the Mustang program tha they had in my home state for years. Their dogs are pricey, but it looks like they have some nice ones and the cause is really a great one.

I do love Standard Poodles and have considered them, it seems like they are very rarely out there for adoption/rescue. Also, I do love Doberman. Growing up, we had four and they were for the most part wonderful dogs. If I found a nice one, I would be very tempted, but atleast with the ones that we had, they tended to be very sensitive to change.

Thank you Summerwood, your dogs sound like very fun companions.

Foxhound
Jan. 31, 2009, 08:31 PM
Since you would have the dog with you most of the time, and it sounds like you would be able to give it a good amount of exercise, I would recommed something from a herding breed, like a Border Collie or an Australian Shepherd (or some sort of mix with a lot of herding breed in it). These dogs frequently end up in shelters because their owners are not able to give them enough attention or exercise. WHen trained properly, they are very good about sticking close off-leash, they can be protective of their people, and they are big enough to deter those with bad intentions (without being so large as to make them hard to fit in a car). You have the kind of lifestyle that would make you an ideal Aussie owner.

Check out www.aussierescue.org for a list of dogs in your area.

Griffyn
Jan. 31, 2009, 10:47 PM
Gees! I wish I had that problem- having to look for a dog... they always seem to find me. Just mention that you are looking and dogs will start coming out of the wood work! I do like my Boston as far as portable, adaptable, but not nec fierce looking running partner. I have had Dobies for 25 years for that! No advice really, but good luck finding that perfect road dog/best friend.

SweetLatte
Feb. 1, 2009, 09:28 PM
Griffyn, it's kind of ironic, isn't it? I suppose the reason I've asked is because my needs are fairly specific, even though adult dogs seem far more readily available than puppies.