PDA

View Full Version : Crazy afternoon at the Farm...neighbors from hell

mroades
Jan. 23, 2009, 10:16 PM
I was teaching 3 girls in the jumping ring, barn owner was teaching a beginner on the other side of the barn...and this red pickup drives in the driveway...a little faster than we would like. So we all stop to see who it is and where he is going. He drives to BO's house gets out and when he finds no one home, he climbs back in the truck and proceeds to gun it backwards and forwards, SLAMMING on the brakes in between! He then leaves rooster tails of dirt as he drives up to the barn. He slams the brakes so hard all of the crap he has in the bed of his truck flies out. He gets out, picks up all of the crap (beer cans, etc) and THROWS it all back in the bed of the truck. He then stomps over the the beginner ring and starts YELLING at the BO. "You called the bleep bleeping cops on my dog!! If I see your horses in the road I am gonna kill them!!" He then gets back in the truck...and cuts a 1 foot deep ditch backing up, hitting a paddock gate in the process. Then he drives out of the driveway at 50mph, almost hitting the handyman who was backing out from the workshed. Seriously, if Lumpy had been one second sooner or faster, we would have had a HUGE wreck in our driveway!

Needles to say, the sheriff was called and we now have a trespassing order against the guy...but I dont think I will be sleeping much.
Oh did I mention he lives across the road and has been arrested before?
We are so afraid he is going to hurt a horse or a dog or a kid.....sigh

Touchstone Farm
Jan. 23, 2009, 10:50 PM
Are you sending him a bill for replacing the gate? What a jerk. I just can't imagine going around in life so angry. Life's way too short. Stay vigilant...and safe.

Acertainsmile
Jan. 23, 2009, 10:54 PM
Hey, we have a crazy neighbor too!!! Rumours are that he had been in jail, but we dont know what for...So far it's really been his GF that seems to be the real loon... calls the police on the BF, and whoever else she imagines bothers her....so far we have had their gigantic pig loose on our property (my TB's were horrified)... my hubby fed it about 20 ace pills to keep the dang thing quiet after getting him into a stall... neighbor came over with his truck and they "hog tied" him and loaded him into the barrell of a tractor and dumped him in the guys truck...

The police head down their driveway often for unknown reasons... the GF loves to hog the narrow road we live off of, usually when she see's me coming in with my horse trailer in tow.. she just parks her SUV right in the middle of the road... we've had her kid get his truck stuck in our ditch...but we were pretty chicken when it came to going and knocking on her door about it... we try to live in harmony, we really do...

No fun having whackos for neighbors... be careful!

mroades
Jan. 23, 2009, 10:55 PM
Actually, the gate works better now. And our two deputy sheriff's names were Carter and Bush...you cant really make this stuff up....lol
Oh, and I did call on his not-neutered chow cross that was in my mare field nipping at the mares heels a few months ago....

mkevent
Jan. 24, 2009, 08:29 AM
OMG those are the neighbors from Hell!!! I recently posted what I attempted as a tongue-in-cheek rant about my neighbors (who I don't dislike and are very nice) and now I feel really guilty!! I had some ex-boarders this crazy and mean and I know how you feel-Good Luck-keeping my fingers crossed that they decide to move elsewhere (or maybe it's decided for them!!)

TikiSoo
Jan. 24, 2009, 08:50 AM
Usually I am the one who says, "Try gently speaking with the neighbor in a friendly sort of way to make them aware of the problem before calling the police."
Glad you didn't go that route, wow.

Also very glad the kids/horses remained calm. Many horses would launch into orbit!

Obviously this guy doesn't know the diff between right and wrong. I can bet his dog is "entire" because he doesn't want to "emasculate" him.
Dumbass.
(sorry, an ass is smarter:yes:)

fivehorses
Jan. 24, 2009, 09:39 AM
I have learned not to mess with people. In other words, not to cause trouble, by reporting things to the police.
I had a neighbor who built on the property line a garage, ignoring set back regs. I spoke to him first, he basically told me to f off and that I owned so much land, what difference did it make.
So, I went to the town and asked them to look into it. His garage had only been staked out, so there was not building yet.
Town told him to do the setback, but gave him row over my land(a few feet) for his driveway.

But, for two years, every two weeks like clockwork, he filed a complaint regarding smell, manure, noise, etc. It would be to a different state department, and by law they were required to come out. I actually become very friendly with some of them, since I'd see them so often. And since I wasn't doing anything wrong, they actually began to sympathasize with me.
None the less, it drove up my blood pressure and caused me great stress.

then he began cutting the invisible fence for the dogs, and baiting them into his yard with hamburger. He then wrote letters about his fear for his and his family's safety and that he would have to protect himself against my mean dog. Dog was btw, tested to be so mellow, she was drafted for therapy dog for kids to read to. Cops told me, he is going to shoot your dog, and make it look like you were the one at fault.

Having neighbors that are whacko, such as yours is no fun. Ignore his dog, or put up no climb fencing. Just think the beating that poor dog took after the cops left.
I know we sometimes think, its my property, my rights, etc, but I guess I have learned, life is short, and its a lot easier to avoid problems or correct them on your own.

People can be whacky, and I know what having that neighbor did to my health and life for the short two years he lived next to me. It isn't worth it.

I am sorry what you went through, but if he is that much of a hot head, well, heck, next time, he could show up with the dog, shoot it in front of you all, and tell you problem solved. People are very nuts and loose canyons, so be careful how you tread.
JMHO and so you know, I am by nature a fighter, but really who has the time or patience or wherewithall to always be on edge or in a fight. UGH.

snbess
Jan. 24, 2009, 10:24 AM
These kinds of stories just make me so happy to have the neighbors I have. Nice, basically mind their own business, help each other out when needed kinds of neighbors.

You have my sympathy!

eventchic33
Jan. 24, 2009, 10:36 AM
Mroades~~~~ keep a video camera handy in the barn or somewhere with quick access to it. The next time he shows up, and he will, get him on tape. Cell with video cam anything to protect you as he WILL most likely do something else stupid to you guys. You may also want to have a plan in place to remove kids from the area if he shows up again, kinda like a fire drill. There's no point in exposing the kids to the crazy person and the parents would probably be much happier if they knew there was a plan in place to protect their kids even if its just from bad language. I have had it happen to me, the guy was jacked up on some drug or another and came over to get his revenge.

Jan. 24, 2009, 11:32 AM
A friend had a neighbor that had an intact Aussie that kept coming to her farm. Owners were nice but wouldn't do anything about the dog. He was a nice dog but didn't need to be there with lots of little kids and ponies. The dog showed up when the vet was there working on some ponies, dog got neutered. Vet did it free and used super glue instead of sutures, dogs long hair covered up scene of the crime. A few months later Friend saw dog owner and asked how the dog was doing since it hadn't visited recently? "Dog is doing great and has grown up into a very loyal stay at home dog, we just adore him now. I guess he just had to mature."

I will never again complain about my neighbor who is an alcoholic, but the worse thing she does is talk trash about people and bring me hot chocolate when she sees me schooling a pony when it is cold and a diet Pepsi when it is hot.

SLW
Jan. 24, 2009, 03:02 PM
I'm sorry your stuck with this now. If I've sized someone up as an asshat and one of their critters is causing my dinky place some grief, I deal directly w/ the critter and just keep waving at the owner.

vacation1
Jan. 24, 2009, 03:21 PM
Actually, the gate works better now.

:lol:

cloudyandcallie
Jan. 24, 2009, 03:21 PM
M
watch out for revenge.
The usual method is either poisoning the dogs/horses or opening gates.:eek: k

Time to put a lock on the gate and keep all away from the pastures near the road.

This is one of those times when it is best for the bad guy to be afraid of you instead of vice versa.

added: Now this neighbor does qualify as a "cracker"

JSwan
Jan. 24, 2009, 04:08 PM
Sorry for your troubles.

Think security system.

It's cheaper than you think - and there is fabulous technology out there that works great for farms or rural properties.

Seriously. It's not expensive and may help prevent a gate from "accidentally" being opened if you know what I mean.

pAin't_Misbehavin'
Jan. 24, 2009, 04:21 PM
He then stomps over the the beginner ring and starts YELLING at the BO. "You called the bleep bleeping cops on my dog!! If I see your horses in the road I am gonna kill them!!" . . .
We are so afraid he is going to hurt a horse or a dog or a kid.....sigh

You're right to take his threats seriously. Almost the exact same thing happened to a friend of mine. Crazy neighbor kept three or four loose dogs that he knew attacked horses. Kids would ride by, dogs would attack. One mare came home with a four inch tear out of her vagina. BO wouldn't call AC, because she knew what would happen. But of course finally a parent of one of the kids called AC.

Neighbor began a campaign of terror every time he saw anyone from that barn riding along the road. Well, except for one man, who always rode with a pistol on his hip. Anyway - neighbor would run for his truck, speed up beside the horses, and cause the truck to backfire. Or try to force the horse into a ditch if he could catch them where there wasn't a verge to escape onto.

Oh, and he deliberately ran over one of the farm dogs and killed it.

BO was finally forced to tell everyone they could only ride on the farm or trailer off it to ride somewhere else.

Document everything, have people ride out with camcorders if possible, and call the police every.single.time. something happens. It's shockingly difficult to get the police and/or the prosecutors office excited about this sort of thing - they tend to treat it as a prank unless they are horsey themselves and realize that kind of crap could get someone killed.

CallMeGrace
Jan. 24, 2009, 06:04 PM
I have been having a terrible time with psychotic bosses, but I am glad they get left at work and I don't have to deal with horrible neighbors. You all have had some terrible experiences....:(

PonyPile
Jan. 24, 2009, 07:03 PM
Ya'll have some scary stories!

My mom has a dude with an aggressive unneutered GS. He is so big! I befriended him as a pup, to try and keep him friendly. The owner is a real beat-up-the-wife SOB, almost hit me when I prevented him from hitting the dog while it was on my moms property. As the dog grew older it was just to angry, untrained and dominant. It growled at me one day, so I picked up a rock and hurled it at him and screamed bloody murder for him to git. He did. I felt bad for him, but what can ya do? Although I am now seriously wondering if I can get him neutered on the sly. Or find him a far off home.

I live in the city, but have great neighbours on both sides. The one side we have an older couple, ones a drunk and ones a chain smoker- when they open thier door you can smell the inside of thier house, but they are nice.

The other side is a young family like myself.

eventmom
Jan. 24, 2009, 08:03 PM
I must have your neighbors cousins! Actually, they are one house over. We often tell our direct neighbor between us that we LOVE their land!
Anyway, they moved in about a year ago.
They have a six year old boy that is COMPLETELY unparented, unless you call yelling at the top of your lungs, parenting. Poor kid. But at this point he is a complete wild child. No respect for authority. He came over once when it snowed and he saw my kids out playing. Just ignored my requests that he go home. He was just walking into my friendly neighbors house regularly, until she threatened to call the police.
They have garbage growing on their property. I tell people I thought it took years to create that whole junk up the property thing. Oh no, they showed me that it only takes weeks, complete with cars, toilets, etc...
Upon first visit, they told us they like to shoot dogs, and yes they have a criminal record, etc... but how am I supposed to keep my dogs out of all that marvelous garbage?
They are running some kind of a halfway house over there. Different strange people all the time. None of it makes any sense, and we aren't asking.
Oh, and they brought a big ol deisel truck. (she uses it to store garbage over, under, and in) She likes to go out in the middle of the night and rev the engine....placed quite deliberately as close to my friends house as possible.
They turned me in for having a compost pile (I kid you not!) I think she is like a kid who doesn't know how to go about looking for friendly, positive attention, so fine, negative attention works :eek:
btw, I really don't have much of a compost pile. My horses live out 24-7. The guy that responded to the complaint laughed.
And one last thing to keep it horse related, they got a couple of cute little ponies. Problem is, I don't think they have had a vet, or a farrier, etc... in the 9 months they have been there. I have tried to get a look at the feet, but the poor guys are afraid of people and won't let me close.
Frankly, when your neighbors are this scarey, you just stay away.
What makes people like this?

Go Fish
Jan. 24, 2009, 09:47 PM
I must have your neighbors cousins! Actually, they are one house over. We often tell our direct neighbor between us that we LOVE their land!
Anyway, they moved in about a year ago.
They have a six year old boy that is COMPLETELY unparented, unless you call yelling at the top of your lungs, parenting. Poor kid. But at this point he is a complete wild child. No respect for authority. He came over once when it snowed and he saw my kids out playing. Just ignored my requests that he go home. He was just walking into my friendly neighbors house regularly, until she threatened to call the police.
They have garbage growing on their property. I tell people I thought it took years to create that whole junk up the property thing. Oh no, they showed me that it only takes weeks, complete with cars, toilets, etc...
Upon first visit, they told us they like to shoot dogs, and yes they have a criminal record, etc... but how am I supposed to keep my dogs out of all that marvelous garbage?
They are running some kind of a halfway house over there. Different strange people all the time. None of it makes any sense, and we aren't asking.
Oh, and they brought a big ol deisel truck. (she uses it to store garbage over, under, and in) She likes to go out in the middle of the night and rev the engine....placed quite deliberately as close to my friends house as possible.
They turned me in for having a compost pile (I kid you not!) I think she is like a kid who doesn't know how to go about looking for friendly, positive attention, so fine, negative attention works :eek:
btw, I really don't have much of a compost pile. My horses live out 24-7. The guy that responded to the complaint laughed.
And one last thing to keep it horse related, they got a couple of cute little ponies. Problem is, I don't think they have had a vet, or a farrier, etc... in the 9 months they have been there. I have tried to get a look at the feet, but the poor guys are afraid of people and won't let me close.
Frankly, when your neighbors are this scarey, you just stay away.
What makes people like this?

Drug dealers...don't aske me how I know :mad:

mroades
Jan. 24, 2009, 09:52 PM
Sorry, was gone all day judging a show...
My farm has been here for 20 years, and this guy moved in 2 years ago, and yes, he bought, not rented (dagnabbit) There are covenants, and they are being looked into....

I know its better not to make enemies, but he CANNOT drive in here that way again, we have too many kids and kids taking care of their own horses (gasp!)

We are looking into gates with codes.....

mroades
Jan. 24, 2009, 09:56 PM
Yeah, we are thinking meth maybe....
Oh and tonight, he sent his teenaged boy child out with his unmufflered 4-wheeler to run up and down the road in front of the BO' house, revving the engine and doing donuts in the road....horses went nuts...we are so scared its going to escalate.

I think we will do a drill, and I will keep a video camera around. Actually one of the moms was taping the lesson, but she was so unglued, she clicked it off instead of on when he was speeding out of our driveway.

Oh, and I saw his dog two miles down the road tonight on the way to dinner....

I need a cocktail...lol

Trevelyan96
Jan. 24, 2009, 10:14 PM
I hate to admit it it, but I'm the type who just will not back down from a fight and all my neighbors (crazy and sane) know it and I've pretty much got them convinced that I'm the craziest of all.

I have one who is totally anal and complains about everyone, but she steers clear of me because she knows I'll spend countless hours and dollars to 'win' LOL.

And we have one who just does crazy stuff... threatened a few kids with a gun when they wandered onto his property and followed someone riding and gunned his engine to spook his horses. I knocked on his door and told him that any time he looked crosseyed at my kid or horses, I'd call the cops. It was a case of calling his bluff, since I knew that he was so 'private' because there was something going on there that he didn't want anyone else to know about.

Funny thing was, when we had a really bad snowstorm, he came around and helped DH plow out all the neighbors driveways. DH and DD just shake their heads and tell everyone that yes, I'm crazy dangerous when it comes to protecting me and mine, LOL.

ETA: Eventually... once I convinced all the other neighbors to start calling the cops on him for every little thing... he moved.

SLW
Jan. 24, 2009, 10:21 PM
We live rural and have proofed our horses on .45 caliber sidearms & shotguns being discharged 30' from them. They may only tolerate that in their barnyard but the intent was to desensitise to any gun encounter and so far it has worked when out riding. A gunshot only gets an ear flick.

As for unsupervised kids discharging guns, I'd check county laws on that. Sounds horribly wrong. :(

eventmom
Jan. 25, 2009, 07:39 AM
Drug dealers...don't aske me how I know :mad:
Is there anything that I can, or should do about this?
One more story:
Last week my neighbor found wild child playing on her swing set. She went out and told him to go home (again:(), anyway, as he was leaving he noticed my neighbors boys in the window together. He said something along the lines of keep me away from those mean boys. My neighbor inquired further, and the boy claimed his dad had told him that those boys had a gun and would shoot him if they had a chance!
Is that sad or what.
My neighbor was speechless. What do you say to something like that? What kind of a parent says that to their kids?
Anyway, I am not sure it is drugs, although I admit, I am at a loss to explain how they could have come up with the money for that kind of property in northern va.
They don't seem to be real sharp. He is this skinny little thing that seems to be somewhat of a doormat. She wears the pants in the family. Spends lots of time yelling over there, when she isn't sleeping.
The people they keep are often in their 50's and 60's. Very skinny. She has them work on her property like she owns them. And then they leave, and someone else replaces them. Some of them have been quite nice to my neighbor, but the strange neighbor nips it in the bud.
We have wondered if she is running some kind of halfway house, but I can't imagine that the county would let her. There have also been a few kids over there.

TikiSoo
Jan. 25, 2009, 08:52 AM
I will second the suspicion of drugs. Living in the inner city and being head of my neighborhood watch group, I've come to recognise all the tell tale signs of addiction.

I used to think some people were just "messy". Nope. Any house where you see piled up garbage cans and trash on the lawn is a first indication of a drug problem. Wild children without care or supervision is a good second indication. No visible means of support or regular work routine is another. I hate to say it, but most alcoholics and drug addicts are cigarette smokers as well. (not to say everyone who smokes cigarettes are drug addicts!) And people whose lives are full of anger, drama and overreact have mental issues and often self medicate.

I am forever surprised at how prevelant crack & meth addiction is in this country....so sad because the recovery rate is so very low.

That said, I work out of my home restoring antiques and often have strangers stop in to drop off or pick up items, making things look very suspicious. You will also find old (horse) needles in my garbage since I use syringes to inject glue into loose furniture joints or vaneers. So sometimes the "signs" don't apply to drugs.

eventmom
Jan. 25, 2009, 09:21 AM
I am not denying the possibility that it could be drugs. I admit to wondering that myself. But there are a few things that don't add up in my brain:
1. Why would the woman seem to be doing her best to draw attention to herself? She turned me in for my compost, she revs her diesel engine all night, and other things.
2. Whats up with the old people? It just seems like if drugs were it, we would be talking about younger. The latest one happened when the scarey neighbor got in an accident down on the road right in front of her house. My neighbor ran down there only to find some lady weighing about 70 pounds, white hair, really sick looking, there. The screamer started screamling and gave the evil eye to my neighbor for talking to the poor woman.
Or how about driving a riding lawnmower around your property with some old black guy picking up sticks and placing them in a bucket behind, only to dump them every time you move, and not to worry, he will just pick them up again. I don't know if I am describing this scene very well, but it looked like 21st century slavery.
3. How about taking on animals on her 5 acre farmette.
She now has a cow (she has a little fenced area butted up to her house on the other side (to hide it I suppose), ducks (no water), 3 ponies (no shelter), not sure what else, but I suspect more. Kinda like she is living her version of the american dream.
Just seems to me to be a person looking for trouble because it is the only way she knows how to get attention. If it was drugs, she would be hiding from attention. No?
I guess I am asking for a scenario where adding drugs to this mix makes sense? I am sure she is on all kinds of perscriptions btw. She has confirmed this with my neighbor. When she first moved in, she ran over and spilled her guts before my neighbor could even speak. (thus we learned about guns and dogs and arrests). Much of what she spilled has been proven to be lies of course.

JanM
Jan. 25, 2009, 10:34 AM
Another possibility-they might be taking in people for some kind of 'home care' that medicare or medicaid (I never can remember the difference) is paying for. If there's family money the relatives will finance things like the farm to get the bad apples far away from them-and if I had money I would certainly pay them to stay away. Drugs are a possibility since they frequently move to rural areas, and since they are so skinny I suspect meth or coke-it would explain the paranoia too. If there are still older people there you should call social services and ask who handles investigations of elder abuse-these people are definitely being abused and probably neglected (you can usually make anonymous reports too), and there have been cases of people who take in older people and get insurance policies on them and make the 'caregivers' the beneficiaries. Something is definitely rotten over there and someone needs to find out what it is.

Did you look for a criminal background on http://criminalsearches.com ? Not all states list criminal prosecutions online but it is a possibility-good news South Carolina does list all kinds of crimes online! Watch your back.

eventmom
Jan. 25, 2009, 10:49 AM
Another possibility-they might be taking in people for some kind of 'home care' that medicare or medicaid (I never can remember the difference) is paying for. If there's family money the relatives will finance things like the farm to get the bad apples far away from them-and if I had money I would certainly pay them to stay away. Drugs are a possibility since they frequently move to rural areas, and since they are so skinny I suspect meth or coke-it would explain the paranoia too. If there are still older people there you should call social services and ask who handles investigations of elder abuse-these people are definitely being abused and probably neglected (you can usually make anonymous reports too), and there have been cases of people who take in older people and get insurance policies on them and make the 'caregivers' the beneficiaries. Something is definitely rotten over there and someone needs to find out what it is.

Did you look for a criminal background on http://criminalsearches.com ? Not all states list criminal prosecutions online but it is a possibility-good news South Carolina does list all kinds of crimes online! Watch your back.

So I went to that website. Her husband has 5 offenses against him. All of which are related to animals in some way. 2 appear dropped. 3 he was found guilty of. cruelty to animals and animals at large (?).
The strange thing is that they have him for two different years of birth. But I am sure it is the same guy.
Thanks for the website!
I have been thinking to call about the people. Just not sure who.

pAin't_Misbehavin'
Jan. 25, 2009, 03:16 PM
Yeah, we are thinking meth maybe....
Oh and tonight, he sent his teenaged boy child out with his unmufflered 4-wheeler to run up and down the road in front of the BO' house, revving the engine and doing donuts in the road....horses went nuts...we are so scared its going to escalate.

I think we will do a drill, and I will keep a video camera around.

Geez. Sounds like how my friend's situation started. Although, in the silver lining department, none of her horses will react in the least to four-wheelers or firecrackers anymore.:)
Good luck. I hope everybody stays safe. And the video camera is a good plan, cause not only will it give you a date and time stamp (which, in my friend's situation, turned out to be very important) but it will also show police/solicitor/whomever how serious the situation might become.
I never figured out the pulling up beside a ridden horse and backfiring the engine maneuver. I guess the SOB was too damn dumb to figure out the horse could've come through his windshield as easily as it could have thrown its rider in the ditch.

cloudyandcallie
Jan. 25, 2009, 03:42 PM
Geez. Sounds like how my friend's situation started. Although, in the silver lining department, none of her horses will react in the least to four-wheelers or firecrackers anymore.:)
Good luck. I hope everybody stays safe. And the video camera is a good plan, cause not only will it give you a date and time stamp (which, in my friend's situation, turned out to be very important) but it will also show police/solicitor/whomever how serious the situation might become.
I never figured out the pulling up beside a ridden horse and backfiring the engine maneuver. I guess the SOB was too damn dumb to figure out the horse could've come through his windshield as easily as it could have thrown its rider in the ditch.

The backfiring has been going on since the automobile was invented. When I was a kid, back in the dark ages, everyone was nice on all the roads, except one guy with a motorcycle. Everytime he saw any of us out riding, either just kids or us with the adults in our riding club, the guy would get right by us, and make his bike backfire. Only one horse was spooky, and that guy had to put him down in the ditch by Bethesda orphanage one time to escape the bike rider.
Missy, keep the dogs and horses away from the property borders by the road. Poison is a real threat, an old southern custom of revenge wreaked upon unsuspecting animals. My aunt and uncle in Orangeburg had their flock of sheep poisoned years ago after my uncle shot a dog that was caught in the act of killing a lamb.

pAin't_Misbehavin'
Jan. 25, 2009, 04:12 PM
Poison is a real threat, an old southern custom of revenge wreaked upon unsuspecting animals.

A poisoner is the lowest life form that could possibly exist, and I say anyone who does away with a poisoner is doing the world a favor.:mad: I cannot imagine the combination of cowardice, stupidity, and cruelty it takes to put out poison. They deserve to receive exactly what they dish out - painful slow deaths that no one can ever seem to pin on anyone.

CandC has a good point. Can you tell I know some awfully sad poisoning stories?:no:

Valentina_32926
Jan. 26, 2009, 04:35 PM
Actually, the gate works better now. And our two deputy sheriff's names were Carter and Bush...you cant really make this stuff up....lol
Oh, and I did call on his not-neutered chow cross that was in my mare field nipping at the mares heels a few months ago....

Next time shoot dog then take it away from your property and dump it for the gators/vultures to eat but do NOT tell him you did it. If he shows up at your door look him in eye and say "I haven't seen your dog today" which will probably be the trutth since he won't come knocking the first day it goes missing.

cssutton
Jan. 26, 2009, 05:09 PM
In some states there are age limits on how old a kid must be to ride a 4 wheeler unsupervised. I don't know the law in VA.

As for the dog, it is a felony to shoot a hunting dog unless the dog is a clear and immediate danger to livestock or persons Otherwise, you can not shoot him for any reason.

So you have a real problem. You could shoot his dog, but by the same token he could shoot yours claiming it was about to kill his ducks or whatever.

Anyway, you should keep your dog at home.

As for cutting a dog fence wire, for a couple of hundred you can buy a still camera that is set off by motion detector. They can be bought that work with infra red, no flash so he will not know it is there. They have a camouflage color so they can be hidden in a tree, barn or whatever. Get a couple and put them in strategic places.

CSSJR

If we do not wish to lose our freedom, we must learn to tolerate our
neighbor's right to freedom even though he might express that freedom
in a manner we consider to be eccentric.

cloudyandcallie
Jan. 26, 2009, 05:46 PM
A poisoner is the lowest life form that could possibly exist, and I say anyone who does away with a poisoner is doing the world a favor.:mad: I cannot imagine the combination of cowardice, stupidity, and cruelty it takes to put out poison. They deserve to receive exactly what they dish out - painful slow deaths that no one can ever seem to pin on anyone.

CandC has a good point. Can you tell I know some awfully sad poisoning stories?:no:

Yeah like my aunt and uncle's entire flock of sheep in Orangeburg years ago.

Well I have the solution, but everytime I suggest it, I get flamed. But it is not a slow death altho it does involve some poisoning............lead.

pAin't_Misbehavin'
Jan. 26, 2009, 07:14 PM
Yeah like my aunt and uncle's entire flock of sheep in Orangeburg years ago.

Well I have the solution, but everytime I suggest it, I get flamed. But it is not a slow death altho it does involve some poisoning............lead.

Did you know SC has a special statute making it perfectly legal to shoot a dog engaged in killing sheep? Just sheep, though - other stock don't have such a specific statute. Go figure - SC not being known as a big wool-producing state.

danceronice
Jan. 26, 2009, 07:46 PM
Next time shoot dog then take it away from your property and dump it for the gators/vultures to eat but do NOT tell him you did it. If he shows up at your door look him in eye and say "I haven't seen your dog today" which will probably be the trutth since he won't come knocking the first day it goes missing.

Yeah, where my family lives, next time that dog ran loose it would be shoot/shovel/shut up. The locals aren't big into livestock chasers.

And if I were the BO I'd invest in a .22 and/or a decent shotgun. Not necessarily for the dog--especially if there's meth involved these people may be completely crazy.

mroades
Jan. 26, 2009, 07:59 PM
I am not a gun user...and BO is not either.....

danceronice
Jan. 26, 2009, 08:09 PM
Might be time to get over that prejudice. 911 doesn't come to save you from the crazies. They get there in time to clean up your body and take evidence.

If you can't handle killing the dog, lure it in and take it to the pound as a stray. Either the guy will have to bail it or it'll be destroyed.

Tom King
Jan. 26, 2009, 08:29 PM
I have known of cases like this and the only surefire way to be rid of them is to buy them out.

cloudyandcallie
Jan. 26, 2009, 09:03 PM
I have known of cases like this and the only surefire way to be rid of them is to buy them out.

Right. You buy them out or run them out.
Or they run you out.
That's why you can have a wonderful farm or barn, and have the neighbors from Hades make your place unlivable.
It pays to be the person with a 45. My horses/dogs/cats, always confined, stay pretty safe since no one wants to mess with their "Ma". Learned that from my father, who was a crack shot, when we never lost an animal or a mailbox to teenagers who were out for mischief. Altho when I was teenager, the teens doing wheelies on a lawn around the bluff at Beaulieu had the back window of one's parents' car shot out by an irate father--cops told the kid's father they they wouldn't take a report.:lol:

Someone over there at the barn should have a gun. That is the South Carolina low country, everyone has a gun.

cloudyandcallie
Jan. 26, 2009, 09:11 PM
Did you know SC has a special statute making it perfectly legal to shoot a dog engaged in killing sheep? Just sheep, though - other stock don't have such a specific statute. Go figure - SC not being known as a big wool-producing state.

The Gramling family (my uncle's family) in Orangeburg had sheep flocks many years ago. Don't know why as sheep are magnets for killer dogs.

I hope things will calm down at m's place. I'd be careful having the dog locked up or doing anything to to the guy's dog, cause even if that dog gets run over by someone else on the road, the guy is going to blame M and retaliate. Human nature and human reasoning.

mroades
Jan. 26, 2009, 09:55 PM
Dang I need to get some sheep....lol

equinelaw
Jan. 26, 2009, 11:29 PM
Dang I need to get some sheep....lol

Killer sheep with BIG teeth:winkgrin:

Curiously
Jan. 27, 2009, 12:37 AM

Easy. Fence. Underground fence. Leash.

Pick one. :rolleyes:

oldenmare
Jan. 27, 2009, 06:26 PM
Gates with codes, driveway alarms, security cameras - look into all of it.

Driveway alarms are fabulous "after hours" - live out in the middle of nowhere and I appreciate the warning they give (I have gated entry and alarm is set there - so 99% of time, its definitely a human that triggers it. Of course, in my case, its usually the meter reader from the power company, but still nice to have a head's up that someone is coming. I also have a friend who is a cop that will drop in occasionally if he sees my lights on - he has yet to figure out how I always know he's coming......

cloudyandcallie
Jan. 27, 2009, 06:34 PM
Oldenburg mare is right. M, remember when the cars were broken into at Sue's? I had a cop who worked county and was retired from Atlanta PD come by often.
Ditto when I moved to Mary's as people kept driving up by her private barn. Cop followed the guy home and he never came back after a little talking to.

If your BO furnishes some coffee and offduty fishing, the cops will come by often to check on you. And a bathroom in the barn is a great plus, plus soft drinks in the summer in a frig.

oldenmare
Jan. 27, 2009, 06:37 PM
ALSO - writing about my cop friend made me think of this - find a law enforcement officer to discuss this situation with - thus you are making them aware of the situation & hopefully getting some knowledgable advice on how to handle psycho neighbor.

I've know this cop for over 20 yrs (before he was a cop) and he has been very useful with situations (like the guy who was semi-stalking my sister for a while but not enough so to press charges - he happened to be a cop, too)... its amazing how bringing in someone on a not-official basis can assist you with these problems.

Also - you might request increased patrols on your road - again - get some advice from the local authorities and make them aware that this guy is posing a THREAT to your property and livelihood.

You need to be PROACTIVE.... and not wait to be reacting...

llsc
Jan. 27, 2009, 06:48 PM
Most states have adopted very good stalking laws. Get a lawyer and have him get in touch with the local and state police and tell them that you are very aware of the stalking laws and that you expect them to enforce them.

gabz
Jan. 27, 2009, 06:53 PM
This is scary.

Re: the drills. Had one at a boarding barn for the littlest kids. Anytime someone yelled "loose horse" they were to flatten against the walls and get to the office.

For the riders, identify a safe zone where everyone should gather. If necessary, they dismount and get into the stall with the horse.

And... I know of some folks who have bought non-working video cams. Rigged them up with a red light running off a battery to make it appear to be working. Mix the non-working ones in with a working one.

And.. yes, encourage local law enforcement to stop by every now and again when they will be noticed by neighbors. Tickets to movies, food, etc., are usually welcome. (MY company used to have season passes to nearby events. When they were offered as freebies, I sometimes grabbed them and dropped them off at a nearby police or fire station.)

mroades
Jan. 27, 2009, 07:45 PM
BO's husband wasnt here when it happened, and he thinks we are overreacting....sigh. And there is not $$ for any kind of security right now...double sigh....

The officer that came, Bush, has arrested this guy before, and said he would be watching him like a hawk.