PDA

View Full Version : Suburban Neighbors-why me?

mkevent
Jan. 23, 2009, 04:59 PM
Ok-I'll admit up front that I like my neighbors, but they aren't horse people and sometimes, they just don't get it!! When I built my barn, I put my riding arena behind the barn (for easy access) and on the highest part of the property. Since all the properties are long and narrow(250 ft frontage), we are all sort of close in proximity to the neighbors. My arena is about 20 ft from the propery line and maybe 50 ft from the side of their house. Shouldn't be a big deal, right? Well, over the course of the years they've added to the side of the house between my property and theirs:
1. A big trampoline
2. Dog yard complete with 3 noisy dogs-1 yappy, 1 hound and an ancient aussie who likes to silently race to the fenceline and bark at the horses when they go past (the fact that she's ancient leaves me hopeful)...
3. A huge shed that was moved from a previous property and deposited at the fenceline at the very far end of my arena-and the tiny space between the fenceline and my arena is the absolute best place to store any unwanted items!
4. A enclosed hot tub with a roof that includes some sort of scalloped fabric that makes lots of noise in the wind!(and it can get really windy out here)
Added to that , in the backyard is a huge pool with decking all around, and a deer that the husband uses for bow and arrow practice(which oddly enough, he seems to always pick the same time to practice as when I ride!)(and that thwwwwwttt sound is really unsettling to mr. spooks-a-lot)
In my neighborhood is a high school which hosts many football games(how many times can you hear a bad version of California Dreaming without wanting to blow your brains out), and a landscape/nursery that tends to get a lot of stone deliveries!(again, usually when I'm riding) You would think I would have the most bombproof horses ever but no, I compete on the spookiest event horse you could imagine!!
It's bad enough to have to deal with the cold-I only ride when my arena is not frozen, but do I really need all this, too?? Actually I'm not mad-it's kind of funny because just when you think it's safe to go outside...
Well, the trampoline did blow away-now it's leaning up against a tree(15 ft diameter, mind you)(the trampoline,not the tree!)-that was a great spooking diversion for my horse but he seems to be past that now.
Today, an entire flock of buzzards decide to fight over something(probably something the neighbor killed?) and they were behind the big shed, so my horse could hear them, but not see them. Anyway, I'm trying to jump school with these huge buzzards randomly popping up and down like some macabre jack in the box from a bad haunted hay ride!! Does it get any better than this?? Thanks for the opportunity to rant..I feel much better

JanWeber
Jan. 23, 2009, 05:08 PM
Sounds like you lead an interesting life. As a point of reference, do you know your township's zoning ordinances on barns and arenas? Believe it or not, that giant sandbox in your backyard is considered "livestock equipment" the same as your barn or run-in, depending on where you live. I live in the heart of horse country and we had to have permits and adhere to setbacks when we added our arena. I started referring to it as "the strip mall in my back yard" because of the number and cost of the permits we had to get. Your neighbor probably doesn't have permits for his stuff, either, though...

jazzrider
Jan. 23, 2009, 05:09 PM
Well, you could look at the bright side -- you probably have very de-sensitized horses that don't spook at much! :lol::lol:

They probably tell their friends they have this crazy neighbor who has horses and spent a ridiculous amount of money on a bunch of gravel and all she does is ride her horse around in circles. Aren't they trained yet? :winkgrin::lol:

dalpal
Jan. 23, 2009, 05:12 PM
:lol:Well....it could be worse. You could have asshole neighbors who hate your horses and are doing their damnest to make you get rid of them (not happening to me, but I've heard horror stories). For example. A friend of mine owns a dog rescue. She has 7 acres. The house near hers came up for sale...now, these people had to have noticed the many, many spotted dogs in her yard when they came to look at the place....but they bought it anyway and now are video tapping her property, calling AC, you name it...trying to shut her rescue down......Good lord, it's not like she moved in ON them.

I boarded at a farm years ago, where a next door neighbor hated the arena dust and tried to shut her down. I remember the night where he snuck into his car and video taped us undercover. :lol:

So, I would take the messy, somewhat annoying neighbor over one who is malicious and nosey anyday.

Does that help? :lol:

mkevent
Jan. 23, 2009, 05:45 PM
Actually, I posted this to be kinda funny( I have a wierd sense of humor) I do consider myself lucky that they are nice people and they have to right to do what they want with their property-it's just ironic that all the scary stuff happens to be on my side! But hey-luckily I finally learned this summer to ride through my guy's spook so I always have something to practice my skills on!
BTW-I did make sure everything was done correctly through the township-I'm kinda paranoid that way-it is entirely possible that my estimation of distances is NQR-so it sounds worse than it is!

Tiki
Jan. 23, 2009, 05:54 PM
Actually, with nice neighbors it sounds like a perfect place to make a horse bombproof so he won't spook at shows. Maybe you could get them to come over some time and sit around your arena and clap and cheer to finish the 'training'. :winkgrin:

Summit Springs Farm
Jan. 23, 2009, 05:56 PM
OMG!!I guess I'll stop complaining about mine then!!!

All I can say is WOW, now don't flame me for this, but sometimes I feel like we paid alot of $$$$ for our property and should be able to enjoy it without the "influence" of the neighbors.

One neighbor told me that when I was building my barn, I made all the snakes run over to her property. I told her "I told those snakes to stay here, but they didn't listen!!":eek:
Then another one, came to the fence line while I was on the tractor mowing and said "See that pony, that's my daughter and the pony does not like you mowing." I thought to myself, OK I have 3 at my barn I need to ride instead of this mower, and maybe her daughter could get off her pony and mow for ,so I could ride mine!!
Anyway, I said, well I'm almost done and off I went.
I've had them call the county on me, the fire dept and the police(when we first bought the property a neighbor called to say people were on the property).
Anyway, you seem to be handling it better than I. But I do agree with the poster that said there are building codes or whatever that limit some of what you've had to deal with.
Keep up the great attitude!!

katarine
Jan. 23, 2009, 06:07 PM
I'll trade you a meth dealer ( I think ;)and a mechanic who works on and tests out drag cars on the county road, enjoys endless target practice, his barking idiot dogs 24/7 and him endlessly running a dull chain saw that I swear has died a thousand deaths. The noise pollution from those 3-4 people on one plot of land is unreal. I well and truly hate those people.

TikiSoo
Jan. 24, 2009, 09:02 AM
Thank you all for reminding me that the suburbs are no sanctuary.

I live in an inner city (while my horse lives on a country estate ;) ) where the houses are like 6 ft apart. Whenever anyone says, "How do you put up with your neighbors?" I just say city dwellers kind of realize the population is so concentrated they CAN'T bother neighbors without consequence, like someone calling the police. And believe me, inner city people are afraid of the po-lice.

pj
Jan. 24, 2009, 10:34 AM
Actually, I posted this to be kinda funny( I have a wierd sense of humor) I do consider myself lucky that they are nice people and they have to right to do what they want with their property-it's just ironic that all the scary stuff happens to be on my side! But hey-luckily I finally learned this summer to ride through my guy's spook so I always have something to practice my skills on!
BTW-I did make sure everything was done correctly through the township-I'm kinda paranoid that way-it is entirely possible that my estimation of distances is NQR-so it sounds worse than it is!
We have a neighbor who NOW is the best neighbor you could imagine. Never complains, never bothers you, only waves when they see you But when they first moved next to us I stayed angry all the time. They did like your neighbors and Everything had to be on this side of their property. Never mind that there are only woods on the other side and behind them. Their children's trampoline, basket ball hoop, badminton set ALL had to be just a few feet from the fence. This meant, of course birdie, balls, etc. were forever coming over the fence which they would climb to get them back. Their wood pile, tractor ALL had to be right up against our fence. Once I caught them dumping their leftovers over the fence into my pasture!! They started taking down trees and guess what!? They actually pushed the trees against the fence and set..them..on..fire! I pitched a screaming fit about the leftovers and I REALLY pitched one about the trees. Since the tree thing they've been different...Thank you, Lord. The children are grown and gone now and it's just nice. They even mow our road frontage in front of the pasture fence for us. I was spoiled for many years as we have timberland on one side of us and behind us and where they live used to be just woods, too. I know I was spoiled but I think I would have been fine with them if they had had any respect for the property line. They did things so close I told my dh that if we didn't have a fence between us they'd have been using our property as their own.

mkevent
Jan. 24, 2009, 12:09 PM
Thanks pj- you actually made me feel a whole lot better. I know these are nice people and they just don't understand-and I don't want to be the @#$% who complains every time they want to do something in their own backyard! This is the price that you pay when you live in the country but still close to people! On the other hand, they also call if anyone's horses get loose, or if someone suspicious is in the driveway. We do help each other out and I would never want to ruin what is a good relationship if there is a way I can work around the issue without offended anyone. I do think,however, that this does explain partially why my track record with some of the "hotter" green horses that I've owned hasn't been so great!! Thanks again-it's nice to know I'm not alone and there are always people with helpful insight!

pj
Jan. 24, 2009, 08:20 PM
Thanks pj- you actually made me feel a whole lot better. I know these are nice people and they just don't understand-and I don't want to be the @#$% who complains every time they want to do something in their own backyard! This is the price that you pay when you live in the country but still close to people! On the other hand, they also call if anyone's horses get loose, or if someone suspicious is in the driveway. We do help each other out and I would never want to ruin what is a good relationship if there is a way I can work around the issue without offended anyone. I do think,however, that this does explain partially why my track record with some of the "hotter" green horses that I've owned hasn't been so great!! Thanks again-it's nice to know I'm not alone and there are always people with helpful insight!
:LOL: I forgot about the go cart. The children had a go cart and they rode it up and down the fence so close I was afraid they would hit their shoulders!! Back and forth back and forth for HOURS! The dust that would float over (gag)
I hope things will work out with your neighbor, I know I sure got tired of having jangled nerves but it's bad to have hard feelings between neighbors. You've got to see them most every day even if you don't have to talk to them.

deltawave
Jan. 24, 2009, 08:29 PM
Look on the bright side--given enough time and exposure, your horses will surely become bomb-proof! :D

Trevelyan96
Jan. 24, 2009, 09:25 PM
Don't feel bad... I actually had the HORSE neighbor from hell. We live in a subdivison and I had all the neighbors calling and complaining about her all the time. She was just basically totally inconsiderate. When one of the non-horsey neighbors complained b/c she'd tracked manure into her garage, her answer was... "that's what living in the country is". She left crap in the middle of the road 20 feet from her paddock! ARGHHH!!!! I had to bust butt trying to keep the peace so that the HOA wouldn't vote to not allow any new horses in the neighborhood so my property could keep its value as a nice turnkey horse property. Huge sigh of relief when she divorced and moved back to the west coast.

Sounds to me like your neighbors just feel like all the 'not so pretty' stuff should be kept on your side of the property. At least you like your neighbors. I have a couple that I would gladly export to Jupiter.

dalpal
Jan. 24, 2009, 10:36 PM
OMG!!I guess I'll stop complaining about mine then!!!

All I can say is WOW, now don't flame me for this, but sometimes I feel like we paid alot of $$$$ for our property and should be able to enjoy it without the "influence" of the neighbors.

One neighbor told me that when I was building my barn, I made all the snakes run over to her property. I told her "I told those snakes to stay here, but they didn't listen!!":eek:Then another one, came to the fence line while I was on the tractor mowing and said "See that pony, that's my daughter and the pony does not like you mowing." I thought to myself, OK I have 3 at my barn I need to ride instead of this mower, and maybe her daughter could get off her pony and mow for ,so I could ride mine!!
Anyway, I said, well I'm almost done and off I went.
I've had them call the county on me, the fire dept and the police(when we first bought the property a neighbor called to say people were on the property).
Anyway, you seem to be handling it better than I. But I do agree with the poster that said there are building codes or whatever that limit some of what you've had to deal with.
Keep up the great attitude!!

ROTFLMAO.....great response, did she have anything to say after that comment?

mkevent
Jan. 25, 2009, 10:28 AM
pj-OMG my neighbors had a go cart,too!! But it was one of those cheapy kind that every time it hit a bump, it looked like some huge prehistoric bird trying to take off!! My horses really hated that thing-luckily, it broke!! Now the husband has some kind of big motorcycle that he takes out mostly only in good weather- I swear that thing lacks a muffler!! My instructor is in Florida now and every week I call her and tell her how lousy the weather in NJ is, how little I'm now riding, and what new things the neighbors have gotten. We have lots of laughs on this!!

pj
Jan. 25, 2009, 11:42 AM
pj-OMG my neighbors had a go cart,too!! But it was one of those cheapy kind that every time it hit a bump, it looked like some huge prehistoric bird trying to take off!! My horses really hated that thing-luckily, it broke!! Now the husband has some kind of big motorcycle that he takes out mostly only in good weather- I swear that thing lacks a muffler!! My instructor is in Florida now and every week I call her and tell her how lousy the weather in NJ is, how little I'm now riding, and what new things the neighbors have gotten. We have lots of laughs on this!!

:lol: Mine has a motorcycle, too, but it's a small one that I think he rides to work in the summer.
With all this kind of stuff going on you DO end up with bomb proof horses. I kept saying that to myself as a chant. "Bomb proof horses, bomb proof horses, bomb proof horses." It helped.
Oh, yeah..one more. My house is fifteen hundred ft. off the road, their house is about three hundred ft. behind our house and to the side. EVERY fourth of July they used to come right opposite of our house to set off their fire works. On this side of their property of course! I wondered if they wanted to make sure THEIR house didn't catch on fire but then I decided that <laughing> they only wanted to "share" their fireworks and make sure we saw them. It went down better that way. :)
ps Did you see where I told about them setting trees on fire up against our fence? Bet you can't top that one!! :lol:

Sansena
Jan. 25, 2009, 11:52 AM
I used to board where the riding area was right next to the road, and abutted their back yeard. My horse is now used to:

Flags AND flagpoles IN his riding area
Trampolines, and the accompanying children/ adults bouncing
Leaf blowers (backpack, push and handheld varieties)
Chainsaws
Lawnmowers
20' tall Decorative LOUD windmills
Swimming pools w/people including beach balls & floaties
Road Bicycle marathons
Electric kiddie cars
Toddlers on tricycles on gravel driveways
Teenagers practicing their rock band act
The sounds of tennis on concrete, live, but just out of sight (including groaning & shouts)
Dogs circling him while riding & laying down in his path (he jumps well).

But he's still terrified of sunlight streaming on a boulder.
**sigh**

mkevent
Jan. 25, 2009, 02:12 PM
Hahaha! You guys both have me beaten!! Yes the fire on the fenceline was a doozy-before I fenced in my back acreage I had the fields planted in a pasture mix-well, the husband got drunk with his buddies and decided to 4 wheel all over my pasture!! Had to explain that my grass had a purpose and it wasn't for drunken escapades!! He was apologetic-it's just than they just.don't.get.it!!
BTW-my horse is a real spook-makes me wonder how worse he'd be if I didn't have all this going on next door!! Thanks for the laugh!

pj
Jan. 25, 2009, 04:36 PM
Hahaha! You guys both have me beaten!! Yes the fire on the fenceline was a doozy-before I fenced in my back acreage I had the fields planted in a pasture mix-well, the husband got drunk with his buddies and decided to 4 wheel all over my pasture!! Had to explain that my grass had a purpose and it wasn't for drunken escapades!! He was apologetic-it's just than they just.don't.get.it!!
BTW-my horse is a real spook-makes me wonder how worse he'd be if I didn't have all this going on next door!! Thanks for the laugh!
Not on the fence LINE but on the fence! They actually burned up some wooden fence posts!

mkevent
Jan. 25, 2009, 05:38 PM
I'm laughing even more...(obviously my reading comprehension skills a bit lacking)

Mozart
Jan. 25, 2009, 06:01 PM
Neighbours..Ah yes. We have similar long and narrow properties (and the brainiac land planners never forsaw problems when they allowed this kind of subdivision in mixed use areas?????). Our neighbours on one side are very nice and we like them a lot..I just wish he didn't have such a wicked slice on his golf swing...since I tend to find his golf balls in my paddocks all the time. I am trying to tell myself that it wouldn't actually kill a horse to be hit by a golf ball...

Neighbour on the other side, who views my riding on my property as an invasion of her privacy(??????) likes to try to annoy me out of my riding ring by playing a classic rock station just slightly off station.... or playing "It's Raining Men" over and over again.....

Now on the bright side, the outlaw biker guy down the road is gone, along with his Harley revving colleagues..since he apparently is in witness protection after testifying on his business associates....

Yup..gotta love it :lol:

pj
Jan. 25, 2009, 06:01 PM
I'm laughing even more...(obviously my reading comprehension skills a bit lacking)
I think it's just that it's so hard to comprehend that anyone would do something like that and think it was okay that it didn't register. :)

Frank B
Jan. 26, 2009, 09:56 AM
One thing came to mind when I read your post (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2WlYgDe1Vs). :lol:

We have a black-powder enthusiast as a neighbor. We just let him know when we're going to have a show or event and he schedules around it. Otherwise he just bangs away. Thanks to him and the NASCAR and NHRA tracks just across the ridge, we have the most bombproof horses in the area.

Know what scares the whiz out of the horses? The guard donkey at the farm next door!

mkevent
Jan. 26, 2009, 02:12 PM
Hahaha!!! My husband has a friend from Texas that sings the Green Acres song to me every time I get on the phone! Thanks for the laugh!!

BuddyRoo
Jan. 26, 2009, 02:35 PM
I don't have my own farm...I'm just recalling one nightmare place we had the horses when I was a kid.

The property was owned by a very nice elderly lady. She lived on the property. Also on the property was a trailer in which her daughter and daughter's two teenage kids lived. The kids were ROTTEN.

We leased the property including the barn for our horses. The deal was that they were to stay out of the pastures (the kids that is).

Anyway....when I was first starting my mare under saddle, I was about 15. I can remember it being MAYBE the 3rd or 4th time I'd backed her. The teenage boy came out and was SHOOTING AT ME with a beebee gun! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

LOL It was always something with that kid. I can remember him setting off bottle rockets, other assorted fireworks, riding his motor bike in the pasture, etc....all when I was riding. I will say that my mare IS the most bomb proof horse I've ever met though.

gieriscm
Jan. 26, 2009, 02:55 PM
The former owner of the land I own tried to burn down a neighbor's house. The neighbor was very glad when we bought it and the other guy moved out of the state!

2DogsFarm
Jan. 26, 2009, 03:02 PM
While I sympathize, I see your trampoline/junk-filled yard and raise you:

1 NQR neighbor who expressed concern that motorcycles were upsetting my horses when they went past (my large pasture fronts the road).
I told her if they were upset they could retreat to the far end of the pasture, furthest from the road.
That 4th of July she proceeded to have a very loud, prolonged fireworks fest in her front yard...directly across the road from the pasture. I found spent bottle rockets in the field the next day.
Um...so the fireworks were different from the motorcycles because :confused:

2 neighbors who fly ultralight aircraft right over the pastures. Low enough so I can wave to them. Horses don't seem to care about these large "birds".

Snowmobilers who use the fields behind my pastures for a racetrack. Horses sometimes feel compelled to join the race. So far noone has been hurt & I think it's good for my Old Guy to stretch his legs on occasion as, Lord knows, I rarely gallop him anymore...

And finally the neighbor whose property is "down the road a piece" (can't see my acreage from his). Before I built my barn he stopped to express concern over which way the barn would be facing because:
<drumroll>
"We don't want the view changed"
Huh? Before my barn was built it was a beanfield, looking at other beanfields.
Scenic in a kind of Andrew Wyeth Christina's World kind of way...

Takes all kinds :rolleyes:

Of course I'd be interested to know what they are saying about the Crazy Old Lady who lives on the farm alone, mows her pasture with a lawn tractor and appears to have let a good part of the property go back to weeds*

*wildflowers! it's wildflowers!!!

mkevent
Jan. 26, 2009, 05:53 PM
My neighbors get a good laugh out of me, too. I had 15 tons of permaflex(rubber) footing delivered (years ago, when I was in a bit better shape) and had to move all the rubber, by hand, around my large dressage arena. Took me all weekend with a wheelbarrow and shovel, and I'm sure they still laugh at this moron who obviously works much harder than her horses ever do!!(or the rest of my family, too!!) Oh well, at least we all get along!
PS-my family (parents and brothers) actually gave me crap when they came over for July 4th and I wouldn't let them shoot fireworks on my property!!(sometimes I think I'm so misunderstood....)