PDA

View Full Version : Which Muck Boot?

NoDQhere
Jan. 23, 2009, 04:41 PM
I am needing new boots for what is left of winter and into muddy Spring. I think the Muck boots sound great, but which one? I don't need the Artics as I have boots for "really cold". I need them for cold but muddy days. There are so many of them, Chore, Hoser, Tack Classic, what is the difference between them?

Sakura
Jan. 23, 2009, 05:06 PM
I have these (http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=143931&storeId=10551&catalogId=10001&langId=-1) and I LOVE them... they are the only muck boots that I have owned that have not died on me one way or another... they are going on their third year and when I hose them off they look as good as new!

Go Fish
Jan. 23, 2009, 07:43 PM
I have the same boots Sakura has, although mine come just above the ankle. If you deal with really deep mud, then the knee-highs would probably be better. If you plan on doing a lot of walking with them on, take care on the weight. The knee high boots really weigh a lot and my legs were tired at the end of the day. I found the ankle boots a bit lighter to deal with.

These boots are Gortex...totally waterproof and very warm. I love them. Not cheap, though. I think I paid around $60 for the ankle-high. They are very durable.

myrna
Jan. 23, 2009, 07:56 PM
I have the lower Scrub boots and my husband has the chore boots.The chore boots have a better sole on them for walking around all day,more tread.Great boots!

easyrider
Jan. 23, 2009, 09:02 PM
Love my hosers. They've got a great sole and they're high enough to protect my legs from the muck, the snow, etc. They're also pretty lightweight compared to the Muckmasters and Arctics (which my SO has). Muckbootsonline.com has a great description of the different boots.

Sparky Boy
Jan. 23, 2009, 09:08 PM
I have these (http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=143931&storeId=10551&catalogId=10001&langId=-1) and I LOVE them... they are the only muck boots that I have owned that have not died on me one way or another... they are going on their third year and when I hose them off they look as good as new!

I wear those twice every day. Love them. Mine are about 2 years old. Very comfy and surprisingly warm. Unless it's VERY cold, I just wear normal socks. Only time I don't wear them is in summer, they can get hot.

Mali
Jan. 23, 2009, 09:19 PM
I love my Hosers. I have the mid-calf ones, and I often roll down the tops (to the outside) to make them shorter. They are super warm, and I often don't even bother putting socks on! I've had them about 4 years or so, and they still look great! I also have the Muck Clogs and the Camp Shoe. I wear the Camp Shoes when it's not muddy, and the clogs in the summer. I'm tempted to get the Brit Middies, but have heard that they aren't as warm.

tuppysmom
Jan. 23, 2009, 09:57 PM
I have the Muck brand "chore" boot and I really like them. I am in them at least 10 hrs a day. You might want to consider a boot dryer to dry them and warm them at night.

ASB Stars
Jan. 23, 2009, 10:05 PM
Another vote for Hosers.:yes: GREAT for those icky, or cold, days!

WaningMoon
Jan. 24, 2009, 09:09 AM
So is gone for 2 weeks and I have been using his Muckmasters ,knee highs, and I love them,j just love them. I have a debilitating spine condition and I don't find them heavy but maybe Im used to heavy footwear, I don't know. I am going to get me some soon but thinking of hte tack something, like the tread better and the arch support as well as the stronger toe.

SMF11
Jan. 24, 2009, 07:33 PM
I think the Tack Classic has steel toes to help protect your feet from being stepped on. I have them now, and some other kind the past two years (till my puppy chewed them up!) and both fit/felt the same (great!).

Nezzy
Jan. 24, 2009, 08:14 PM
i have the tall CHORE boots and they are awesome. i half dumped a bucket of water on my lower legs one day. Not a bit of it reached me. I love these boots and the Chore have traction so you don't slip and fall. ( well, unless you are not so graceful, in which case you'll fall in whatever you wear.)

Bluey
Jan. 24, 2009, 09:24 PM
I use these $9.- black rubber boots, with two pairs of socks, that you get at feed stores, called knee high irrigation boots.
They have lasted forever, that is why I have not tried any of those expensive ones yet.
I sprung a leak once and put a dab of rubber cement, the same we use to patch tires and it sealed it fine.

It has not rained here forever, but when it does, we have boot eating mud and these have a hiking boot type sole and good support, so they can handle much.

Glad to know if mine ever die, there are such nice ones out there.

dressagejudy
Jan. 24, 2009, 10:52 PM
I love my "MUCK" brand muck boots. I have short ones for the summer and the 12" in the winter/muddy season. I've been wearing mine all winter with just one pair of socks and my feet have been staying warm in the single digit temps we have been having this winter. But I don't remember them sweating in the warmer weather.
Judy

dserthorse
Jan. 25, 2009, 12:53 AM
I'm in VA, and I have had the daily mudmucks and the camp shoes for most of the year, and the chore boots or the hosers for winter. Love 'em, love 'em, love 'em. I wear these every day to the barn (3x daily minimum) and with the seasonal change, they are not too hot, warm enough, comfortable, durable, easy to walk in and work in, waterproof and cleanable. I've watched their line expand greatly, and I see here why- I though I was the only horse person who loved these, but I see they are deservedly popular. I started getting them back when they only had two or three varieties. Got my DH hooked on them, too. Terrific work boots!

Laurel

WaningMoon
Jan. 25, 2009, 07:51 AM
I think the Tack Classic has steel toes to help protect your feet from being stepped on. I have them now, and some other kind the past two years (till my puppy chewed them up!) and both fit/felt the same (great!).

Steel toes, then I don'/t want them. I'll have to check the Co. description again, I thought it said reinforced toe. But if that means steel then they are out. I have had a steel toe cut outt of my toes once in htee early 70's and it will never happen again. Well that sucks. Guess I'll look at other models. Thanks.

Mali
Jan. 25, 2009, 03:02 PM
Steel toes, then I don'/t want them. I'll have to check the Co. description again, I thought it said reinforced toe. But if that means steel then they are out. I have had a steel toe cut outt of my toes once in htee early 70's and it will never happen again. Well that sucks. Guess I'll look at other models. Thanks.

I'm pretty certain that they are only REINFORCED (which basically means an extra layer of rubber).

seabreeze
Jan. 25, 2009, 03:13 PM
I have the Mudruckers brand mid-boot. And. I. LOVE. them. During the recent cold snap here in VA I could go out in them without socks and my feet weren't cold. We've had a few "warm" days (in the 50's), too, and my feet have been perfectly comfortable. The footbed is cushy, plenty of room for my toes (width-wise), easy on and off, and lightweigt.

Did I say how much I LOVE THEM?!?!

NoDQhere
Jan. 26, 2009, 08:34 PM
Thank You all for your help. I went with the Mid Height Chore boot from: http://www.outdoor-headquarters.com
On sale no less!

Sparky Boy
Jan. 28, 2009, 08:16 PM
As much as I love my muck boots, I found out today that they have no traction in the slippery snow and ice we've gotten.

NoDQhere
Jan. 29, 2009, 12:37 AM
This has been the winter for ice and snow :eek:. I've got "chains" on my winter boots. They have great tread but nothing seems to have traction on glare ice. I've even "spun out" a time or two with my chains on :lol:. I'm ready for Spring.

username
Jan. 29, 2009, 05:13 AM
absolutely LOVE my Muck Boots! I wear them in winter to snowblow using normal socks and my feet stay toasty warm. I also wear them in summer and my feet do not sweat. they are light, clean off easily, and do not retain barn odors. I keep mine in the kitchen by the back door and would surely have noticed by now if they did. got them 10 years ago at Eq Aff and they still look and work like new. hubby will not wear a tall boot so he has the same model in a shoe shape. works just as well although I prefer the protection of the taller boot.

someone noted that they can be slippery on ice. correct. but I have a set of "claws" I use when it is slippery out and have never had a problem no matter what I am doing or how slippery it is.

QVC sells "Get-A-Grip" all purpose slip-on traction spikes for under $20 and they are the very best investment. they are a stretchy sort of rubber mesh with spikes imbedded. they slip on over whatever footweat you have on - easy on and off - and I have never slid while wearing them. in winter they stay on my Muck Boots all the time. just be aware that they can spike your floors so you don't want to wear them inside your house!!! come in sizes that will fit shoes from Women's 5 through Men's 14.

QVC.com "get-a-grip" spikes item # F 05127 do check them out...

WaningMoon
Jan. 29, 2009, 07:53 AM
As much as I love my muck boots, I found out today that they have no traction in the slippery snow and ice we've gotten.

I must have a different style than you do because that's one of hte things I like the best. I have not slipped once while wearing these. I can't say enough for them all around. Here ice and snow is somthing I deal with all winter, it do'nt go away.

SarahandSam
Jan. 30, 2009, 08:09 AM
I have the Chore boots, tall ones... love them for their waterproofing and for being big enough to fit a hand warmer in them. I don't find them exceptionally warm, but then again, I live in Buffalo. I also think they're slippery on ice, and would invest in yak traks or something like that. They are great in mud season--just hose 'em off.

Halcyon Days
Jan. 30, 2009, 11:55 AM
LOVE mine too! I have the knee high chore boots, and about this time of year, I NEED knee high, ugh, the mud is unbelievable. I wear mine for hours a day, and my toes never get cold

easyrider
Jan. 30, 2009, 09:58 PM
Once the ice comes, the yaktrax go on my muck boots.

Nipntuck
Jan. 30, 2009, 10:29 PM
Britt Middies. Fabulous. They keep my feet comfortable between temperatures of 70F and 10F - I'm in NC and we don't get colder than that here. Great foot support and durability. Did I say I love them?

LulaBell
Feb. 19, 2009, 08:22 PM
Bumping this back up, a quick question. I'm doing barn chores regularly for the first time ever, and need to get a pair of muck boots. I've been wearing either my regular paddock boots or my old beat-up Red Wing hunting boots, and I need something else. Would you suggest some of the muck boots or the old-school Wellingtons?

I feel like the Wellingtons are more like golashes than muck boots. Thoughts? Thanks!

Mali
Feb. 19, 2009, 08:44 PM
Britt Middies. Fabulous. They keep my feet comfortable between temperatures of 70F and 10F - I'm in NC and we don't get colder than that here. Great foot support and durability. Did I say I love them?

Anybody that loves the Brit Middies better grab them up while you can - Muck has redesigned them as a god awful ugly "paddock boot"! They've added a big zipper in the front, and they will only come in a darkish brown color (with a tan side gusset). I've been putting off buying a pair of Middies, but will now have to bite the bullet and get a pair before they are gone!

ASB Stars
Feb. 19, 2009, 08:52 PM
There is NO comparison- buy a pair of Muck Boots! They are comfy-warm- they'll keep you out of the mud or snow- they are not comparable to those green things!

Seven-up
Feb. 19, 2009, 09:47 PM
(Edit: I have the boots Sakura posted.) The mid-calf height, and I fold the tops down so they come up past my ankle. I love how there's no break in time, and if you're on your feet all day they're very cushy and easy on the feet.

I get used to the warmness in the summer; it hasn't bothered me too much and I live in a super hot/humid climate. I wear those socks that wick away moisture, and even at the end of the day my feet are dry and comfy.

I'm on my second pair--they last me about a year before they crack across the top of the toe.

The only thing I don't like about them is the traction is somewhat questionable on certain surfaces. I pretty much know what surfaces can get slippery, so I walk carefully on wet concrete, wet rubber mats, etc.

Fairview Horse Center
Feb. 19, 2009, 11:04 PM
I LOVE my Merrell Mocs!!! The quantum mocs are usually needed a size larger

Womans http://www.shoebuy.com/merrell-quantum-moc/200452
Mens http://www.shoebuy.com/merrell-quantum-moc/200343

Mens http://www.shoebuy.com/merrell-shiver-moc/159060/366446?cm_mmc=frooglelist-_-none-_-none-_-none

Warm and waterproof, with super traction. I really have not needed any other shoe/boot in about 5 years. I slop thru all kinds of mud. I HATE wearing higher boots, so these have been a God send. and NO lacing up! :yes: :yes:

NoDQhere
Feb. 19, 2009, 11:39 PM
Bumping this back up, a quick question. I'm doing barn chores regularly for the first time ever, and need to get a pair of muck boots. I've been wearing either my regular paddock boots or my old beat-up Red Wing hunting boots, and I need something else. Would you suggest some of the muck boots or the old-school Wellingtons?

I feel like the Wellingtons are more like golashes than muck boots. Thoughts? Thanks!

We both, SO and I, got the mid height Chore Boot and LOVE them! They are truely the most comfortable boots I've ever worn. Plus they keep you warm and dry. It has been around +12 or so in the mornings and my feet haven't gotten even a little bit cold.

We had to work in cold water and muck for a couple of hours the other day and we both stayed warm and dry.

mysandi
Feb. 20, 2009, 08:59 AM
I love my Chooka muck boots. They come in different colors and have great traction.