PDA

View Full Version : Do your farm dogs GO to the vet, or get farm calls?

pintopiaffe
Jan. 22, 2009, 10:09 PM
pretty pathetic when you spin off your own thread... but...

My dogs get routine care from the horse vet during farm calls, or they tag along to the track for a trailer-in. He briefly checks their eyes, ears, teeth... jabs them, and we're good. I do the vax for horses and dogs that aren't required to be by the vet. I worked at a kennel owned by a vet for a couple years, and learned many vet procedures when working/living on a 4,250 acre working cattle, horse, sheep (& dude) Ranch.

But otherwise... they only go to the office for emergencies or surgery, which <knocking wood madly> are few and far between. That's how farm dogs have always been in my life... do others do it this way still?

I have to say, my vet doesn't require that he gives the annual vaccines to my horses either... he's more than happy to hand ME the shots to give, and even makes me do stuff a lot of times without him actually coming out. ("Oh, you can do that... just do a, b & c..." :rolleyes: ) He often meets me somewhere during the day so I don't have to travel 90 mi to the office, and gives me Rx or supplies too... maybe it's just a weird relationship...

AKB
Jan. 22, 2009, 10:26 PM
We have the farm vet do the routine dog care. In case of a real emergency, I think he would send us to an emergency clinic. Having the farm vet do the dog care is wonderful. Many years ago, I used to have to drag two 90 lb retrievers into the vet's office. One would show his anxiety by growling at every dog in the waiting room. The other would play dead and make me drag her into the office. When my older daughter was a baby, I had her in the front carrier when we went to the vet's office. The male dog was snarling and leaping out at every male dog in the waiting room while I was using all of my strength to try to drag the limp female retriever. I was afraid I was going to drop my daughter out of the front carrier or fall and land on top of her. That was when I decided that we were going to have our routine vet work done at home.

JSwan
Jan. 22, 2009, 10:32 PM
The mountain comes to Mohammad.

shakeytails
Jan. 22, 2009, 10:36 PM
My dogs get rabies shots when the vet is at the farm for a horse visit. All other shots I give them. New litters of Corgi pups go to the vet for tails and dewclaws, but other than that they only go to the vet's office for emergencies, spay/neuter or other problems that I can't resolve myself.

My horse vet will, and has, told me to just come by the office to get meds rather than making a farm call. My small animal vet is cool about letting me buy things like Otomax without seeing the dog, and also drugs like Banamine/SMZs/Bute just to have on hand.

2DogsFarm
Jan. 23, 2009, 06:32 AM
No dogs here at 2 Dogs, but my vet gives me a 10% "multiple pet discount" when barncat gets her Spring rabies shot & tapeworm meds.
This counts if it's a farm call or if I bring them all to the clinic.
I <3 my vet :D

EquusMagnificus
Jan. 23, 2009, 07:24 AM
I have the same relationship with my vet and boy am I going to miss her when we move!!!

We often meet at mid point in a parking lot :eek: to exchange Rx, needles, etc. (I have a diabetic cat too) and samples of all sorts, including manure! :D

The last time, she even did the first checkup on our new puppy in a parking lot!

We have a great great relationship and I really appreciate having her confidence to handle all sorts of manageable health issues. It saves me a bundle of $$$ too and being that my life-long dream was to be a vet, I really enjoy participating in everyting. :)

camohn
Jan. 23, 2009, 07:31 AM
In the past the large animal vet was strictly a large animal vet and would not do small animals/dogs and cats got packed up....but the new vet has a mixed practice so I bet I can get him to do both!!

leakyb
Jan. 23, 2009, 07:50 AM
It sounds great for routine shots, but the dogs still need a heartworm check (annually here in Georgia, but don't know where you live) in addition to an annual exam. The OP says her vet does listen to their heart and gives them a physical annually? I guess he gives them rabies shots and you get a rabies certificate and tag? What about spay and neuter procedures?

I know people don't want to spend gobs if they don't have to, but I do recommend toting them to the vet clinic for routine bloodwork such as HW check, then a weight check, and fecal test. I do routine bloodwork at certain ages for my dogs as baseline values as well. What if there is an emergency? Is there a pet ER? Otherwise, your closest clinic may not take you in after hours if you are not a regular client.

I have show dogs and they seem to never go more than 6 months without having to go to the vet for something!

Bluey
Jan. 23, 2009, 07:51 AM
Many, many years ago, out vet came to tend to the horses and stopped by the house to look at the dogs and cats, visit with Grandma and eat lunch.
I think that eating lunch was the real reason.;)

Once a year, we would shut all barn cats in the tackroom and he would give them their shots.

Today, small animals go to the small animal vets, we haul our horses to our large animal vets.

When my little dog was snakebitten a year ago, her vet called at 9.30 that night to ask if she was stable.
She was not quite, I was about to take her to the emergency clinic, where that vet also works some days, local vets rotate there to keep that clinic staffed.

That vet came over with some supplies and we live out of town and at 10 pm we were giving her medication and more fluids.
That good vet left at 10.30 and on top of that got stopped for driving too fast, as she was driving home, 45 minutes away.:eek:

There is no way you can thank a good vet enough for what they do for your animals.
I always wonder about those that have to gripe about every little perceived oversight from their vets.:no:

I guess that some times we don't realize all they do for our animals, forgotten when things may not suit us.

I would say that, if like us, we had vets here regularly, with a broodmare and race training operation and at least 75 horses here, that the vet treated the dogs and cats right here was handy.
Now that we only have a few older horses and we need a vet rarely and many vets are more specialized, we "haul" horses and dogs to the vets.

yellowbritches
Jan. 23, 2009, 09:47 AM
Both. Our small animal vet is an old, old friend of the boss, and she either comes to the farm when I need her (she's here a lot right now, since her son is riding one of our horses), or I stop by her house with what ever critter needs care. It was FANTASTIC with my old dog, who was a "muzzle" dog prior to this. When this ve would visit her, it was way less stressful. Stella could care less, but it is great for the cats...if I don't have to pack them up and haul them off just for shots, it makes a big difference.

CowgirlDressage
Jan. 23, 2009, 11:23 AM
Our vet does the dogs & cats whilst out doing our horses. They schedule all vaccinations all the way around for spring, when they also pull coggins, etc. If anyone is new, and therefore needs spayed or neutered, then they go into the office.

Love it being done this way, much nicer for all of us. Our vet clinic back home in WA State also did it this way, said it was easier for the people and the pets.

equineartworks
Jan. 23, 2009, 01:18 PM
Farm vets are so scare around here, I was lucky to find a vet for Dumplin' let alone one that will take care of the brood!

leakyb
Jan. 23, 2009, 05:41 PM
We did have the horse vet give our semi-feral barn cats their shots, as they were NOT going to be stuck in carriers for an office visit. It was a real ordeal for them to be spayed/neutered but after that they were corraled somewhere annually for their shots.

mango1612
Jan. 24, 2009, 04:47 PM
I think I'm going to try and get the horse vet to vaccinate the barn cat instead of taking her into the small animal clinic when she's due. I think she'd be happier, I'd be happier and I wouldn't have to spend half a day getting her and taking her (office is a ways from the barn). If not, back to small animal hospital.

A week ago the horse vet did put down an old farm dog. I was so grateful for that, as he was able to pass away at home, quietly, without stress of trying to get the big dog into the car (he was pretty painful in his joints/legs) and his owner wanted to bury him at the farm, too.