PDA

View Full Version : Are there any REAL kink-proof hoses out there?

pwynnnorman
Jan. 22, 2009, 09:03 PM
I HATE my main hose! I paid a mint for it, but it is always kinking. And last month I bought a new hose, paid even MORE for it because it was "kink resistant," and the moment the temperature got above 60 degrees, it kinked just as bad as your average hose (I took it back--to Lowes, BTW, so don't be forewarned: their kink-resistant hose sucks).

Has anyone come upon a hose that absolutely, positively will not kink?

Bluey
Jan. 22, 2009, 09:13 PM
Yes, the one I have is light green and kind of stiff, so it doesn't kink.

I first read kink-proof horses and was going to answer no, just as there are no kink-proof people.:lol:

pintopiaffe
Jan. 22, 2009, 09:18 PM
I posted about this last year. In winter I (usually) run hot water from the bathroom sink out the back door to the water tub. The expensive 'contractor' hose was giving me fits with this.

I was recommended to buy one from Sears that runs about $45

I was planning to get one in December. I haven't had *water* since then, so have not bothered buying said Sears hose.

But several people said it was the one to get.

fWIW.

twofatponies
Jan. 22, 2009, 09:30 PM
This is the second time some has posted a question about "hoses" and I saw "horses" instead... leaking horses, kink-proof horses... I was really baffled for a minute. :D

Cielo Azure
Jan. 22, 2009, 10:11 PM
Look for the expensive "made in the USA" ones. The are the heavy gauge ones. Either a putty color or black.

The expensive "made in China" ones are s**t.

msrobin
Jan. 22, 2009, 10:37 PM
Yes, I have one. My brother was a firefighter and somehow he ended up with one of the small hoses on the truck anyway it is not one of the huge ones they put fires out with it is the booster hose that is on a reel on the truck used to put out small fires like cars etc.
Anyways it is the toughest hose period. Nothing will kill this one. It is thick but, not real heavy.
Of course it will not kink ever EVER! It has no way of kinking.
Only problem is that it is expensive very expensive but it will be the last hose you ever buy period.
Here is a link to one of them there are different brands and sizes mine is 1 1/2" 150 feet.

http://www.edarley.com/darley/catalog.cfm?dest=itempg&itemid=13964&secid=79&linkon=category&linkid=364

Of course you can just search for booster hoses. The connectors can be changed to fit where ever you need it to .

IFG
Jan. 23, 2009, 10:03 AM
I love the Goodyear black hoses or the Sears black hoses. The Goodyear is a bit better as it is 3/4", the Sears is 5/8."

They never kink and stay flexible down to very low temps.

Sparky Boy
Jan. 23, 2009, 10:46 AM
I really don't think so. :no:

I have a thick black good year one that just reaches all the buckets. It will still kink sometimes when I pull it tight. I keep it in a heated room when it's really cold.....

MunchkinsMom
Jan. 23, 2009, 07:29 PM
I just had to buy a new hose, my old one (and it was about 14 years old) finally bit the dust, was all cracked from the kinks, and sprung a leak.

I bought a Gilmore 100FT heavy duty hose (8 ply), comes with a lifetime warranty, if at any time you have problems with the hose, you cut off the two ends, and mail them in to the company for a new hose!

So far, it is working really well with no kinks.

It was not cheap (about $60 at the feed store).

asterix
Jan. 23, 2009, 10:33 PM
I thought this was about kink-proof horses, too (perhaps this was the result of too much wine with dinner), and I was going to explain all about my crazy Irish horse who would have stared down an Abrams tank...

but that's not what we're talking about here.
Carry on :D -- kink-proof hoses are a worthy and important goal. I can't stand the other kind!

Mali
Jan. 24, 2009, 12:50 AM
I absolutely recommend the black rubber "Craftsman" hoses from Sears. They have a lifetime guarantee, and we have yet to be able to destroy one in 12 years! I've run over them with the lawnmower, and hubby drives over them daily in the tractor(s). We probably have close to 1000' feet of them, and never a single problem. It was subzero the past week, and they performed perfectly. I wouldn't even consider any other.

Frank B
Jan. 24, 2009, 08:47 AM
Ditto the Craftsman heavy-duty hoses. We've had ours for years and the only time it got damaged was when *someone* ran over it with the lawn mower. FWIW it bent the blade on the mower.

vineyridge
Jan. 24, 2009, 11:14 AM
About twenty years ago I bought a couple of Sears Craftsman hoses with the lifetime guarantee that were green and not round but hexagonal on the outside. They are still going strong and never kink. One of the pluses of the not round shape is that they can be stored on a hose reel much easier and more space efficiently than other hoses.

I've been looking for that particular hose style ever since, but haven't been able to find it. :( So, slightly off topic, does anyone here know if they are still made and how to find them.

greysandbays
Jan. 24, 2009, 01:15 PM
My cheapie hose (supposedly kink resistant; not the cheapest, but not the priceyest either) is pretty much kink proof -- BUT that's only because I've figured out how to make sure I turn back in the direction that will not create a closed loop that will kink when pulled tight. Each watering, I have to drag 150' of hose from tub to tub, and doing so requires back-tracking four times: right, left, left, right.

OTOH, if you're talking about the kink that comes up by the hydrant end when you pull it too tight, then all you have to do is not pull it so tight -- even if that means getting a longer hose.

Soldier06
Jan. 24, 2009, 03:48 PM
I absolutely recommend the black rubber "Craftsman" hoses from Sears. They have a lifetime guarantee, and we have yet to be able to destroy one in 12 years! I've run over them with the lawnmower, and hubby drives over them daily in the tractor(s). We probably have close to 1000' feet of them, and never a single problem. It was subzero the past week, and they performed perfectly. I wouldn't even consider any other.

Ditto. The black rubber Craftsman hose is the BEST. My poor father went to Sear's 4 times before I approved of a hose. :lol: He bought lots of plasticy non-kink hoses, which were fine as long as they were *perfectly* rolled up and it was warm out. One of them just cracked in half. :eek:

CallMeGrace
Jan. 24, 2009, 03:51 PM
OK , three times now I have read "kink-proof horses", and no, I haven't found many!:lol:

Trevelyan96
Jan. 24, 2009, 10:22 PM

I also recommend these. And the best part... when Rico decided to start playing with the hose while it was hooked up to the pump and break the connection, Sears replaced it for free. Salesman was both confused and amused by the explanation, but they took it.

Needless to say... hose is now on a reel and gets disconnected and put away now. Rico is just a bugger, nothing is safe from him.

JohnnyB
Jan. 27, 2009, 12:55 AM
The craftsman hoses are the only ones I will ever buy again. Twice now I have had to return them...my horse will eat the hose if left in his bucket...each time I walked in with a hose, they asked what length, and brought me a new one. No hassle, no problems. They are great! L

DiablosHalo
Jan. 27, 2009, 09:57 AM
Craftsman from Sears. I also have 1000+ feet of these hoses. They are the best! I drain them daily in the winter time and they haven't cracked, kinked, etc. They are well worth the money!

ASB Stars
Jan. 27, 2009, 12:05 PM
Another vote for the black Craftsman hoses- mine are 10 plus years old- and they get hot and cold water used in them- still perfect.

Long live SEARS!! Especially, in this economy!

Tom King
Jan. 27, 2009, 12:05 PM
We used the Sears hoses for a couple of decades but when I timed the water flow between 5/8" and 3/4" I found we were loosing a good 10 minutes a day just holding a hose. I switched to Flexogen 3/4" after trying several other types of 3/4 hose and we like it the best so far.