PDA

View Full Version : Barn cat may kill me

JBajo
Jan. 22, 2009, 03:02 PM
We have a super sweet barn cat. She wants attention and tries to get noticed by putting her herself directly underfoot and/or wrapping herself around my ankles. As far as I can tell, no amount of attention she gets is enough. She's like a little velcro bowling ball that shows up between my feet at the least opportune times (carrying bales of hay, working with horses) and I have just barely avoided falling flat many, many times. I know cats naturally do this, but I have never seen one so maniacally determined to put me in traction.

Does anyone know how I could train her to stay out of my walking space?

jherold
Jan. 22, 2009, 03:05 PM
Stepping on her a few times usually helps. Also, maybe try training her to sit for attention like a dog. Use a treat. When she sits, pick her up. Then teach her to heal. Then I want to see a video!

Amwrider
Jan. 22, 2009, 03:12 PM
Is she a black cat? I swear, that is probably how the black cat crossing in front of you superstition probably got started....can't see them in the dark doing barn chores then SPLAT as you trip over them.

You can teach them to sit with the help of treats. I did that with Bob (from the jingles for my kitty thread).

MistyBlue
Jan. 22, 2009, 03:13 PM
My indoor cat does that all the time...she's determined to kill me even though if she does then she ain't getting fed anymore. :lol:
If anyone comes up with something that works...I'm all ears. I've stepped on Livi accidentally too many times to count. Doesn't seem to phase her at all. I've also taken headers down stairs, into walls, etc from tripping over her or overreacting to that God-awful "WAAOW!" noise a cat makes when you step on it.
I may just start wearing a helmet in my house. :winkgrin:

pintopiaffe
Jan. 22, 2009, 03:50 PM
:lol: I'm with Misty Blue! The barn cats seem to be doing ok. Though their names are Oxer and Coop(er). :uhoh: It's the house cat, who DOES frequently get stepped on, who will be the death of me. And if it's my first day off work, they won't find my body for three or four days, or until the horses break loose in hunger protest.... :uhoh: :winkgrin:

The thing that gets me is how PISSED the house cat is after being stepped on. C'mon buddy, how is this MY fault???

CanTango1
Jan. 22, 2009, 03:55 PM
We have a barn cat like that... and trust me stepping on this one/Running over with the wheel barrow doesnt help... Shes also NQR in the brain, Shes always been just a little slow.

shade
Jan. 22, 2009, 03:59 PM
:lol: I'm with Misty Blue! The barn cats seem to be doing ok. Though their names are Oxer and Coop(er). :uhoh: It's the house cat, who DOES frequently get stepped on, who will be the death of me. And if it's my first day off work, they won't find my body for three or four days, or until the horses break loose in hunger protest.... :uhoh: :winkgrin:

The thing that gets me is how PISSED the house cat is after being stepped on. C'mon buddy, how is this MY fault???

Yup they get indignent, because we have not gotten out of their way..don't you know that. After all they are CATS and we should bow down in their presence, they are never at fault..they are cats.

mkevent
Jan. 22, 2009, 05:14 PM
My barn cat doesn't try to trip me but insists on getting attention/petting while I'm trying to clean stalls-she sits exactly where I'm trying to clean and won't move! In desperation, I decided to combine cuddle time with mucking time and put her on my shoulder while I continued to clean the stall. Darn if she doesn't stay there for at least 20 minutes, happily purring away-the downside is that I don't want her to fall, so I end up looking like Quasimoto with a pitchfork! Odd thing is, this is the second cat I've had that does this and both have been rescued females!
The only suggestion is perhaps a spray bottle of water(when the weather is warmer, of course)-spray her and utter some word that she'll associate with "get outta the way'!!

Brockstables
Jan. 22, 2009, 06:35 PM
My daughter had a barn cat that she let ride around on her shoulder while she did barn chores. SOOOO CUTE!!!!! Yup, I even let him ride on mine a few times... Then he started stepping over onto you whenever you were close to a wall.
One day I was showing a horse to prospective buyers. I was standing beside the horse's head, talking animatedly with my hands to the visitors, explaining how quiet and gentle the horse was. All of a sudden the cat launched himself straight at my chest and clung a moment, staring me right in the eye. Just as he lost his grip and started scrambling up my front I reacted, shoving him through the air and screaming.
Bless his heart, that horse never moved... Sold him right then and there!
J

MunchkinsMom
Jan. 22, 2009, 07:16 PM
My daughter had a barn cat that she let ride around on her shoulder while she did barn chores. SOOOO CUTE!!!!! Yup, I even let him ride on mine a few times... Then he started stepping over onto you whenever you were close to a wall.
One day I was showing a horse to prospective buyers. I was standing beside the horse's head, talking animatedly with my hands to the visitors, explaining how quiet and gentle the horse was. All of a sudden the cat launched himself straight at my chest and clung a moment, staring me right in the eye. Just as he lost his grip and started scrambling up my front I reacted, shoving him through the air and screaming.
Bless his heart, that horse never moved... Sold him right then and there!
J

That made me laugh out loud! We had a barn cat that would do that, but you had some warning, because he was a talker, so you could hear him coming.

suz
Jan. 22, 2009, 07:31 PM
hahaha---quasimodo with a pitchfork!!

Root Beer
Jan. 22, 2009, 08:56 PM
I welcome our new fuzzy overlords!

I've been aware for years that the fluffy ones have been plotting the demise of their human servants. Indoors, they trip you and get underfoot. Causing grief and injury to the sapiens, particularly around stairs.

Out of doors, I've been victim to the evil plots of my two barn-cats, Stanley and Rocky. Whilst I'm carrying a 50lb bag of feed to the barn, Stanley weaves figure-eights between my feet; and his henchman, Rocky, simultaneously walks backwards on his hind legs boxing my knees. In step with my every stride. They have practiced this drill, to precision. This results in a Step-Stumble-*&#%@*!!!! that delights the kitties to no end.

I'm not sure how to appease the Furry Ones. I've tried a squirt bottle, but they notice if you're unarmed and ambush you with renewed vigor.

I just try to tread nimbly with diligence.

NoDQhere
Jan. 22, 2009, 10:52 PM
I've had good luck training kitties with a spray bottle. A few squirts whenever kitty gets under foot will help convince kitty that there are better places to be ;). I love my cats but don't want a Vet bill or a broken leg because of them!

EquusMagnificus
Jan. 23, 2009, 07:29 AM
My cats (we have 10... heehee) do that all.

The dogs are worse though!

Just continue on with your business, stepping on a few toes by accident (really!) teaches them to back-off ;)

mkevent
Jan. 23, 2009, 07:49 AM
Root Beer-that was absolutely hilarious!!! You really need to get a video!

texang73
Jan. 23, 2009, 09:36 AM
Training, I have no idea... but I have a vision of my lying dead on the kitchen floor from a broken neck from having tripped over my cats as the intertwine themselves amongst my feet/legs, as I walk half-asleep to feed breakfast... So, I feel your pain! :cool:

BigHorseLittleHorse
Jan. 23, 2009, 11:51 AM
My last cat was really tiny, so when I ran into her, my leg kind of pushed her out of the way. Now I'm fostering a Very Large Cat, and it just doesn't work that way anymore :) When I run into the VLC, I'm the one that gets pushed out of the way! He's not deterred by being run into, either... he just gets mad at me for not watching where I'm going...

JoZ
Jan. 23, 2009, 01:37 PM
Oh this all sounds so familiar. The barn cats are prone to jumping onto or rubbing against our heads and shoulders, not so much the feet. But try working with the hay and someone will be hanging off the bales with two paws on the top of your head.

One of my indoor kitties has perfected Human Tripping. Let's say I trip over him with my right foot and take that big, balance-catching step with my left. In that tiny amount of time he manages to move so that he is under my left foot when it comes down. It's the one-two punch.

Once when I was at the vet in the waiting room, the receptionist was making reminder calls. Since it was during the day, she was leaving message for the most part. "This is XYZ vet hospital confirming Fluffy's appointment for Thursday, blah blah blah". I wasn't really listening until she said "...confirming Underfoot's appointment..." Ha ha ha ha ha! Perfect cat name! Still might use it!

smilton
Jan. 23, 2009, 05:29 PM
WHAT PETS WRITE IN THEIR DIARIES.......

Excerpts from a Dog's Diary......

8:00 am - Dog food! My favorite thing!
9:30 am - A car ride! My favorite thing!
9:40 am - A walk in the park! My favorite thing!
10:30 am - Got rubbed and petted! My favorite thing!
12:00 pm - Lunch! My favorite thing!
1:00 pm - Played in the yard! My favorite thing!
3:00 pm - Wagged my tail! My favorite thing!
5:00 pm - Milk Bones! My favorite thing!
7:00 pm - Got to play ball! My favorite thing!
8:00 pm - Wow! Watched TV with the people! My favorite thing!
11:00 pm - Sleeping on the bed! My favorite thing!

Excerpts from a Cat's Daily Diary..

Day 983 of my captivity...

My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while the other inmates and I are fed hash or some sort of dry nuggets.

Although I make my contempt for the rations perfectly clear, I nevertheless must eat something in order to keep up my strength.

The only thing that keeps me going is my dream of escape. In an attempt to disgust them, I once again vomit on the carpet.

Today I decapitated a mouse and dropped its headless body at their feet. I had hoped this would strike fear into their hearts, since it clearly demonstrates what I am capable of. However, they merely made condescending comments about what a 'good little hunter' I am. Bastards.

There was some sort of assembly of their accomplices tonight. I was placed in solitary confinement for the duration of the event. However, I could hear the noises and smell the food. I overheard that my confinement was due to the power of 'allergies.' I must learn what this means and how to use it to my advantage.

Today I was almost successful in an attempt to assassinate one of my tormentors by weaving around his feet as he was walking. I must try this again tomorrow -- but at the top of the stairs.

I am convinced that the other prisoners here are flunkies and snitches. The dog receives special privileges. He is regularly released - and seems to be more than willing to return. He is obviously retarded.

The b ird has got to be an informant. I observe him communicating with the guards regularly. I am certain that he reports my every move. My captors have arranged protective custody for him in an elevated cell, so he is safe. For now................

amdfarm
Jan. 23, 2009, 06:34 PM
OMG, ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Cats, gotta love 'em and they're kinda like potato chips, you can't have just one! :D

Maybeapril
Jan. 23, 2009, 11:47 PM
My husband has gone hunting this weekend so I am a little freaked out by sounds. I just heard the screen door on the back porch opening and slamming over and over again. I slowly got up with my heart pounding thinking somebody was going to be standing on my backporch. I went to the back door and turned the porch light on and I didn't see anything. I turned the light off and heard the noise again. I quickly turned the porch light back on and it was the DARN cat trying to get onto the porch. GRRRRR!! She finally opened the door and got onto the porch. She almost made me have a heart attack! I've been wondering how she keeps ending up on the porch in the morning! Damn cat!

myrna
Jan. 23, 2009, 11:57 PM
One of barn cats is pure black,has beautiful green eyes and 3 legs.She loves attention and gets in the way when you are walking down the aisle.But for pete's sake who wants to step on a 3 legged cat!and her 1 legged hang on a tree or fence post is priceless.

rothmpp
Jan. 24, 2009, 01:17 PM
When I was a teenager, I used to have a kitten that would ride around in the hood of my sweatshirt. Was adorable until she got heavy enough that she would routinely choke me. She didn't see this as a problem.

At the last barn I was at, one of the cats decided that tripping me was not doing the job quickly enough. There was hay stacked in the end of the indoor during the winter (a whole other complaint, but I digress), and she would hide under the hay until I just rode by. And then dart out with the intent of scaring the everliving crap out of Captain Distracto. For weeks I could not get into the last 5-10 meters of the arena. The horse, to this day, thinks that cats are the devil, sent to earth for the sole purpose of killing him.

MajMeadowMorgans
Jan. 24, 2009, 02:13 PM
WHAT PETS WRITE IN THEIR DIARIES.......

Excerpts from a Dog's Diary......

8:00 am - Dog food! My favorite thing!
9:30 am - A car ride! My favorite thing!
9:40 am - A walk in the park! My favorite thing!
10:30 am - Got rubbed and petted! My favorite thing!
12:00 pm - Lunch! My favorite thing!
1:00 pm - Played in the yard! My favorite thing!
3:00 pm - Wagged my tail! My favorite thing!
5:00 pm - Milk Bones! My favorite thing!
7:00 pm - Got to play ball! My favorite thing!
8:00 pm - Wow! Watched TV with the people! My favorite thing!
11:00 pm - Sleeping on the bed! My favorite thing!

Excerpts from a Cat's Daily Diary..

Day 983 of my captivity...

My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while the other inmates and I are fed hash or some sort of dry nuggets.

Although I make my contempt for the rations perfectly clear, I nevertheless must eat something in order to keep up my strength.

The only thing that keeps me going is my dream of escape. In an attempt to disgust them, I once again vomit on the carpet.

Today I decapitated a mouse and dropped its headless body at their feet. I had hoped this would strike fear into their hearts, since it clearly demonstrates what I am capable of. However, they merely made condescending comments about what a 'good little hunter' I am. Bastards.

There was some sort of assembly of their accomplices tonight. I was placed in solitary confinement for the duration of the event. However, I could hear the noises and smell the food. I overheard that my confinement was due to the power of 'allergies.' I must learn what this means and how to use it to my advantage.

Today I was almost successful in an attempt to assassinate one of my tormentors by weaving around his feet as he was walking. I must try this again tomorrow -- but at the top of the stairs.

I am convinced that the other prisoners here are flunkies and snitches. The dog receives special privileges. He is regularly released - and seems to be more than willing to return. He is obviously retarded.

The b ird has got to be an informant. I observe him communicating with the guards regularly. I am certain that he reports my every move. My captors have arranged protective custody for him in an elevated cell, so he is safe. For now................

OMG!! I just forwarded that to everyone I know.

dserthorse
Jan. 25, 2009, 01:13 AM
Does anyone know how I could train her to stay out of my walking space?

Hiss at her. No, I'm not kidding. If she gets in front of or in between your feet, bend down and hiss at her. Preferably before you step on her, or fall trying to avoid her. All my cats seem to understand this easily. It doesn't totally prevent walking problems 100% of the time, but darn close. If she doesn't get it right off, pick her up and move her away from your feet at the same time.

I also use this to warn if I see the neighbor's dog before the cats do, and they seem to understand that in that case, it means vamoose into the hay. The difference is hissing toward them, or into the distance.

I'm really not nuts. It works for me.

Laurel