PDA

View Full Version : Moles

jump4it
Jan. 22, 2009, 03:02 PM
Does anybody else have a problem with moles in the pastures? We can not get rid of them and they have ruined the pastures. Is there anything I can do? Is there anything I can do about the holes they have already created?

mkevent
Jan. 22, 2009, 07:03 PM
Just to clarify, do you mean moles or groundhogs?

jump4it
Jan. 22, 2009, 11:26 PM
moles, they are definitely moles

pony grandma
Jan. 23, 2009, 01:06 AM
:lol: Can you say Jack Russell ?!!! :lol:

We could have leased one of the males that we had, he could have taken care of the county!

sid
Jan. 23, 2009, 01:25 AM
Yup, dogs can do wonders. Though I've never heard of mole ruining pastures..groundhogs, yes. I hate them.

Moles eat my bulbs in my garden and have destroyed my cutting garden that was vast with lillies. Damn them.

Moles have never been a problem with pasture maintenance or vigor in over 25 years in having horses on large acreage.

I suspect the OP is talking about ground hogs, damn them.

camohn
Jan. 23, 2009, 08:34 AM
We have both (hogs and moles).....and the Irish Setter likes to hunt them both. Our cats (both house and barn) like to dig up moles as well. It is a really funy sight to see a cat digging like a dog with dirt flying out between it's legs!

Lambie Boat
Jan. 23, 2009, 08:36 AM
gophers have ruined my pastures. I thought it was moles. To hire a professional to get rid of them would start at $1,650!!! my pitbull will dig after them, but has never caught one, a leaves the holes even bigger. I've heard so many old wives tales: smoke bombs, poison, willigigs (!), water flooding, spring traps, dynamite/M80s, jack russells or any terrier or weiner dog. so far, still have gophers. AND they eat the root crops in the garden.

mkevent
Jan. 23, 2009, 08:40 AM
I remember hearing somewhere that if you can get rid of grubs, you can eliminate moles (easier said than done in a pasture). Our corgis have killed 2 moles in our backyard-I didn't even know we had moles until I found them after the dogs had taken care of them! Now groundhogs-that's a never ending battle!!

TwoFoxFarm
Jan. 23, 2009, 09:29 AM
Not sure if this actually works as I haven't tried it myself, but here's a "Mole Chaser" from Harbor Freight. Says it works for all of those little burrowing critters. For the low cost, it might be worth a try. My question is... Where does it chase them TO?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94661

Best of luck!

JSwan
Jan. 23, 2009, 10:37 AM
Moles will improve your pasture, not ruin it. Moles are nature's soil aerators.

If you have an extraordinarily high number of moles, you don't have a mole problem. You have an insect problem.

Take a spade and lift up a section of sod. Look to see what sorts of insects you have. You may have a high number of Japanese beetle grubs, for example. In which case the moles are doing you a tremendous service. Get rid of the moles, and you have a beetle problem in the spring.

If you do have those grubs in high numbers, you can just dust the pastures with milky spore powder. . That will kill the grubs (livestock safe), and the moles may move elsewhere. Or at least some of them will.

pj
Jan. 23, 2009, 10:46 AM
We thought we had mice in the house and set a trap. Twice we caught something that reminded us of moles. Jet black with short velvety looking hair, slanted eyes (but more eye than the moles or shrews I've seen. Slightly larger than your normal mouse. I've never heard of a mole going in a house and certainly not getting in a trap after cheese but when we saw these things that's sure what we thought of!! Their noses were different, too, but I can't remember exactly how.

camohn
Jan. 23, 2009, 07:51 PM
We thought we had mice in the house and set a trap. Twice we caught something that reminded us of moles. Jet black with short velvety looking hair, slanted eyes (but more eye than the moles or shrews I've seen. Slightly larger than your normal mouse. I've never heard of a mole going in a house and certainly not getting in a trap after cheese but when we saw these things that's sure what we thought of!! Their noses were different, too, but I can't remember exactly how.

voles?

pj
Jan. 23, 2009, 07:58 PM
voles?
Don't have a clue what a vole is..I'll google it. Will let you know. Thanks!

jump4it
Jan. 24, 2009, 12:45 AM
I am almost positive these are moles. We had a neighbor dog kill one in front of my mom and I and it looked like a mole. They are creating holes in the pasture and the tunnels they dig are close to the surface so if a horse steps on the tunnel they sink.

pj
Jan. 24, 2009, 11:54 AM
voles?

Don't think what we caught was voles. The voles that I got on google were all brown or gray and actally kinda cute. These things looked like a cross between a mole and a mouse.
If we ever catch another I'll take a picture of it and maybe someone would recognize it. I googled wild mouse breeds, too, but didn't come up with anything even close.

Guin
Jan. 24, 2009, 08:01 PM
Don't think what we caught was voles. The voles that I got on google were all brown or gray and actally kinda cute. These things looked like a cross between a mole and a mouse.
If we ever catch another I'll take a picture of it and maybe someone would recognize it. I googled wild mouse breeds, too, but didn't come up with anything even close.

Did the little beastie have a tail? Moles have very short tails; voles' tails are a little longer but not nearly like a mouse.

Equsrider
Jan. 24, 2009, 08:29 PM
We have 2 German shorthair pointers and a Jack Russell...Moles,voles, chipmunks, groundhogs have all learned if they want to live to stay away...I've heard that juicy fruit gum stuck down in a mole hole works...they eat it and can't digest it, and die...maybe someone was pulling my leg but hey its worth a try!!!

pj
Jan. 24, 2009, 09:01 PM
Did the little beastie have a tail? Moles have very short tails; voles' tails are a little longer but not nearly like a mouse.
I honestly don't remember the tail so I'm thinking they had one or that would have stuck in my mind. What did stick was being black with a velvet look, small slanted eyes and the nose. Seems as if the nose was more downward than a mouse. :) IF it hadn't been for those eyes I guess they would have been rather cute but the eyes reminded me of a poisonous snake that once got in the electric wire around the chicken pen. Gave me chills to look at those eyes.

Guin
Jan. 25, 2009, 05:46 PM
That sounds like a mole to me. Voles are more mousy-looking and don't have the squinty eyes like a mole.

I confess I am very fond of moles because of a book I read when I was little that had a friendly mole in it. So I will not offer any further extermination ideas!

pj
Jan. 25, 2009, 07:56 PM
That sounds like a mole to me. Voles are more mousy-looking and don't have the squinty eyes like a mole.

I confess I am very fond of moles because of a book I read when I was little that had a friendly mole in it. So I will not offer any further extermination ideas!
I know I don't like to kill anything but can't have them running all over my house. Doesn't seem to me that a mole would actually come in a house or be interested in cheese. :confused: Hope whatever it was we don't get anymore.

mkevent
Jan. 25, 2009, 09:23 PM
The moles my dogs caught had blue(?) flipper looking front legs-they were really wierd looking-didn't look like mice or voles for sure! My barn cat loves to catch voles-they have small holes in the ground that they pop their heads out of every once in a while-I don't think they can see too well because the cat just sits by the hole and waits for them to pop their head out and then catches them-so maybe the "whack a mole" game should actuallly be called "whack a vole"-although cats still couldn't play because they don't have opposible thumbs to hold the mallets with-lol!

circusponydreams
Jan. 28, 2009, 12:37 PM
I recently heard about these poison gummy worms (http://doyourownpestcontrol.com/talpirid-mole-bait.htm) for mole control. :eek: