PDA

View Full Version : Trailer shopping- advice to prevent being scammed please

wishnwell
Jan. 22, 2009, 10:58 AM
I have my eye on a horse trailer that is out of state. Yes it's almost too good to be true so probably a scam, however, most affordable trailers are not local to me. Anyone learned lessons in shopping for used?

Thanks

equusvilla
Jan. 22, 2009, 11:23 AM
Just do not buy it sight un-seen. Pictures can be very deceiving...and don't forget to get up under the trailer even if it is aluminum. You need to inspect the frame.

wishnwell
Jan. 22, 2009, 02:21 PM
Going and seeing will not be possible. In live in the Northeast and it's in the KS. It is an unbelievable deal if it's for real. I was told an Escrow company would be acting as the third party for her??? Sounds fishy but has anyone else dealt with this before and is ligit, how do you find out? If it's for real then I want to act. But can't afford to be had either.

ponygirl
Jan. 22, 2009, 04:06 PM
Don't do it. It's the latest scam! Trust me, as my husband just alerted the Auto Trader website of this scam on a Prius listed with them. Advertised as too good to be true. Car was also in KS if I recall. He thought it was a scam and emailed about the car just to see. Some *woman* emailed back. Very vague. Did not want to give phone number said an escrow would be handling it for her,e tc, etc. Ad was removed. Walk away!

wishnwell
Jan. 22, 2009, 04:13 PM
Thanks,
The more I thought about it, I felt it was a scam. Haven't heard back since I asked "her" detailed questions.

gabz
Jan. 22, 2009, 06:29 PM
If it sounds too good to be true - it's a scam.

No escrow. Work with a dealer. Let them know what you are looking for. That way, if they get a customer that wants to trade-in what you are looking for, they can alert you. Dealers would rather not take trade-ins, but sometimes they can patch people together.

birdsong
Jan. 22, 2009, 06:47 PM
Do NOT do it!!

CanterQueen
Jan. 22, 2009, 08:22 PM
Don't. Just don't do it. Look locally even if that means traveling a bit further than you planned. Well worth it in the long run.

Guilherme
Jan. 22, 2009, 08:46 PM
Going and seeing will not be possible. In live in the Northeast and it's in the KS. It is an unbelievable deal if it's for real. I was told an Escrow company would be acting as the third party for her??? Sounds fishy but has anyone else dealt with this before and is ligit, how do you find out? If it's for real then I want to act. But can't afford to be had either.

It there's real money involved go and look at the trailer. You can go from Manchester, NH to Kansas City, KS for under $200 on Southwest Airlines. Add $150 for rental car, motel, meals, airport parking, etc. and you're in business.

Isn't $350 a pretty reasonable "insurance policy" when dealing with a high dollar cost item? ;)

Note that I picked Manchester and Kansas City based upon the OPs initial information. Go to the Southwest website and select more convienient locations if necessary. :)

G.

P.S. I'll bet the cost of the trip will be cheaper than the cost of an "escrow."

mtngirl
Jan. 24, 2009, 11:56 PM
The police will tell you that in general, if it's too good to be true, it generally isn't.

Is it involving Freight-company-pvt and a used Sundowner trailer? I have a friend that was looking into this also...too good to be true, owner is out of country, trailer in PA, escrow company in KS...we couldn't get any straight answers and if you Google the company, you will find several very negative reports.

Cindyg
Jan. 25, 2009, 03:28 AM
Don't let the seller arrange to ship it to you. Tell him you can pick it up yourself (even if you can't), and tell him no cash exchanges hands until you examine the trailer in person (even if you can't). See if he writes back.

See if he'll give you a physical address and a working phone number. If he gives you an address, look it up on Google maps and see what you find.

Ask him to take a picture of himself holding a sign in front of the left window that says "Hi s6bee!" so you'll have no doubt that he has possession of the trailer.

Ask him for a vin number, then call the mfg and ask if that's a real vin number, or if it's a vin number that has been reported stolen. (I don't know if all manufacturers have this info, but Brenderup did when I called them.)

Ask him to fax you a copy of the registration or bill of sale.

Any of these should weed out a legitimate seller from a scammer.

If I were trying to sell a trailer, in this difficult selling environment, and in a world full of internet scammers, I would take no offense at any of these requests.

Keep looking. I know it's hard. I got my first trailer (online) last fall after being very discouraged by all the scammers.

Badger
Jan. 25, 2009, 07:00 AM
Does the trailer have a shoebox?

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/forum/thread-view.asp?threadid=10907&posts=11