PDA

View Full Version : House water pump froze last night

Jaegermonster
Jan. 22, 2009, 07:19 AM
Last night we had a hard freeze. I thought I had it all covered, left stuff drip etc, but it seems as though the water pump has frozen, or hopefully maybe just some pipes and the water can't get through. Either way, I have no water to the house right now.
at least I had filled up all the water for the horses yesterday.
What should I do to get the pump back running ?

Everythingbutwings
Jan. 22, 2009, 07:26 AM
Mr. Wings has a nifty drum warmer strap that he wraps around things that need thawing. A hair dryer is quite useful if you know where the pipe is frozen.

This site has some helpful tips (http://www.inspect-ny.com/plumbing/De_Winterize_Buildings.htm) along with cautionary advice.

Another one, Tips For Thawing A Frozen Pipe (http://www.helium.com/items/1039760-tips-for-thawing-a-frozen-water-pipe)

Jaegermonster
Jan. 22, 2009, 08:16 AM
Thank you very much!
I have it nice and cozy with a space heater and a heating pad for the moment. I think it's just frozen at the pump that comes out of the wall, but not underground. Hopefully now that the sun is up that will help a little.
I left the faucet drip and there is now an 8" column of ice leading up to the faucet.
Um, hello? Isn't this still Florida?

Will now read what you posted and go from there.
thanks!

Jaegermonster
Jan. 22, 2009, 08:23 AM
THat was very helpful. My husband just deployed again on Monday so I was worried this was the Deployment Curse striking again and was going to be some major deal, like usual right after he leaves.

But I still can't believe I was just looking at ny.com about thawing out my pipes in FL eek!

MistyBlue
Jan. 22, 2009, 08:37 AM
Good Lord...I heard FL was getting colder than usual temps right nonw but I didn't think you'd get temps cold enough to freeze pipes! I'm in CT and I've had the pipes in my house freeze maybe twice in my lifetime.
Hope it thaws out fast for you! As long as the valve is open to allow for dripping/expansion then you shouldn't end up with burst pipes.
Just how cold is it there right now? You guys must be hating this weather, I hate dealing with weather that shouldn't happen where I live.

Jaegermonster
Jan. 22, 2009, 08:42 AM
I have the kitchen tap open so it's a slow drip from there. I can't get the outside spigots open yet, but the one i left on overnight is still open.

I left work at midnight, in downtown Jacksonville, and it was 24 degrees at my farm west of town. There was already ice all over everything when I got home last night. When I got up at 630 it was 18 degrees here.
My weather station says now it is 27. I had to break ice on the troughs with a brick this morning. We've had a frost the last few days and a wind chill in the 30s.
We've had a little ice in the buckets the last week or so, but you could just break it with your finger, no big deal. But this was really something.

My husband keeps talking about wanting to retire to Montana or North Dakota.
He's on crack. He can kiss my butt. This is all the ice I want.

tidy rabbit
Jan. 22, 2009, 08:58 AM
My husband keeps talking about wanting to retire to Montana or North Dakota.
He's on crack. He can kiss my butt. This is all the ice I want.

That was really funny! :)

I'm loading up the horses and heading to your place for some warm weather. You got room for 3? :) I'm sick of the cold!!!!

Jaegermonster
Jan. 22, 2009, 09:08 AM
We could probably just send the MIL though :)
wouldn't be a very long flight on her broom

of course I have room, come on down! You just have to bring your own water for the time being

tidy rabbit
Jan. 22, 2009, 09:19 AM
We could probably just send the MIL though :)
wouldn't be a very long flight on her broom

of course I have room, come on down! You just have to bring your own water for the time being

Oh my gosh, I so wish I could! I've been frozen for days and weeks! I want to ride horses in green grass and sunshine! :)

Here's to hoping you thaw out with no damage!

Over the Hill
Jan. 22, 2009, 10:34 AM
Tidy Rabbit, there is no green grass left anymore. . . the frost killed it all off again. As I was breaking the inch of ice off all my water troughs this morning I told my DH that I wanted to sell the farm and move to Florida. . . . oh, wait, I already live in Florida.

According to the weather man last night, it was warmer yesterday in Chicago than it was here in North Florida. They are saying one more night of these really cold temps before it warms up to the low 40's again at night.

MunchkinsMom
Jan. 22, 2009, 10:55 AM
Yup, I moved down here to get away from this frozen stuff, and last night my barn hose froze at 8 PM! Luckily the spigot was still working, so I had to lug water buckets from the spigot back to the stalls! And this morning, a thin layer of ice on the water buckets in the stalls (first time since I have lived here).

But this too shall pass, and in about 5 months we will be complaining about the heat!

draftdriver
Jan. 22, 2009, 12:44 PM
My water pump froze last Sunday. The heater in the pump house quit. Fortunately, I always have a backup heater on hand, so I put that in place and let it run for 5 hours or so. I had turned off the electric breaker for the pump when I found out the pump was frozen, because I didn't want it to try to come on, and possibly burn out the switch.

So, after 5 hours of heating with the new heater, I turned on the breaker, and the pump cycled. Still no water in the house, though. So I went out with my trusty hair dryer and went to work warming the pipes which are closest to the wall (furthest from the heater). I Managed to get things running in 5 minutes or so.

HOWEVER, when pipes freeze and thaw, all the calcium and iron which has built up on the inside of the pipes breakes loose. Flakes of mineral clogged the inflow tower mechanism of my toilet tank, so I had to take that apart and clean it. Sigh. What a thrilling way to spend a nice, sunny weekend afternoon.

(Note: Don't do a laundry just after thawing the pipes -- you'll get mineral stains all over your clothes.) Been there, done that, worn the T-shirt, orange rust stains and all. :-)