PDA

View Full Version : Electric fence question

ddb
Jan. 21, 2009, 04:06 PM
I'm looking at installing electric tape fencing to seperate some areas in my wooden fenced pasture and to extend past the wooden fence to make an area that will be additional pasture. Eventually all will be wooden fencing, but until we get an idea of the where we want the the solid fence to be I would like to have rotational areas. I've looked at the tape fencing online and the posts don't look like very much - just step ins that hold up the tape, and state for temporary use. The t-post that are sold at Home Depot look stronger, but look like they could cause injury (not coated). I've read that many farms use tape for fencing and wondered what is used for the posts.

Has anyone used the Home Depot (regular construction type) of t-post to install electric tape fencing. My horses are not the type to test the fence esp. if hot, but we all know that can change when scared.

crosscreeksh
Jan. 21, 2009, 08:50 PM
We've always used the small round rope-like electric fence, but when I wanted to "cheaply" fence the riding ring area I used two rows of the 1.5 inch white tape with insulators on painted white T-posts. The visual effect is very nice but.... 1. In the wild Oklahoma wind the tape flutters and stretches quite a bit requiring semi frequent tightening. (special hardware!) 2. The insulators specifically designed for the wide tape are junk!! This month I've replaced almost two dozen that have become brittle and the flap that holds the tape straight has snapped off allowing the fence to drop or sag. 3. With round type fence you can splice the ends together with a fisherman's knot...with the tape you need special splicing hardware = more money!! 4. Save your money and use something better than the step in posts - either T-posts or wooden posts. Those "cutsie" fiberglass step in posts snap off at the ground when a bug hits them. (I swear). We have no less that 40 useless, broken off FG step-ins. If you live somewhere the wind isn't too bad the fence DOES look nice and is very visible - it just has a few shortcomings!! Jackie

NoDQhere
Jan. 21, 2009, 09:24 PM
We have miles of Horse Guard Electric tape. www.horseguardfence.com

Ours is permanant fencing so we used 3" wood posts where ever possible, but steel t posts where wood wouldn't work. It makes a very effective and good looking fence. BUT, every single t post needs to have a top on it. They are a plastic cap that fits on snuggly and holds your top strand of tape. Without tops, IMO a T post is a nasty accident waiting to happen.

The Horse Guard Fence and accessories are tough and long lasting, AND easy to install. AND economical.

crosscreeksh
Jan. 21, 2009, 09:32 PM
Yeh - that too!! By the time you cap all those posts the T-posts are no longer cost effective!

OkLurchers
Jan. 21, 2009, 10:19 PM
We've used electric tape fence for years in Oklahoma wind without trouble. I have metal t posts with the tops on them. No problem with my connecters...One of the things I like about electric fence is that is keeps people away!
BTW, my husband fixes torn tape by stapling it...no special equipment necessary.

NoDQhere
Jan. 21, 2009, 10:55 PM
Yeh - that too!! By the time you cap all those posts the T-posts are no longer cost effective!

Yes, I'll agree on that. Steel has gotten very high. I just bought a few 5 1/2 foot t posts yesterday and they were $4.29 each. The tops add another .50 or so, so they aren't cheap. The wood posts were considerably cheaper, and it doesn't take a very big wood post for the horse guard tape. We were getting 3" x 6'6" posts for $3.69. But if you are putting up temporary fence, t posts are much easier than wood.

Also we have had winds up to 87 MPH and our Horse Guard has held up well.

Frank B
Jan. 22, 2009, 09:12 AM
The farm where I board uses heavy-duty T-posts with large caps that support heavy-gauge galvanized fence wire. Old telephone poles with cross-bracing are used at the corners and intersections. Experiences with tape and rope for long-term use have been less than stellar as compared to the wire.

While you're planning the fence, download and consult the Parmak manual (http://www.parmakusa.com/Install/Parmak_Energizer_Booklet_English.pdf) for installation methods, especially the grounding. It'll save a lot of headaches in the future.

Grande Isle Farm
Jan. 22, 2009, 11:19 AM
Another less expensive alternative to the t-bar posts for "temporary" fencing is to use construction rebar. You can have them cut to any lengths. You can purchase the "round post" insulators that will hold the tape, and then you top it with a cap (again we use the specialty caps, WCB approved for rebar on construction sites), therefore lessening the chance of potential injury. It has worked great for us in the past.:)

Here is a picture so you get the "jist".....
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r274/grandeislefarm/BabyRubyDay3.jpg

CB/TB
Jan. 22, 2009, 01:00 PM
I have Tposts with caps as well as telephone poles ( for corners and mid sections) and 4x4 timbers( railroad ties) . I have 4' livestock fencing now, but have used the tape or round electric on insulators . My trainer made her fencing look quite nice by covering the Tposts with white PVC cut to fit(cheaper than made for fencing slip on covers) with caps. She attached the tape fasteners and ran wide white electric tape and it looks like nice white wood or plastic fencing. She bought 16'lengths then cut into 4'lengths and slipped them over the posts. She does have to periodically tighten the tape, but it works well for her.

NoDQhere
Jan. 22, 2009, 03:08 PM
The farm where I board uses heavy-duty T-posts with large caps that support heavy-gauge galvanized fence wire. Old telephone poles with cross-bracing are used at the corners and intersections. Experiences with tape and rope for long-term use have been less than stellar as compared to the wire.

While you're planning the fence, download and consult the Parmak manual (http://www.parmakusa.com/Install/Parmak_Energizer_Booklet_English.pdf) for installation methods, especially the grounding. It'll save a lot of headaches in the future.

I would never use electrified wire of any kind for horses. If a horse gets caught in hot wire, it will slice a leg like a knife. I'm not real fond of the rope for the same reason. There have been horrible accidents with hot wire and rope. The tape will break BEFORE it cuts.

thatmoody
Jan. 22, 2009, 10:23 PM
We hauled a horse this year to the hospital after he got caught in rope. Never will use it again - not cost effective when you have a $4000 vet bill for joint infusion. The tape looks ok, but where we are now has small gauge wire with board tops and an electrical tape topper - I like that.

scpezold
Jan. 22, 2009, 11:24 PM
I use 2 strands of 7/8 tape. I have 6ft t-posts (5ft once in ground). I purchased 1 1/2 or 2'' round pvc and cut it to 5 ft. I purchased the nail in tape insulators and purchased screws that were long enough to go through the nail hole and into the pvc. I then purchased long zip ties and ran 2 of them in a figure eight through the insulators and around the pvc to more insure the insulators would stay attached to the round pvc. I have two insulators per pole (for two strands of tape). It has worked perfectly and I have been able to section off sections of our pasture for my 2 yo colt who is graduating from stall rest. He is fine with the tape but has been exposed to it and respects it.
I will try to take picture tomorrow and post. T-post sleeves are like $5-$7 each. I think I made these for around $1-$2. Super simple.

Same as what CB/TB did. Sorry, saw her post after writing

ddb
Jan. 23, 2009, 08:42 PM
Thanks everyone for the great ideas!! Always get great advise from everyone on this BB.

I will look into making the post covers from pvc pipes - seems the most cost effective for temporary fencing and I never thought of doing it that way. Thank you for the manual Frank B - best to do it right the first time!

BasqueMom
Jan. 23, 2009, 10:30 PM
PVC covers made from plumbing PVC doesn't have UV protection and will degrade from the sun. Most of the covers (at least ours) have interior "fins" that keep the covers from
twisting on the T-post.