PDA

View Full Version : toyota tundra v8 - suitable for towing?

cdalt
Jan. 21, 2009, 09:48 AM
I need a new (used) pick up that will mostly be used for general stuff - bringing home some feed/hay, taking garbage to the dump, etc. But I do haul a two horse bumper pull Trailet with dressing room (about 3500 lbs., I think) with two 1200-1300 lb. horses once a week or so. I'm considering the newer 2008 -2009 Toyota Tundra, V8 model, because I've had such bad luck with my Dodge Ram (many repairs even though it has low mileage for it's age). Do any of you haul with a Tundra? Does the Toyota brand make it a more reliable vehicle in your opinion? Do you think it needs to be 4WD? Any other recommendations for a good, reliable truck? Thanks for your help.

cowgirljenn
Jan. 21, 2009, 09:56 AM
We've hauled from Texas to Michigan and back and all around Michigan while we lived there with a Toyota Tundra. It hauled very well, although I don't think I would haul anything bigger than a two horse trailer. And so far, the truck is holding up well at 150K miles.

Sparky Boy
Jan. 21, 2009, 10:41 AM
I just bought an 08 Tundra 5.7 V8 last month. Very nice truck IMO. I haven't towed with it yet but the max towing capacity is over 10,000 lbs. Mine is 4x4 but it depends on your situation as to whether or not you will want it.

I initally looked at the new fords and was thoroughly unimpressed.

Also if you search, I think there are two topics discussing the Tundra.

Sing Mia Song
Jan. 21, 2009, 04:08 PM
I haul a 16-foot aluminum gooseneck (6000# empty) with a 2006 full-size Tundra. I LOVE it. It is plenty powerful enough.

I have heard people say that you don't need 4 x 4 in a hauling truck and I think that's rubbish. I know plenty of people without it that had to be towed out of the horse show grounds with a tractor. To me, it's like studying for the SATs and forgetting your Number 2 pencil.

CanterQueen
Jan. 21, 2009, 04:12 PM
I have an '06 Tundra (4x4 V8) and pull a newer Hawk 2-horse bumper-pull. I've towed in the mountains and felt fine with it. Averages about 15 miles to the gallon when NOT towing.

Rated Number 1 in Consumer Reports for reliablity that year. Not that reliability is going to help you tow, but it's been a great truck; tows fine and we haven't had any issues at all with it.

Sparky Boy
Jan. 21, 2009, 04:12 PM
I have heard people say that you don't need 4 x 4 in a hauling truck and I think that's rubbish. I know plenty of people without it that had to be towed out of the horse show grounds with a tractor. To me, it's like studying for the SATs and forgetting your Number 2 pencil.

I agree 100%. I would never own a 4x2 truck. Seems pointless, but that's just me.

kookicat
Jan. 21, 2009, 04:14 PM
I have its baby sister- a Toyota Hilux and love it. Great truck, gives me no problems, tows very well. :yes:

Sparky Boy
Jan. 21, 2009, 04:14 PM
I think it was chosen truck of the year 07' & 08' by JD Power, FWIW.

GreatMare
Jan. 23, 2009, 02:11 PM
I just bought an '07 5.7L V8 Tundra and so far I LOVE it! I plan to do moderate hauling with it and from the research I did before I bought it, it will do the job just fine. Mine is rated for 10,300 lbs towing, but I don't plan to haul nearly that much.

I've seen the "can Tundras tow" question a lot on here. I'm getting the brake controller installed next week - and I'll keep everyone up to date on what I think of it's hauling abilities :-).

Go Fish
Jan. 23, 2009, 06:47 PM
Is this a half-ton truck or a 3/4-ton truck? I won't haul horses without at least a 3/4-ton truck, I don't care what anyone says. You need the wheel-base.

FootPerfect
Jan. 23, 2009, 06:52 PM
I currently have a 4x2 and it's a huge mistake. 3 times now my BO has had to pull my rig out at the barn. Don't get anything but a 4x4. You can tow a tag-a-long with a half ton, but go up to a 3/4 or 1 ton for a goose or 5th wheel.

Lincoln
Jan. 23, 2009, 08:42 PM
It is a half ton with some capacities - braking, load and pulling - more like a 3/4 ton. I have an '08, which is the larger model, that I am very happy with. I used to pull with a one ton dually that I bought after hating a Ford half ton and am perfectly happy with this - pulled the same very heavy stainless steel trailer with all three trucks. Also has nice other amenities like four doors, lots of airbags, traction and stability control that are expensive options in american trucks, and you can get the functional stuff without leather and chrome if you . More than fine for a two horse. I have had to be careful to use weight distribution bars if I've got a heavy load - like full trailer and a bed of hay. This rig is not going to effortlessly carry 40 bales of hay the way a 3/4 ton will. But it drives great, and I have been very happy with its handling thus far. Good luck! Zero percent financing was nice, too.

2bee
Jan. 23, 2009, 09:05 PM
Is this a half-ton truck or a 3/4-ton truck? I won't haul horses without at least a 3/4-ton truck, I don't care what anyone says. You need the wheel-base.

You should probably care what someone says........after all you dont even understand what wheelbase is yet.

Snapdragon
Jan. 23, 2009, 09:25 PM
I have a 2000 or 2001 Toyota Tundra that I've been hauling with for the past 6-7 years. It's been great. I have a Featherlite two-horse bumper pull with dressing room. I've done several long hauls from MD to NC, SC, and FL and back and lots of local hauling.

Truck now has about 160,000 miles. Never any problems--have had to do only routine maintenance. On the long hauls with two horses, I had to stop about every 2.5 hours to refuel.

If or when this one gives up the ghost, I'm hoping to get one of the newer models made specifically for pulling a trailer.

veebug22
Jan. 23, 2009, 09:42 PM
We have an 08 Toyota Tundra Crewmax. Amazing! I wouldn't feel comfortable regularly towing a 3-horse or even towing a 3-horse for a long distance, but I comfortably tow a 2-horse. The dealership told my husband he could expect about equal towing capacity to an F-250. Don't even really feel it back there. I've towed in blizzards, on ice, up steep hills -- that truck is a powerhouse! I love it. And it is so nice to drive and roomy inside. I would totally have one for myself (ours is technically my hubby's) if I could afford another payment and the gas -- which I couldn't, but I love it THAT much! It's also been very, very reliable.

costco_muffins
Jan. 24, 2009, 02:22 AM
We have a Tundra that pulls a two horse Brenderup; it is amazing. Pulls up and over the Cascades regularly at normal speeds.

However, we recently hauled a different two-horse BP with a Ford 350 Diesel, and it was even nicer for towing. BF commented frequently on how nice the Ford was, that he wasn't worried about stopping or starting (which we normally aren't worried about, but apparently the Ford was making him extra at ease).

Personally, I think the Tundra is a way nicer vehicle, but the towing power of a 350 Ford and a V8 Tundra can't really be compared. Decide what you want!

Eyemadonkee
Jan. 26, 2009, 11:20 PM
Love mine. No complaints!!