PDA

View Full Version : NEED JINGLES - for my barn kitty (happy update page 4)

Amwrider
Jan. 19, 2009, 08:13 PM
Bob is my black Manx kitty that back in 2002 a customer found as a kitten, tangled up in a fishing net. He turned into the best barn kitty, a fierce hunter, huge (16 pounds) that would bring down rabbits in the field. He sired a couple of litters and I have two daughters and a son of his also. He is the coolest cat and will sit on command, will sit up on his haunches and will give a "high-five" also.

In 2005 I moved barns and took him with me. He became my house cat. In 2006 he got a urethral blockage and I spent a fortune getting the PU surgery that basically amounts to "gender reassignment" for the male cats.

A couple of weeks ago I noticed that he had blood in his urine. I took him to the vet and they said that it was still lower urinary tract which is good. I am to keep him on the urinary tract food which he was getting anyways, and he was put on a medicine called Orbax for 15 days.

Bob apparently stopped eating. I am not sure when, I have four house cats and I guess they finished what he didn't. I looked up Orbax and apparently it can have this effect, I stopped giving it after 13 days.

He has lost a lot, I can't believe how thin he now feels and he slowly walks wherever he needs to go. He doesn't sit, he lays, and he is not purring. I have an appointment in the morning. I am hoping they can get him on some fluids to help him and I pray that his kidneys are not shutting down.

I gave him some Pedialyte earlier and he threw it up, but since then I have managed to finger feed him a couple of tablespoons of wet cat food. One of my customers brought me some home-made chicken soup so I also managed to get him to drink about 9 cc's of chicken broth.

He still manages to walk all the way to the litterbox to use it, but he walks in and is peeing over the side onto the linoleum. The pee is still a little pinkish but not dark like two weeks ago.

I am just very worried that tomorrow I may have to put him down. I need all the jingles anyone can spare, he is only 6 1/2 years old and is the sweetest cat out.

Over the Hill
Jan. 19, 2009, 08:30 PM
I'm so sorry for you and your kitty. I will be thinking of you. . .:(

ddashaq
Jan. 19, 2009, 08:45 PM
Big jingles from Kentucky! I am a cat person and totally understand how worried you must be.

cheryl ann
Jan. 19, 2009, 08:47 PM
Prayers for both of you.

BTW I have a PU boy, too, but he has never been on the standard PU vet diet. My boy will be six in August, his surgery was also in 2006.

I sincerely hope your boy gets well.

Amwrider
Jan. 19, 2009, 09:13 PM
He seems to have perked up a bit, he had the food and broth just over an hour ago and he rested but has since gone to the litterbox again and then walked into the other room and was lying next to the water bowl. I think he drank a bit.

Bob as a kitten, playing in the shetland pony's tail.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v299/amwrider/?action=view&current=bob-tail1.jpg

Bob at about 6 months
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v299/amwrider/?action=view&current=Bob-sit.jpg

Giving high-five
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v299/amwrider/?action=view&current=Bob-hi5.jpg

Just a couple of weeks ago when he first started getting sick
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v299/amwrider/?action=view&current=100_9361.jpg

BasqueMom
Jan. 19, 2009, 09:19 PM
More jingles--what a cutie!

SandyHTF
Jan. 19, 2009, 09:36 PM
What a gorgeous, game guy. I love the high 5s! Mega jingles for you and your kitty. I have had two that seemed in pretty bad shape make it another year or two on a wish and a prayer. They are amazingly resilient souls and I wish you many more special days with him.

Laurierace
Jan. 19, 2009, 09:38 PM
Well considering my barn cat spent three months living in my bedroom getting subcue fluids several times per day and being finger fed, I know how they can wiggle their way into your heart. I hope they can fix him for you.

Baroquecoco
Jan. 19, 2009, 09:46 PM
lighting a candle here in virginia for you and bob.

Buffyblue
Jan. 19, 2009, 11:56 PM
What a handsome boy! I love black cats (have 4 myself). I had a Siamese male who got the same thing but never quite fully blocked. We did antibiotics every time it happened but it kept coming back until one vet decided to try him on some homeopathic remedy that worked! He never got it again, and lived to be 20 years old! JINGLES!!

Amwrider
Jan. 20, 2009, 12:38 AM
Two of Bob's babies that I kept are black and have 3 inch tails. They are my barn kitties, Onyx and Shadow and they are hunters just like daddy was. The other baby I kept is Penelope and the best I can describe her is a "blue" gray color and she has no tail like her daddy. She is a house kitty.

Bob fully blocked back in 2006 but I caught it early enough. I was not told to put him on any special diet but did put him on the Purina Urinary Tract dry food which has kept him well up until now. I also use filtered water for the kitties instead of straight well water.

amdfarm
Jan. 20, 2009, 01:08 AM
Sending HUGE jingles for Bob!! Hope he can get over this little hump. He's beautiful.

((((HUGS)))) from Seabiscuit (Biscuit) and Mouse, my barn turned to house kitties.

eventchic33
Jan. 20, 2009, 08:05 AM
Many jingles from us and special kitty nuzzles from Bug, Tinkerbelle, Pixie, Grey Kitty and Orange Kitty. Hope he feels better!

Amwrider
Jan. 20, 2009, 09:37 AM
Well he is at the vet's right now. They are running some bloodwork and giving him subcue fluids. Keep jingling!

War Admiral
Jan. 20, 2009, 09:40 AM
Awwwww, jingles for your kitty!!!!

seejp083
Jan. 20, 2009, 09:45 AM
Jingles for Bob and you - I know how stressful it is to have a sick pet. Keep us posted!

TKR
Jan. 20, 2009, 09:47 AM
HUGE jingles for Bob!! Love my cats dearly and have gone through the urinary problems with several. Boomer, one I raised on a bottle, had it twice and they removed his penis, finding his urethra was actually too narrow and causing the problem. Had problems with a couple of others and lost my wonderful Tucker to a blockage. So, here's hoping your kitty was caught in time and they can fix it!
PennyG

Amwrider
Jan. 20, 2009, 12:42 PM
HUGE jingles for Bob!! Love my cats dearly and have gone through the urinary problems with several. Boomer, one I raised on a bottle, had it twice and they removed his penis, finding his urethra was actually too narrow and causing the problem.

That is the PU surgery that Bob had back in 2006, urethra blocked so they remove the sexual organs and re-route the urethra and widen it. Bob became a "barbara."

Things are not looking good. His potassium levels are very, very high and so is his blood sugar. They have to give him an IV to bring the potassium levels down, hoping he doesn't go into cardiac arrest. They also have to give him insulin. I just went over a little bit ago and they brought him out for me prior to hooking up the IV. The tech was amazed at how he perked up when he saw me.

Keep jingling everybody, Bob needs them.

Holly Jeanne
Jan. 20, 2009, 12:49 PM
More Kentucky jingles from me and my five cats.

DeeThbd
Jan. 20, 2009, 12:50 PM
Warmest wishes and chin scritchies and jingles for Bob!
Dee

Fharoah
Jan. 20, 2009, 01:17 PM
Poor kitty, tons of jingles!!

li'l bit
Jan. 20, 2009, 01:21 PM
Jingling like mad for Bob and you.

Amwrider
Jan. 20, 2009, 05:19 PM
I think the jingles are working. I called and the vet says Bob is responding well and is no longer laying down in the cage, he is sitting up. Keep jingling!

Buffyblue
Jan. 20, 2009, 07:16 PM
That's good news! Still jingling!

cavalli
Jan. 20, 2009, 07:38 PM
Lots of jingles for Bob fron NC hoping for a quick recovery

2DogsFarm
Jan. 21, 2009, 01:36 PM
Jingling and hoping for a positive update ASAP!

Tell Bob, Ms Independence offers to murder whatever ails him, much the same way she dispatches any mouse foolish enough to visit 2 Dogs Farm.

equusvilla
Jan. 21, 2009, 02:13 PM
Poor baby ...I said a prayer for Bob. Hope he is hunting again real soon!

Amwrider
Jan. 21, 2009, 03:18 PM
I talked to the vet assistand around lunch time and they said he was very perky. We don't have bloodwork yet for today, they were doing that right after lunch and no call with results yet.

GreyHunterHorse
Jan. 21, 2009, 03:27 PM
Jingling for another kitty!

Amwrider
Jan. 21, 2009, 04:49 PM
Bloodwork looks great but he is still not eating on his own yet.

Amwrider
Jan. 22, 2009, 11:52 AM
Bob is eating like a pig and has been asking for rubs and scritches from the staff but he is urinating what looks like pure blood. They called me to ask if he could have gotten into rat poison, but he has been a completely indoor cat for a couple of years so I know that is not the case.

It might just be the UTI (which had seemed to be etting better prior to this) is now raging out of control with his weakened system but they said they also can't rule out bladder cancer.

mkevent
Jan. 22, 2009, 11:55 AM
Jingling like mad-poor Bob!!

Tiki
Jan. 22, 2009, 12:00 PM
Humphrey, Snickers and Peanut are jingling all their mouse toys with the bells on their tails for Bob.

li'l bit
Jan. 22, 2009, 02:23 PM
Still jingling for Bob.

Huntertwo
Jan. 22, 2009, 03:16 PM
Sounds like he is hopefully on track to recoveryl...Go Bob!!

Amwrider
Jan. 23, 2009, 05:09 PM
Jingles have been working! Bob has responded well to the antibiotics and his urine is almost normal, just a little pink as opposed to the dark red from yesterday. Looks like he is well on his way to recovery and I should be able to bring him home in another hour. The vet wants one last check on him. Yay Bob ! ! ! ! Booo vet bill :eek:

equusvilla
Jan. 23, 2009, 05:29 PM
Yeah! That is very good news. I know how relieved you will be when he is at home!

mkevent
Jan. 23, 2009, 05:35 PM
I'm so happy to hear that Bob's feeling better!

eventchic33
Jan. 23, 2009, 06:22 PM
YAY YAY YAY
>>>>>>>dances happy dance with own kitties~~~see it worked guys

Amwrider
Jan. 23, 2009, 09:40 PM
He is still pretty listless and has had an accident since coming home. He has not eaten since his arrival but he had just eaten at the vet clinic

eventchic33
Jan. 23, 2009, 10:09 PM
Awwww poor baby. And I bet he was terribly embarrassed too. Lots of hugs and jingles still going out to you and Bob. Kitties are the bestest.

Amwrider
Jan. 23, 2009, 10:49 PM
I am afraid to be optimistic. I think I would feel more comfortable if he were eating. His favorite hiding place has always been behind the file drawer and that is where he is now. I pulled out the drawer and taped up a heating pad on "low" for him and put a towel down.

etc.
Jan. 23, 2009, 10:53 PM
I haven't read the whole thread, but saw you'd feel better if he was eating. One vet told me when my kitty wouldn't eat to try the tuna water from a can of tuna fish. It worked. Then I eventually mixed in a little chicken baby food. Jingles for your kitty!

Amwrider
Jan. 24, 2009, 12:09 AM
He was eating quite a bit at the vet for the last day so I am hoping he just is full right now. The heating pad I bought seems to have a shut off timer that will only keep the heating pad going for one hour :mad: I guess I will also get out the hot water bottle. It is a bit chilly in the house and want him to be comfy.

I will try the tuna water in the morning. He wasn't interested in some milk I offered earlier. He ate a lot at the vet for the last day I was told.

Edited to say thank God for the 24 hour WalMart. Just had to go buy a hot water bottle because I couldn't find my old one.

Adelita
Jan. 24, 2009, 09:39 AM
He's GOT to eat.
go to the pharmacy, ask for the free oral-dosing syringes they keep for children.

Mix canned cat food with warm water and force feed him, a little at a time.

Is he diabetic? You said the blood glucose was high. Diabetes is not a death sentence...go to www.felinediabetes.com
http://www.felinediabetes.com/phorum5/list.php?8 is the message board, they are GREAT. Even if you aren't sure if he is diabetic, read the stuff...

(((((((hugs))))))) and kisses to your baby.

Amwrider
Jan. 24, 2009, 10:10 AM
His bloodwork was initially all over the place. Once they got him stabilized I think his glucose levels returned to normal. I will ask the vet on Monday. Overnight Bob apparently went to the litterbox, had a small accident about a foot away from it. Then went to sleep on the sofa :winkgrin:

Valeureux
Jan. 24, 2009, 10:18 AM
jingles for bob! he's adorable :)

Amwrider
Jan. 24, 2009, 07:55 PM
He's eating! Yay Bob!

I see how he has his accidents though. he walks to the litterbox, puts his front paws on and then it looks like he pees outside the box. Good thing it is on linoleum....

He is getting around better and better, he actually managed a semi-trot across the room, it was a little wobbly but he managed for a few steps.

etc.
Jan. 24, 2009, 08:54 PM
So glad he's eating!:)
My daughter has a cat that had urinary infections. The vet suggested that she give him a bit of apple cider vinegar as maintenance. Not sure how much, but I'll try to remember to ask her tomorrow..

TKR
Jan. 24, 2009, 09:08 PM
YEA BOB!!! What a good Mommy you are!! Kudos to you and jingles for Bob.
PennyG

Griffyn
Jan. 24, 2009, 10:02 PM
Jingles for Bob, and for you too.

crewgirl34
Jan. 24, 2009, 10:27 PM
He's eating! Yay Bob!

I see how he has his accidents though. he walks to the litterbox, puts his front paws on and then it looks like he pees outside the box. Good thing it is on linoleum....

You might think about buying some puppy pads to help with the little accidents. I'm so happy that Bob is back home and starting to act normal!

tikihorse2
Jan. 24, 2009, 11:36 PM
I just found this thread--MEGA jingles and prayers from me, kitty head-bunts from Buster, Evy and Skittles!

Hope your Bob is all better soon!

Kim

Tiki
Jan. 25, 2009, 09:22 AM
Yay Bob, come on Bob, you can do it!!

shea'smom
Jan. 26, 2009, 08:16 AM
Jingles from me and my 7 cats!!!

Amwrider
Jan. 26, 2009, 09:01 PM
He is doing so well. He is getting stronger and stronger and I haven't seen him have an accident since Saturday evening. He is able to get into the litterbox to use it, It hink that before he was just too sore or weak to lift his hind legs into it. He is walking around just fine, no more wobbling, and he is "talking" to me quite a bit when I am around.

He is still pretty thin, he also has not been eating the Urinary Tract kibble, the vet gave me a bag of Purina DM which is for diabetic cats, they do not think he is diabetic though, because that is what he ate most readily at the clinic. He is eating the DM food though.

Bob thanks everyone for their jingles and so do I!

JumpingJack
Jan. 26, 2009, 09:16 PM
Amwrider,

The hard kibble is supposedly not good for cats, especially ones with UTI issues. Even the kibble that is made for the UTI cat is not good for them. I have two kitties, and neither have this issue, but I am very interested in keeping them as healthy as possible since the hubby and I love them like our kids. I frequent cat forums as a lurker and most people there steer away from dry food.

Check out this link: http://www.catinfo.org/

It is sooo interesting and makes total sense. Always check the amount of carbs in your cat food and don't even feed anything that starts with "by-product". Read the entire site and then change Bob's diet. I know the vet gives you the special diet, but it is still kibble and cats don't drink very much to start with. In their diet in the wild, they depend on moisture from their prey. The concept of poor teeth due to too much soft food is not correct. Stay away from supermarket brands. We feel Eagle Pack, or Core food and both these brands are very high on the protein scale and low on the carbs. Our two kitties are healthy as ever.

I don't want to sound like a fanatic, but please read the above link. Everyone should. Cat's are not meant to eat dry diets, and this is what contributes to poor health.

Big snuggles to Bob. You are a fantastic mommy!

Amwrider
Jan. 27, 2009, 09:19 AM
One of my customers is also telling me this, her cat is on a prescription diet for UTI . Great information on this link. I am going to check out the Wellness cat food today!

Larksmom
Jan. 27, 2009, 12:51 PM
I have had cats for around 50 years by now. We have always fed canned food to them. However I got tired of the cats waking me up to be fed, so I got my current two on dry kibble. These two are going to be 16 this year, a brother and sister. In the last two years, after keeping dogs and cats off canned, I reluctantly gave in and began to give them all canned. Oh my! They are in love. But now, I am pestered constantly, is it time to eat? These two cats, have had skin allergies, which seem to be doing better, but I think it is because it is winter.
Anyway, jingles for your kittie! I know how much i love mine.

equusvilla
Jan. 27, 2009, 04:29 PM
Glad to hear your kitty is getting better. It was not until yesterday that our Corgi started eatting a normal amount of food for the day.

Liberty
Jan. 27, 2009, 05:04 PM
Amwrider,

So glad to hear your kitty is feeling better! :)

Just wanted to add my .02 to this discussion after what I've been through with one of my (house) cats:

Back in the summer of 2006, he starting having urinary problems. Frequent trips to the litter box, not making it there most of the time, "sprinkling" everywhere. Vet did all sorts of diagnostics: blood tests, urine tests (even taking it directly from his bladder), x-rays. Nothing found. The only thing left was to do an ultrasound, which was another $300 on top of the $1K I'd already spent. She was not optimistic that it would find anything, so I said forget it.

The only thing that helped him were steroid shots, but that only worked for a couple of days. We did this 3 times, and I knew I needed to find another solution. His official diagnosis was "idiopathic cystitis".

I got online and found this stuff:
http://www.nativeremedies.com/petalive/uti-free-cat-dog-urinary-tract-health.html

Figured what did I have to lose, and ordered some. Whoa! That stuff WORKS! I started out giving it to him directly into his mouth (put some on a teaspoon and just dumped it in), 5-6 times/day for about a week. I am not kidding - within 24 hours, his trips to the litter box had lessened considerably, and he was very comfortable. It was amazing. I dropped back to 3x/day and started just putting it in his food. Still worked great. I am still giving it to him 2x/day in his food. Just a few granules - one of those bottles lasts me about 10 months or so.

THEN, last December, right before Christmas, he suddenly seemed a little under the weather. Ravenous appetite, drinking like crazy, peeing copious amounts. He was NOT overweight, and his coat was shiny and slick.

Back to the vet we go. Blood tests showed his blood glucose very high at 456 (normal is up to around 170, 300 max for a "vet stressed" kitty). Vet wanted to wait until after Christmas to get into the insulin injection thing. Sent me home with special diabetic cat food (one of which was Purina DM dry).

Of course I went back online and found some feline diabetes groups. Found out that Purina DM dry wasn't the best thing to feed, and instead of that expensive canned food from the vet, it appeared I could feed Fancy Feast (only certain varieties though).

He had previously been on Wellness grain-free canned and Natural Balance dry, so I hadn't been feeding him "junk food" (or so I thought). I'm assuming it was the combo of steroid injections and the high-carb Natural Balance dry that sent him into the diabetic zone.

I returned the DM dry food the next day and stocked up on the "allowable" Fancy Feast varieties as per the online recommendations I found on several sites. Quit feeding my kitty dry food, and put him on Fancy Feast canned only.

Recheck at the vet a week later, and his blood glucose was down to 230. The vet tech was amazed that he hadn't been put on insulin the week before, but said that whatever I was doing was obviously working. He had lost a pound though (down to 12 from 13), which concerned her.

So I put him on schedule where he gets one (3 oz) can of Fancy Feast every six hours. Keeps him happy, and it looks like he's gained that pound back, but not getting fat. :)

I also put him on B12 (the methylcobalamin type) since he had been showing some signs of rear-end difficulities (i.e., not running up his cat tree, going slow up and down the steps where he used to run up and down), and that has helped immensely. I get a specific type which is a small pill that grinds up very easily, which I then put in his food 1x/day.

Info about B12:
http://www.lifelinknet.com/siteResources/Products/Xobaline-cats.asp

The cheapest price I've found:
http://www.applehealthstore.com/shop/index.cfm?frm=details&piid=486&kw=xobalineg

Sorry for such a long post, but just wanted to cover everything at once. :)

I hope your kitty continues to do well!

Amwrider
Jan. 28, 2009, 08:39 AM
I am going to order that UTI remedy. Bob is using the litterbox pretty frequently and I am not sure if he is still eating. He seems interested when I put his food down but then sniffs it and walks away. I do know that he is drinking. I am wondering if his tummy hurts too much from his bladder problems and he just doesn't want to eat because of it.

I will be picking up the Wellness wet cat food today, I found a place local to me that sells it.

edited - just ordered the UTI stuff for next-day delivery.

eventchic33
Jan. 28, 2009, 09:59 AM
Try feeding him scrambled eggs with tuna juice mixed in. He may not want to eat because nothing tastes or smells good. I know when I am sick it takes something pretty yummy to induce me to eat.

More Nuzzles from mine to yours.

etc.
Jan. 28, 2009, 07:31 PM
My cat that I gave tuna juice to seemedto not want to eat quite a few times. So, with the vet's blessing, I gave him a tablespoon of tuna juice every morning from the time he was 16 until I had to have him put to sleep at 22. He never wanted to eat canned food or the actual tuna, just dry food. A couple times as he got older of he wasn't eating, I would mix baby food turkey or chicken, tuna water, and pediolytes. Then I would squirt a little in his mouth with a dropper or syringe. It usually got his appetite going.

Amwrider
Jan. 30, 2009, 09:08 AM
I got the bottle of the UTI free from Native remedies yesterday and started Bob on it, hoping for the best. He is eating a little bit of the DM food but wouldn't touch the Wellness wet food. I think for now I am just going to get him eating and then try to switch him over later.

He is interested in food and will come to the bowl and eat a little, then go to the litterbox, then go lie down. A lot of the food dissapears overnight but I don't know if it is him or the other cats.

When I am in the house, he is my shadow and is usually never more than two or three feet from me.

He is much more alert and last night he surprised me by jumping up on my lap while I was on the computer. He just purred and purred. :) He hasn't felt good enough to do that in weeks!

Amwrider
May. 27, 2009, 09:05 AM
Just an update on my kitty, he is in great health and is eating and drinking well and very active. His weight is back up over the 10 pound mark but I don't know exactly where he is weight wise, he is quite a plumpy boy though.

The funny thing is when I picked him up, he had the shaved leg for the IV and also a large bald patch on the underside of his neck. The vet said they didn't do anything there and thought maybe he just started dropping hair from stress.

The hair has grown in roaned so I have a black cat with a roan patch on his neck. I will have to get pictures.

Guin
May. 27, 2009, 09:12 AM
Another very yummy kitty delicacy is cod liver oil. They sell it in bottles at the grocery store, usually by the fish counter. A drizzle of it over the regular food is a great way to get them to eat.

I hope Bob is well on the way to recovery!