PDA

View Full Version : Dog blanketting or Could my puppy be cold?

EquusMagnificus
Jan. 19, 2009, 09:36 AM
I have two dogs. One is a 4 year-old German Shepherd/Doberman cross female. I have had her since she was a tiny pup and I have never blanketed her. She is full of life and energy and can not be tired out. We'll play for ours in 4-foot deep snow and she won't show any signs of being cold or unhappy.

This year, we got a Rottweiler/Doberman cross puppy. He seems to get cold very easily. But I am wondering, seeing as my other dog never got cold as a puppy if his shivering is really out of being cold or is it excitement or fear? He is still quite young (11 or 12 weeks old) and it would also make sense that he might get a little scared in the big outdoors and thus, would be trembling.

My question is... Do these type of dogs (Rottweiler/Doberman) need blanketing?

If so, I'll just make him one today. :yes:

leakyb
Jan. 19, 2009, 09:40 AM
I have dobermans and "YES" they get quite cold in winter.

They wear turn out coats and have fleece pajamas to sleep in indoors on frigid days, as we keep the heat down.

Good thing you can make one becasue obviously that pup will outgrow doggie balnkets every other week with that Rottie/Dobe cross baby!

bugsynskeeter
Jan. 19, 2009, 01:27 PM
I bring my two mutts out to the barn with me all the time. Once the cold weather hit, I noticed how cold they seemed to get and they didn't like coming out to the barn anymore. I bought them both SmartPak blankets for Christmas and since they have had them, they are so much happier!

sublimequine
Jan. 19, 2009, 01:29 PM
I have dobermans and "YES" they get quite cold in winter.

They wear turn out coats and have fleece pajamas to sleep in indoors on frigid days, as we keep the heat down.

Good thing you can make one becasue obviously that pup will outgrow doggie balnkets every other week with that Rottie/Dobe cross baby!

:yes:

Dobies can get real cold real easily. We've NEVER blanketed dogs.. but when we had a Dobie, when he was a younger puppy, he was blanketed. When he was an adult and filled out, he didn't get cold. But as a scrawny gangly puppy, he shivered without it.

Simkie
Jan. 19, 2009, 01:31 PM
Both of my Ridgebacks have wardrobes. They will refuse to go out to pee in the cold unless they're bundled up. :lol:

BoysNightOut
Jan. 19, 2009, 01:34 PM
My Cattle Dog/Border Collie comes to the barn with me a lot, and my Boyfriend & I take her and his dogs out hiking at night, usually in the cold. I'm sure she feels fine, as she's a ball of energy, but I always put on her Schneiders Turnout Blanket as snow often clumps on her long fur. :)

pintopiaffe
Jan. 19, 2009, 01:42 PM
Young animals have far less ability to regulate body heat. What I don't know is at what age that changes. For foals we usually think around 3 mos...

I have a 1/2 Visla, she got a blanket last year for the first time. She comes over and asks me to put it on.

If I hold it up with the chest done, she'll put her head right through if she wants it on.

I've NEVER been a dog blanket person. And my other two--one is a bear with a labbie coat, the other has a coat like Mum, but close to 15lbs of 'insulation' more--though he feels the cold sometimes--they don't get cold. She refuses to go out if it's too cold. And at 9, she feels it when the house is too cold too.

I'd love to find a good 'indoor' rug for her.

Simkie
Jan. 19, 2009, 01:50 PM
I'd love to find a good 'indoor' rug for her.

I use Fido Fleece (http://www.fidofleece.com/View.aspx?page=dogs/products/apparel/fidofleece/description) or RC Pets (http://www.rcpets.com/product.php?cid=22) fleece gear as an under layer outside when it's really cold and as pjs in the house.

leakyb
Jan. 19, 2009, 03:26 PM
I just got Fido fleeces for my two for Christmas. They're not too expensive, they have cute designs and they fit very well. Those are their indoor "lounge wear'!

EquusMagnificus
Jan. 19, 2009, 03:43 PM
Yes and that's what he'll get to start! A fleece blankie :)

Because he is not shivering if he plays or runs around! Only if he stands quivering at the door to come in when he gets tired of the snow ;)

Mallard
Jan. 19, 2009, 08:02 PM
Our Dobies ...past & present...always wear blankets.
They shiver and shiver and just give you that look....

The girlie we have now also wears a t-shirt in the house.

HoneyMelon
Jan. 23, 2009, 03:29 PM
I have a Dobie and she is always cold. They are known for that and even when they are adults they will need blankets. It makes them more fun cuz it gives you an excuse to dress up a big dog.

Auventera Two
Jan. 23, 2009, 04:50 PM
I don't have Dobies, but my 3 dogs get VERY cold. All of them have a fleece Weatherbeeta, and a Weatherbeeta Kennel Coat. When it's very cold, they wear both layers.

My Weim lives in her blankets, or in a sweatshirt.