PDA

View Full Version : Putting *^#!*@ rein stops on rubber reins.

Badger
Jan. 16, 2009, 07:01 PM
I've tried on three different days to get a set of rubber rein stops onto a pair of new, buckle-end rubber reins I got from Bartleville, and the *^#!*@ things still aren't on. Do you have any handy tricks? I've warmed the rubber stops in hot water to make them more stretchable, am starting at the bit end, and can't even get them over the keeper, much less the buckle. ACK!!!

What am I doing wrong? I've put them on reins before, but it's been awhile.

BigRuss1996
Jan. 16, 2009, 07:09 PM
I use a hoof pick and work it over the keepers. If they are really stretchy you can put them on from the other end and stretch them over the rubber rein part.

jn4jenny
Jan. 16, 2009, 07:20 PM
Children, cover your eyes.

I used a combination of very hot water and Astroglide to do the deed on my Thinline reins. I went from the rein side, not the buckle side, and slid it all the way down the rubber part.

Seven-up
Jan. 16, 2009, 07:29 PM
Children, cover your eyes.

I used a combination of very hot water and Astroglide to do the deed on my Thinline reins. I went from the rein side, not the buckle side, and slid it all the way down the rubber part.

Why, that's a fantastic answer! I especially like how you used the phrase "do the deed." Indeed. :lol::lol:

FLeckenAwesome
Jan. 16, 2009, 07:39 PM
I always use a hoofpick but yes... Cover your eyes!!! Hoofpicks and rein stops tend to aim for your eyes!!!

Blugal
Jan. 16, 2009, 07:51 PM
Thread a piece of binder twine through the rein stop. Then pull that to stretch it over the buckle (I do one side at a time). It's a bit easier than the hoof pick (although I've done that plenty as well!).

Christa P
Jan. 16, 2009, 09:35 PM
I took my reins to a harness maker, showed him what I wanted and I am getting leather stops sewn onto my reins :D. Anyplace that does leather work should be able to do this.

Christa

nappingonthejob
Jan. 16, 2009, 10:58 PM
Here's a really excellent way to put an eye out if you're not extremely careful (and the way I've put those donuts on martingales, etc.)

Take a pair of boot pulls and put them through the rein stop. Stand on one and pull up on the other while sticking the rein through. Again, use caution and don't step off the bottom boot pull unless you want to dent your face.

One Star
Jan. 16, 2009, 11:05 PM
Here's a really excellent way to put an eye out if you're not extremely careful (and the way I've put those donuts on martingales, etc.)

Take a pair of boot pulls and put them through the rein stop. Stand on one and pull up on the other while sticking the rein through. Again, use caution and don't step off the bottom boot pull unless you want to dent your face.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Lauren!
Jan. 17, 2009, 01:27 AM
I took my reins to a harness maker, showed him what I wanted and I am getting leather stops sewn onto my reins :D. Anyplace that does leather work should be able to do this.

Christa

There's an idea! I have not been able to get rubber stops onto the laced reins of my new Courbette hunting bridle (they get hung up on the keepers... already tried all of the above tricks and almost poked my eye out ;)). I'd love to have nice dark brown leather stops added, but I wouldn't know where to take them (besides Bevals, which is really expensive :dead:) I have a good shoe-repair guy... if I could even get a partially finished pair, I'm sure he could put them on...

Edited to add... amazing what Google will find ;)

http://www.eqtack.com/catalog/product_info.php?pName=330-leather-rein-stop&cName=english-tack-parts-accs

Maybe these would be easier? At the very least my shoe-guy would be able to unstitch/put them on/restitch them for me...

broodmare
Jan. 17, 2009, 07:10 AM
I get the leather ones sewn on. The leather rein stops I have bought in the past are only sewn together on one side, leave the reins, and voila you are good to go. depends on the back log at the saddle shop.

Badger
Jan. 17, 2009, 07:55 AM
Thank you for all the ideas. At this point, the rubber ones are on. I had to go over a buckle and keeper on either end of the reins, so I got them on from the bit end. I didn't have bailing twine at the house and it was too damn cold to trek down to the barn. Having failed with a hoof pick, a spoon handle, and my teeth, I turned to a large screwdriver. Guess I was a bit too aggressive because the opening in the rein stop ripped wider, and then it was relatively easy to get on. So with the other one, I just took a knife and surgically enlarged the opening in the rubber stop by cutting each end slightly. Don't know how much this compromised the rein stop, but they are cheap and they are ON finally.

I think I may get some of those leather ones (thanks for the link!) to keep on hand in case the "surgically altered" rubber ones don't last. If I can't sew them on myself, I can probably get a shoe repair place to do it (no tack repair place handy, sigh).

Jleegriffith
Jan. 17, 2009, 08:33 AM
This is going to sound crazy but the rein stops and martingale stops they have at Bartville are super stretchy rubber compared to the stiff rubber. I think VTO also carries the really stretchy rubber stops. I have no trouble just stretching them to fit over the buckles. I use a hoofpick just to help me lift and slide but no more than 30seconds. I threw out all the other kinds!!!! Next time I go to Bartville I will buy you a big supply and send them to you. Nothing better than rein stops/martingale stops that are actually easy to put on!!!

LookinSouth
Jan. 17, 2009, 08:43 AM
This is going to sound crazy but the rein stops and martingale stops they have at Bartville are super stretchy rubber compared to the stiff rubber. I think VTO also carries the really stretchy rubber stops. I have no trouble just stretching them to fit over the buckles.

I agree. The type of rubber used to make the rein stops makes a huge difference. I bought some of the harder plastic/rubber rein stops and couldn't get them on my hook end rubber reins to save my life...nevermind buckle end!
Then I went to the local tack shop and asked them if they had anything different. They gave me the same rein stops but only made of a softer, squishier rubber that is really easy to stretch right over the hook ends. Problem solved:D.

It might just be worth ordering from one of the above places Jleegriffith mentions and getting different stops rather than driving yourself crazy.

Badger
Jan. 17, 2009, 08:57 AM
Ah-ha, I think that must be the key! I don't remember having this sort of agonizing struggle in the past, and I didn't realize the stops came in different kinds of rubber. Mystery solved. The pair I just forced on are incredible stiff and hard, even after soaking in hot water. But they do seem so "slip" a bit more on the reins since I had to enlarge the holes. The more pliable rubber would be a much better option.

JLee, I will totally take you up on your next Bartville shopping spree. Thank you!

Blugal
Jan. 17, 2009, 09:36 AM
It's the same thing with bell boots. They look the same... but if you get a softer or harder rubber it makes all the difference in a pull-on believer versus an epic struggle.

goeslikestink
Jan. 17, 2009, 02:29 PM
I've tried on three different days to get a set of rubber rein stops onto a pair of new, buckle-end rubber reins I got from Bartleville, and the *^#!*@ things still aren't on. Do you have any handy tricks? I've warmed the rubber stops in hot water to make them more stretchable, am starting at the bit end, and can't even get them over the keeper, much less the buckle. ACK!!!

What am I doing wrong? I've put them on reins before, but it's been awhile.
put them in warm water then get a bit of good strong string place one end in eyelett ( ie hole)
of the stopper and put both ends of string under your foot place another bit of string
through eyelett and pull both ends with one of your hands then the other hand shoves the buckle through easier if you do it fom the buckle end of the riens - asone is easier than the other as one has no buckle then push down to the end so its about 1/2 up from the bit end to the start of the rein end

goeslikestink
Jan. 17, 2009, 02:33 PM
It's the same thing with bell boots. They look the same... but if you get a softer or harder rubber it makes all the difference in a pull-on believer versus an epic struggle.

boots are easier to get on if warm but if you put them on upside dwon 1st its easier still then just fold them back

CarolinaGirl
Jan. 17, 2009, 06:38 PM
boots are easier to get on if warm but if you put them on upside dwon 1st its easier still then just fold them back

I don't think I've ever considered trying to put bell boots on right side out (as they would look once they are on). I also turn them inside out.. then I guess its considered upside down and on. Then just flip them over and wa la. I always love watching people who have never put belts boots on before, even with the easier kind... and I can laugh cause I too used to struggle. I hate when I catch a finger on a nail clincher though.. ouchie.

I have a favorite kind, but don't know the brand sadly. I used to get them at the big blue trailer at shows (mostly Area III). They have Eventa written on the neck (or I guess between the neck and the "bell"). I would buy them two pairs at a time... but haven't been showing lately and the ones I've been to they haven't been at. I'm down to one pair and they are starting to look a bit dingy and raggedy. Anyone know where else I can find these bell boots (if they are still being made)??

Blugal
Jan. 17, 2009, 07:16 PM
CarolinaGirl, I also love the Eventas and buy them when I see them. Had one pair on 24/7 (except winter break) last for at least 2 years.

CarolinaGirl
Jan. 17, 2009, 08:28 PM
CarolinaGirl, I also love the Eventas and buy them when I see them. Had one pair on 24/7 (except winter break) last for at least 2 years.

They do last forever! Even with little holes that I manage to put in them from catching on the clinchers. I haven't bought a pair in ages and I'm not sure where the "spare" pair went. Probably lent them out and never got them back. Did you get yours at the big blue trailer as well? I've tried googling Eventa bellboots but I never can seem to find anything... would love to have some other place to get them, I always look in every tack shop I go to but with no luck. I usually get the white ones so I like to try and keep a schooling/turn out pair and then a horse show pair.

Blugal
Jan. 17, 2009, 09:17 PM
[Continuing to veer off topic, sorry OP] Same experience as you - no luck ordering/googling - pick them up when I can. I live in the Pacific northwest and also keep white ones for at home. :-) We must be the only fervent users of this product or something!! Otherwise you'd think they'd be easier to find! I bought my last pair while spectating at Badminton.